• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

204863 204863 204863 204863

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Art Bell on April 20, 2015, 05:02:10 PM
That link allows you to compare 48 AAC with 128 MP3 and it's really hard to tell them apart, amazing. I think we will go with 48AAC and 48 MP3. If listening to tune in it will default to whatever your device can handle. Most all phones and tablets will do AAC no problem. Computers are a mixed bag, if using Chrome they will do AAC, if not they will default to MP3.

Art

They both sound really good. I had no problems playing it in Firefox, Internet Exploder, or Chrome which is my main browser.

Quote from: Art Bell on April 20, 2015, 08:45:15 PM
When you buy a smartphone they give you these cool headphones (earbuds) boy do they sound good.

Art

I never got any earbuds when I got my phone a while back, but have always enjoyed using them... and find that even the cheap ones sound pretty good while lasting for ever so long as you treat them well. I used to wear them at work, and they would block out all the noise around me so I could listen to your shows which made the days fly by.

Catsmile

Looking for Nessie 81 years nao.
See bellow:
https://g.co/doodle/t3ev5s

Catsmile

Quote from: phrodo on April 20, 2015, 11:25:14 PM
It seems as if you are the one who pompously thinks he knows me. All I did is ask a simple question about snake oil speaker cables - you apparently know the term.  Monster and Bose are both way overpriced marketing bloated tourist traps. Kllipsch is decent if/when you get to their top of the line gear. Monoprice sells decent cables at a respectable price... but they are neither the be all nor the end all of sensible wire/cabling. Anything you want to buy can be found on Amazon at the same price -- and Monoprice sells there too. I even directed a client last Summer to buy his MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL speakers from Amazon -- he wanted the BEST sound he could get for a not toooo stupid price. To me paying $1250 per speaker is kinda stupid but he had plenty of bucks in reserve. So I set him up with an Emotiva Pre and Amps and an Oppo ... and he was ectstatic... or should I say electrostatic.  8)

Bose used to be good - many years ago - I still have a pair of 1st gen 601s (real wood - true original direct-reflecting tech) that I still use for my left and rights that I bought back in '82. They SURE don't make'em like that anymore. And FYI I've been an AV professional for over 30 years - from Audio Engineer to Television Broadcast Engineer - even did a stint as an AM afternoon DJ on the radio way back in a 70's clouded former life -- ran sound for several regional rock bands = had WAY too much fun ... well y'know. These days I am a Home Theater Systems consultant and installer -- self employed and LOVE it - but sometime sub for a custom home builder for those who have WAY more money than sense ... there's a LOT of profit there. Current project for him is a $2.5M home on a golf course - with full home automation and dedicated theater as well as a media-game room that would knock your socks off.  So listen-up bucko - I do indeed know good sound .. and also overpriced hype - when I hear either. But thanks for your concern.  ;)

Not sure if good read... or not.

phrodo

Quote from: Catsmile on April 21, 2015, 12:23:54 AM

Not sure if good read... or not.

How fortunate for us all that you've learned how to copy and paste internet-meme-thingys so that you could enthrall us peons with your pithy retort. Thank you so VERY much. Please ... this way to view the Great Egress ------>>>> :o 

Catsmile

Quote from: phrodo on April 21, 2015, 12:41:40 AM
How fortunate for us all that you've learned how to copy and paste internet-meme-thingys so that you could enthrall us peons with your pithy retort. Thank you so VERY much. Please ... this way to view the Great Egress ------>>>> :o 

Thank you, for your support.
I personally liked your post.
Though it could offend the sensibilities of others, or not be up their standards as good reading, dunno. I'm in a bit of flux at the moment to sort out what makes a good post, or less than a good post.

aldousburbank

Quote from: ge30542 on April 20, 2015, 10:54:52 PM
For what it's worth, I use "Jamz" Bluetooth speaker. Baseball sized, sounds great with my phone, or kindle.
It'll sound great when someone says "From the high desert.......I'm Art Bell"
I am very pleased with my Libratone Zipp which works on wifi or airplay. For the size is the best mobile speaker I've heard, makes Bose bluetooth systems and the like sound shallow. Perfect for my bike journeys. Great sound, beefy price. ($400)

http://www.amazon.com/Libratone-LT-300-US-2801-Wireless-Portable-Speaker/dp/B009L1342A

wr250

Quote from: Art Bell on April 20, 2015, 08:45:15 PM
When you buy a smartphone they give you these cool headphones (earbuds) boy do they sound good.

Art

earbuds are great, until my dog finds them and eats them.i dont know why she eats them, ive gone through about 15 pairs in the last year...

Daggit

Quote from: wr250 on April 21, 2015, 04:54:07 AM
earbuds are great, until my dog finds them and eats them.i dont know why she eats them, ive gone through about 15 pairs in the last year...

My dogs also have a taste for earbuds.

sorefinger

Quote from: WhiteCrow on April 20, 2015, 10:11:31 PM
Well let's consider, Long Haul Truckers and RVers with Verizon cell plans and Wilson power antennas that are able to pull a signal in remarkable out of the way places. At night camping on a Rocky Mountain or shores of Lake Superior we have streamed  50+ miles away from nearest tower. Signal isn't strong enough to make a cell call, but can receive a stream,  why is that?

I've often wondered the same thing. What I came up with: the transmitter on the cell tower is more powerful than the transmitter in the cell phone.

sorefinger

Quote from: wr250 on April 21, 2015, 04:54:07 AM

Your dog eats your earbuds because you put them in your ear and ignore her.

Ewavegeek

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Daggit on April 21, 2015, 05:08:36 AM
My dogs also have a taste for earbuds.

My cat as well. She has eaten like six pair this year. I tend to sleep in them, and had to stop because I wake up with one side biten in half. LOL.

And I had to laugh at Art's comment about how Tune-In is not for us geeks! Damned straight it's not! LOL.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Ewavegeek on April 21, 2015, 05:46:05 AM
I'm not rich enough for this, but hear it produces good sound. http://www.ccrane.com/Hi-Fi-Audio/Senta-Ally-Bluetooth-Stereo-Speaker-w-FM

A listener of my podcast sent me one for free. They are pretty cool, I have used it in my car, at home, etc. I certainly couldn't afford one and was blown away by this guy's kindness. My show is not designed to make money. LMAO!

cweb

I got a little bluetooth speaker thingy (similar to the Jamz models) that sounds just great for talk radio applications. Decent bass, charges quick, lasts about 6 hours at normal volume. You don't really need one of those big speaker dealies if you can set the speaker down next to you.

Earbuds are cool, but they suck in noisy places. Since I hate noise-cancelling and don't have the money for IEMs, I just use over-the-head 'phones when it's loud out. One of my favorite cheaper buys are Sennheiser HD202 cans. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-202-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B003LPTAYI

The lower-end of Sony's MDR series phones are decent as well. You do have to break in the Sennheiser 202s a little, but they sound great for $23.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: cweb on April 21, 2015, 08:26:12 AM
I got a little bluetooth speaker thingy (similar to the Jamz models) that sounds just great for talk radio applications. Decent bass, charges quick, lasts about 6 hours at normal volume. You don't really need one of those big speaker dealies if you can set the speaker down next to you.

Earbuds are cool, but they suck in noisy places. Since I hate noise-cancelling and don't have the money for IEMs, I just use over-the-head 'phones when it's loud out. One of my favorite cheaper buys are Sennheiser HD202 cans. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-202-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B003LPTAYI

The lower-end of Sony's MDR series phones are decent as well. You do have to break in the Sennheiser 202s a little, but they sound great for $23.

Always been a fan of Sony MDR! I prefer to be headphoned when I listen to Art, or even on day to day phone calls. You miss so much if you aren't.

Kolchak

Quote from: Ewavegeek on April 20, 2015, 11:28:39 PM
I can never keep the buds in my ears...

I used to buy Sony ear buds for $40 a pop. They had decent sound, but I ended up having to re-buy at least once a year because they'd just stop working. They also didn't fit in my ears very well. One year I sprang for the Bose in-ear. I have the model with a mic, but I'm pretty sure there's a model without for a $99.

Not trying to shill, but the silicone tip Bose uses that curves around the top of the inside of the ear is amazing. I don't even notice them in, and they never fall out. It also provides the best bass I've gotten in an ear bud. Even though the cost seemed outrageous to me, they've lasted five years so far, gone overseas with me on multiple occasions and I haven't had to replace them. With how heavily I use them, they've already paid for themselves multiple times.

maureen

I have so many cats who all attack my earbuds that I now buy cheap ones at 10 pesos a pop.

Art Bell

So many technical issues solved. Now if I could only cure my back problems. If I had to be on today I would not be on, holy crap it is sore. I am headed to the Doctor this Afternoon. I really got cheated when God issued backs.

Art

eyenoeyeno

Quote from: Art Bell on April 21, 2015, 11:31:00 AM
So many technical issues solved. Now if I could only cure my back problems. If I had to be on today I would not be on, holy crap it is sore. I am headed to the Doctor this Afternoon. I really got cheated when God issued backs.

Art

Firsties

chinaclipper

so very sorry you are in pain!!  feel better soon....and MIND your Dr.!

b_dubb

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on April 21, 2015, 12:06:41 AM
204863 204863 204863 204863

We have a numbers station posting to the forum now?

drksd4848

Hey Art,

With regard to the Youtube pirates, cut them off at the pass:

This may be a no-brainer and it may have already been suggested, but in case it hasn't

Make sure you have your producer pull two or three teaser clips, (maybe a minute a piece) from your show that highlight the guest/topic from the previous night.  Stick them on youtube for free.

Infact, make sure your show has a big presence on Youtube to divert people who are sneaking around looking for the entire show.  The best defense is a good offense...

I work in television, so I kind of know the drill for this.  People try to steal our crap all the time.

Anyway, just a thought....   

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Art Bell on April 21, 2015, 11:31:00 AM

Art

on april 9, i slipped on wet tile and destroyed my back.  i now know pain on a level i didn't before, and it's easy for me to see why you wouldn't want to host a talk show with that going on.  real back pain just evaporates your will to do anything.

coaster

When I had really bad back problems, every morning I would literally have to roll out of bed, onto the floor, and lay there for an hour to try to "straighten" my back out. No one really knows how bad back pain can get until they have it. It can and has put me on the sidelines several times.

For minor back problems which I've had in the past, I've found core workouts like squats help lessen that pain.  I know Art's heard every cure under the Sun and is probably tired of it by now so I won't even pretend to know how to cure major back problems.

nextgen.fm

hope everything is going well Art!

PING

Quote from: Marc.Knight on April 20, 2015, 09:59:28 PM
Someone should make an app to make Internet casting sound like AM with crackles and fade-outs for us nostalgic folks.  Turn the crackles and fade-outs up please.
Sync it with the phone GPS so when I go under a bridge I lose signal. Ditto sync the weather app for lightning strikes in the area to give that BZZZZ sound.

inuk2600

Quote from: drksd4848 on April 21, 2015, 12:10:08 PM
Hey Art,

With regard to the Youtube pirates, cut them off at the pass:

This may be a no-brainer and it may have already been suggested, but in case it hasn't

Make sure you have your producer pull two or three teaser clips, (maybe a minute a piece) from your show that highlight the guest/topic from the previous night.  Stick them on youtube for free.

Infact, make sure your show has a big presence on Youtube to divert people who are sneaking around looking for the entire show.  The best defense is a good offense...

I work in television, so I kind of know the drill for this.  People try to steal our crap all the time.

Anyway, just a thought....

Say, isn't Youtube live streaming free and unlimited?
Just stream the audio and put title art as video (or point a cam at the cats :) )
This would relieve some of the bandwidth for the audio only streams since desktop users can just go there to listen.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2474026?hl=en

Simulcasting on youtube would also help grow listenership because of the enormous user base.

coaster

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 21, 2015, 01:14:27 PM
For minor back problems which I've had in the past, I've found core workouts like squats help lessen that pain. 
Doing a few sets of "good mornings" with light weight helped my back.