• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

Also, how do you decide which drawers to put the various kitchen items in?

Swishypants

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on January 01, 2018, 08:44:04 PM

It just has "junk drawers." No organization.

Money found in the washing machine after doing a load.

Does it belong to the person that left it in their clothes, or the person that finds it when doing the washing and drying?

Swishypants

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on January 01, 2018, 08:47:52 PM

Does it belong to the person that left it in their clothes, or the person that finds it when doing the washing and drying?

20 bucks in a book. Principle devaluation for 20 years. 2 DOLLA'!

Jojo

For a household of how many?

albrecht

Quote from: Jojo on January 01, 2018, 11:30:24 PM
For a household of how many?
I laughed at first, obviously a bad situation for them and not laughing at them, but because reading your posts I had questioned here if places like boarding houses still existed (I had thought such things were last century.) And also your post about people misusing candles. Apparently boarding houses still exist!
http://kxan.com/2017/12/31/new-years-eve-fire-at-3-story-boarding-house-displaces-6-in-east-austin/

Jojo

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on January 01, 2018, 08:44:04 PM
I try to keep heavy items down low in case of earthquake (but of course, a few plates are up high, but I happen to like very light plates).

Next, I try to keep stuff used for cooking by the range and stuff used for the table nearer to the table.

It's nice if knives are near the cutting board.

And specialty equipment, like beaters an the beater, or lidd and pots, should be as close together as possible.

However, as long as everything has a place which you can remember, that helps a lot.  Then you can streamline from there for speed and efficiency.

So...
Knives go in their block or hang on their magnet line.
Tall utensils stand in a container by range.
Plates and bowls go on the lowest shelf in upper cupboard by dishwasher.
Cups, glasses, and mini-bowls go on the lowest shelf otherwise possible by dishwasher.
Pots and pans should hang, or go in a large lower cupboard.
Tall baking sheets and roast tray stand on end in a lower cupboard near the range.
Lids go on a pull-out rolling rack/drawer in a lower cupboard near range.
Tupperware goes lid-on and in a bin or cupboard.  Some empty ones can stay in fridge if you have to.
Flatware goes in flatware organizer in a drawer not to far from table.
Small appliances go in lower cupboards if not on the counter.
Wash cloths, hand towels, and pot holders go in a drawer of two.
Same with place mats.
Always have a junk drawer.
Wraps and baggies should be in a drawer or two.
Toothpicks, straws, and cake decorating should go in a small drawer.
Everyone should have a pantry where excess items can also be stored, like platters, bins, cookie tins.

in my home it's the same difference.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on January 01, 2018, 11:44:48 PM
I laughed at first, obviously a bad situation for them and not laughing at them, but because reading your posts I had questioned here if places like boarding houses still existed (I had thought such things were last century.) And also your post about people misusing candles. Apparently boarding houses still exist!
http://kxan.com/2017/12/31/new-years-eve-fire-at-3-story-boarding-house-displaces-6-in-east-austin/
What I meant was that normally, the money is considered a tip!  But I deal at a small level of pocket change and a few people.

If he is dealing with large bills and a very observant spouse, then he might have more of a problem!

Is it you or your wife who is absconding with the dough, PB?  Does she take your clothes from your room without asking and launder them even if you could have worn them once more?  I mean, that's not fair.  But if YOU toss them in the bin for wash, and you don't empty your own pockets, then the dough is fair game!  Unless you're totally stressed out from work or illness, in which case she should give it back, knowing you were vulnerable.  But if you're just careless, then you can spare a little if it makes her happy.  If I was a man, I would let the lady keep happenstance change of course, but I would also take slices of desserts immediately after she cooks them, while they are still warm, irregardless of whether she is supposed to take them somewhere like a party.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on January 01, 2018, 11:44:48 PM
Thank you.  There have been a lot of house fires in my area, even people dying.  In this day and age, I find it retarded.  I got another smoke alarm for the garage and plan to position it next time no one is home.  I minimize every risk I notice.  I wish I had a sprinkler system for my pet when I'm at work.  I will be talking to the neighborhood fire fighter leader on the phone next week.  I want him to know this address, and to see if he has any tips on how I can get through to these stupid, stupid people.  Maybe if I play my cards right, he will contact the real owner to do spot-checks and to forbid candles.

One of the ladies loves candles because they are something fun and easy that she can enjoy.  She had a stroke at a young age and can only use one arm.  She is brain damaged and loves candles and occasional baking.  I wish I could think of a safe, fragrance free hobby she could enjoy.  I noticed she has a battery operated candle.  Maybe if I get a couple, she will compete with me for the nicest one, and kind of get into that.  Let's pray for some ultra cool battery candles this year!

Jojo

People who live in shelters but complain about the free three square meals a day.

Shelters that patronize residents by serving volunteer-cooked meals to residents who neither need nor want it.  They already live rent free and get over $150 in food stamps.  Why anyone would cook for them is beyond me.  Just put a mini fridge and microwave in every room and let residents fight over a couple ranges in the kitchen.

400lb women who say they don't eat.

Quote from: Jojo on January 02, 2018, 12:05:14 AM
... Is it you or your wife who is absconding with the dough, PB?...

These are just general questions that struck me after reading your vaccuum and lawnmower whitepaper.

It seems fair that the money is mine if it was originally in my pockets, or if I find it in the washing machine.

albrecht

Quote from: Jojo on January 02, 2018, 12:55:38 AM
Thank you.  There have been a lot of house fires in my area, even people dying.  In this day and age, I find it retarded.  I got another smoke alarm for the garage and plan to position it next time no one is home.  I minimize every risk I notice.  I wish I had a sprinkler system for my pet when I'm at work.  I will be talking to the neighborhood fire fighter leader on the phone next week.  I want him to know this address, and to see if he has any tips on how I can get through to these stupid, stupid people.  Maybe if I play my cards right, he will contact the real owner to do spot-checks and to forbid candles.

One of the ladies loves candles because they are something fun and easy that she can enjoy.  She had a stroke at a young age and can only use one arm.  She is brain damaged and loves candles and occasional baking.  I wish I could think of a safe, fragrance free hobby she could enjoy.  I noticed she has a battery operated candle.  Maybe if I get a couple, she will compete with me for the nicest one, and kind of get into that.  Let's pray for some ultra cool battery candles this year!
There has been a lot of tech on fake candles but they still are lame in comparison. But could be a good solution for that situation. I think you should have, if you don't, have some fire pails with wet sand. Or more of them, most modern tech. Bring up with fire-leader discussion. BTW also use "boarding house reach." A term not used enough in these times of bad, or no, manners.

Quote from: Jojo on January 01, 2018, 07:14:14 PM
So cute!  Believe it or not, it has happened to me!  Can you post your video the Pizzagate thread with subject line "This is what children are for!". It would be fitting over there right now.

Hope you got a new nut!

I had one in the garage that worked for me so all is well.  Happy things don't seem to happen to those who post on the Pizzagate thread, so I'm staying out of there.

Quote from: Jojo on January 01, 2018, 07:31:01 PM
The disparity between the level of labor with a man's lawn mower versus a woman's vacuum.

Don't worry; this is not a battle of the sexes issue.  I just want to point something out, having used a variety of lawnmowers and vacuums myself.  Just for the sake of argument, consider the lawnmower for men, and the vacuum for women.  It's not that far-fetched.

1.  Women use the vacuum WAY more often than the man uses the lawnmower.  So, it should be reasonable.
2.  But they don't make self-propelling upright vacuums like they make self-propelling lawnmowers.
3.  Having used many of both, it is clear to me that the amount of force a woman has to use to wield most upright vacuums is way worse than the amount of force a man uses to push most lawnmowers.  And women vacuum a lot more than anyone mows (at least in states that have winter.)
4.  A lawnmower supports its own weight, but when I vacuum, I not only have to push the thing, I also have to support a lot of its weight.
5.  A lawnmower has a balanced handle so that whenever the weight of the machine is lifted, leverage is involved, but vacuums have a stick for a handle, so whenever the weight of the machine is lifted, the whole assembly is dragged with no leverage.
6. Considering how small many rooms are, vacuums are way too large proportionately, compared to most home lawnmowers.  Many upright vacuums are nearly the size of a mower, yet they are just for little rooms in many cases, and they have to fit between furniture like beds, and walls.

So, remember when you were a kid pushing around that little toy that looked like a popcorn popping style lawnmower?  Well, with handlebars long enough, it would be just the right size to be a real vacuum.  I would much rather use more steps and strokes, than put my hip and back out every time I vacuum.  Not real good for the bedroom life when that happens.  Yet it happens to women all over the country all the time.

Lightweight vacuums do help, like cordless upright vacs, but there aren't many, they don't last as long, and stick vacs drag impossibly on shag.  And even those need handlebars like a mower, instead of a stick for a handle.  And to have to bear the weight of the machine while clamping my arms down to prevent unwanted swivel, all the while pushing and sort of pulling is just not what a woman's body was meant for.  A man would want the weight of the machine on the ground, control of the handlebars, and no need for swivel!

Couple of things to consider on the lawn mower side.  At least here in Dixie along about August it can get a might warm and humid. There is also the off chance of tangling with Yellow Jackets or even a Copperhead - not likely but it can happen.  Guess Mrs. Walks has it pretty good as I do both of these chores.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 02, 2018, 05:26:08 PM
Couple of things to consider on the lawn mower side.  At least here in Dixie along about August it can get a might warm and humid. There is also the off chance of tangling with Yellow Jackets or even a Copperhead - not likely but it can happen.  Guess Mrs. Walks has it pretty good as I do both of these chores.

And don't forget the insect threat. Something about the sound and agitation of a mower or tractor can stir up yellow-jackets and infamously the Africanized Bees (which are more aggressive, attack en masse, attack longer, and are more unpredictable that European Bees.)

Swishypants

Quote from: albrecht on January 02, 2018, 05:56:18 PM
And don't forget the insect threat. Something about the sound and agitation of a mower or tractor can stir up yellow-jackets and infamously the Africanized Bees (which are more aggressive, attack en masse, attack longer, and are more unpredictable that European Bees.)

And then, you missed a dog turd! BAM! GAME OVER PAL!

Swishypants

Seriously, if I see ONE MORE MOTHERFUCKER, not edging their lawns, I'm getting the fucking FN-FAL out! You pick up the turds! You remove any obstacles. You weed-eat! You mow! You trim the bushes. You graze-line the trees. THEN YOU FUCKING EDGE! Let the air blow the clippings away; fuck it!

Swishypants

And when everything is STRAC and beautiful inside and out; all the bills are paid; grocery shopping done; truck washed, waxed, and gas tanks filled, you fire up the BBQ and get SHIT-FACED by the pool! It's called SATURDAY! (after 9 A.M. because that's the rule) Smoked BBQ Chicken Quarters. Rattle-snake Eggs. Potato Salad. Green Bean Salad. Home-made Rolls. Iced-Tea. Blonde Brownies for desert! Cards and Classic Rock for entertainment! Tiki's after dark!

Quote from: Swishypants on January 02, 2018, 06:00:41 PM
And then, you missed a dog turd! BAM! GAME OVER PAL!

That's the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 02, 2018, 05:20:39 PM
I had one in the garage that worked for me so all is well.  Happy things don't seem to happen to those who post on the Pizzagate thread, so I'm staying out of there.

Coward.  ::)

Swishypants

Somebody has to get pushed into the pool too! Otherwise it's FAIL!!!

Quote from: Swishypants on January 02, 2018, 06:13:58 PM
Somebody has to get pushed into the pool too! Otherwise it's FAIL!!!

Damn, now I'm even more ready for summer.  I can't hack these temps in the Teens anymore   :'(

Dr. MD MD

The worst thing that will happen to you there is that some troll will accuse you of being a pedo for wanting to discuss the very real problem of pedophilia and human trafficking. Hey, let's all just keep letting kids be kidnapped, sold and raped but never discuss it because some find it distasteful and the rest support it. Meanwhile, over in Turkey...

Swishypants

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 02, 2018, 06:15:34 PM

Damn, now I'm even more ready for summer.  I can't hack these temps in the Teens anymore   :'(

The cordite in my joints is grinding me to a pulp! Come on SUMMAH' TYME!

Taaroa

Trying to see a doctor at this time of year when they all seem to be on vacation.  >:(

Jojo

Quote from: Swishypants on January 02, 2018, 06:18:06 PM
The cordite in my joints is grinding me to a pulp! Come on SUMMAH' TYME!
Diluted chamomile oil.

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 02, 2018, 06:17:11 PM
The worst thing that will happen to you there is that some troll will accuse you of being a pedo for wanting to discuss the very real problem of pedophilia and human trafficking. Hey, let's all just keep letting kids be kidnapped, sold and raped but never discuss it because some find it distasteful and the rest support it. Meanwhile, over in Turkey...
I hear you.