3 (4.3%)
George Noory
10 (14.3%)
Other source
38 (54.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

fysisist

Quote from: Oversoul on June 18, 2012, 05:34:17 AM
Rodney King dead at 47, found in pool: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/national_world&id=8705200

Now, what was that life all about?   :-\

I'm sure there are untold numbers of Rodney Kings in every major city of the US, they just didn't get videotaped.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: fysisist on June 18, 2012, 02:15:10 PM
I'm sure there are untold numbers of Rodney Kings in every major city of the US, they just didn't get videotaped.
And 10x as many Reginald Dennys...who didn't get videotaped either.

Oversoul

Has the CERN LHC finally found the Higgs boson?  http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/06/latest-higgs-rumors/
QuoteOne of the biggest debuts in the science world could happen in a matter of weeks: The Higgs boson may finally, really have been discovered....

The Higgs boson is the final piece of the Standard Model â€" a framework developed in the late 20th century that describes the interactions of all known subatomic particles and forces. The Standard Model contains many other particles â€" such as quarks and W bosons â€" each of which has been found in the last four decades using enormous particle colliders, but the Higgs remains to be found. The Higgs boson is critical to the Standard Model, because interacting with the Higgs is what gives all the other particles their mass. Not finding it would severely undermine our current understanding of the universe.

While discovery of the Higgs would be a remarkable achievement, many researchers are also eager to hear the details from the experiments, which may indicate that the Higgs boson has slightly different properties than those theoretically predicted. Any deviations from theory could suggest the existence of heretofore-unknown physics beyond the Standard Model, including models such as supersymmetry, which posits a heavier partner to all known particles.
(Wired Science | June 20, 2012 |  6:30 am)

ziznak

Quote from: Harmness on June 08, 2012, 05:12:26 PM
My buddies and I did, too.  Once we learned how to read the word "flammable," there wasn't a can we didn't read and touch a match to.

We burned about 4000 acres and an old shithouse when we were about ten.

Such is the innocence of youth.
Burned down a lawn when I was 12... totally thought I might have killed some people I was so scared... We used petroleum jelly and gasoline to make napalm... worked quite well too

Zircon

Why did you do it Ziznak?

ziznak

was walking down the block on an arid hot half-day coming home from school... purposefully flicking matches onto the hay colored dead grass like a moron.  "wonder if it will catch?"  it did.  I ran home once I had realized this was not going out with a mere stomping... hid in my basement with horrid guilty thoughts while I heard the sirens n shit.... when I found out the houses where still there and nobody died I wore it like a badge of honor... little boys are so foolish

b_dubb

Oversoul

Quote from: Oversoul on June 20, 2012, 08:54:20 AM
Has the CERN LHC finally found the Higgs boson?  http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/06/latest-higgs-rumors/

The news is out: The Higgs Boson has been discovered by the CERN Large Hadron Collider. [http://contemplatingtruth.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/higgs_found/]

Quote"I'm rather surprised that it happened in my lifetime - I certainly had no idea it would happen in my lifetime at the beginning, more than 40 years ago, because at the beginning people had no idea about where to look for it, so it's really amazing for me to find out that it's really enough... for a discovery claim.

"I think it shows amazing dedication by the young people involved with these colossal collaborations to persist in this way, on what is a really a very difficult task. I congratulate them." 
(Peter Higgs, on the occasion of the Higgs Boson discovery public announcement.)

Peter Higgs having an emotional moment during the CERN press conference today.

Quote"For physicists, this is the equivalent of Columbus discovering America."
(Prof. Themis Bowcock, head of Particle Physics at the University of Liverpool, who worked on the LHC.)

ziznak

please excuse my non-boner here.... this really means nothing am I correct? all that this particle proves is that other  particles actually have provable mass right?

`

his IS the GOD particle am I right....the thing that gives --------------

Oversoul

Quote from: ziznak on July 04, 2012, 06:34:32 AM
please excuse my non-boner here.... this really means nothing am I correct? all that this particle proves is that other  particles actually have provable mass right?
his IS the GOD particle am I right....the thing that gives --------------

The discovery is highly significant because the subatomic Higgs Boson particle apparently gives anything and everything else mass.  [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/large-hadron-collider/9374758/Higgs-boson-scientists-99.999-sure-God-Particle-has-been-found.html]  It is the first building block for all matter, from atoms to galaxies. 

Its discovery will revolutionize our present understanding of the physical universe, particularly how physical matter arose from seemingly nothing (what C2C guest Lynne McTaggart refers to as the Zero Point Field of theoretical physics).  [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/large-hadron-collider/9375785/Arise-Sir-Peter-Give-Professor-Higgs-a-knighthood-say-colleagues.html]  It is expected to unlock the key to other dimensions and things like dark matter, among many others, and hopefully introduce multidimensionality to our nature.  The science of Star Trek might become very possible within the next generation, thanks to our understanding of the Higgs Boson.   ::)

Above all, it has the potential of validating the age-old teachings of classic and pure mysticism, which quantum mechanics and theoretical physics have been doing steadily during the past century.  :)

The moniker "God particle" is a misnomer.  However, the Higgs Boson can definitely illustrate and explain how the mind of God works to make manifest what is otherwise unmanifest.  ;)

ziznak

god=nonexistent then.... correct?

Oversoul

ziznak

onan

I am not a physicist. I am not a mathematician. But I know that this discovery isn't about metaphysics.

It isn't anymore special than other particles. It has just not been proven, until yesterday? It helps explain why objects have mass. There is no wiff and poof here.

It was called the goddamn why cant we find it particle for some time. Higgs is an atheist and... well you can see the dilemma. 

Oversoul

Quote from: Oversoul on July 04, 2012, 07:45:18 AM
It all depends on what you mean by "god."
Quote from: ziznak on July 04, 2012, 08:06:55 AM
notice the lower case

Upper cased and lower cased spellings are included in the array of the word's meanings.  :)

Grimace

Quote from: ziznak on June 20, 2012, 01:16:10 PM
was walking down the block on an arid hot half-day coming home from school... purposefully flicking matches onto the hay colored dead grass like a moron.  "wonder if it will catch?"  it did.  I ran home once I had realized this was not going out with a mere stomping... hid in my basement with horrid guilty thoughts while I heard the sirens n shit.... when I found out the houses where still there and nobody died I wore it like a badge of honor... little boys are so foolish

Heh, I have a similar story from when I was 13 or so... I was at my friend's house and he lived kind of on the edge of the neighborhood and across his street were some expansive woods that led to a small lake. In the woods was the foundation of a small house that had probably been abandoned decades before and the elements took most of it away, all that remained were some steps and an old stone fireplace we called the "forest oven." Bored out of our minds in the summer, we liked to take random things to it sometimes and light them ablaze... innocent fun we thought, and we'd try and make sure the fires were out by the time we left to go back home. This particular day was like no other, we got some wood and a bunch of our old school papers and drenched them in lighter fluid and had the typical laughs and what not, I probably snuck a bottle of rubbing alcohol or hairspray out of their bathroom to get more stupid thrills. Anyway, we waited for it to go out and then walked back to his place. Little did we know that with the mix of very little rain and low humidity, the little burning embers we left behind would stir up quite the fire.

Fast forward a couple hours later and the air outside the house is thick with smoke and we hear fire engines, and get extra nervous when we also see a police car. I remember sitting in his room looking out the window, us both muttering, "Fuck..." under our breaths. We both swore not to say a damn word to anyone and not to tell anyone, that this accident was to big and over our heads. We were scared to even go back to into the woods, that we'd be seen and then who knows what would happen.

Its interesting to note that a few years later when we then got involved with the typical 16-17 year old vices of underage drinking and pot smoking (usually the latter), we never even thought to do anything so blind and reckless... and both of us spent a good deal of our time working at a shitty burger joint to make sure we always had money to alter ourselves. Oh, how I sometimes miss the blur that was adolescence.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Grimace on July 04, 2012, 08:17:11 PM
Fast forward a couple hours later and the air outside the house is thick with smoke and we hear fire engines, and get extra nervous when we also see a police car. I remember sitting in his room looking out the window, us both muttering, "Fuck..." under our breaths. We both swore not to say a damn word to anyone and not to tell anyone, that this accident was to big and over our heads. We were scared to even go back to into the woods, that we'd be seen and then who knows what would happen.

your IP address has been logged.  good day, sir.

Grimace

Quote from: MV on July 05, 2012, 10:31:24 AM

your IP address has been logged.  good day, sir.

Yes, the culprits for a small accidental fire at the crumbled over abandoned house in woods two decades ago which are most certainly now developed into some condo complex or McMansion are still very much at large.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Grimace on July 05, 2012, 08:10:03 PM
Yes, the culprits for a small accidental fire at the crumbled over abandoned house in woods two decades ago which are most certainly now developed into some condo complex or McMansion are still very much at large.

and you will pay for your crime, sir.  you will pay.

Sardondi

Quote from: MV on July 06, 2012, 11:58:33 AM

The scary thing is, in today's world, if a central authority wants you badly enough, you almost certainly have no chance of remaining undetected. The whole issue is how far authority wants to go to run you down and how much trouble it will go to to do so. Because that part of our lives that is "trackless" is almost entirely gone. A record exists of everything you do online, and can ultimately be retrieved. (Perhaps encrypted browsers like Tor can change that somewhat.) Cameras are everywhere, and whether you realize it or not our daily comings and goings are routinely recorded.

We can't travel by air unless we submit to gropings and insertions that without question would constitute crimes were they performed by anyone but "public servants". Last week our Supreme Court, in a much less-remarked case than Obamacare, approved what essentially amounts to police (which now routinely includes the National Guard, and even the regular military, despite longstanding posse comitatus bans) routinely conducting random stop-and-brace "Your papers, please"-style interrogations.

Surveillance drone use by even small-town police departments is on the verge of exploding into near-constant overhead surveillance: it's already being used in rural areas in prairie states with large expanses of fields - because somebody just might be doing something out there, not for any particular investigation. Just because they can. Even night and the wilderness, what there is left of them, are no cloak today, as variants of heat-sensitive and night-vision viewing devices become ubiquitous. It's only a question of resource allocation, not technological capacity.

On top of that, in the US we've seen the unprecedented intrusion of government into every aspect of American daily life, with government approval necessary for virtually every non-routine action we contemplate. Without realizing it, like the frog in the frying pan, the dystopian, authoritarian future of Brave New World, 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 seems almost here.

Well. Don't know how I went from commenting on leaving indelible track on the internet to this. But there it is.

Grimace

If big brother wants us bad enough, there certainly is nowhere to hide. One thing which I've seen in my area much more often now are cops with the license plate readers on top of their cars which scan every plate of parked cars, cars in motion, etc. No more accidentally driving without insurance, suspended license, delinquent tickets etc. Also red light cameras have popped up at an alarming rate, although in my part of the country the driving is exceptionally bad and people used to just plow through red lights when they felt like it - perhaps this truly was a safety issue. They got me once when I clipped the red on a left-turn, quite annoying. At least there are no speed cameras yet.

Okay, so you could choose not to drive - but you'd better not walk between cars on the subway because even though that was treated like jaywalking for as long as I can remember, now they're handing out citations. Also on the LIRR you can drink on the train, so one late afternoon I had gotten a six pack from the corner store and cracked one open on the platform a minute or two before the train was going to arrive and before I know it, a plain clothes officer is writing me a ticket. He was nice enough and explained that on the train means on the train, although 75% of the time you'll see bros with 30 racks of Keystone Ice and shit chugging and littering at the station, oh well. What's funny is the cop remembers me and always like to say hey on a first-name basis when he's on duty. But the point being, they've been "cracking down" on harmless things that they'd totally let slide 10-15 years ago. The nanny state isn't coming, it is here.

Quote from: MV on July 06, 2012, 11:58:33 AM

Should I get ready to pack my bags for a short stay in the local juvy hall? Maybe they'll send me on a troubled youth retreat & hike up on the Appalachian trail.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Grimace on July 08, 2012, 12:18:23 AM

Should I get ready to pack my bags for a short stay in the local juvy hall? Maybe they'll send me on a troubled youth retreat & hike up on the Appalachian trail.

no, but your bicycle privileges most certainly will be revoked.

Zircon

Then it can be said that "God" or "god" (your preference) is "Physics"? How else is one to touch the face of God unless it is to see that face. The properties of this universe is as good a definition as any since the metaphysical realm is a totally unprovable domain. Its best recognizable manifestation is in the number of books promoted, website uttered and phone numbers given out on late night radio.

Quote from: Zircon on July 10, 2012, 03:40:57 PM
http://frontpagemag.com/2012/raymond-ibrahim/muslim-brotherhood-destroy-the-pyramids/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/10/us-mali-crisis-timbuktu-idUSBRE8690O420120710

WTF !!!

This is a reminder of who we are dealing with in that part of the world.

No real surprise either, remember the Taliban dynamiting to rubble immense statues of the Buddha at Bamiyam in Afganistan.  These were carved out of the cliffside in AD 507 and 554.  This happened in March 2001, just months before 9/11

They have been 'rebuilt' and other discoveries have been made in the area such as cave paintings.  Probably the first to go when the Talibs return to power.

Makes for a pretty good argument about not returning museum artefacts to countries that are either unstable or Moslem.

coaster

Remember when Cortez destroyed Aztec temples and replaced them with Virgin Mary statues? Probably not. I wont say much about religion, because its a pointless argument. but I really wish people would open their eyes. If the pyramids were to be destroyed, it would be a tremendous loss to the entire world. Its horrible to even think about.

Quote from: coaster on July 10, 2012, 04:34:32 PM
Remember when Cortez destroyed Aztec temples...

I'm not sure what you are saying in your post.  Is it that because of Cortez, no one today should critize the ongoing destruction of World Heritage Sites?  Or say who is doing it?  Sorry, I'm not really a fan of the Dhimmitude that's going on in the Western World.  I'd suggest Cortez, Pizarro, et.al. were 400 years ago, and Spanish Catholics sailing the world in galleons aren't a current threat.

Here are a few more representatives of the Religion of Peace, this time destroying some ancient tombs at a 14th century mosque in Timbuktu, another World Heritage Site:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/10/us-mali-crisis-timbuktu-idUSBRE8690O420120710

coaster

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 10, 2012, 09:07:58 PM

Is it that because of Cortez, no one today should critize the ongoing destruction of World Heritage Sites?  Or say who is doing it?  Sorry, I'm not really a fan of the Dhimmitude that's going on in the Western World.

I don't see how you got that from my post. I think religion in general is a joke, and I'm not trying to defend a certain religion. I was merely pointing out that this isnt the first time something like this has happened. I thought it was pretty obvious what I was trying to say.