• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 20, 2016, 07:43:48 AM
Yes, but there is little difference between the RW speeds of the PATA SSD and HDD, so why bother, considering the much smaller storage capacity.

With SSDs, it's about seek time not rw speed.

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on August 20, 2016, 11:04:25 AM
Gotta disagree with you again. I noticed a considerable difference between HDD PATA and SSD PATA on the order of 3x. Don't always trust the published specs. That's the main reason I held off getting an SSD in the first place. What a mistake.

I'll defer to you on this point as I have no direct experience with it.  Other than the gearhead appeal, I'm not seeing the appeal of resurrecting "old" laptops (I twitch a little when I use that word to describe something 7 years of age) when I can buy a brand new, sexy, two pound widescreen laptop that gives me a handee on alternate Saturdays for 120 scooters.

Quote from: mv on August 20, 2016, 12:53:11 PM

Yeah, you make a good point.  I'm talking about a comprehensive comparison of rw speeds, though, and not simply the large-file xfer rates that the marketing group screams on the package wrapper.

Lilith

My theory is this, if you have an old computer that you love, that means something to you, or has fond memories attached, then by all means, learn and do, whatever you can to save it. Display it on your shelf, or put it away safely for backup.

If you never liked it much anyway, fix it if you can, and sell it.

Other than that, by whatever means you must utilize,  there is nothing like turning on a shiny new toy. ;D

Quote from: mv on August 20, 2016, 12:53:11 PM

Hey mv, this has nothing to do with Windows 10. What was it you said that I needed to do to stop the crashing? Wipe the system? My laptop is basically a glorified typewriter that I use to write case notes on. It only crashes when I am online. I usually use Firefuck which crashes all the time, but Chrome is not much better and I like that I have more privacy on Firefox. Or at least I think I do.

cweb

Quote from: brig on August 20, 2016, 05:33:48 PM
My theory is this, if you have an old computer that you love, that means something to you, or has fond memories attached, then by all means, learn and do, whatever you can to save it. Display it on your shelf, or put it away safely for backup.
My thoughts exactly!

Plus, when given the choice between spending $65 on something that fits your needs and has been a faithful companion or dropping $1k on a new rig- I'll choose the former. Within reason, of course.

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 20, 2016, 05:08:47 PM
I'll defer to you on this point as I have no direct experience with it.  Other than the gearhead appeal, I'm not seeing the appeal of resurrecting "old" laptops (I twitch a little when I use that word to describe something 7 years of age) when I can buy a brand new, sexy, two pound widescreen laptop that gives me a handee on alternate Saturdays for 120 scooters.
Old laptops make excellent special purpose machines, especially if you know how to trim down the OS. I wouldn't recommend it with a 10 year old cheapey. If it was garbage new, it'll still be garbage in 10 years. My make and model was a $2,300.00 laptop  - new. $60.00 for an ssd so she can keep taking abuse for another few years ? No problem. She's not my main machine anyway so if she pukes, no biggie. Besides, on the new ones I have to tear them apart anyway to disable the Bluetooth, Mic, and camera.

Edit: Bluetooth is a bit tricky. You have to juice it w/ 3.3 volts in order to disable it.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on August 20, 2016, 06:37:07 PM
What was it you said that I needed to do to stop the crashing? Wipe the system? My laptop is basically a glorified typewriter that I use to write case notes on. It only crashes when I am online.

Depends on what is causing it to crash. Could be lots of things. I'd test the hard drive. Just Google around for some utilities that do it. There are a lot.

But even if the drive tests out OK, I'd still replace it with an SSD and reinstall a clean OS on that.

And blast the dust out.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: mv on August 07, 2016, 09:48:17 PM
recently, i've been noticing that when applications attempt to open a browser, the "choose a browser" dialog pops up and offers no options.  windows is both failing to launch the default browser (chrome) and failing to include any browser choices in the "choose" dialog box.  since there's nothing available to select, there's no way to close that dialog and it stays on top of all windows.  if you try to force close that dialog box's process in the task manager, task manager appears to lock up and you have no choice but to eventually reboot if you want to get rid of the goddamn dialog box or the task manager window. 

i don't know if this is a bug in win10 or if an update has broken some of my past tinkering.  i'll probably just go ahead and reinstall windows in the next week or two.  i like to do that every year or so anyway, and win10 has gone through a lot of updates since it was installed on this machine.  wouldn't hurt to start with updates already slipped in.  wait a year... repeat.

i forgot to say, i figured this problem out.

on my win10 machine, i run as a standard user.  i have a password protected admin account which exists only to prevent unauthorized software installs or system setting changes.  i hadn't logged into the admin account follwing the anniversary update.  simply logging into it fixed the issue which, clearly, was caused by the anniversary update.

Quote from: mv on August 20, 2016, 07:52:54 PM

But even if the drive tests out OK, I'd still replace it with an SSD and reinstall a clean OS on that.

And blast the dust out.
Ok, thanks. I can get that done at Staples, right? I have a can of the dust blaster. I can do that part  myself.

Quote from: Jackstar on August 22, 2016, 07:58:00 AM
Yes, yes... you can dust.

Well, I am a woman so cleaning is what I do best.  ;)

Jackstar

"I need something sewn. Let's go to Staples," he said, with no irony whatsoever.

Quote from: Jackstar on August 22, 2016, 08:19:04 AM
"I need something sewn. Let's go to Staples," he said, with no irony whatsoever.
You're shit out of luck there.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on August 22, 2016, 07:54:16 AM
Ok, thanks. I can get that done at Staples, right?

i don't think i'd take it to staples to have it done.  i'd go buy a solid state drive from wherever, and then take the computer to a locally run computer shop and tell them you want a clean installation of windows on the drive with updated drivers etc.

Quote from: mv on August 22, 2016, 11:11:20 AM
i don't think i'd take it to staples to have it done.  i'd go buy a solid state drive from wherever, and then take the computer to a locally run computer shop and tell them you want a clean installation of windows on the drive with updated drivers etc.

OK, I'll get the drive from Amazon or Ebay and look up someone in my area to do the clean installation. Thank you for the information!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on August 22, 2016, 11:13:28 AM
OK, I'll get the drive from Amazon or Ebay and look up someone in my area to do the clean installation. Thank you for the information!

as long as 120GB will do you, this should work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=234-003A-00002&ignorebbr=1

Element 115

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 31, 2016, 12:41:10 PM
Come on, dude, no only isn't that close to being accurate, it's not even a logical argument.  That's like arguing that since the chances of dying in an auto accident are much higher than dying of AIDS, there's no point in wearing a condom.  And it's wrong, besides.  Win10 can log individual keystrokes and mouse clicks.  How can your ISP collect "100 times" that level of detail?

I think that there are some people who have a very constricted view of what constitutes personal information.  For them, so long as social security and credit card numbers are protected, everything else is up for grabs.

At the other end of the scale are those with a more expansive view.  Any information which can be used to characterize them is considered personal information.  For example, the company Next sells a smart thermostat (among other smart appliances).  It identifies and learns your habits related to the use of your home, for the sake of maximizing temperature comfort and efficiency -- it will turn on prior to your arrival at home, not adjust the temperature in rooms you are not located in, and so forth.

All this is fine, but this behavioural information is beamed back to Next in its entirety.  Information that identifies when you get up on what days, when you sleep, when you stay out late, how much time you spend in your kitchen or living room or other rooms, when you sleep in, how often you go away on trips, how many guests you have and how often, and more.  Now, what in the fuck does Next need that information for?  In reply, Next uses the marketing u-joint used by all personal data harvesters in such situations: "To improve your user experience." 

Those in the first category above don't consider this personal information and Next collecting it is a "meh" to them.  Those in the second group disagree.  Like me, they can't readily identify a nefarious purpose for which this information might be used, but simply feel that it's not any of Google's motherfucking business.  Did I say Google?  Yes, Google recognized the treasure trove of behavioural information that is harvested in these appliances, so they snapped up Next into the Google borg.  They can't use this information for targeted ads, so why do they want it?  It's none of their motherfucking business.

I suspect that you are in the first category above while I know that I am in the second, and it is not a disagreement about technical matters that divides us but rather a difference of opinion about what is considered "personal information."  You are certainly sophisticated enough to be aware that simply flipping the switches on three screens is not going to shut off the data farming performed by Windows 10.  In fact, some of that farming can't be shut off at all.  You might feel that the information collected beyond what is on those three screens is "unimportant," but that is your opinion, not a fact.  It's misleading of you to imply that flipping the switches on three screens protects you from personal information stealing by Windows 10.  It doesn't, you know that, and I wish you wouldn't speak about it like you are talking facts rather than your opinion. 

Oh, and by the way, when you use Windows 10 you explicitly authorize MS to alter your privacy settings without further authorization, knowledge, or notice to you.  MS has conspired with Intel to alter future microprocessor designs such that versions of Windows older than Win10 will not run on them.  In five to ten years, when the population of machines can only run the Windows 10 version, they'll shut off those privacy protections for you.  And then they will eliminate them entirely.  Paranoia?  Well, consider that this is exactly the same model used by Facebook and others.  They ram a 2" diameter data stealing dildo up your ass.  People bitch, but eventually give in.  Microsoft is now just as unethical and rapacious as Facebook, Google, or anyone else.

Your IPS can see everything you do online with deep packet inspection.

Deep packet inspection allows your ISP to scan the packets of data you send across the web, and is generally used for your protection, when checking for viruses or prioritizing data. On other occasions, ISPs can monitor your web activity to track, log and store your internet activity data.

Many ISPs are involved in collecting and selling their users’ data to third parties for advertising purposes, or using the data for their own promotional use.

In 2014, Verizon was caught using what’s known as "perma-cookies" for all their customers. "Perma-cookies" allowed Verizon to accurately track their customers’ online activities through unique identifying codes without their knowledge, and it couldn’t be turned off. And even if they deleted their browsing history or surfed in private mode, they were still being tracked.

So I always use an encrypted VPN (name of VPN withheld).

Element 115

Quote from: mv on August 22, 2016, 03:00:34 PM

Newegg rocks.  That's where I get most all my parts for builds.

Quote from: mv on August 22, 2016, 03:00:34 PM

Thank yew!! That's perfect and a lot cheaper that I thought it would be.

Lilith

Just in case anyone is looking for some good Anniversary Update optimization ideas and tips, I like this guy's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U_R_tKwtas

Quote from: Element 115 on August 22, 2016, 04:24:31 PM
Your IPS can see everything you do online with deep packet inspection.

Deep packet inspection allows your ISP to scan the packets of data you send across the web, and is generally used for your protection, when checking for viruses or prioritizing data. On other occasions, ISPs can monitor your web activity to track, log and store your internet activity data.

Many ISPs are involved in collecting and selling their users’ data to third parties for advertising purposes, or using the data for their own promotional use.

In 2014, Verizon was caught using what’s known as "perma-cookies" for all their customers. "Perma-cookies" allowed Verizon to accurately track their customers’ online activities through unique identifying codes without their knowledge, and it couldn’t be turned off. And even if they deleted their browsing history or surfed in private mode, they were still being tracked.

So I always use an encrypted VPN (name of VPN withheld).

I don't really understand why you posted this.  I acknowledged that ISPs can monitor web traffic at a fine grain level, but argued that being able to monitor ALL activity of ANY type on your computer through the OS is a higher level of the problem.  Further, that it doesn't follow that since we can't eliminate all bad behaviour in society, we should step aside and accept ALL bad behaviour without objection.

You replied by reiterating that ISPs can really see deeply into your online activity.  Is that what you consider to be a rebuttal to my arguments?

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on August 22, 2016, 04:46:51 PM
Thank yew!! That's perfect and a lot cheaper that I thought it would be.

Prices on storage have been a rock rolling downhill since the dawn of the personal computer, so it's worth strobing them from time to time to see if what you didn't buy because it was too expensive is now affordable.

Everyone has a favorite one of these; this is mine:

That's $3000 (note that you must also purchase an install kit) in 1984 dollars. 

A 240gb SSD here in the Philippines can be had for 2900 pesos, or about $63 inclusive of all taxes.

I can make you a good deal on a 15 megabyte hard drive if you want one, Ibby.

Quote from: Element 115 on August 22, 2016, 04:26:52 PM
Newegg rocks.  That's where I get most all my parts for builds.
Stay away from Tiger Direct. I've had nothing but problems with those ^#(*#%)&.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 22, 2016, 10:15:36 PM
...being able to monitor ALL activity of ANY type on your computer through the OS is a higher level of the problem.

why is that a "higher level of the problem"?  how do you think the alleged personal data is transmitted to microsoft?

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 22, 2016, 10:28:35 PM

I can make you a good deal on a 15 megabyte hard drive if you want one, Ibby.

Sure! Where do I send you my real name, address and credit card number? You wouldn't happen to be a Nigerian prince, would you?

Juan

What in the hell is this OneDrive Microsoft keeps wanting me to update? I'm sure it's something I won't fool with

Lilith

Quote from: Juan on August 23, 2016, 10:58:03 AM
What in the hell is this OneDrive Microsoft keeps wanting me to update? I'm sure it's something I won't fool with

Its cloud storage. You can disable it if you want to. You might want to keep it for syncing purposes tho.

http://www.howtogeek.com/225973/how-to-disable-onedrive-and-remove-it-from-file-explorer-on-windows-10/

You can always go to onedrive in your browser and login without having the app.  https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/

Lilith

Just a thought I had that I wanted to share with everyone interested in the progression of Windows 10.  People wonder why is this or that no longer working since I updated.  Sometimes, if you go up and check your driver updates, you might find that a certain broken thing has a driver update available.  Sometimes, they have not yet developed it, but are working on it, and you just have to check again later.  While Windows plows ahead, all its parts (like maybe Skypey for example) are struggling to keep up.

I look at it this way (perhaps incorrectly).  If Windows waited for everyone (like Skypey) to get everything right before they moved forward, well, there very well might never be any moving forward. Releasing the "New Edition" forces (Skypey for example) to "get to work".

I'm not justifying anything, just 'splaining a point of view.

(Some names have been mispelled to protect the innocent).