• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Why So Technical

Started by heater, October 08, 2015, 05:25:30 PM

Lilith

I love the "On Air" sign!  I double dare you to put up a "Praise MV!" sign.

Lilith

On Skype, you have to add the question mark to locate them as a contact.  why so technical?     That was how I was able to find them on Skype.

heater

Quote from: ziznak on October 18, 2015, 06:37:34 AM
sooooo.... I'm out of podcasts... wtf muddy my boy where you at?

This Thursday night at 9pm EST we will be back at it.  Would you guys want an audio version on an rss feed to download or is the youtube channel acceptable to everyone as the main location to replay past episodes?  When we are live you will have the choice of either watching live or just listening in depending on your bandwidth or interest level.

You will be able to go to http://whysotechnical.com for the live feeds / chat

brig, I listened to your recent Gabbing Now episode! thanks for mentioning us.  We will always be a free video / podcast!  for now the best way to support us is to subscribe to our channel and be an ad clicking bellgabber so MV can send his kids to college someday.

berry

I personally also like the RSS feeds, but I have no idea what effort goes into producing one of them. As long as you are on YouTube, we will be able to download it later. Thanks again for the entertainment.

Lilith

Quote from: themudking on October 19, 2015, 07:47:42 PM
This Thursday night at 9pm EST we will be back at it.  Would you guys want an audio version on an rss feed to download or is the youtube channel acceptable to everyone as the main location to replay past episodes?  When we are live you will have the choice of either watching live or just listening in depending on your bandwidth or interest level.

You will be able to go to http://whysotechnical.com for the live feeds / chat

brig, I listened to your recent Gabbing Now episode! thanks for mentioning us.  We will always be a free video / podcast!  for now the best way to support us is to subscribe to our channel and be an ad clicking bellgabber so MV can send his kids to college someday.

youtube channel is above and beyond acceptable for me themudking :D  People can always run audacity to make an audio only copy.  I wil read your above quote on my next episode of GabbingNow, along with the link for the live show and chat :D  If you want to have an audio copy only for bandwidth reasons, you know Soundcloud is free.  That's where I put my audio backups, just in case somebody wants to listen but doesn't have the bandwidth to watch the video.  .......not that anybody has asked me, but if somebody DID, then I could post them my soundcloud link so they could listen.

I subscribed to your youtube right away Curtis!  I LOVE the show already!!!

I am going to be SO happy to report that you never plan to be one of those, "please go to this sight to subscribe to the archives if you want to hear past shows" site.  I didn't think you were, knowing you are loyal bellgabber and supporter of the King of bellgab.  Praise MV!

heater

We will be live with another episode of Why So Technical at 9PM Eastern time.  If you would like to join us at http://whysotechnical.com/ you can watch the live stream at 9pm or listen through our audio player and chat.

Find us on Skype by searching for 'Why So Technical?' or call us at 317-708-4500.

heater

thanks everyone for joining us.  sorry we had so many technical difficulties but that's why we do it so we can learn!

should have a more streamlined process next time on 11/5/2015 @ 9PM EST

I'll put this episode on soundcloud asap!

Lilith

Quote from: themudking on October 22, 2015, 09:24:35 PM
thanks everyone for joining us.  sorry we had so many technical difficulties but that's why we do it so we can learn!

I ENJOYED it !! :D  Thank You so much!  :-*

BobGrau

Dammit, forgot about this. I had a question/topic for the show:

I've got an old windows vista laptop from 2007 just sitting gathering dust, is there anything interesting and unusual I could do with it? Either something useful or just sheer entertainment, blowing it up would still be more interesting than just chucking it out.

BobGrau

Quote from: BobGrau on October 23, 2015, 06:42:46 AM

I've got an old windows vista laptop from 2007 just sitting gathering dust, is there anything interesting and unusual I could do with it? Either something useful or just sheer entertainment, blowing it up would still be more interesting than just chucking it out.

Now it's finally booted up, I can add that it's a "genuine intel cpu T2080 @ 1.73GHz 1.73GHz" with 1GB of RAM

PS I am indeed vaguely aware of how lame this question is from a techie's point of view. But I'm confident you guys can turn my lead into podcast gold.

wr250

Quote from: BobGrau on October 23, 2015, 06:42:46 AM

well you could install linux on it.  use lxde or xfce as the desktop manager.
if it has a sata 2.0 (3gb/sec) bus you could drop an ssd into it for more speed.

wr250

Quote from: themudking on October 22, 2015, 09:24:35 PM

and sometimes we just feel like a n00b.

BobGrau

Quote from: wr250 on October 23, 2015, 07:04:40 AM
if it has a sata 2.0 (3gb/sec) bus you could drop an ssd into it for more speed.

Well... That'sh trew too.

Juan

How about a show on how to get expensive Windows programs to run on Linux with WINE or whatever.

heater

Quote from: Juan on October 23, 2015, 04:27:01 PM
How about a show on how to get expensive Windows programs to run on Linux with WINE or whatever.

ONeill

This might have been answered, I haven't gone through the thread - is there an RSS feed to plug into a podcatcher? As I can't listen live, that's the only way for me to remember about it until I start to really like it:)

Will you cover ARM processors as the channel wallpaper suggests? That would be just splendid.

Posted by: BobGrau
« on: October 23, 2015, 07:42:46 AM »

Insert Quote

Re: Why So Technical
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2015, 07:42:46 AM »

Quote from: wr250 on October 23, 2015, 07:04:40 AM
You beat me to it wr250 :)

Hey there Bob  :)
The comment by wr250 is spot on.
1GB RAM...  No problem for Xubuntu. Hell, check out the system requirements at http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/requirements/
So... just how many minutes... eh hem errrr, hours... does it take for vista to boot on that machine ?  ;)
Seriously though, re-purpose it with Xubuntu. It'll be just like getting a new computer. I think you'll be surprised at how fast it'll run.

Quote from: Juan on October 23, 2015, 04:27:01 PM
PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux, PlayOnLinux.

I keep telling you guys that....        ;)    ;D
That's actually a great idea IMHO. 

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/

if anyone is interested in the Xubuntu download, but are concerned about size and bandwidth caps, use the minimal cd download here:  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD This is just an installation .iso, not a live disc. (A live disc is the full operating system that can be ran or installed straight from the burnt DVD)
Did I mention it's free ?

heater

We are considering doing our first annual Reddit Horror Stories (tech or otherwise) show this Halloween night.  It will give us a chance to verify our streaming video is fixed as well as chat room.  Would any other bellgabbers want to join us?  We would start at 10pm EST on Saturday and go until too drunk to talk.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: themudking on October 28, 2015, 08:27:18 AM
We are considering doing our first annual Reddit Horror Stories (tech or otherwise) show this Halloween night.  It will give us a chance to verify our streaming video is fixed as well as chat room.  Would any other bellgabbers want to join us?  We would start at 10pm EST on Saturday and go until too drunk to talk.
I would. I am going to be staying in, if you want me you got me Muddy  :D

heater

Yes!  you should totally join.  We need a Vampiress to give us street cred.

Your homework would be to look through Reddit for some of the scariest stories you would like to share and discuss.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: themudking on October 28, 2015, 10:13:55 AM
Yes!  you should totally join.  We need a Vampiress to give us street cred.

Your homework would be to look through Reddit for some of the scariest stories you would like to share and discuss.
Will do! Oh and I might try the fangs for Saturday. I usually can talk with them fairly well. Also are we streaming live video? If so I have a few ideas on my end. Thanks for the opportunity. Should be a blast!

heater

Yeah we will do video for it.  You can either email any ideas or share them here if you want. I am all for having it be a fully collaborative event.

ponyboysunset

Just means I have to do my hair and not be naked. LOL. I'm just going to make sure I am sitting in slight darkness with the back drop I want. Not in a hoodie with no make up, and no bra. LMAO!

heater

I might not wear my bra...its a personal choice.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: themudking on October 28, 2015, 12:31:09 PM
I might not wear my bra...its a personal choice.

Awesome! hahahahaaha