• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Quote from: pate on October 26, 2014, 11:23:36 PM
Great player, and in spite of his real life douchieness, I still wouldn't punch him in the face if I ran into him.

The whole game is interesting to watch as well, if you are into such things... (apologies if this gets lawyers involved):

After review, the game was continued and the Royals went on to win it (as I recall...)  I loved listening to the (who I assume) New York commentators hate on the Royals...  Reminded me of watching this year's playoffs on TBS for some reason...

There is a story about George Brett shitting his pants somewhere. I will post a link if I find it.

pate

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 27, 2014, 03:25:44 AM
There is a story about George Brett shitting his pants somewhere. I will post a link if I find it.

Good lord!  Video I hope, but not too recent, he is getting to be that Larry King type age...  It'd be much more satisfying to see that the guy (who is a douche in person) is such a professional...

God forgive me for pointing out the flaws in George Brett that I see in myself...  I am not good for release into polite society either, you know, I think the ONE time I actually interacted with George Brett, I didn't ask him for an autograph or any sort of auto-anything...  I looked him in the eye and saw that sort of Dustin Hoffman (who is short and not imposing) look that said clearly "If this is another jackwagon fanboi, I think I will have a heart attack and let my estate sort out who is at fault...  This chump can't have LAWYERS>....?" (clear as the eye statement was it in no way affects or represents the actual opinions of Mssrs, Brett and/or Hoffman --counsel)  I think I was communicating to the both of them "Damn, I hope they don't punch me in the jaw, that'd be awkward..."

Not to compare, but I once had a Rat Terrier, a vicious dog, a loyal dog, a great dog, but not one you let out in public.  Anyhow, one day coming home (drunk I admit) the little bastige got out into the street, he hung around the area didn't venture far (loyalty) but wouldn't come into the house (behind the fence where it was safe for him) anyhow, I sat out on the front porch calling/cajoling the little guy until I heard him get hit by a car, which subsequently killed him...  My fault?  Certainly!  I should never have owned such a small yap-yap dog and should have known that no amount of yelling or gentle correction (only the sNooron would beat a baby and wonder if it MIGHT be mean...) would prepare such an animal for the big cruel world... 

Argh!  WTF does this have to do with baseball?  something about a timestamp, perhaps an 'edit?"

Done, checking timestamp... 1:50:00 or so, the fun happens right at the end anyhow...

pate

One of the commentators says around 2:16:xx "...I've seen this before..."  gotta love the final result of that game in Official Baseball...

Also gotta love those NY commentators...

Hehe

edit:  was that the lawyer from "My Cousin Vinnie" somewhere around what appears to be the dugout of the opposing team at around 2:19:xx  screen left?

second edit: ermygerhd!

third edit: it does seem to be that guy, but no moustache.... look around 2:19:30 +/- 0:01:00 mark....

phrodo

Quote from: Gd5150 on October 26, 2014, 10:39:18 PM
Wow during World Series game 5 news came that Oscar Tevarez, whos a huge rookie for the St. Louis Cardinals was killed in a car accident. Juan Perez was close to his family and a close friend heard about it minutes before he was scheduled to be put into the game. Gets put in, immediately makes a huge catch in left field. Then missed a HR by inches and has the biggest hit of the game and one of the biggest of the World Series. Incredible.

I am still sickened and saddened by the news yesterday about Oscar Taveras. He was so young and had a bright career ahead of him. His girlfriend/fiancee was also killed in the accident. Such a tragic, sickening thing to happen to such beautiful young souls. Very sad here still....

pate

There was a tribute.

Ordionao (sp) a fellow from gthe Dominican Repub.  I stand next to the man.

I often (these days since the aborted mission on Hispanilola *sp*)

Tomorrow, we face every pitcher in he bullpen,  whou'da'thunk?

Wow, now we watch...

edit: OT indeed, who has any sort of reason to honor his memory?  I answer Ventura, and he needs rest.  All bullpens are in play here.  Both bullpens...

phrodo

Quote from: pate on October 29, 2014, 01:38:27 AM
There was a tribute.

Ordionao (sp) a fellow from gthe Dominican Repub.  I stand next to the man.

I often (these days since the aborted mission on Hispanilola *sp*)

Tomorrow, we face every pitcher in he bullpen,  whou'da'thunk?

Wow, now we watch...

edit: OT indeed, who has any sort of reason to honor his memory?  I answer Ventura, and he needs rest.  All bullpens are in play here.  Both bullpens...

Who has any sort of reason to honor his memory??? What kind of stupid sick FUCK are you???!!!! You are one truly warped and perverted pisspoor excuse for a human .. wait -- you simply cannot be human you piece of rotten decayed SHIT!!!!! FUCK YOU -- you useless excuse of a fuckwad.

pate

Whose memory was being honored?  Not sure, OverTime could answer... 

phrodo

Quote from: pate on October 29, 2014, 02:01:06 AM
Whose memory was being honored?  Not sure, OverTime could answer...

Keep playing dumb ... it fits you useless sack of shit.

pate

So some kid that Ventura holds as close, and you  thank me by not being familiar with the Dominican Republic by whay?  (sp: what?) 

Fine, who cares?  I am more interested in why you are angre

phrodo

Quote from: pate on October 29, 2014, 02:07:25 AM
So some kid that Ventura holds as close, and you  thank me by not being familiar with the Dominican Republic by whay?  (sp: what?) 

Fine, who cares?  I am more interested in why you are angre

You obviously know nothing about baseball. Or humans - or caring for other humans. Fuck off asshole.

pate

Quote from: phrodo on October 29, 2014, 02:10:39 AM
You obviously know nothing about baseball. Or humans - or caring for other humans. Fuck off asshole.

If I am reading that right you say "Go Giants?"

Who cares about the guy in the bull pen that lost a fellow countryman?

You root for who you like, I will root for who I like... Let's just hope it is a good game for old OverTime...

pate

I have nothing but respect for team members standing or lost...

In that spirit, I correct a few bad songs:

Madness - Our House

Cricket is a helluva game I give you the win

My House Has Wheels

Not proud no...

& Cricket is a helluva game...

pate

For friends there is this:

Pixies - Gigantic

For the rest I have this: (apologies in advance)

The Kinks - Do It Again

Let us have a good and worthy game.

edit: I do wish my brothers on the other side the best of luck, and let us both play our tiny hearts out, a good game is expected, let our friends see such a thing...

pate

Seems to be an awful song, but I'll go with it for whatever happens:

John Mellencamp - Jack & Diane

Totatally jinks it...  apologies all around...

eddie dean

I'm not that big  of a MLB fan, but 2014 WS reminds me of the 2001 series (AZ vs NY). Game 6 was a blowout in favor of the home team.   both the 2001 d-back & 2014 royals were down 3-2 in the series going into game 6. I'm sure there are many other similarities and many more differences, but for some reason I got that deja vu feeling while watching Game six.

I give the nod to KC tonight. They have the momentum at home. It should be a good game and I expect it to be  back and forth, & a very close game. Prediction, A come from behind win for KC in the bottom of the 9th.

pate

I note that, I also have some sort of meltdown in the 2nd I believe by the Giants...  At this point (so my source not Dame Edward I assure you) Baumgardner is put in... I don't buy it, the guy pitched 120+ a few days ago, and if Hudson is the guy... well they have their whole bullpen....

Note, I said Baumgardner (sp) start...  At least that's what I figured, probable has Hudson, so I am wrong there (I didn't actually say he'd start, just that he'd be seen again...)  as a fan I'd like to see him benched... but this is the last game of the season...

I hope for a good game, but this is baseball so anything could happen, a shutout for either team isn't unprecedented now... Don't really see that happening but it could...

Gd5150

Its been a great season and World Series. No one expected either team to make it this far at the end of the regular season. Both have defied the odds to get this far. Of all the teams the Giants could lose to the Royals are a very likable story.

That said, Hudson has wanted to pitch in a World Series his whole life, so now he gets the ball in game 7. The core of this Giants team has defied the odds since 2010. Beating TX in 5 in 2010. Winning 3 in a row on the road in Cin down 2 games to 0 to win the NLDS in 2012. Coming back from 3 games to 1 against STL. Sweeping Det in the WS. They were picked to lose to Pit, Was, & Stl this year. Beat all without having the home field advantage. They have been better on the road all year. They have the experience. If theres any team that can win a game 7 on the road its these guys.

No matter what it'll be exciting!

saucerlike

Royals (my bandwagon team) were so close...  I'm not a true fan of either team but that bottom of the 9th was like a mini heart attack every pitch, especially when the fielding errors let Gordon take 3rd.  Bummed that KC lost but Bumgarner is a fucking BEAST.  He destroyed my Pirates and made it look easy.  I'd say that's a Hall of Fame performance without a doubt.

Gd5150

I'm a lifelong Giants fan. Last night was absolutely crazy. Feel bad for the Royals, they are a great team and were easily the toughest of the 3 the Giants have beaten in the World Series in the last 5 years.  We were there in 2002, having the title away in game 6 against the Angels. It was brutal.

Madbum is a beast, truly one of the greatest post season/World Series performances in history. I really thought they wouldn't use him, thought it was a bluff haha!

Still can't figure out how they got by the Nats. Really thought they'd win it all.

eddie dean

Quote from: saucerlike on October 30, 2014, 06:19:57 PM
Royals (my bandwagon team) were so close...  I'm not a true fan of either team but that bottom of the 9th was like a mini heart attack every pitch, especially when the fielding errors let Gordon take 3rd.  Bummed that KC lost but Bumgarner is a fucking BEAST.  He destroyed my Pirates and made it look easy.  I'd say that's a Hall of Fame performance without a doubt.

Bumgarner has icewater in his veins. it was pretty amazing how cool he was last night despite the pressure. Both of the SF outfielders demonstrated how that kind of pressure can manifest when they fumbled around with the 2 out bot of 9th fly ball! It nearly cost them the game or at least extra innings. I thought that error was going to give KC the opening they were waiting for. Bumgarner shut it down however. Good game!

phrodo

Even year... Ginats had their pixie dust (or satanic sacrifices) working for them. Cocksuckers. 

Quote from: eddie dean on October 30, 2014, 09:02:55 PM
Bumgarner has icewater in his veins. it was pretty amazing how cool he was last night despite the pressure.

He definitely gets his mojo working in the WS!  He's a pleasure to watch, and he had one of the most spectacular WS ever!

pate

Going back to my OP...

I have nothing at all to be ashamed of.

The Royal's record of of unbeaten playoffs leading to the World Series should hold for at least 50 yearns (that's Galactica {original} yearns)...

Dobie Gray - Drift Away (Original Official Video)

{my grandpappy is proud of either team '85 or '14 Royals (either, pick 'em)}

...My top picks for Major Leagues to fail would be NBA & whatever the soccer league is...

But then, I am so down at the heel right now...

*PB* that whole Giants win the pennant video sounded like "Mars Attacks" until I adjusted the levels...  The second sounded like a White Sox fan

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=25416

On further review, perhaps there was a bit of Little League shenanigans in that Wild Card game

Quote from: eddie dean on October 29, 2014, 02:16:36 PM
2014 royals were down 3-2

That alone as a statement is prophetic...  Ed?

Needless to say, I think I met Jack and Diane tonight (err, was it yesterday?)

John Mellencamp - Jack & Diane

I am going to try to be vague about it lest I violate a sacred trust.

I shook Bill Butler's hand earliers, perhaps even shortly after he became a free agent.  I think I told him (though some sort of misty eyes, I think there was a bit of dust in there, as there is no crying in baseball...) something along the lines of "Thank you for the great year, my heart broke along with yours when things went the way they did."

I did not add that I hoped to see him next year as a member of the team;  my team, his team, our team... I was too close to weeping, (which is incidentally allowed I believe, as it is from joy and hope that such things occur, as in the birth of a child or one's favorite team winning...) Anyhow, the man deserves to be a part of something that he spent the last eight years building... Heck, he's already got a 50 year team to hang his hat on if not another thing (let's see the Giants sweep the playoffs next year...)

Next yearn, I say...  Next yearn...

dagnabbit, I almost fergot:

Gimme the Beat Boys / Drift Away Lyrics

edit:  God love ya Billy!  Grab that brass ring!

2nd edit:  I (pate) did not get punched in the face, I wasn't expecting it, and neither did it happen!  JOY~!

The 2 changes I would make to baseball are

1) get rid of the DH.  Completely awful.

2) institute balls and strikes being called electronically - set the machine for the top and bottom of the strike zone by player (the width would always be the same).  It the ball goes through the strike zone it's a strike, if not, it's a ball. 

No more individual strike zones for each umpire, that change from day to day. 

No more calling strikes balls if the ump is mad at the pitcher or catcher, or if the pitcher is having trouble throwing strikes, or if the batter is known for having a 'good eye'. 

No more calling strikes balls if the ump is mad at the batter, or if the pitcher has great control that night, or if the catcher is clever in framing the pitch.

The strike zone is not from the belt to the top of the shoes.  If they want that to be the strike zone, change the rule.

pate

Excellent points!

I'll add:

3)  Robots will/should/can play better than humans, why not let them?

4) Betting is illegal in most states/countries...

edit: 5)  Robots never have bad/good years

pate

hold a sec, just had a brain freeze:

what if;

6) fans should be robots, then we'd get away from 20 year old strikes that take time to get over..?..?

-or-

x) baseball is so nationalistic fascist why aren't the Japan leagues or the South American leagues allowed into this alleged World Series, cricket fans around the world wonder...  Heckfire even the EU leagues with their alleged 'baseball' leagues, we all know they refer to soccer futbol!

eddie dean

Quote from: pate on November 02, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

That alone as a statement is prophetic...  Ed?

I just started on DVD #2 of the Ed Dames remote viewing series.
Just you wait mister!
Next year, my WS predictions will accurately reflect my RV progress. :)

prepare to be astounded  by my amazing vagueness and random guesses. All under the tutelage of master Dames!
mawhahhhaha

Quote from: eddie dean on November 02, 2014, 11:38:42 AM
I just started on DVD #2 of the Ed Dames remote viewing series.
Just you wait mister!
Next year, my WS predictions will accurately reflect my RV progress. :)

prepare to be astounded  by my amazing vagueness and random guesses. All under the tutelage of master Dames!
mawhahhhaha

If you get the same results I did, Colorado will win the WS in six games over Houston.

Fortunately, the WS wasn't ruined by the Fox announcers despite their incompetence and lack of professionalism.  In Game 7, not one of them pronounced "Bumgarner" correctly.  They called him "Bumgartner," "Bumgardner," and even "Bumgarden."  That's inexcusable and they should all be sacked and banned for life from the announcing booth.   >:(

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 02, 2014, 03:32:29 PM
Fortunately, the WS wasn't ruined by the Fox announcers despite their incompetence and lack of professionalism.  In Game 7, not one of them pronounced "Bumgarner" correctly.  They called him "Bumgarner," "Bumgardner," and even "Bumgarden."  That's inexcusable and they should all be sacked and banned for life from the announcing booth.   >:(

If they had any sense, they'd hire Rikk Wilde (The Chevy Guy) as the color man.