• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Russian Spy Numbers

Started by BryinFalls747, June 08, 2011, 07:17:50 AM

BryinFalls747

I just recently started using a Ham radio, and while scanning through some of the ranges, I picked up a signal that would transmit a mans voice and a womans voice repeating seemingly random sets of numbers. I haven't been able to turn up much, so I figured i'd reach out and see what you guys might know. What im really askining is:

What is the signals purpose?

What do the numbers represent?

Who is transmitting it?

Is there a connection to the G2-YL Spy Project?

Is there a connection to UVB - 76?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Marc.Knight

Quote from: BryinFalls747 on June 08, 2011, 07:17:50 AM
I just recently started using a Ham radio, and while scanning through some of the ranges, I picked up a signal that would transmit a mans voice and a womans voice repeating seemingly random sets of numbers. I haven't been able to turn up much, so I figured i'd reach out and see what you guys might know. What im really askining is:

What is the signals purpose?

What do the numbers represent?

Who is transmitting it?

Is there a connection to the G2-YL Spy Project?

Is there a connection to UVB - 76?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

http://www.slate.com/id/2259417/

BryinFalls747

That was very informative. Thank you. I am assuming that UVB - 76 is something entirely different. Do happen to have anything on that?

Marc.Knight

Quote from: BryinFalls747 on June 08, 2011, 03:10:51 PM
That was very informative. Thank you. I am assuming that UVB - 76 is something entirely different. Do happen to have anything on that?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=UVB+-+76

There's a 4 CD set that is available for free download @ archive.org
The Conet Project - Recordings of Shortwave Numbers Stations [ird059] : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Monitoring Times used to have a column about numbers stations but they got rid of their pirate radio column a couple years ago so it might be gone now.

...the number of "numbers stations" has really decreased in the past 10 years. :(

Usagi

That article has made me revive my otherwise half-hearted desire to get into short-wave radio!

One of these days!