• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

GravitySucks

Several people are discussing starting a Classic Movie Discussion Thread.

Lots of ideas floating around, so I started this thread to see what it morphs into.

21st Century Man, TigerLily, VoteQuimby, albrecht, et al... Y'all's turn.

...keep them doggies Rollin.  Ooops. That was a classic TV show.

starrmtn001

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM
Several people are discussing starting a Classic Movie Discussion Thread.

Lots of ideas floating around, so I started this thread to see what it morphs into.

21st Century Man, TigerLily, VoteQuimby, albrecht, et al... Y'all's turn.

...keep them doggies Rollin.  Ooops. That was a classic TV show.
Are ya talking old movies, old movie houses, or both?

GravitySucks

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 11, 2016, 05:35:59 PM

Only time will tell 😎

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 11, 2016, 05:35:59 PM

Both for sure. If you haven't seen Metropolis yet check it out. Actually all of Fritz Lang movies are good. M is another of my favorites. Metropolis has influenced every thing from Star Wars to Tim Burton.

Drive Ins count?   The Gratiot Drive In in Roseville, Michigan has some pretty classic
memories for me.   ::)

Dr. MD MD

Most know Welles for his masterpiece, Citizen Kane. While it's still my favorite, second place has to go to 1958's A Touch of Evil. It's become somewhat of a cult classic over the years and is known not only for being Welles' take on film noir but for it's opening shot, which is one, three and a half minute, continuous crane shot. A lot of the time you can find a lot of these old movies complete on You Tube but I couldn't find this one, unfortunately. I'm not sure why. I would think it would be considered public domain by now but I know Disney has been fucking that all up in the last few years because a bunch of their characters were about to enter the public domain and they weren't having it.  ::)

Oh well. Here's the opening shot, anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg8MqjoFvy4

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 11, 2016, 08:09:47 PM
Most know Welles for his masterpiece, Citizen Kane. While it's still my favorite, second place has to go to 1958's A Touch of Evil. It's become somewhat of a cult classic over the years and is known not only for being Welles' take on film noir but for it's opening shot, which is one, three and a half minute, continuous crane shot. A lot of the time you can find a lot of these old movies complete on You Tube but I couldn't find this one, unfortunately. I'm not sure why. I would think it would be considered public domain by now but I know Disney has been fucking that all up in the last few years because a bunch of their characters were about to enter the public domain and they weren't having it.  ::)

I think because it was remastered and released to theaters and DVD etc a few years ago? A great movie and the actors and actresses!! Also interesting that, as a more modern person, you still get that vibe when you go to border towns- at least until the more recent cartel stuff making it insane to visit border towns. Very much like that (crime but still 'safe' in some circumstances, ex-pats living down there avoiding US charges, smuggling, houses/areas of prostitution, drugs and legal drugs (pharmacia) sex shows, cock fights, corrupt police, etc.) I don't want give-aways but the movie also portends more modern activity of criminal gangs that we see now.

chefist

Great movie...Charleston Heston playing a Mexican sheriff is fantastic! I saw this movie at 5:30am one day before I went to work. I was really impressed with it.

GravitySucks

The first James Bond film. Dr. No. 1962

Sean Connery in his first film as Bond, James Bond,  fights SPECTRE in Jamaica.

Ursula Andress lending her beauty as Honey Ryder. Her speaking voice was supplied by German voice actress Nikki van der Zyl. Her singing scenes were dubbed by English actress Diana Coupland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw61uyA0F8A

Uncle Duke

I have five movies I consider to be "classics", understanding using that word to describe a movie means different things to different people.  At least a couple of these most people, especially younger fans, will have not heard of, but I consider them great flicks.

The first (#5) is the 1965 release, "John Goldfarb, Please Come Home".  This is a Cold War farce that takes place in a fictitious Middle East nation, and involves the actions of the US and Soviets to get control of a US U-2 spy plane that crashed there.  Big name cast....Peter Ustinov, Richard Crenna, Shirley McClain, Henry Morgan, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Richard Deacon, Jim Baccus all come to mind.  The highlight of the film is football game played in the desert between Notre Dame and a team made up of Arab warriors/nomads. This movie would be very politically incorrect now as it perpetuated some very unkind/uncomplimentary stereotypes of Arabs/Muslims, if shown today might cause another Benghazi attack.

More to follow if the thread goes on and there is interest in other films.

TigerLily

TCM is my default tv channel. I am a serious classic movie geek.  I have favorite movies in every genre but probably Film Noir is my favorite.  My all time favorite movie - no surprise - Casablanca.  Every scene is a gem. So many quotable lines, even known by people who have never seen the movie.  Even great backstory tales. And Bogey.
Perfect.

Classic Movie Thread, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on June 12, 2016, 10:54:39 AM
TCM is my default tv channel. I am a serious classic movie geek.  I have favorite movies in every genre but probably Film Noir is my favorite.  My all time favorite movie - no surprise - Casablanca.  Every scene is a gem. So many quotable lines, even known by people who have never seen the movie.  Even great backstory tales. And Bogey.
Perfect.

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.  ;)

Yeah, great perfect movie! I've lost track of how many times I've seen it now.  :)

TigerLily

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 12, 2016, 11:46:15 AM
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.  ;)

Yeah, great perfect movie! I've lost track of how many times I've seen it now.  :)

We'll always have Bellgab. Although I'd rather have Paris.

Same here. And every time I watch it I thoroughly enjoy it.  TCM is so great because sometimes I settle in to watch a particular movie but often I just turn on the tv which I normally keep on TCM to avoid commercials, and get sucked in to whatever is on. I've discovered so many great movies that way.

"Damn you, TCM!"  "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on June 12, 2016, 12:11:49 PM
We'll always have Bellgab. Although I'd rather have Paris.

Same here. And every time I watch it I thoroughly enjoy it.  TCM is so great because sometimes I settle in to watch a particular movie but often I just turn on the tv which I normally keep on TCM to avoid commercials, and get sucked in to whatever is on. I've discovered so many great movies that way.

"Damn you, TCM!"  "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"

I've never been to Paris but France, in general, sounds like a great place. A big country with lots of beautiful countryside and filled with rude, sarcastic people who love to eat. Got be a Bellgabber's paradise, right?

Let's all learn or brush up on our French. Maybe we can find a way to occupy their country next.  ;)  :D

TigerLily

I got to spend a month in La Belle France.  Spent 3 days in Paris then motored throughout the country. Parisians are a lot like New Yorkers in my opinion.  But even there I met some gracious and charming people.  It is very beautiful. And it was fun to develop the habit of a two hour meal.  Formidable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSiMfvDyhyg

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on June 12, 2016, 03:05:54 PM
I got to spend a month in La Belle France.  Spent 3 days in Paris then motored throughout the country. Parisians are a lot like New Yorkers in my opinion.  But even there I met some gracious and charming people.  It is very beautiful. And it was fun to develop the habit of a two hour meal.  Formidable!

Nice! Funny how all the New Wave films were a direct inspiration to most of the Blockbuster directors of the 70s and 80s.  8)

zeebo

TCM is my default tv channel. I am a serious classic movie geek.  I have favorite movies in every genre but probably Film Noir is my favorite.  My all time favorite movie - no surprise - Casablanca.  ...

Great movie of course - I also love the somewhat less famous Bogie/Bacall classic 'To Have and Have Not'.

TigerLily

Quote from: zeebo on June 12, 2016, 03:17:48 PM
Great movie of course - I also love the somewhat less famous Bogie/Bacall classic 'To Have and Have Not'.

When true love bloomed. Bacall was so great at the sultry look but this smile at the end of the movie says it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs4vI2XnQJ4

TigerLily

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 11, 2016, 11:14:33 PM
The first James Bond film. Dr. No. 1962

Sean Connery in his first film as Bond, James Bond,  fights SPECTRE in Jamaica.

Ursula Andress lending her beauty as Honey Ryder. Her speaking voice was supplied by German voice actress Nikki van der Zyl. Her singing scenes were dubbed by English actress Diana Coupland.

Ursula Andress. The first Bond Girl. But if she couldn't sing or even talk, why was she even ... never mind 

By far the best James Bond was Sean Connery.  Though Daniel Craig is a worthy runner-up

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on June 12, 2016, 03:17:48 PM

I think my favorite Bogie movie has become "In a Lonely Place."  A very bittersweet, heartbreaking classic.  Bogart is superb, as well as Gloria Grahame.

ItsOver

Here's a great OMD video, "Pandora's Box," about an actress from long ago.  A timeless beauty.  Andy McCluskey is so damn talented and still doing songs and concerts.

http://youtu.be/PMFKib_Byb8

TigerLily

Nice pick, IO. A deep cut from Bogies repertoire. I've only seen it a couple of times and don't remember it that well. I will have to keep an eye out for. Turned on the tv a minute ago and Treasure of Sierra Madre is on TCM.  Resisting the temptation to dive into it.

I'm saving your video for a late night listen. Thank you for posting

ItsOver

Quote from: TigerLily on June 14, 2016, 07:02:39 PM
Nice pick, IO. A deep cut from Bogies repertoire. I've only seen it a couple of times and don't remember it that well. I will have to keep an eye out for. Turned on the tv a minute ago and Treasure of Sierra Madre is on TCM.  Resisting the temptation to dive into it.

I'm saving your video for a late night listen. Thank you for posting
Thanks, TL.  I'd never seen "In a Lonely Place" until last year when I stumbled on it on GetTV.  A very interesting study of a romantic but troubled relationship. 

I just recently got into OMD.  They're best known for their big '80s hit "If You Leave," but they have a number of songs I enjoy and Andy McCluskey is such a talent.  He's fun to watch for how much he gets into a performance, with his "McCluskey dance."

Here's another great live performance from the '90s in Germany.

http://youtu.be/BALPXXQKunw

Perfect.

Thanks, GS.  :D

I thought about starting it but I was afraid MV would merge it with that other "I watched a movie" thread.  Please don't do that MV.

TCM is my default TV channel too.  Love noir too.  One of my favorites is a half-comedy, half-serious noir called His Kind of Woman with Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell and Vincent Price providing comic relief.

I absolutely adore this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smdt0wGkrfg

Except for the relatively new flicks, I may shift my reviews to this thread as it is more appropriate.

Yes indeed.  That opening tracking shot is classic.  I love both movies and have Kane on Blu-ray while I think I still only have Touch on DVD.    Chimes at Midnight is coming out in August on the Criterion label and I hear it is excellent.

Perfect.

Bogey is in my top 5 of favorite actors.  I've loved him since I was a kid when I saw Play It Again, Sam with my parents at the movie theater when I was about 5.

Recently bought a Criterion edition of In A Lonely Place with him and Gloria Grahame, one of the best tarts ever produced by the silver screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu8E3LooDZo

Quote from: TigerLily on June 12, 2016, 03:48:49 PM
When true love bloomed. Bacall was so great at the sultry look but this smile at the end of the movie says it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs4vI2XnQJ4

Hoagie Carmichael too along with the great Walter Brennan.  One of my favorites.

Quote from: ItsOver on June 14, 2016, 03:15:11 PM
Here's a great OMD video, "Pandora's Box," about an actress from long ago.  A timeless beauty.  Andy McCluskey is so damn talented and still doing songs and concerts.

http://youtu.be/PMFKib_Byb8

That movie is awesome.  Louise Brooks is like wow in that.  I have it on DVD.  Been a couple years since I watched it for the first time.  Ready to get it out and watch it again.

I'd like to find a nice copy of it.  Oh wow, there is a fairly nice copy of it on youtube.  Subtitles though. However I doubt there are many in this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWlh46dgEto

Do take the time to watch silent movies.  After a half dozen or so you'll fall in love.

Quote from: ItsOver on June 14, 2016, 03:08:54 PM
I think my favorite Bogie movie has become "In a Lonely Place."  A very bittersweet, heartbreaking classic.  Bogart is superb, as well as Gloria Grahame.

I didn't see your post about it.  You have great taste.  I also recommend The Desperate Hours.  One of Bogey's last.