• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

McPhallus

Reminds me of the GPS watch Casio made about that same time.  It was also a clunky POS useless as a watch and as a GPS.  I had one for about two days before I flipped it on eBay.  I do kind of like Casio's older frogman-style watches, though.  These days, I prefer high-end mechanical wrist clocks. :)

Quote from: area51drone on March 31, 2014, 03:28:47 AM
I agree with McPhallus.  As a side note, I once worked on Samsung's wrist watch phone in 2000 (around there), helping to add voice control to it.   It was a big clunky piece of shit.  I don't know if this is it exactly, but it looked very similar to this:

For some reason, Samsung has a hard on for wrist phones because they've been doing it a long long time.

area51drone

When is a paperclip worth $40?   When you can add a touch of solder to make it slightly bigger so that it will fit into your power cord, open your broken Viewsonic Gtablet, stick the paperclip through the back of the power barrel jack, bend it 90 degrees at the end, cut the rest of it off, solder it to the +  pad on the motherboard, slap that motherfucker back together and boom, your tablet is charging again.     I love technology.   Too bad I already ordered myself a replacement Asus Memo Pad 10 for $130.  Oh well, I can always use another used throw away tablet.

Jackstar

Quote from: area51drone on March 31, 2014, 03:28:47 AM
For some reason, Samsung has a hard on for wrist phones because they've been doing it a long long time.

In the future, all restaurants are Taco Bell.

area51drone

Quote from: b_dubb on April 04, 2014, 07:10:42 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26879185

MS defeated by an actual child

Nice little hack...  "The company also gave him four free games, $50 (£30), and a year-long subscription to Xbox Live."

WTF?  That's it?  Give the kid some scholarship money or something.   "Here smart kid, play more xbox"

albrecht

Quote from: area51drone on April 05, 2014, 07:52:08 AM
Nice little hack...  "The company also gave him four free games, $50 (£30), and a year-long subscription to Xbox Live."

WTF?  That's it?  Give the kid some scholarship money or something.   "Here smart kid, play more xbox"
Yeah, that is a pretty disappointing end to a great story. "Play more video games kid".

steelbot

Here's and interesting tidbit and could have implications for all our podcasters out there as well as a topic for a later Spec Sheet once details and pricing emerge.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/07/skype-tx-for-broadcasters/

This hacker attack warning is from a year ago, but it's worth reposting at this time:

Hackers Release Warning Video

area51drone

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on April 07, 2014, 08:56:52 AM
This hacker attack warning is from a year ago, but it's worth reposting at this time:

Hackers Release Warning Video

Maybe that guy needed some pizza rolls instead...

wr250

NSA Said to Exploit Heartbleed Bug for Intelligence for Years

The U.S. National Security Agency knew for at least two years about a flaw in the way that many websites send sensitive information, now dubbed the Heartbleed bug, and regularly used it to gather critical intelligence, two people familiar with the matter said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-11/nsa-said-to-have-used-heartbleed-bug-exposing-consumers.html

wr250

this concerns those "20 million people have looked at this item" popups. here is how to block them:
download and install the  adblockplus extension/plugin
follow directions for your browser and install it
click on the ABP stopsign
click options
click the "add your own filters" tab
in the text field next to the  "add filter" button paste this: ebay.com##div.vi-notify-cmp
click the add filter button
restart your browser if needed (usually not)
seems to stop those annoying blue popups in the pic below

hope this benefits someone

area51drone

Nice, now all we need is unlimited data caps on our cell phones and sianara comcast!

b_dubb

Didn't MS try to drop support for XP before only to reverse it's decision because they didn't have any truly viable alternatives (Vista)?

Quote from: b_dubb on April 17, 2014, 03:34:00 PM
Didn't MS try to drop support for XP before only to reverse it's decision because they didn't have any truly viable alternatives (Vista)?
Yes, a few years ago. I remember that but not the details of it.

b_dubb

I'm really happy I've never had to do any MS Silverlight development. That shit is just a nightmare.

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 18, 2014, 03:43:47 PM
Yes, a few years ago. I remember that but not the details of it.

As I remember there was a revolt in the corporate buyers' world against forced upgrading to the abomination known as Vista, so MS extended support for awhile.  If it had just been us chump consumers yelling about it we would have been ignored as per usual MS policy.

area51drone

I don't know what all the hoopla was about vista.  XP, Vista, 7, it's pretty much all the same user experience, IMO.  Sure you have to turn off security notices that are annoying as shit, but other than that, it all pretty much looks and feels the same.   8 is the joke.

zeebo

Quote from: area51drone on April 18, 2014, 11:41:25 PM
I don't know what all the hoopla was about vista.  XP, Vista, 7, it's pretty much all the same user experience, IMO.  Sure you have to turn off security notices that are annoying as shit, but other than that, it all pretty much looks and feels the same.   8 is the joke.

I think the original complaints beyond the security boondoggle were that it was super-slow and all the drivers were lacking/broken.  Of course they hosed up alot of other stuff like breaking backwards compatibilty by arbitrary interface changes, but that's standard in each new Windows version. 

Case in point, why, Microsoft, did you banish the poor little Up-Folder button in file manager, you know, the little button not doing any harm, not bothering anyone, that simply let you go up a level in the directory tree.   The little button that I've used for years and years without complaint.

And on top of that, you dropped the only decent screensaver you have (unlike linux which has many), that's right, the classic stars one.  (Actually you can steal that back onto 7 if you have an XP copy lying about.)

Mr. Fidget

Anyone using a device with a mini-1/4 inch phono plug:

When the inside connections get bent creating loss of signal in either ear... I've had great luck using a piece of plastic straw as a shim, eliminating the play causing the signal loss. I'm always careful to leave enough to grab onto while assembling the fix, you don't want the straw to get stuck down in there.  I find it easier than cracking it open and bending the connectors, or the dental pick bending trick.
   I've been able to keep using it a device for years with this trick, and I thought you folks might like it in your bag of tricks. I imagine it could work on other sizes, I just have not had that need... yet.
:)

area51drone

OMG, THIS IS IT.  GTFO Mr. Fidget.  You can invade the rest of your forum with wandering tales of bicycle chain links, keychains and earphone straws, but not here!  What's next, The Spec Sheet thread?

Getting arrested - Australian style (NSFW)

Just kidding of course, we love your insanity here at bellgab.

Jackstar

Dude, wtf! Now that he's been fixed, he's been getting way better!

Why do you hate progress?? I'm not even kidding--I nearly threw up a "good post" post, but I figured he was so fucking tweaked out he would assume I was stalking him, so I didn't--but I'm serious. That was a good post. (Relatively.)

Take back your scorn, or it's gonna be me and my Bigfoot army, on your porch, at dawn! Some day! Some where! In a book! On a shelf! Unsold! That I tell you about! From behind bars! No really! What's your birthday?

zeebo

Guys just a reminder to make sure you've got enough toolbars.

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: zeebo on June 11, 2014, 07:44:42 PM
Guys just a reminder to make sure you've got enough toolbars.

Looks like my mom's computer.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: zeebo on April 18, 2014, 11:50:52 PM

Case in point, why, Microsoft, did you banish the poor little Up-Folder button in file manager, you know, the little button not doing any harm, not bothering anyone, that simply let you go up a level in the directory tree.   The little button that I've used for years and years without complaint.

you can press the alt key and the up arrow key at the same time to do this.

zeebo

Quote from: MV on June 18, 2014, 12:54:07 PM
you can press the alt key and the up arrow key at the same time to do this.

cool tip actually thanks (but I still want my little button back since I've sadly become mouse-dependent after years of learning and forgetting and re-learning countless key combos on different apps and op systems)

Quote from: zeebo on June 21, 2014, 01:05:33 AM
cool tip actually thanks (but I still want my little button back since I've sadly become mouse-dependent after years of learning and forgetting and re-learning countless key combos on different apps and op systems)
I've got the up arrow just to the left of the address bar.

area51drone

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 21, 2014, 01:25:05 AM
I've got the up arrow just to the left of the address bar.

Each directory can be clicked on to move around. Once you realize, it's actually much better than the folder.