• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Is "Curse of Oak Island" totally fake or just partially fake?

Started by zeebo, November 18, 2014, 11:59:10 PM

zeebo

I caught some of a mini-marathon a few nites ago.  One epi, I think it was last season's finale, had some descendants of the teens who'd first stumbled upon the money pit way back when.  They displayed a 500-yr old golden cross which they claimed was part of 3 treasure chests dug up by their great-great-whatevers . 

Now if that's legit, where's the rest of the artifacts?  Why was this treasure supposedly found next to some nondescript tree instead of deep down the main pit?  Most important, how'd this bright ray of hope arrive just in time for the genius bros. to decide to come back for another season?

Brody

New preview reveals that mother nature wiped out the road the big rigs travel on and we start the season with an emergency road reconstruction.  I'm geeked up!

Brody

I cackled when they transitioned from the panicked attitude of WE MUST REBUILD THE ROAD NOW to "Taking a break in the war room...."

The bit on the teen boy dying hit me in the feels. 

zeebo

Update, they found some pottery shards.  And there's still talk of the Knights Templar.  And one of the guys got Lyme disease for a few days.

Gd5150

Wow can’t believe that show is still on. The old In Search Of on Oak Island was creepy.

Rix Gins

I have long been fascinated by the Oak Island Mystery but I don't watch the show because those two brothers bug me and why, I don't know.  Perhaps it's the brother with the ultra white beard...like he dipped his face in milk.  Anyway, treasure or not, I would like to know how people from so long ago were able to tame the ocean in order to install those water traps that triggered flooding when the original treasure seekers got down to a certain depth.  From an engineering standpoint, those traps would have been almost impossible to dig, especially in sand and, as mentioned, with the Atlantic ocean breathing down their necks.

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on January 29, 2018, 03:19:52 AM
... And one of the guys got Lyme disease for a few days.
Ha!  I accidentally stumbled upon that episode when I was channel surfing a hotel TV.  Next it'll be an episode about a serious outbreak of athlete's foot, not that Lyme disease is trivial. 

About time you popped out of your tree, squirrel.

zeebo

Quote from: Gd5150 on January 29, 2018, 03:23:55 AM
Wow can’t believe that show is still on. The old In Search Of on Oak Island was creepy.

In Search Of was an awesome show, a gateway drug for me and many others.  Of course they covered the whole Oak Isle story in what, 22 minutes?  This other show, is now in I believe in its friggin 5th season, so lets just say it has some "filler" lol. 

Still, I must admit, it's become a guilty pleasure, being kind of like Ancient Aliens in that even when it's totally idiotic, it's so well-done in hyping theories that sometimes it's irresistible to speculate ... Who was involved? - Blackbeard, Sir Francis Drake, the Knights Templar?  What if!  What's there? - pirate treasure, Shakespeare's lost folio, the Holy Grail?  What if!

So far it's mostly been a series of inconclusive "clues", which lead to more "mysteries", kind of like a never-ending National Treasure movie.  But damn I still binge-watch a few episodes sometimes, despite my better judgement.

zeebo

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 29, 2018, 03:55:57 AM
... those two brothers bug me and why, I don't know.  Perhaps it's the brother with the ultra white beard...like he dipped his face in milk.  ...

Hahaha I'm laughing so hard at this.  Btw hi Rix, been awhile.

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on January 29, 2018, 06:45:12 AM
Ha!  I accidentally stumbled upon that episode when I was channel surfing a hotel TV.  Next it'll be an episode about a serious outbreak of athlete's foot, not that Lyme disease is trivial. 

About time you popped out of your tree, squirrel.

Yeah I had to shake my head at how indestructible the guy is to get over it so fast, I stub my toe and I'm out for a month.  Hope all's well with you, IO.

Rix Gins

Quote from: zeebo on January 29, 2018, 01:08:59 PM
Hahaha I'm laughing so hard at this.  Btw hi Rix, been awhile.

Hi Zeebo.  I am so happy to see you back.  The place wasn't the same without you.  Hope to see some new questions in your cool Hardest Questions To Answer thread.

Quote from: zeebo on January 29, 2018, 01:07:23 PM
In Search Of was an awesome show, a gateway drug for me and many others.  Of course they covered the whole Oak Isle story in what, 22 minutes?
Still, I must admit, it's become a guilty pleasure,... it's so well-done in hyping theories that sometimes it's irresistible to speculate ... Who was involved? - Blackbeard, Sir Francis Drake, the Knights Templar?  What if!  What's there? - pirate treasure, Shakespeare's lost folio, the Holy Grail?  What if!
So far it's mostly been a series of inconclusive "clues", which lead to more "mysteries", kind of like a never-ending National Treasure movie....
=======================================
'Allo!
With you yet am i.
Thinking back way back am i.
Seems,way before the "In Search Of"episode,an group of would-be crackers(code,not red-necks)were able to finagle an appearance on,the "Dick Cavett Show"late night,an entire slot--mebbe,90 or so minutes,excludeing commercials.
The two men showed an slide(?)show of old and new B&W photos and maps of the entire history of the island,ending with plug for an new corporation they formed to investigate further.
What possibility that,some-one out in the 'Bull-Grab"fan base would have taped it?...
"B_B"
PS:No Logo:
"][ 7VF ]["
PPS:"How's your mom,Ed?"

GravitySucks

Quote from: Beelzebubbelah on January 30, 2018, 08:00:47 PM
'Allo!
With you yet am i.
Thinking back way back am i.
Seems,way before the "In Search Of"episode,an group of would-be crackers(code,not red-necks)were able to finagle an appearance on,the "Dick Cavett Show"late night,an entire slot--mebbe,90 or so minutes,excludeing commercials.
The two men showed an slide(?)show of old and new B&W photos and maps of the entire history of the island,ending with plug for an new corporation they formed to investigate further.
What possibility that,some-one out in the 'Bull-Grab"fan base would have taped it?...
"B_B"
PS:No Logo:
"][ 7VF ]["
PPS:"How's your mom,Ed?"

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1448379/

zeebo

So awhile back they found some weird stuff in this one test spot like leather book bindings and pottery chips and even human bones.  Convinced they were on the Money Pit, the drilled it again with a much bigger drill, and found zilch.  So now they think maybe treasure got like "pushed" off to one side, and will drill another spot.  That poor island is like swiss cheese by now. 

They also found a supposed 12th century Templar artifact, just laying around by the beach.  Nearby they unearthed part of a toy gun, presumed unrelated.  Why do I watch this show?

=Schlyder=

Quote from: zeebo on February 01, 2018, 01:34:36 PM
So awhile back they found some weird stuff in this one test spot like leather book bindings and pottery chips and even human bones.  Convinced they were on the Money Pit, the drilled it again with a much bigger drill, and found zilch.  So now they think maybe treasure got like "pushed" off to one side, and will drill another spot.  That poor island is like swiss cheese by now. 

They also found a supposed 12th century Templar artifact, just laying around by the beach.  Nearby they unearthed part of a toy gun, presumed unrelated.  Why do I watch this show?

The cross they found was indeed very very very old. The toy gun was determined to be one which was lost by one of the resident searchers  kids, many years ago.  The kid , now an adult, identified it. 
   The reason they keep finding new stuff along the beaches is because winter storms uncover things all the time along the beaches.  They are using a metal detector...it isn't just laying around.
Also. they found artifacts at depths below any searcher tunnels of the past.  It is very interesting.
   I imagine as a TV production being involved that we will have to deal with the drama they try to create, along with the slow to develop story of it all to stretch it out for TV.
       The TV show is showing last season's work, and as far as from the info from a person who lives on the end of the causeway to the island, who posts on a Facebook page with photos and stories etc. The operation and equipment is still there, and will resume another season of digging this spring.  The storms have battered the causeway again this winter, so I imagine they will find more items when they scan the beaches with the metal detectors again. 
   They are boring another wide hole with a caisson , and that is likely where the season will end... when they get to the bottom... LOL it will be the usual cliffhanger season ender.

zeebo

Yep I admit the cross is pretty cool and the possible Templar connection is intriguing.  I am amused though at how all their discoveries just lead to more questions or fantastical theories, saying always how "this requires more research" (a.k.a. the next show).  Then when that angle fizzles out they just change the focus for awhile and go down some other sidetrack.  But I can't help myself, I keep watching the thing.  If they ever do pull it off it'll be one of the great epic "We told you so" moments ever documented.

Quote from: zeebo on February 01, 2018, 07:38:53 PM
Yep I admit the cross is pretty cool and the possible Templar connection is intriguing.  I am amused though at how all their discoveries just lead to more questions or fantastical theories, saying always how "this requires more research"
'Allo!
With you yet am i.
WHILST LOOKING FOR INFO RELATED TO THE GRAND CANYON CITY,FOUND THESE STORIES SERENDIPITOUSLY:
Suggesting i that the Oak island pit could have been re-worked from an archaeic cache or bank see:
[http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5345049/Did-ancient-Greeks-sail-Canada.html]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[https://www.hakaimagazine.com/news/did-ancient-greeks-sail-to-canada/]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Plutarch/Moralia/The_Face_in_the_Moon*/home.html]
[http://remacle.org/bloodwolf/historiens/Plutarque/lune.htm]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[http://remacle.org/bloodwolf/historiens/Plutarque/lune1.htm]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the Canyon searches photos from archive:

[https://web.archive.org/web/20050204191107/http://www.anomalous-images.com:80/gc3_h.htm]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[https://web.archive.org/web/20050308015828/http://www.anomalous-images.com:80/Grand_Canyon/gc_photos.html]
======================================
"B_B"
PS:More,Anon...
][ 7VF ][

zeebo

Quote from: Beelzebubbelah on February 02, 2018, 11:08:08 PM
...WHILST LOOKING FOR INFO RELATED TO THE GRAND CANYON CITY,FOUND THESE STORIES SERENDIPITOUSLY:
Suggesting i that the Oak island pit could have been re-worked from an archaeic cache or bank

Good stuff Beelz.  I don't think this has come up before on the show.  Perhaps insider knowledge of this was passed down amongst clandestine groups, to be exploited later. 

zeebo

Quick update.  The Templar 'cross' artifact discovered awhile back, is apparently instead a depiction of a goddess derived from ancient Phoenician myth.  So the mystery begets another mystery, as per usual.  Also the drill, which is excavating the hole-near-the-other-hole-we-were-sure-the-treasure-was-in-last-week, broke.

Rix Gins

Quote from: zeebo on February 10, 2018, 01:57:27 AM
Quick update.  The Templar 'cross' artifact discovered awhile back, is apparently instead a depiction of a goddess derived from ancient Phoenician myth.  So the mystery begets another mystery, as per usual.  Also the drill, which is excavating the hole-near-the-other-hole-we-were-sure-the-treasure-was-in-last-week, broke.

The drill broke?  Oh no!  Back when I watched the show, I always got the impression that the driller thought that the brothers were kind of, shall we say, a bit crazy.  "Oh, you want me to move the drill over there?  Sure thing."  Slight head shake, a little eye roll and suppressed smile.  Thinks to himself, "What do I care, I'm being paid by the hour."

pate

I am finally watching this show ( seasons 2-4 on prime).  Think I am somewhere near the end of Season 2.  I was really amused when the beard-brother went down into 10x to remove ladders and crap for the divers.  No hard-hat, no safety glasses, no gloves but he did have a swiss-seat on in the cage.

I guess Canada doesn't have an OSHA-type office in gov't?

Did this shit-shoe make it to a 5th season?  Nautical Shore I can...

And another thing, the island itself looks like a duck or a dog to me.  One more thing, the obvious artificial swamp is an obvious Masonic pyramid.

That is all, Carrie Anne.

-p

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: pate on October 30, 2019, 06:28:42 PM
I am finally watching this show ( seasons 2-4 on prime).  Think I am somewhere near the end of Season 2.  I was really amused when the beard-brother went down into 10x to remove ladders and crap for the divers.  No hard-hat, no safety glasses, no gloves but he did have a swiss-seat on in the cage.

I guess Canada doesn't have an OSHA-type office in gov't?

Did this shit-shoe make it to a 5th season?  Nautical Shore I can...

And another thing, the island itself looks like a duck or a dog to me.  One more thing, the obvious artificial swamp is an obvious Masonic pyramid.

That is all, Carrie Anne.

-p

I think they’re starting season 6 next week. Looking forward to it. :)

Lilith

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 30, 2019, 06:39:07 PM
I think they’re starting season 6 next week. Looking forward to it. :)

Me Too.
It starts Tues.

I think it's season 7.

I could be wrong.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: brig on October 30, 2019, 07:13:38 PM
Me Too.
It starts Tues.

I think it's season 7.

I could be wrong.

No, you’re probably right. Like pate, I’m a latecomer to this game. I just started watching it over the last couple years.

This show is killin` me. I have watched every single episode. At this point, I`m just too invested to quit.

I hate myself for watching it. However, I do find some entertainment factor in watching Marty and Rick`s kid(s)/ nephew(s) grow-up and observing how much they look like their dad(s)/uncle(s).

I miss Dan, though.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: FightTheFuture on November 20, 2019, 05:17:27 AM
This show is killin` me. I have watched every single episode. At this point, I`m just too invested to quit.

I hate myself for watching it. However, I do find some entertainment factor in watching Marty and Rick`s kid(s)/ nephew(s) grow-up and observing how much they look like their dad(s)/uncle(s).

I miss Dan, though.

They’ve got to access that treasure chest! What they think is a body beside it is, in my estimation, most likely a ship’s figurehead. Their sonar revealed something that sure looks like a sunken ship. Either that or a giant dildo revealing an ancient race of giants. Someone call L.A. Marzulli!

ItsOver

Quote from: Gd5150 on January 29, 2018, 03:23:55 AM
Wow can’t believe that show is still on...
This.  I just can't get into the show at all.  Just one B.S. epsiode after another, totally scripted, like most of the so-called "reality" shows in what used to be The History Channel.  I'd rather watch Noory and his buddy George Sucks-a-lot do Bravo Sierra about how aliens were all over the place in ancient history, unlike today. That, or go to the dentist for a root canal.

http://youtu.be/gpSlZqWPk74

Lilith

The appeal for me, is all the people we get to meet, the theories we get to hear, and the places they visit to gather information.

Quote from: brig on November 20, 2019, 07:40:14 AM
The appeal for me, is all the people we get to meet, the theories we get to hear, and the places they visit to gather information.

Yeah, truthfully, it`s always interesting to hear different theories.

There`s no question that something very interesting happened on that little island hundreds of years ago. It`s really no longer about finding "the treasure." I think it`s about finding cool artifacts and piecing together some logical theory as to what was going on back then. I`m just hoping the picture gets a little clearer when it`s finally a wrap.