• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Alzheimers or early dementia for George?

Started by cartoonbear, August 19, 2011, 01:41:58 AM

cartoonbear

Longtime lurker, love this forum, it's polite and yet critical and non-insipid.

I keep reading through the threads to see if anyone else thinks Snorgie may be actually ill. Years ago I had a boss who demonstrated similar behavior--word pronounciation issues, "scripted" sounding questions and responses--this was a very smart guy who ran a successful business for years, but about a decade later it came out he had early Alzheimer's. In retrospect, his strange behavior made a lot more sense, and I felt bad about my thoughts/snark.

One of the things I noticed with this person and other people with dementia--they're like the definition of crazy, e.g., "if you think you're crazy you probably aren't"? It seems like a huge characteristic of this disease is not knowing you have it, and maybe everyone around you doesn't want to admit it so they protect you (especially if you're a public figure like Snoory or my old boss...) I wonder if the producers give him a script and he has some vague idea about following it and that's all he can do, like some part of him knows he's impaired and the rest of him is focused on the next three seconds. I dunno, I never even looked this up on the almighty interwebs, just a sense.

I totally deplore Snorgy's destruction of the show, because it's got great potential even sans Art Bell (who was a great host but somehow reminded me of a Bangcok sex tourist)--but I wonder if maybe the whole team is kind of propping George up.

PS, if you like Knapp, he's got an awesome archive of well written and serious columns for the Vegas alt paper, can't remember the paper's name (yeah, I'm demented early too) but google is the friend of the slightly idiotic, like me. PPS: anagrammy is equal parts interesting theory, white wine, affectionate reminiscence, and storytelling. Maybe I will be like that someday not too long from now, and regale my grandbabies with amazing stories and listen to theirs, like I do with my kids, I hope.

Morgus

That theory has been posted about many times before here in various threads.
Might be caused by all the supplements Noory has been taking for years, perhaps a turmeric overdose? :P

Scully

Great first post, Cartoonbear, and welcome.  Glad to have you. 

Morgus is right.  We've hashed and rehashed early Alzheimer's and everything else anyone could think of that might explain Noory's strange behavior.  No consensus, though.  Your post adds to the theory that he may not be a well man.

One thing I've noted lately is that Noory has started saying he will be around as long as his voice "stays young."  Anagrammy had recently mentioned that she thought George's voice was sounding stressed.  Then tonight his voice really almost gave out on him on air. Really sort of through him for a loop when it did, too.  Hmmm ... ya just never know what may happen next.

Lovely Bones

This may have been mentioned in an earlier discussion on the issue--if so, please forgive--but have others noted how often Snoory brings up the fleeting nature of time?  Seems as if at least two or three times a week, he'll bemoan how fast the year is flying by, how fast his life is flying by, how 19-whatever was just "yesterday," etc. 

He's only 61, which shouldn't put him on the edge of crossing the veil, looking back on a life well-lived and contemplating the great abyss in front of him.  Unless . . .

Just a thought.  Not that I wish him, or any other human, ill. 

cartoonbear

George also has the attention-free quality of those who are emailing or texting while you're talking to them on the phone. You know--the long pauses, the canned responses? I've done it myself when talking to my husband while at work. I wish there was some kind of AI algorithm which could compare one voice over time and diagnose its changes, kind of like the vocal equivalent of those creepy Japanese toilets that diagnose your, errrm, poo.

Thank you for the nice welcome! I am sorry if I've brought up a tired subject. But the Noory mystery is more fascinating, in some ways, than UFOs or ghosts: why is he so disconnected? What is up with him and Art Bell? (I have read those threads and love them). Maybe Noory is a just a DISINFORMATION AGENT!! Then we can call him Snoory, "THE SLEEPER."

Scully

Not a "tired subject" to me, Cartoonbear.  Like you, I find the topic fascinating.  The more determined Noory is to hide the truth (all the  while saying he's seeking it), the more I want to know what's behind his phoney baloney persona.

The General

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 28, 2011, 08:01:02 PM
He may have fetal alcohol syndrome.
Is it too late for his mom to have an abortion?

Frys Girl

Quote from: The General on August 28, 2011, 09:03:14 PM
Yes. We can't make omlettes. By the way, that picture of George Noory's grandkid in an egg..... was it fan photoshop? Is Noory that desperate for fans that stalkers = fans? that picture is a cry for help.

rolindos

Quote from: The General on August 28, 2011, 09:03:14 PM

Well, it seems proof that GN is a Reptilian, hatched from a strange lizardly egg? Kind of creepy...

Quote from: Scully on August 19, 2011, 03:06:44 AM
Great first post, Cartoonbear, and welcome.  Glad to have you. 

Morgus is right.  We've hashed and rehashed early Alzheimer's and everything else anyone could think of that might explain Noory's strange behavior.  No consensus, though.  Your post adds to the theory that he may not be a well man.

One thing I've noted lately is that Noory has started saying he will be around as long as his voice "stays young."  Anagrammy had recently mentioned that she thought George's voice was sounding stressed.  Then tonight his voice really almost gave out on him on air. Really sort of through him for a loop when it did, too.  Hmmm ... ya just never know what may happen next.
It's not that complicated. Snorty is a social retard.

Scully

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on August 30, 2011, 11:34:04 AM

Well, that would explain a lot.  ::)

Morgus

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on August 30, 2011, 11:34:04 AM
apparently Noory only recognizes bumper music sung by Frank Sinatra too.  :o

Junius

Robert1972

I won't make an excuse for him such as having a disease.  He is just an idiot and bad host.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Morgus on August 19, 2011, 01:45:37 AM
That theory has been posted about many times before here in various threads.
Might be caused by all the supplements Noory has been taking for years, perhaps a turmeric overdose? :P

I keep wondering if he takes the tumeric orally or rectally.

He does seem to have the tumeric guy on a lot.

I've never even seen tumeric.

Where would one buy such a thing ?

And has anyone investigated the tumeric guys claims for validity ?

Morgus

they sell turmeric powder as a spice in grocery stores.
there are also supplements with the turmeric powder in capsules available from many vitamin/supplement sites.
its a yellow colored powder, i heard its what gives mustard that color.

Quote from: Falkie2013 on September 23, 2011, 04:32:36 AM
I keep wondering if he takes the tumeric orally or rectally.

Quote from: Morgus on September 23, 2011, 02:07:38 PM
there are also supplements with the turmeric powder in capsules available from many vitamin/supplement sites.

So he could be keestering turmeric capsules, then.

Tara

I use tumeric powder for Indian cooking, i.e. curries, etc.  Don't understand Noory's obsession with the stuff.  No way you could get high on tumeric or the kids would know about that by now.

fysisist

Quote from: Agent : Orange on September 23, 2011, 02:27:10 PM
So he could be keestering turmeric capsules, then.

please.... that is really a disturbing image to carry into a friday evening...

Quote from: fysisist on September 23, 2011, 04:48:08 PM
please.... that is really a disturbing image to carry into a friday evening...

Hey, don't blame me, I just connect the dots.

rolindos

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 08, 2011, 07:39:20 PM
Bingo! I thought Morgellon's

It's called Assphasia,  his ass looks so much like his face, his bowels don't know which way to move :P

Quote from: xenocon on September 23, 2011, 06:51:23 PM
It's called Assphasia,  his ass looks so much like his face, his bowels don't know which way to move :P

You might be onto something.  They say people and their pets start to look similar as they age, I wonder if Tommy's ass is starting to look like George's face...

Frys Girl

Quote from: Tara on September 23, 2011, 03:21:21 PM
I use tumeric powder for Indian cooking, i.e. curries, etc.  Don't understand Noory's obsession with the stuff.  No way you could get high on tumeric or the kids would know about that by now.
He likes it because it is from the Far East, therefore promoting it as a natural remedy/prevention herb from the "exotic" and "mystical/magical" lands where people don't get cancer (ha ha ha..) or even a flu lol because of the stuff is easy, especially when your audience consists of uhhhh drunks and hoarders and paranoids.

M Knight

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 23, 2011, 08:05:40 PM
He likes it because it is from the Far East, therefore promoting it as a natural remedy/prevention herb from the "exotic" and "mystical/magical" lands where people don't get cancer (ha ha ha..) or even a flu lol because of the stuff is easy, especially when your audience consists of uhhhh drunks and hoarders and paranoids.

What is it with you and hoarders? LOL

Scully

Pickles are flavored with turmeric.  Who knew?  :-*

Quote from: Scully on September 24, 2011, 01:46:53 AM
Pickles are flavored with turmeric.  Who knew?  :-*

So he could be keestering...

Nevermind.

Lovely Bones

In fairness to poor little ol' turmeric:

http://www.bri.ucla.edu/bri_weekly/news_060206.asp

It appears studies are indeed underway on curcumin's effect on a variety of diseases, including cancers, Alzheimer's, cystic fibrosis, etc. 

Modern medicine is starting to sit up and pay attention. Scientists are taking a closer look at this Asian wonder spice, teasing out active ingredients and testing its age-old cultural and medicinal uses in 21st century laboratories. The National Institutes of Health has funded at least eight studies investigating turmeric.

But Noory is over-hyping where the research stands, according to this 2006 article:

While intriguing, experts caution that all these results are still preliminary. No one yet knows if turmeric will end up another herbal fad or make a lasting contribution to Western medicine.

Dr. David Knopman, an Alzheimer's researcher at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minn., said many ideas in his field come from animal work, and the potential of turmeric seems biologically plausible. But until these compounds are tested in people there is no way to know their full potential, he added.

I'd have to look further to see what's happened since 2006, but I doubt the Noory claims for turmeric have been scientifically supported or we'd have heard more about them.