• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Reading Minds: The CoastGab Book Club

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, October 23, 2008, 12:06:30 AM

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 18, 2014, 02:19:16 AM

Triplets possessed by the collective ids of every incarnation of Carolyn Keene and Franklin W. Dixon, freed from servitude and finally able to write the books they always wanted to.

Hahaha. Funny you should mention those names. As you may already know, our friend and ZOTZ! author Walter Karig contributed three Nancy Drew titles under the Keene incarnation.

All roads lead to the bat god.

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 18, 2014, 03:21:29 AM
Hahaha. Funny you should mention those names. As you may already know, our friend and ZOTZ! author Walter Karig contributed three Nancy Drew titles under the Keene incarnation.

I did not know that!  That can't be a coincidence because there are none!  Powerful forces are indeed at work in the universe.

I'm reading Kinslayer by Jay Kristoff, the second book in the Lotus Wars series.  Japanese feudal steampunk with mythical elements. It's pretty good so far.

maureen

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 18, 2014, 03:21:29 AM

[attachimg=1]
nice, Camazotz, thanks for memory of pre-teen summers of the 50's reading The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and Judy Bolton.... til I discovered Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy and LeonTolstoi.. nice memories

Horoscopes of the Dead by Billy Collins

Quote from: maureen on December 27, 2014, 06:51:21 PM
nice, Camazotz, thanks for memory of pre-teen summers of the 50's reading The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and Judy Bolton.... til I discovered Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy and LeonTolstoi.. nice memories

You're welcome. RGG tends to break loose the stalactites in my mind resulting in a clearer flying course for the curse of ZOTZ.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 30, 2014, 02:25:10 PM
Horoscopes of the Dead by Billy Collins

You're welcome. RGG tends to break loose the stalactites in my mind resulting in a clearer flying course for the curse of ZOTZ.

I think we're through adjusting the caverns of your mind.  Now it's time to start working on the canyons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkQ0tpQmobc

A friend recommended The Martian by Andy Weir, and I would have to second that recommendation. About 2/3 through and it's awesome and intense. I can't remember the last time I was so immersed in a novel.

pate

huh, is this kids books?  I admit I hadn't read it until I was an adult in my late 20s or early 30s but Heinlein's "Starship Troopers".

Excellent juvenile book, horrible juvenile movie....

That said, I read "The Hobbit" in the third grade and finished "Lord of the Rings" in the fourth, I am not claiming to be a scholar on either other than Hobbit was one book and the Rings were six, looking at the movies I notice that the creators of the filth seem to have the ratio backwards...

I've got a bunch of "original" AD&D manulas (lost the paperback red and blue basic and advanced D&D stuff Gygax made in the late 70s or whatever, eh, he loved the Zep too?)

Led Zeppelin - Battle of Evermore

huh?  I sound like an old geek?

Well I'm an old dork.  Look that up, the word 'dork", yeah it didn't help me much then either...  #shouldabeenapr0nstar....

'You don't like Zepp?'

Snowblind by Christopher Golden
Revival by Stephen King

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 15, 2015, 07:09:12 PM
Snowblind by Christopher Golden
Revival by Stephen King

I just finished Mr. Mercedes.  How's Revival?

Killing Jesus by Bill O'Reily.

Quote from: Treading Water on February 16, 2015, 07:18:52 PM
I just finished Mr. Mercedes.  How's Revival?

I like it so far, TW.  About halfway through.

I'm looking forward to the sequel to Mr. Mercedes coming out in June. King is a writing machine:

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 18, 2015, 06:06:21 PM
Killing Jesus by Bill O'Reily.

I like it so far, TW.  About halfway through.

I'm looking forward to the sequel to Mr. Mercedes coming out in June. King is a writing machine:

[attachimg=1]

King apparently writes faster than I can read.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on February 18, 2015, 06:13:26 PM
King apparently writes faster than I can read.

I'm beginning to believe King sleep types - getting up in the middle of the night and typing twenty pages while on automatic pilot - his "night book" completely different than whatever project he works on while awake.

3OctaveFart

King has said he was so blasted out of his mind he has no recollection of writing Cujo.

That to me is as impressive as anything in his corpus- producing a bestseller and having no memory of it.

Lately, I've read enough pop fiction to choke the Lemaean Hydra. (That's a lot of choking.) It's time for some mind food.

Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden
Dimensions
by Lisa Randall.

I remember listening in real time when Art Bell interviewed the author.  He was quite smitten by Ms. Randall's brains and beauty combination. I admit to a similar fluttering of my bat-winged black heart.

[attachimg=2]

coaster

A friend gave me a copy of J. Maarten Troost's "The Sex Lives of Cannibals" and said it was one of the best books he has ever read. I'm going to start reading it later today, but I know I'm going to be disappointed. No book ever lives up to that kind of hype. If he was such a great writer, he would have been on my bookshelf by now.

albrecht

Just read "The Frozen Dead" by Bernard Minier. As a first effort very well done. Nice atmosphere, intriguing story, great setting, good character development and details, etc. Plot a little not believable (then again not too recently http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/dec/20/france.jonhenley) but if you like murder-thrillers I would say worth the read and once into it hard to put down. It is a little wrong but I'm a pretty fast reader so length not that much of a concern to me. Some minor parts loose a bit in translation- but not enough to be damaging or rendered incomprehensible.
http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Dead-Bernard-Minier/dp/1250045533/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426284218&sr=8-1&keywords=the+frozen+dead

Killing Patton by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard.

I was unable to finish Killing Lincoln and Killing Jesus due to experiencing a high level of boredom. Killing Patton is tracking much better. So far.

But if Killing Patton goes south for me like the previous two, then instead of attempting to read Killing Kennedy, it might be time to pen Killing O'Reilly.

paladin1991

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 29, 2015, 10:25:28 PM

I was unable to finish Killing Lincoln and Killing Jesus due to experiencing a high level of boredom. Killing Patton is tracking much better. So far.

But if Killing Patton goes south for me like the previous two, then instead of attempting to read Killing Kennedy, it might be time to pen Killing O'Reilly.
Just finished it.  I thought it was okay.   

coaster

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 29, 2015, 10:25:28 PM

I have all three. I got half way through Patton and had to stop. The writing was dull and there was nothing new. Dugard is an excellent author, but these books are lacking...something.
Last two books I picked up are Darwin's Odyssey: The Voyage of the Beagle and In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette. I am very excited to read both and will be diving in this weekend.

Juan

Killing o'Reilly has already been penned and is available at Amazon.

albrecht

"Mystery of the Invisible Hand" by Marshall Jevons. The mystery is only "ok" and the writing is fine, not excellent but it is an interesting concept and also fun to be reminded of basic economic and game-theory stuff and how the main character, an economist like the writers, use them to solve the case.

http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Invisible-Hand-Henry-Spearman/dp/0691163138/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429368620&sr=1-1&keywords=marshall+jevons

Roswells, Art

A long time ago, before I was a member here I saw someones avatar being a cover of a book. I don't remember the title, I don't even know if it was this forum but I thought I would ask here about the book hoping it was this forum and hoping it was Eddie Coyle due to his freakish memory. I saw the avatar and Googled the book and all I remember about it was something about a taxi driver who made horse racing bets.  That's it.  It seemed like a good book.  I know it's not very much to go on but it might be enough, especially if it was once an Eddie Coyle avatar.

3OctaveFart

"Moody Bitches".
Author is a practicing NYC psychiatrist.
She analyzes the neurochemical reasons for many emotional and physical changes, particularly in women. She also breaks down what a lot of antidepressants and psychotropic meds actually do- not necessarily what they're prescribed for.

paladin1991

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on April 18, 2015, 03:10:41 PM
"Moody Bitches".
Author is a practicing NYC psychiatrist.
She analyzes the neurochemical reasons for many emotional and physical changes, particularly in women. She also breaks down what a lot of antidepressants and psychotropic meds actually do- not necessarily what they're prescribed for.
What, that's not about us here?

ONeill

Quote from: Juan on April 18, 2015, 04:28:28 AM
Killing o'Reilly has already been penned and is available at Amazon.

Finally!

albrecht

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on April 27, 2015, 11:22:50 AM
Good read here

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121560/bibliophiles-defense-physical-books
Good article. I'm more concerned with the technological (and physical aspect) I know the "ereaders" are getting better on eye-strain but still it can be bad. And the disruptions of emails, facebooks (not that I do it), internet, etc. Even having a "e" dictionary onhand so you don't need to take time to look up a new word is troubling. Also the ability of copyright holders to limit resale or distribution of works and the ability of patent holders (and/or governments) to edit, delete "troubling content" or even whole ebooks. Finally the technology changing so that all those "books" you have on a device, or a certain format, becomes obsolete or a virus even deletes them or renders them inaccessible. Sure governments, churches, cadres, and radicals have (over history, even to this day) tried to burn or eliminate some works but will, potentially, be easier if all are "e" and "in a cloud" accessible. Or DRM'd or linked to you- "they" will know what you are reading, what you have, etc. Just my 2cents. I also like holding them, reading different fonts, and yes, even the smell (sometimes) of a real book. BUT if "e" gets more children, and people, reading than it is good, I guess. But not for me.

3OctaveFart

I hear you, and agree with you. It ain't for me, either. Too much invested over time.
When Pushkin was on his deathbed he was asked if he wanted his friends summoned to say farewell.
He took a long look at at the bookcases around his room.
"Good-bye, friends," he said.
Works for me.