• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: BettyO417 on April 14, 2018, 09:27:14 AM

The post from Keith absolutely sickens me. What was the plan/undermining? Was the announcement to be so spectacular that HW & KR would use it to boost & promote MITD? In order for his fans, friends, foes to find out any information on Art’s passing would we have to go through MITD? Of course we would.

Ding, ding, ding. We may have a winner.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 14, 2018, 11:35:27 AM
Keith isn't exactly a people person, but perhaps he should get a little slack at what has to be a very distressing and emotional time

Agreed, however he posted the same message under three accounts.  :-\

First time I heard Art was 1996 driving westbound on I-90 just past Manastash Ridge (Mel's Hole) while station surfing and on comes some guy named Richard Hoagland talking about artificial structures on the moon. You drove us crazy sometimes, Art. God Blessya.

FallenSeraph

I'M SHOOK, as the kids would say. Stunned. Heartbroken. Even though I was irritated with Art, this is horrible. (And hi from Seraphim27. I forgot I asked MV to kick me off after I got in a brawl with the Falkie folks. Had to make a new login.)

OH ART, YOU BASTARD! WHY????

My dad died a couple of months ago. I got laid off last month. 2018 wins for SUCKING.

Art always said he would try to send us a sign though. So there's that at least.

I feel like throwing up or crying.

Rest In Peace Art Bell, now taking that final journey to the other side along with Ramona and so many of his beloved friends and past show guests.

Art will live on forever in our minds, ipods, torrents and on internet streaming servers all over the world.  It's a damn shame that the same cigarettes that fueled him through those legendary shows took him off the air before his time was truly up.  Kudos to Drudge for giving Art a top spot on his page, which unfortunately was how I always knew I'd hear the news someday.

Today marks the official end of a very special period in America. It's an unseasonably cold and rainy day here in Texas... fitting.

ItsTelly

Shows never done and, now, never will:

1) He never told his Ouija Board story. He said he never would, and he never did.  He literally took it to his grave.  Having said that, I can't help but wonder what the hell happened?

2) A show on life in the Philippines and how life there is different from the USA.  As I have a lot of Philippino friends (and have even dated a few), I was really looking forward to this show. 

Telly

Rico999

I first heard Art Bell on Coast or whatever it was back then, in the very early 90s, when it was a straight talk show, late into the night.  All calls were unscreened, of course, and Art handled all of the calls, many of them from very strange people, in his unique, unflappable way.  It was interesting and amusing.  Then along came Dreamland and the game completely changed.  It was Art's greatest asset -- his intellectual curiosity -- that built the paranormal radio talk genre, launching the careers of many and introducing the work of Linda Moulton Howe and Whitely Strieber, among countless others, to the mainstream of AM talk.  Art got put down by a lot of media writers, but he was a man for his times and despite many setbacks, he kept at it.

He was an enormous talent and he did it with ease because he loved what he did.  There was nothing forced or phony about him.  I think you got Art just as he really was every time out of the gate.

I'm really going to miss Art Bell and my condolences to his family and to all who enjoyed his work.  He was a real legend.

Art, enjoy the Big Ride wherever it takes you.  So long.

Quote from: mv on April 14, 2018, 11:31:06 AM
heh heh

We'll see if I can't scrape together a GabCast this evening. Watch the GabCast thread for updates.

kewl  8)

AppealPlay

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 14, 2018, 09:23:23 AM
It's nice to see long lost posters checking in.

First time I logged on in a long, long time.  As soon as I heard the news that Art had passed I knew I had to go to BellGab.  It's a sad day. :-\

ItsTelly

Art always said he would try to send us a sign though. So there's that at least.

He did?  I don't recall this.  What did he say?

The obvious way would be to contact Heather (when (if) she is on the air again) or through C2C with Noory (Or Knapp) while on the air.

I do remember after Ramona past he said he was contacted by her (although I don't recall the specifics).

Well, I suppose, at least we have that to look forward to.

Telly

bellNwhistle

Quote from: AppealPlay on April 14, 2018, 11:47:00 AM
First time I logged on in a long, long time.  As soon as I heard the news that Art had passed I knew I had to go to BellGab.  It's a sad day. :-\

Same.  I haven't posted in here for over 2 years.

Thanks for having a place for us to go, MV.

chefist

God Speed, Art...thanks for everything!

https://youtu.be/CLiLMboE9I8

GravitySucks

Quote from: bellNwhistle on April 14, 2018, 11:48:46 AM
Same.  I haven't posted in here for over 2 years.

Thanks for having a place for us to go, MV.

Hi bnw

bellNwhistle

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 14, 2018, 11:58:06 AM
Hi bnw

*waves*  Hope life is treating you well, GS.. all considered.   :)

Sean92008

Wondering if there's a final "goodbye show" that he recorded with a plan to air it after death...

Many media outlets keep obituary files updated so when an celebrity passes they have it immediately available.
Maybe that was his mindset and he did his own.

Since he's gone, I can only anticipate the bone picking and intrigue in the aftermath.  Who will crash and burn?  Who will go pit bull?  What will happen to 976-Heather and Keith "Better not get pulled over in Nye County" Rowland?  Will Airyn remarry next week or will she wait until the coroner's report clears her of wrongdoing?  Are her and Heather's alibis tight?

Zetaspeak

Quote from: ItsTelly on April 14, 2018, 11:45:21 AM
Shows never done and, now, never will:

1) He never told his Ouija Board story. He said he never would, and he never did.  He literally took it to his grave.  Having said that, I can't help but wonder what the hell happened?

2) A show on life in the Philippines and how life there is different from the USA.  As I have a lot of Philippino friends (and have even dated a few), I was really looking forward to this show. 

Telly

What I thought today was that this year is the most mainstream media coverage of UFO ever with the NY Times doing an in-depth story of the military interactions with UFOs. I haven't followed Art on facebook (only the few times I might catch somebody posting it on here) would have loved to hear this thoughts on this and if he would give a big "I TOLD YOU SO"

As for Keith wanting it to be kept quiet. I know a lot of people who really cared for Art like a family member. That he would like to have days of rumors of "Is it true or isn't" and add added uncertain heartbreak to those people. Really says something.

If it weren't for Art, I wouldn't have discovered Noory

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 14, 2018, 12:05:25 PM
Wondering if there's a final "goodbye show" that he recorded with a plan to air it after death...

If you are hearing this show, it's because I have passed on to the afterlife...

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone actually did that and passed on gossip and other salacious morsels that they could not repeat in real life?

Darth Vader

Here is an email that Falkie send out about Art Bell

As you know I was a huge fan of Art Bell.

And I have been told of all the supposed senior abuse done by Heather Wade, Aldous Burbank and others fronm Bellgab.
I hope foul play is not involved.
Truly fitting that the #1 paranormal broadcaster would die on Friday the 13th.
Now another April date that will be in my mind forever.
Art is finally free.
Hopefully now Aeryn will kick Heather Wade out of her home.
She was a terrible influence on Art.

The Emperor of Nye & Paranormal Talk is dead.
We shalll not see his like again.

Sean92008

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 14, 2018, 12:07:05 PM

So, blaming Art, huh?  Kick a man before he's in the grave why don't you?

Have you recovered yet?  Maybe you can place a claim on his estate.

warsau

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 14, 2018, 12:07:05 PM

That's not really a good thing.

Darth Vader

I am not a very happy camper because of the pasting of art.  :'( :'( :'(

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 14, 2018, 12:09:52 PM
So, blaming Art, huh?  Kick a man before he's in the grave why don't you?

Have you recovered yet?  Maybe you can place a claim on his estate.

It was a joke, geez

aldousburbank

Friday the thirteenth
Do you want to take a ride?
Don't fear the reaper

Sean92008

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 14, 2018, 12:11:53 PM
It was a joke, geez
I was joking, jesus.

Well, except for the part about placing a claim on the estate for mental anguish...  Snoory can't be unheard...

someguy

Quote from: chefist on April 14, 2018, 11:52:44 AM
God Speed, Art...thanks for everything!

https://youtu.be/CLiLMboE9I8

it was always sad hearing this song because you knew the show was over. now it's all over for good

FallenSeraph

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 14, 2018, 12:12:20 PM
Friday the thirteenth
Do you want to take a ride?
Don't fear the reaper

OMGAWWWW you're right. He died on Friday the 13th!

He would've wanted it that way. Or Halloween.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: someguy on April 14, 2018, 12:14:50 PM
it was always sad hearing this song because you knew the show was over. now it's all over for good
:'(

awguy

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 14, 2018, 09:23:23 AM
It's nice to see long lost posters checking in.

I haven't logged on here in quite a while but just had to today.

It's a sad day for sure. I first discovered the show back in early 1999 and was hooked immediately. That first hour was always must listen radio for me, Art giving his take on the news of the day followed by open lines. Then I usually went to bed (2am here in the east). If I was interested in the guest, I would sometimes tape the rest of the show and listen the next day.

I've made a career in radio myself (as least for now) and although I probably would have gone into radio anyway, Art had a huge influence on me. Listening to Art and reading his book taught me what good radio could be and should be. From using bumper music to set the mood (rather than just being there out of habit), to getting the best out of whomever he was interviewing.

R.I.P. Art. You will be missed by so many... W6OBB Signing off.