• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Overused Words

Started by ItsOver, October 10, 2017, 06:36:51 PM

ItsOver

Is there some overlord in the ministry of truth who decides what the word of the day is for the talking head morons?  I've heard the word "palpable" used three times today.  I used to work with someone who's only positive adjective appeared to be "awesome."  Damn, has everybody become Spicoli, with a vocabulary that would embarrass a chimp?  Maybe I'll call into Jorch tonight so I can hear him say "That's true!  Let's go to Bill in West Hartford.  Billy, how are yeeewww!"

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on October 10, 2017, 06:36:51 PM
Is there some overlord in the ministry of truth who decides what the word of the day is for the talking head morons?  I've heard the word "palpable" used three times today.  I used to work with someone who's only positive adjective appeared to be "awesome."  Damn, has everybody become Spicoli, with a vocabulary that would embarrass a chimp?  Maybe I'll call into Jorch tonight so I can hear him say "That's true!  Let's go to Bill in West Hartford.  Billy, how are yeeewww!"
Remember that brief period of time when "gravitas" was the word? Maybe the media has those calendars that give you a new word everyday or maybe it is texted to them with their morning script talking-points update? Who knows....

Swishypants

"TAKE AWAY!" Take out? Take it up the ass? What? You mean "your understanding" you hooked-on-phonics-motherfuckers!? Needs some SYNERGY on that shit for it to be SCALEABLE!

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 10, 2017, 06:47:50 PM
Remember that brief period of time when "gravitas" was the word? Maybe the media has those calendars that give you a new word everyday or maybe it is texted to them with their morning script talking-points update? Who knows....

I forget, was that when Russia was good or bad?

ItsOver

Quote from: Lord Grantham on October 10, 2017, 06:43:59 PM
https://www.fastcompany.com/3052242/the-secret-to-sounding-smart-using-simple-language
No issue with that article but it would be nice if the talking heads could at least use a few different simple words.  I'd consider something such as "noticeable" to be simpler than "palpable."  What's uncanny and somewhat creepy is how certain words and news scripts seem to vomit out from Big Brother to the talking heads everywhere, as the approved deliverance for the day.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on October 10, 2017, 06:47:50 PM
;D  "Gravitas" still comes up on occasion, with all the talking heads spewing it out on the same day, of course.  But, yes, I remember when I wanted to hammer my car radio into oblivion when it became the word of the week, at a minimum. 

Swishypants

I hate it when they start talking about Black people being afraid of outer-space! It makes me want to slug them in the cock!

ItsOver

Quote from: WOTR on October 10, 2017, 06:46:13 PM
"false flag"  8)
Ha!  That reminds me of a favorite word of Clyde Lewis, "meme."  Hell, it seems to be one of his favorite topics, next to conspiracies.

ItsOver

Quote from: Swishypants on October 10, 2017, 07:02:48 PM
I hate it when they start talking about Black people being afraid of outer-space! It makes me want to slug them in the cock!
Yeah, I can't understand that, either.

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on October 10, 2017, 06:57:44 PM
No issue with that article but it would be nice if the talking heads could at least use a few different simple words.  I'd consider something such as "noticeable" to be simpler than "palpable."  What's uncanny and somewhat creepy is how certain words and news scripts seem to vomit out from Big Brother to the talking heads everywhere, as the approved deliverance for the day.
There are some funny youtube videos of compilations of local news outlets copying each other verbatim on some issues, like the Easter Bunny even.
I haven't watched the "morning news shows" in a long time but when I was down in Houston helping someone post-Harvey I only had the antenna and so limited channels. It is amazing how frigging happy those people are so early? I'm thinking more than coffee or some really weird sleep schedule and plastic surgery. It was appalling to be so happy so early in the morning and report on things like new hurricanes, war, and devastation with a smile and then back to banal discussions about other tv shows, some Hollyweird star, and pop culture.

Swishypants

Quote from: ItsOver on October 10, 2017, 07:10:17 PM
Yeah, I can't understand that, either.

They think Obama sabotaged NASA because of that movie btw.

WOTR

Homered.  As in, "he was playing baseball, and he homered."

I'm old enough to recall the first time I heard it used and I thought the announcer was a mental reject or made a mistake.  Then he used it again and I had confirmation that he was an idiot... And then it caught on and people no longer "hit home runs."  They simply "homer."

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 10, 2017, 07:15:46 PM
official story
You didn't get the memo? Now the preferred is "narrative," as "story" clued too many people into the game despite public education.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on October 10, 2017, 07:13:02 PM
There are some funny youtube videos of compilations of local news outlets copying each other verbatim on some issues, like the Easter Bunny even.
I haven't watched the "morning news shows" in a long time but when I was down in Houston helping someone post-Harvey I only had the antenna and so limited channels. It is amazing how frigging happy those people are so early? I'm thinking more than coffee or some really weird sleep schedule and plastic surgery. It was appalling to be so happy so early in the morning and report on things like new hurricanes, war, and devastation with a smile and then back to banal discussions about other tv shows, some Hollyweird star, and pop culture.
I think it's come up here before but the pariah of the left and the RINOs, Rush, has played outtakes from across the MSM which are virtually identical.  They're pretty funny, but also disturbing, when played back-to-back.  You may as well blow-up the MSM, end the charade, and just have The Big Brother Love and Truth news outlet.

I can't take most of the local news idiots across the country.  You're right, they'll feign concern over some tragedy and then immediately jump into happy-time, with shit eating grins, and perkiness over some supposed celebrity or stupid pop culture item.  Just what I need at 6am.  People might be surprised to learn how many news folks and politicians are on Benzos.

Gd5150

Quote from: ItsOver on October 10, 2017, 07:29:41 PM
I think it's come up here before but the pariah of the left and the RINOs, Rush, has played outtakes from across the MSM which are virtually identical.  They're pretty funny, but also disturbing, when played back-to-back.  You may as well blow-up the MSM, end the charade, and just have The Big Brother Love and Truth news outlet.

I can't take most of the local news idiots across the country.  You're right, they'll feign concern over some tragedy and then immediately jump into happy-time, with shit eating grins, and perkiness over some supposed celebrity or stupid pop culture item.  Just what I need at 6am.  People might be surprised to learn how many news folks and politicians are on Benzos.

Local news is worse than cable news. It’s best to just avoid all the news as it’s just a bunch of bs anyways. This weeks word was “publiciity stunt” when Pence left the football game on Sunday. YouTube it, you’ll see about 1000 links of all the “independent thinkers” on the left repeating each other.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 10, 2017, 07:23:04 PM
Quantum

Nano
And there goes C2C both on the "science," paranormal, and new-agey side. Nothing will be left except, maybe, "health," though I think nano has been used by those hucksters also.

Uncle Duke

"Reach/reached out"

"So"....when used to start a sentence, especially when answering a question.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 10, 2017, 07:43:35 PM
"So"....when used to start a sentence, especially when answering a question.

As long as it's followed by a comma it's a suitable substitute for therefore.  ;)

Rix Gins

"Guys"...when a bunch of the people being addressed are girls.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 10, 2017, 08:44:35 PM
"Guys"...when a bunch of the people being addressed are girls.

Yeah but I understand it. It comes from the paralysis most cis gendered men feel in regard to proper pronouns these days so we just say Fuck it! Everyone's a guy now. Because most of us have more important things to get on with.  ;)

Zetaspeak

"No disrespect, but"....... pretty certain somebody is about to get disrespected  ;D

Gd5150

No one addressed as a “game changer” is ever a game changer. Now let’s “rock n roll”.