• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Reality Forums

Started by Marc.Knight, March 18, 2013, 02:00:56 PM

Marc.Knight

So, does anyone know of any forums where the participants use their real names?  How much would this reduce or enhance one's ability to speak their mind?  Would it make a better or worse experience?
Sometimes I feel like forum "handles" are too much like the days of 1970's CB.  10-4 Rubber Duck.

onan

Quote from: Marc knight on March 18, 2013, 02:00:56 PM
So, does anyone know of any forums where the participants use their real names?  How much would this reduce or enhance one's ability to speak their mind?  Would it make a better or worse experience?
Sometimes I feel like forum "handles" are too much like the days of 1970's CB.  10-4 Rubber Duck.

Blizzard forums to require real names
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/blizzard-forums-to-require-real-names

and then:

Blizzard backs off real-name forum mandate
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20010198-1.html

None that I am aware of... just noticed fox news had some story about China requiring real names... didn't read further.

analog kid

Fox's website removed anonymous posting because the commenters are hateful and foulmouthed. It's being discussed by other major news organizations regarding their online commenting systems as it's become a problem for everyone anymore. Forum software hasn't traditionally come with a real name option and it's a bad idea in this age IMO. Employers can already get a portfolio of your online activity and you don't want to give them a trail of every 3AM drunken rant you've ever typed on the internet.

Juan

I'm on some forums where I would not mind using my real name.  However, my real name is so common across the English-speaking world, all forms of it are already taken.

Pragmier

Quote from: analog kid on March 18, 2013, 03:28:55 PM
Employers can already get a portfolio of your online activity and you don't want to give them a trail of every 3AM drunken rant you've ever typed on the internet.

This would be my main concern. They're already looking at FB, Twitter, your credit and god knows what else.

McPhallus

A couple of corporate places I've worked have had community of practice-type forums where posting is handled via the person's user ID and therefore their real name.  Of course, forums like those had nothing remotely political or controversial.

Other than that , not really, except FB comments.  Having your real name on something is just too risky, with employers doing web searches these days. 

I remember hearing about candidate for judge once having forum posts dug up and presented as a potential issue, but I doubt most employers really go far further than professional history (unless they want to work for a Hal 9000 or something).

Quote from: Marc knight on March 18, 2013, 02:00:56 PM

analog kid

Quote from: McPhallus on March 18, 2013, 03:58:52 PM
I remember hearing about candidate for judge once having forum posts dug up and presented as a potential issue, but I doubt most employers really go far further than professional history (unless they want to work for a Hal 9000 or something).

Employers mining applicants' facebook accounts and doing background checks through the internet has been in the news a lot the past four years or so. There's been some laws passed to fight the practice, and some apps have been made for it, like "facewash," with the purpose of scrubbing your facebook account of bad language. And there's an industry of data brokers who compile and provide these profiles.