• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Strange Relationships

Started by Marc.Knight, February 19, 2013, 12:47:13 PM

CrabbyOld Bat

What kind of accent does Snorge have?

I know I've never heard anything like it.

HAL 9000

I LOVE the show Justified - I think they have everything spot-on. Accents, mannerisms, "sayings" - my mom was raised up in the hollers, and Justified sounds just like my mom's side of the family. Raylan Givens, Deputy U.S. Marshall - the coolest lawman in America.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: HAL 9000 on February 19, 2013, 09:48:58 PM
Wow, Marc. Can't make a post around here anymore without someone "pounding their pud" as it were.

I'm sorry HAL, were you being amusing? I wish you'd put cue 'laugh' icons up or something. It's difficult sometimes.
As I looked at all the pics, and read more about them, it just seems obvious to an average person with common sense that there is some degree of pathology happening here.

Brilliant! So says the man who has a BBC newsreader as his avatar (That has to be a downer for Sarah  :-\ ) , and posted the photo of an ex member against TOS (damn!) and bombarded that same member with what they knew of them in PM. Of course it was one big misunderstanding, and you clarified everything by posting a thread reminding everyone else what they should and shouldn't do about trolls, even though by yoiur own admission you demonstrated your own pathalogical issues; there was only one person named by MV in the locked thread...Hmm...I wonder who that was? Your patronising, hypocritical cognitive disconnect seems to have a loop, try and break it and function like a human. 

But then again, for those for whom anything goes, who knows - maybe they have lots of cute little babies and live happily ever-after.

If that was a side swipe at me asshole, then show me in the thread where I said I was happy that anything goes? It's fortunate that the self appointed protectors of all that is good and righteous on here, are themselves living in perfect relationships, have a perfect nuclear family, live in perfect worlds with a perfect life...Oh hang on...they don't, some have substance abuse and alcohol dependency problems, live in or have lived in abusive relationships, been raped themselves, or just generally had a bum deal..Perfect!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: CrabbyOld Bat on February 20, 2013, 01:50:33 AM
What kind of accent does Snorge have?

I know I've never heard anything like it.
The village of Moronica. The Stupidia section. Very distinct.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: coaster on February 19, 2013, 10:20:16 PM
I can understand why Pud thinks its acceptable, and it is. Nothing wrong with an age difference. I didn't say anything about him being a pervert, but its quite obvious hes taking advantage of her. Those Olson girls have been messed up since the Tanner days, and hes holding on to her in a very possessive manner in those pictures.

You say it's obvious he's taking advantage of her; prove it..based on three photos? Or do you have an established, meaningful friendly relationship with either/both parties? I have friends I've known over twenty years and know jack about their intimate relationships; I was only informed one of them had been married ten years a few months ago. They only wanted a quiet wedding and had only two witnesses literally dragged off the street. No-one knows about anyone else fully..so the chances of a bunch of lonely guys on threads discussing Coast to Coast knowing more than fuck all about a couple they've never even met is remote. Why has no-one blamed the media for hyping things or being disingenuous in their reportage? Answer; it suits the pre conceived opinion to ignore it.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2013, 11:39:36 PM
         It's gotta be his British accent. Has to be!  >:(

This isn't a dig at you Eddie; but why do Americans say 'British accent'? We have three countries and the principality of Wales. All come under Britain. In my county that ranges north to south about 200 miles and east to west about 50..there are dozens of accents..In Sheffield there is a distinct difference between those born and brought up in the north and south of the same city. 60 miles to the north east at York, the accent is a lot flatter..From there, go west about 20 miles to Leeds and that's totally different..Bradford is next to Leeds and again, has a different accent..

In surveys the most attractive accents are said to be Irish, soft Scottish (Huge differences in Scotland), North eastern England, Yorkshire, Wiltshire...The least attractive are the west Midlands, particularly Birmingham..in one survey it was said that the Birmingham accent was deemed to show someone less able to speak than someone who was mute!
Russel Brand is from the London area, and again, a few miles outside to the east it changes quite noticeably. Personally I can't stand the estuary whine that women in Kent and Essex have.

stevesh

Quote from: HAL 9000 on February 19, 2013, 11:35:40 PM
CAUTION: Adult language ahead.

Hilarious... but...

You watched Scooby Doo, hubby watched Transformers... I watched Felix the Cat and Rocky & Bullwinkle. What the fuck does that make me... Galileo?

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

Beanie and Cecil for me, so count your blessings.

stevesh

Quote from: BigDave on February 20, 2013, 12:25:49 AM

Some of the most twangy Southern accents that I've heard were from people from Virginia

Former NASCAR driver Ward Burton was from Virginia and it was almost impossible to understand what he was saying in interviews. Not so his brother Jeff, though.

I've always thought an American southern accent was charming coming from a woman, but made men sound like morons. No offense.

coaster

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 20, 2013, 02:57:07 AM

You say it's obvious he's taking advantage of her; prove it..based on three photos? Or do you have an established, meaningful friendly relationship with either/both parties? I have friends I've known over twenty years and know jack about their intimate relationships; I was only informed one of them had been married ten years a few months ago. They only wanted a quiet wedding and had only two witnesses literally dragged off the street. No-one knows about anyone else fully..so the chances of a bunch of lonely guys on threads discussing Coast to Coast knowing more than fuck all about a couple they've never even met is remote. Why has no-one blamed the media for hyping things or being disingenuous in their reportage? Answer; it suits the pre conceived opinion to ignore it.
let it go. if thats your thing, so be it. im over it.

Juan

Quote from: Sardondi on February 20, 2013, 01:27:53 AM
For one thing they're completely ignorant of the broad variety of accents in the South. (I'm going to be interested in looking at the link to see if it follows up on this). And they totally miss that Southern speech patterns were every bot as much a result of class and culture as the varieties found in Britain.
When Jimmy Carter first ran for president, a lot of people looked at Georgia for the first time.  A linguistics professor studied the state and found seven distinct accents in Georgia alone.  While TV, radio and folks moving around the country have softened regional accents, I can still tell where in the southeast a lot of people are from by listening to them. 

I've mentioned Neal Boortz - Belinda Skelton, his former producer, has a classic North Georgia accent -from the mountains north of Atlanta.  Someone from Macon or Savannah or Albany (All-benny) sounds completely different to me.

Marc.Knight

Why is there always one unmitigated self-righteous poster eager to appoint themselves official Forum Agitator?  When one falls down another one comes out to replace them.  Yes, it is annoying.  'Nuff said.

analog kid

Quote from: coaster on February 20, 2013, 12:05:47 AM
That has got to be the case. Do English women swoon over men with American accents? This confuses me. Would a southern drawl sound different than say, a bostonian accent to an English woman? drunken minds need to know.

I hear that British people generally consider the texan twang as the default American accent. Heard that a number of times -- that there's Texas, and some other minor cultures scattered about. Have never once heard of any English women fancying our accents.

What's bad to me is when Hollywood tries to do the Louisiana accent. They sound like plantation era aristocrats. "Bring me my ice watuh and my sugud wafus."

Marc.Knight

We need to rename this thread "Strange Accents".

Sardondi

Quote from: UFO Fill on February 20, 2013, 06:23:50 AM
....I've mentioned Neal Boortz - Belinda Skelton, his former producer, has a classic North Georgia accent -from the mountains north of Atlanta.  Someone from Macon or Savannah or Albany (All-benny) sounds completely different to me.

That's a great example. The Appalachian hard r of North Georgia and the softer r of South Georgia are completely different sounds, but less than 250 miles from each other.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Pragmier on February 19, 2013, 03:31:41 PM
Think they have father figure issues? Her sister was the one who dated Armstrong when she was 21 and he was 36.

For a start, 21 and 36 is not unusual, or remarkable, imho,  but in any case, you're forgetting that with Hollywood people and rich people, anything goes. They enjoy a latitude and a tolerance by society which the rest of us don't, and frankly I'm jealous. :-0

onan

Most issues are contextual. It wasn't uncommon for marriages to be arranged between 7 year old girls and young males from another family, even in this country more than 100 years ago... not today. And I believe that is still practiced in some countries.
That being said, there is a difference between wanting that and some latitude to date someone younger. But if  anyone in the context of today in the USA thinks bedding a 14 year old is ok... well it isn't.

BigDave

Quote from: onan on February 20, 2013, 12:52:17 PM
Most issues are contextual. It wasn't uncommon for marriages to be arranged between 7 year old girls and young males from another family, even in this country more than 100 years ago... not today. And I believe that is still practiced in some countries.
That being said, there is a difference between wanting that and some latitude to date someone younger. But if  anyone in the context of today in the USA thinks bedding a 14 year old is ok... well it isn't.

In Saudi Arabia and Yemen a daughter can be married off at 11 years old :o

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Sardondi on February 20, 2013, 07:47:46 AM
That's a great example. The Appalachian hard r of North Georgia and the softer r of South Georgia are completely different sounds, but less than 250 miles from each other.
For example... the "r" in "warsh":  "go warsh yer hands".
and the "r" in "holler":  "go fetch yer Pah down in the holler".

Marc.Knight

Quote from: BigDave on February 20, 2013, 12:54:23 PM

...and stoned to death by a religious mob at 12 years old.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Marc knight on February 20, 2013, 01:02:34 PM...and stoned to death by a religious mob at 12 years old.

And let's not forget stabbed to death by her own father in an "honor killing."

Foodlion

Who cares about age. It's legal, they are happy, I'd say let them be.
My step mom is my age, and I don't see anything wrong with that either.

Your life shouldn't be bound by the year you were born... even though I do think the newest generation is bound for failure...

ItsOver

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 20, 2013, 02:50:14 AM
        The village of Moronica. The Stupidia section. Very distinct.

Yes, and Jorge is the Moronika village idiot.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on February 19, 2013, 03:11:38 PM
I will then salute him as he unceremoniously thrusts himself into that boney anorexic corpse he's banging.

this. 

i find the olsen twins physically repulsive.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: BigDave on February 20, 2013, 12:54:23 PM

my wife's grandmother in morocco was married at 11 or 12.  she was still playing outside when she was married, and her husband would routinely have to go get her and bring her in.

Foodlion

Quote from: MV on March 03, 2013, 12:11:21 AM

my wife's grandmother in morocco was married at 11 or 12.  she was still playing outside when she was married, and her husband would routinely have to go get her and bring her in.

Yet in America some people find other countrie's traditions "disgusting" and prefer our own of "getting married out of college and divorcing after 3 kids, and a judge ordering half a mans wage to child support" tradition satisfying.

Give up something, and adopt an even worse deal. Only in America.

That's why I think love shouldn't be text book defined. Let them love birds keep on loving, and let no man or women tell them they are right or wrong cause it's been done time and time again in 3rd world countries, and they seem to be a lot more happy than we are before the USA Moral police took over the law books. Nuff said.

onan

Quote from: Foodlion on March 03, 2013, 08:08:54 AM
Yet in America some people find other countrie's traditions "disgusting" and prefer our own of "getting married out of college and divorcing after 3 kids, and a judge ordering half a mans wage to child support" tradition satisfying.

Give up something, and adopt an even worse deal. Only in America.

That's why I think love shouldn't be text book defined. Let them love birds keep on loving, and let no man or women tell them they are right or wrong cause it's been done time and time again in 3rd world countries, and they seem to be a lot more happy than we are before the USA Moral police took over the law books. Nuff said.

I think you have it wrong here. If anything relationships have little to define them. Other than whatever feels good at the moment must be right. What we as a culture do in this country is let impulse rule. There is little reward for developing strong friendships, even less recognition for denying material for emotional rewards. More realistically we need a much stronger defining of what relationships are instead of the sophomoric just let it be and it will be ok, cuz that shit doesn't work.

As to how happy others are in another culture... very easy to make that suggestion but there is no measure to use to verify your position.

Juan

Another sign of our prolonged adolescence. 

Harmness

Quote from: UFO Fill on March 03, 2013, 08:29:13 AM
Another sign of our prolonged adolescence.

I know you are, but what am I?

The General

Quote from: MV on March 03, 2013, 12:11:21 AM

Get them young and raise them up right.  Hey, it works for some people.
I do not advocate going after women under 18. 
But upon that 18th birthday, fair game.

Or you could wait until they've been through college and slept with all their sorority sisters or better yet all those random hookups with guys they didn't even know the names of.  You can wait til the university teaches them that God is dead and that moral relativism is the way of the future.  You can wait til she's 27 and has a master's degree in 'Women's Studies' and has absolutely no desire to have children or please a man.  Why not just wait til she views men as an enemy to be conquered?  At least get to them before the shoe fetish kicks in.

Just the way I see it.  Women's liberation has really done a number on this country.