• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

gabrielle

wonder if Neil Young would volunteer some free music bits...."this note's for you" and all that.

CornyCrow

Quote from: chefist on June 16, 2015, 11:28:48 AM
https://youtu.be/qdonhXniUmU

Another good promo....
Ha!  He looks like he's peering into a women's changing room at a resort. (sorry)

scottydawg

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on June 16, 2015, 03:22:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF2o5RDkq9A

Royalty free.
Oh Great, Thanx! Now I be walkin like a Pirate, "Arr Matey, send that wennch down to Me Cabin!" ;D

Oh, what's that I hear? there was music playin' Matey? And she was singin' sumthin? Sorry, all the blood was racin' down to me pegleg!"

WOTR

Quote from: Bad Grandma on June 16, 2015, 03:51:17 AM
Payment after services rendered, dipshit, not hard to comprehend. Past history sets the precedent (X3).
Somebody with a better grasp of the history of C2C may have to fix the dates- but Bell showed up night after night from around 1980 until 2003.  Unlike Dave, he did not make it sound like he was doing his audience a favour when he would show up on Thanksgiving- he did not imply that he was there for the lonely looser with no close family or friends.

Then he returned and did a number of years with Coast- but you could hear in his voice that things were no longer "good."  I could be wrong, but screening his calls seemed to have been the last straw.  After that was a brief stint with XM (the third "retirement" that you allude to.)  Yes, it was too brief- but whatever... The man had already provided thousands of shows.

If we are talking track record, lets take more than just XM into consideration- let's take thousands and thousands of shows amounting to tens of thousands of hours of recorded material into account.  Lets take his ground breaking technological innovations with chat, video, subscriber news letters and all of the rest into consideration.

Let's also factor in the tens of thousands of hours of research, reading and show prep that went into his shows and the quality of the product.  Finally, he has spent his money, time and effort to bring us this latest venture.  Yes, one day health (or other factors) may force his retirement such as music licence changes.  If I have paid for a few months of content that cannot be delivered, I will just consider it a final gift to say "thanks for the decades."

Cwn Annwn

Quote from: Jorch Einstein on June 16, 2015, 04:13:51 PM
I think Art should only play Japanese noise on his new show. I heard Jorch slip this one in on Coast the other night, between Dancing Queen and Elvis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n8Cks7SA3I

I like this idea a whole lot.

Art Bell

Quote from: PathoJen on June 16, 2015, 01:58:53 PM
Art
Will you derive any income or benefit financially from the affiliates? Since affiliates are the "big business" so to speak, perhaps they should foot the bill somehow then the rest of us poor slobs can reap the benefits. In other words, can you make affiliates pay for the show? Like Coaster, I know nothing about the business, but I'm just throwing out ideas.

I really think I'm onto something here

NO, however if we get enough of them that will make our 6 minutes of commercials more valuable.

Art

Queen

Quote from: Art Bell on June 16, 2015, 01:36:45 PM
It's all about the music, I don't want to get into this debate again but if shows like mine are going to make the jump to the "new media" there has to be a way to survive the cost of the music. It is in the music industry's interest to make it so, if not they shoot themselves in the foot, However History is full of examples of self inflicted financial suicide so don't rule it out.

Art

Just wondering since you was in the radio business, if I or someone on the forum wanted to buy all the rights to your old shows how much would you ballpark guess it would cost?  Im not in the industry never have been so for us outsiders im sure alot of us would like to know how it all works.

jazmunda

The GabCast will be live tonight Tue. June 16, 2015 @ 7pm PT/10pm EST (immediately following a LIVE Spec Sheet @ 5pm PT/8pm EST) .

Join hosts eddie dean, (redacted), onan and jazmunda.

Listen and Chat LIVE http://ufoship.com/chat/

Call the show: 623-242-CAST(2278)

Skype call: The.GabCast

Contact GabCast by email: thegabcastemail@gmail.com

You can follow GabCast on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thegabcast

Twitter: @TheGabCast

Tonights controversial word: Chunga.

PathoJen

Quote from: Art Bell on June 16, 2015, 05:06:06 PM
NO, however if we get enough of them that will make our 6 minutes of commercials more valuable.

Art
More valuable to who though?

WOTR

Quote from: Art Bell on June 16, 2015, 01:36:45 PM
It's all about the music, I don't want to get into this debate again but if shows like mine are going to make the jump to the "new media" there has to be a way to survive the cost of the music. It is in the music industry's interest to make it so, if not they shoot themselves in the foot, However History is full of examples of self inflicted financial suicide so don't rule it out.

Art
Without opening up the debate, would it be possible to be a trail blazer and take one of the associations with you?  If ASCAP has the best music catalogue, talk with them directly to see what can be worked out.  You have the name recognition and history that might interest them if they ever want to make a jump to internet shows like yours.

If they gave you access to their catalog, and in exchange, you promised to play a 3 or 4 minute song of their choosing each night (the crap, garbage, vanilla junk that they try so hard to push) it would almost amount to a 4 minute commercial slot with you.  I know things like this are a compromise (you would not, at first, get access to all of the recorded songs- just one association, and more "commercial" time than you wanted).  Maybe talking directly with one of them would bring results that you could live with and give them something of value in exchange (as far as I'm concerned, your giving their music exposure should be all the thanks they should require...)

Art Bell

Quote from: Étouffée on June 16, 2015, 04:15:48 PM
Art gets nervous before a show.  A Big show is coming 7/20.  This is Art being Big Nervous.  It is normal.  Once that first word is spoken on the first Midnight in the Desert, all will be copacetic.

Oh man, you are right about that. It's killing me. The wait is torture, I have always had panic attacks before shows and this is the Momma of them all, it's the wait and the big buildup that's killing me. Only good thing, it goes away when I fall into what I do, also it is giving me time to perfect the Studio. I just got  a London phone number.

Art

FortRock

RELAX EVERYONE IS READY TO ANSWER THE QUESTION, "WANNA TAKE A RIDE"?

THIS IS THE RIDE DAVE TWINKLETOES IS HEADED FOR!

WOTR

The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that I should patent the idea of trading music for commercial space on the internet.  Music companies that are completely failing and financial disasters could, conceivably become bigger than Google.

If they outright refuse to licence music for fees to people, but demand one minute of commercial time per hour of broadcast they could sell that minute.  They would have exact numbers of listeners (unlike terrestrial stations) and know the demographics to target advertising.  They could tell "rockstar energy drinks" that they can guarantee an audience of 25 million mentally challenged, 18 - 35 year old males by advertising on Joe Rogans show.

That kind of targeting and guaranteed audience numbers is what companies pay google big bucks for- and ASCAP and the others would have some serious clout by refusing any other method of gaining access to their catalogues.  They would probably be able to pay their members and artists more, earn more, and become even more Mafia-like than they presently are...

It would be a complete shift in their business model (so I'm sure they would never consider it)  In short, they would shift away from relience on music and worrying as much about pirating and bring in a completely new revenue stream as the biggest and most targeted re seller of advertising space in America...  It could actually be a gold mine in the era of "know your customer and sell advertising to them."

***I will allow Art and one association free use of this model.  For everybody else, I will start with charging a royalty rate of 1 cent per minute of advertising resold... ;D

akwilly

Quote from: wotr1 on June 16, 2015, 05:26:07 PM
The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that I should patent the idea of trading music for commercial space on the internet.  Music companies that are completely failing and financial disasters could, conceivably become bigger than Google.

If they outright refuse to licence music for fees to people, but demand one minute of commercial time per hour of broadcast they could sell that minute.  They would have exact numbers of listeners (unlike terrestrial stations) and know the demographics to target advertising.  They could tell "rockstar energy drinks" that they can guarantee an audience of 25 million mentally challenged, 18 - 35 year old males by advertising on Joe Rogans show.

That kind of targeting and guaranteed audience numbers is what companies pay google big bucks for- and ASCAP and the others would have some serious clout by refusing any other method of gaining access to their catalogues.  They would probably be able to pay their members and artists more, earn more, and become even more Mafia-like than they presently are...

It would be a complete shift in their business model (so I'm sure they would never consider it)  In short, they would shift away from relience on music and worrying as much about pirating and bring in a completely new revenue stream as the biggest and most targeted re seller of advertising space in America...  It could actually be a gold mine in the era of "know your customer and sell advertising to them."
Ya that does make allot of sense. You would be rich if you could pattent the idea

Engineer55

Quote from: MV on June 16, 2015, 01:06:54 AM
During that debate, I only spoke in truths and wisdom nuggets.

Not "violent torpedoes of truth" we hope?!?!?  Those were not received well by most of America!!   And it's good you're dispensing *wisdom* nuggets - *news nuggets* are already trademarked / copyrighted and spoken for.   ;)

WhiteCrow

Quote from: jazmunda on June 16, 2015, 04:23:32 AM
Can anyone help me locate a clip? Anyone know a date of a show where Art mentions that if Aliens landed they'd be pumped full of lead before they stepped off the ship. He said it many times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bump...

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but just heard that last night or night before.
Problem was, I switching around between different steams of old shows.

Could it of been said on the Dark Matter show with Seth Shostak September ?? 2013?

lasertron

Quote from: Art Bell on June 16, 2015, 05:15:22 PM
Oh man, you are right about that. It's killing me. The wait is torture, I have always had panic attacks before shows and this is the Momma of them all, it's the wait and the big buildup that's killing me. Only good thing, it goes away when I fall into what I do, also it is giving me time to perfect the Studio. I just got  a London phone number.

Art

I remember reading about the panic attacks in The Art of Talk. Are they coming back? You've got this! It's all part of the process!

jazmunda

Quote from: WhiteCrow on June 16, 2015, 05:43:38 PM
Bump...

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but just heard that last night or night before.
Problem was, I switching around between different steams of old shows.

Could it of been said on the Dark Matter show with Seth Shostak September 24, 2013?

He has said it many many times over the years. Thanks I'll put it on in the background at work.

jazmunda

I see Art has added a call in phone number for callers from the UK. Where's the Australia Line? aka the Jazmunda Line. :P

http://artbell.com/art-bells-new-show-faq/

WhiteCrow

Quote from: jazmunda on June 16, 2015, 05:48:09 PM
He has said it many many times over the years. Thanks I'll put it on in the background at work.

Yes I heard it a few times too. PM me if you find it. I'll try to play a few other old shows later tonight that maybe possibilities.

jazmunda

Quote from: WhiteCrow on June 16, 2015, 05:55:39 PM
Yes I heard it a few times too. PM me if you find it. I'll try to play a few other old shows later tonight that maybe possibilities.

Thanks mate. I appreciated the help. Isn't it nice using your powers for good instead of evil. :P

WhiteCrow

Quote from: WhiteCrow on June 16, 2015, 05:55:39 PM

I don't have a list of shows with guests. The dialog was about if Allens were good or bad? They talked about why popular culture depicts Aliens as "Greys" I think it was Seth who made a point, that it was a Hollywood movie shortcut.

Is there on the net a list complete list of Art shows with guests,? I have a few others that I can check out too.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: jazmunda on June 16, 2015, 05:57:21 PM
Thanks mate. I appreciated the help. Isn't it nice using your powers for good instead of evil. :P

No!   

raistlin

Quote from: Art Bell on June 15, 2015, 08:36:49 PM
Ok I have a question for the group, of course we will begin with a live stream as promised BUT if it gets to big to fast we will be faced with a impossible situation perhaps very quickly, I refer to our music which I must have. There are two possible solutions both are tough. If we get past a point where about 70,000 are listening live and not enough people choose to order the Podcast we can either limit Bandwidth which will piss people off or start charging everybody who wants to listen five bucks a Month unless we do one of those things we will go broke pretty quickly. Opinions please???

Could be a moot point if we start small, nobody knows.

Art

This goes back to my last post.  I don't understand why you didn't do a kickstarter / gofundme to gauge interest BEFORE investing.  That way you're not scrambling looking for a plan B because you already have the funds you need to stay afloat.  Yes it's difficult to know exactly how much you'll need, but it sounds like you at least have a reasonable idea based on a projected listener base. 

That being said, hell do one now...  You need to know you'll be able to cover the costs.  Maybe the $1000 tier will grant us a 30min phone call with the man from the Kingdom of Nye. =) Believe me your fans understand that while the show itself will be totally FREE, you'll still need help with covering the cost for everything.  We could do a media blitz for it and make it hugely successful!!

ge30542

Art, I say make the fee ten bucks monthly, I'd gladly pay.
Also, could one go to the "listen live" link on the webpage of one of the terrestrial affiliates, AND hear the show WITH music?

ge30542

I like the mention of Keith Rowlands PayPal account link.
I'll be inclined to visit it periodically, maybe monthly every time I have an extra twenty bucks.

WOTR

Quote from: ge30542 on June 16, 2015, 08:01:43 PM
Art, I say make the fee ten bucks monthly, I'd gladly pay.
Also, could one go to the "listen live" link on the webpage of one of the terrestrial affiliates, AND hear the show WITH music?
From the affiliate page of MITD
3. You must have your own blanket licensing for commercial music in your country. We cannot allow relay streaming of our show, as that will incur additional music licensing cost. You won’t be covered by our license. If you’re streaming to the Internet you must turn it off during our broadcast.

Zenman

Fun show, but I have to admit that things seemed a bit off kilter with all the callers and none of the hosts being drunk, lol.