• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 10, 2016, 05:38:15 PM
I see Bud Lite has adopted the Mrs. Winslow bottle design.

Further proof that there are no coincidences! 

How the heck did you find that?

Rix Gins

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 11, 2016, 01:44:49 AM
Further proof that there are no coincidences! 

How the heck did you find that?

You gave me the idea.  Your post about the tonic made me check out old adverts , bottles, etc.  Then I saw a Bud Light commercial during the Packers game and noticed the packaging similarity.  That's all there was to it.  lol

Rix Gins

Strange to think that in another 31 years, somebody (hopefully from this forum) will note that David Bowie was born a hundred years ago. (On the 8th.)

K_Dubb

It was cold here, and Prohibition claimed its first victims.

Rix Gins

This French actor was born 100 years ago, today. 

Bernard Blier (1916â€"1989)

K_Dubb

This photograph of a snowy Seattle, though probably from the big storm that hit in February 1916, is one of the most evocative I've seen of that era.  God I wish I could walk down that street in stout boots, fur-trimmed overcoat, and bowler hat!  I'd probably have an elegant, upturned moustache, too.

You can see the Bon Marché sign on the right, one of downtown's great department stores.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 11, 2016, 03:28:37 PM
This photograph of a snowy Seattle, though probably from the big storm that hit in February 1916, is one of the most evocative I've seen of that era.  God I wish I could walk down that street in stout boots, fur-trimmed overcoat, and bowler hat!  I'd probably have an elegant, upturned moustache, too.

You can see the Bon Marché sign on the right, one of downtown's great department stores.

I was intrigued by the brightly lit sign to the left; "Boston Dentists."  Thought it might have been a franchise of sorts but all the Boston Dentists I could find were all dentists from Boston.  I would like to know if people trusted Boston dentists more than any other city.  And here's a question that I doubt can be answered...were those dentists really from Boston?

trostol

cool pic...reminds me of its a wonderful life

trostol

Death
January 11 â€" Takashima Tomonosuke, Japanese general

Jan 11th - French troops capture/Serbian army flees to Corfu

albrecht

That is an awesome storm and pic. I'm told that Seattle doesn't usually get winter weather like that. It doesn't remind me of "Its a Wonderful Life" as someone else mentinoed.

It sucked when Bon Marche got eaten up by Macy's.

Boston Dentists is intriguing. Maybe back then folks still had the idea that technology/medicine was better "back east?"

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on January 11, 2016, 06:04:07 PM
That is an awesome storm and pic. I'm told that Seattle doesn't usually get winter weather like that. It doesn't remind me of "Its a Wonderful Life" as someone else mentinoed.

It sucked when Bon Marche got eaten up by Macy's.

Boston Dentists is intriguing. Maybe back then folks still had the idea that technology/medicine was better "back east?"

Haha yeah I still stubbornly call it the Bon.  And I think you're right about back east, particularly as most of Seattle's residents in 1916 probably came from there.

Here is the modern view of the same street.  It is hard looking at it not to feel that something big has been lost, if you are at all nostalgia-prone like me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6094387,-122.339048,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPjAdwAqMPxdR1J2-s2vXVg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Another view of Boston Dentists in the snow.

I think I have a couple pairs of Stacy Adams shoes, advertised at Nordie's shoe store.  And is that really a dog team in the street?

Wonderful pictures k_dubb!

Not to be left out I tried to rustle up a few from my home town in 1916.    Came across this interesting one:

The K-R-I-T Motor Car Company was based in Detroit and was in business from 1911 to 1916.  Apparently they exported some to England - I think I'd have to splurge some guineas and get the cabriolet.

I looked up the address of the dealership in London and it looks like a watch shop now:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/127+long+acre+london/@51.5124132,-0.1256321,3a,75y,337.96h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m4!1sFgw2GsvWt0EarNoHU3suMA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xa1afa4dafa902474!6m1!1e1

I'll see if I can find where the Krit factory was located back in the D.

bateman

Cool thread. I actually just picked up this book I'd been eyeing for a while: Lost New York

K_Dubb

Some interesting pre-Prohibition signage.  Looks like there were some bargains!

I love the look of that light inside.  Thank God they're open evenings!

It appears some of the liquor comes in little barrels.  How fun!

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 11, 2016, 06:35:25 PM
Wonderful pictures k_dubb!

Not to be left out I tried to rustle up a few from my home town in 1916.    Came across this interesting one:

The K-R-I-T Motor Car Company was based in Detroit and was in business from 1911 to 1916.  Apparently they exported some to England - I think I'd have to splurge some guineas and get the cabriolet.

I looked up the address of the dealership in London and it looks like a watch shop now:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/127+long+acre+london/@51.5124132,-0.1256321,3a,75y,337.96h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m4!1sFgw2GsvWt0EarNoHU3suMA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xa1afa4dafa902474!6m1!1e1

I'll see if I can find where the Krit factory was located back in the D.

Cool!  I'll take the landaulette, as long as it comes with a driver!

I'd always heard the Nazis reversed the direction of the swastika.  Guess not!

The plot thickens.......  Did Ernst Rohm happen to see the K-R-I-T emblem and nab it?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 11, 2016, 06:53:52 PM
The plot thickens.......  Did Ernst Rohm happen to see the K-R-I-T emblem and nab it?

Holy shit!  You may be on to something!

America's first female sex symbol of the silver screen.  I give you Theda Bara who in 1916 was hitting her prime.

That's the sexiest picture that I could find of her.  She really wasn't all that hot and if she had lasted in film she would have gone on to more matronly roles I suspect in very short order.  There were much prettier ladies in the Ziegfeld Follies at the same time but so far none had moved on to the movie business.

Olive Thomas was one of those girls that was mighty fine and ended up modeling for Vargas.  I'd post the famous picture of her by Vargas but it had naughty bits in it.

K_Dubb

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 11, 2016, 06:56:27 PM
America's first female sex symbol of the silver screen.  I give you Theda Bara who in 1916 was hitting her prime.

Wow that practically defines "vamp".  You can sure feel the 1920s coming on.

The Cheat by Cecil B. De Mille was the big hit of late 1915/ early 1916 featuring Fannie Ward  and Sessue Hayakawa in the lead roles.  That's right.  An Oriental playing an Oriental in 1916.  This is one of De Mille's best films and before you dismiss De Mille as a hack, watch this film.  This is an artist at work.

Hayakawa had many starring roles as the lead in the films of the teens and 20's and was quite a sex symbol himself.  Later on, he would show up as a  supporting character in films like Bridge on The River Kwai.

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 11, 2016, 07:00:49 PM
Wow that practically defines "vamp".  You can sure feel the 1920s coming on.

You sure can.  Theda Bara was the woman that was first coined as a vamp. That was her nickname.  The term became popular around this time a 100 years ago mainly due to her and the popularity of a French serial called Les Vampires by Louis Feuillade which was very popular here in the States.  Foreign films were very popular here as all you needed to do in the silent era was change the title cards.  The serial had nothing to do with traditional vampires but a gang who called themselves that whose leader was Irma Vep, the femme fatale and thus a vamp.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 11, 2016, 06:56:27 PM

That's the sexiest picture that I could find of her.  She really wasn't all that hot and if she had lasted in film she would have gone on to more matronly roles I suspect in very short order.  There were much prettier ladies in the Ziegfeld Follies at the same time but so far none had moved on to the movie business.

Thanks for posting this!   This thread keeps getting better and better.............

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 11, 2016, 06:45:16 PM

It appears some of the liquor comes in little barrels.  How fun!
Perfect to hang under the dog team's collar. For rescues, of course. Reminds ne if a tims in which I brought wrong sack. Hiking in Switzerland. Opened up my pack for lunch near north face of Eiger (I didnt climb of course but just hiked to it.) Put wrong bag in backpack. Instead of salami, crackers, n water.....duty-free chocolates and a bottle of brandy! Ha. Actually hike better, though suspect when a storm came in and stupid (now looking back) going solo off trail into glacier tunnels for photos. Ha.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 11, 2016, 06:53:52 PM

Hitler picked out the symbol himself, didn't he?  Maybe it was him that saw a K-R-I-T drive by.  lol

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 11, 2016, 07:44:44 PM
Hitler picked out the symbol himself, didn't he?  Maybe it was him that saw a K-R-I-T drive by.  lol

Can't be coincidence.......  Could make a pretty wild alternative history topic.   Billy Durant adds KRIT
Motors to his stable and keeps the brand viable.   Instead of seeing the Chevy Bow-Tie everyday, we
see the hooked cross while sitting in traffic.

Rix Gins

Anybody care to hazard a guess about what this Japanese cartoon is about?

https://youtu.be/u0KU7QyK8DI

Poked around some more on the K-R-I-T Motor Car Company.   

Lo and behold the factory was located on 1608  East Grand Boulevard in Detroit.    This puts it catty korner from the old
Packard plant [Some buds and I went creeping around the Packard plant after a Tiger game once -what the devil were we thinking?]

Here is an engraving of the exterior of the Krit factory:

and some pictures from the inside:

They turned out some sharp looking rigs:

Here's a google street view of the Packard Plant today:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3784809,-83.0270984,3a,75y,73.86h,87.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa9lAhM6709EvlpCe4zBqrg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Although it looks like there is an effort to redevelop the site.  Hell - maybe we should just stick with Seatlle.

*sigh*