• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

info center?

Started by Marc.Knight, July 26, 2013, 11:53:44 AM

Marc.Knight

MV:

The info center used to list many more recent posts.  What happened?  I know there are other ways to check recent posts (unread topics/replies), but a lot of us use the info center to have immediate access to recent posts.  Please consider restoring it to its larger size.

awguy

Quote from: Marc knight on July 26, 2013, 11:53:44 AM
MV:

The info center used to list many more recent posts.  What happened?  I know there are other ways to check recent posts (unread topics/replies), but a lot of us use the info center to have immediate access to recent posts.  Please consider restoring it to its larger size.

I've wondered about this too... I love the info center.

MV/Liberace!

the recent posts section is actually a resource hog because the system has to render it every single time the main page is loaded. 

the forum is currently running on a $10 per month shared hosting plan from hostgator, which is so cheap it might as well be free.  the next step up is a dedicated server which will cost over $100 per month, so i'm eliminating things that tax the system in an effort to avoid (delay) making that move.  with art's imminent return to radio, i suspect a dedicated server is near.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: MV on July 26, 2013, 01:33:06 PM
the recent posts section is actually a resource hog because the system has to render it every single time the main page is loaded. 

the forum is currently running on a $10 per month shared hosting plan from hostgator, which is so cheap it might as well be free.  the next step up is a dedicated server which will cost over $100 per month, so i'm eliminating things that tax the system in an effort to avoid (delay) making that move.  with art's imminent return to radio, i suspect a dedicated server is near.

Does the info center tax the system in terms of user download speed?  If so, I've never noticed a difference.  To some of us, it is the heart of the forum and an extremely efficient means of checking new posts.  Sorry to be an old nag.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc knight on July 26, 2013, 01:40:02 PM

Does the info center tax the system in terms of user download speed?  If so, I've never noticed a difference.  To some of us, it is the heart of the forum and an extremely efficient means of checking new posts.  Sorry to be an old nag.

it taxes in terms of CPU consumption.  if CPU clock time goes over a certain amount, hostgator begins barking and complaining since this is a shared hosting plan.  but beyond all of that... there are other more efficient (for you and the server) and thorough methods of determining what's been posted.  there's the unread topics link in the menu, and the unread replies link... and also, on the forum's main page, there's a "view the most recent posts on the forum" link.

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on July 26, 2013, 01:33:06 PM

I know you don't like the D word but I am happy to donate to assist in some of the costs in running the site. As you know i run my own site and the ad revenue covers costs but we also receive donations from generous users from time to time and that helps with the costs too.

Anyway, I sure that many others would be happy to contribute.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on July 27, 2013, 02:31:10 AM
I know you don't like the D word but I am happy to donate to assist in some of the costs in running the site. As you know i run my own site and the ad revenue covers costs but we also receive donations from generous users from time to time and that helps with the costs too.

Anyway, I sure that many others would be happy to contribute.

i'll have the donations link (in the menu) working some time next week.

what's your website, by the way?

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on July 27, 2013, 05:20:14 AM

i'll have the donations link (in the menu) working some time next week.

what's your website, by the way?

My website would not be interesting to 99.99999999999% of users on this site which leaves only me.

It is demonland.com which is a fan site for my Australian Rules Football team the once mighty Melbourne Demons.

The majority of my revenue is made through Google Ads but I also offer a subscription (Annual $20 and Lifetime $60) which allows subscribers to view the site without the Ads as well as giving access to the mobile skin when using a smart phone. We also accept donations from those who like to keep on giving or only want to spend $5 or $10. Food for thought for you if you are considering monetizing this site further.

This site must be booming given Art's "imminent" return. It is no surprise that my site's revenue and visitors are more when we lose a match than when we win. We have had such a lousy year this year that business is booming. Also the coach got sacked midway through the year and we had our biggest day ever. Anyway sorry to derails this conversation.

Good luck with coming global superstorm that is about to happen here. I will be donating once the link up top starts working. Thanks for all your hard work. I know what it takes to keep a site like this going and I know the shit you have to put up with.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on July 27, 2013, 07:48:47 AM
demonland.com

ooooh, yeah, now i remember talking to you about that.  kudos to you for owning such an awesome cash machine.