• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

United Breaks Guitars (and Senior citizens.)

Started by WOTR, April 10, 2017, 09:14:23 PM

Up All Night

Doctor who was dragged off United plane needs facial reconstruction surgery after suffering a broken nose, missing front teeth, and concussion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4409434/Dr-Dao-s-lawyer-compares-United-incident-Vietnam-War.html

Up All Night

Officials in Chicago are looking at why the three officers -- all now placed on administrative leave -- were on the plane in the first place,

The officers -- who are unarmed and meant to back up local law enforcement -- were called by airline employees after the passenger, David Dao, refused to give up his seat for crew that needed to be re-positioned for other flights.

But Jeff Redding, who is in charge of safety and security at the Chicago Department of Aviation, which operates O'Hare International Airport, says airport security officers are not supposed to respond to such calls.

"If it is a customer service-related incident, then you don't need to board the plane at all," Redding told a group of Chicago city council members on Thursday.

The official however could not immediately say how his officers were instructed about the use of force.

----------------------------------

The video shows 33 seconds in, the security guards wearing jackets with "Police" on the back. If they weren't Police, then this is another wrinkle for Dao's lawyers to incorporate in their suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dASATLLvGRM

albrecht

This guy is going to get some $ but likely will OD on Oxy and/or get some VD from Grindr hookups, from what I can tell about his weird, sordid past. But the lawyers with their cut will turn out just fine! I also am going to start holding out for more when bumped or overbooked. Saw some article that Delta will pay up to $10K?? And here I sit thinking a free ticket voucher and a hotel, dinner, and another flight the next day was a good deal.  >:(

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on April 15, 2017, 09:47:29 AM
This guy is going to get some $ but likely will OD on Oxy and/or get some VD from Grindr hookups, from what I can tell about his weird, sordid past. But the lawyers with their cut will turn out just fine! I also am going to start holding out for more when bumped or overbooked. Saw some article that Delta will pay up to $10K?? And here I sit thinking a free ticket voucher and a hotel, dinner, and another flight the next day was a good deal.  >:(

Settle for a big Mac with fries and a Coke to go. And be thankful.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on April 15, 2017, 09:57:20 AM
Settle for a big Mac with fries and a Coke to go. And be thankful.

Ah, yes! The voice of authority chimes in. Be honest though. If you could, you'd allow passengers to be poked with cattle prods. If your queen and government says Get off the plane! you just compliantly get off the plane.  :D

albrecht

http://www.khou.com/news/local/bride-and-groom-booted-off-united-flight-in-houston/431644313

I know everyone likes to pile on in attempt to get some $ or just their 15 minutes but the United stories keep coming.

Taaroa

QuoteAn Illinois lawmaker on Monday introduced a bill to ban the forcible removal of travelers from flights by state or local government employees after a United Airlines passenger was dragged from an aircraft last week.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-illinois-airlines-ual-idUSKBN17J1JX

I'm sure such a move couldn't possibly backfire or cause disruptions.  ::)

Up All Night

Looks like American Airlines wants a piece of the action...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4434620/American-Airlines-employee-challenges-passenger-FIGHT.html

The AA employee may be fired....

But, no worries, I think UA will hire him for his above & beyond C/S skills. :)

Up All Night

Another version of what happened, but there is no verifiable link:

From Eric, another customer on the AA flight:

I was on this flight directly across the isle from the woman filming the video. This is what I observed: 1.) woman gets on the plane pushing a car seat type stroller with one child in it, carrying a second child on her hip and dragging behind a very large folded stroller that was too big for the overhead bin or to go under a seat. 2.) the flight attendant shown in the video approached from the back of the plane and informed her in a calm manner that there was nowhere to store the stroller. The woman immediately escalated the situation and within about 30 seconds was screaming at him at the top of her lungs. 3.) the flight attendant evidently decided she was not fit to be on the flight (in my opinion the correct decision) and started to move her and her children towards the front of the plane. 4.) when they got to the from of the plane the woman decided she was not going any further. The flight attendant picked up the stroller and lifted it over his head to try and move past the woman. As he was doing this she pushed him and the stroller fell a bit and struck her in the face. She began crying loudly and dramatically. Shortly after this is where the video begins. 5.) The first class passenger then inserts himself into the drama with his faux chivalry but clearly has no idea what has transpired in the back of the plane since he was in a window seat in the first class section of the plane and could not have viewed the incident from his seat. 6.) after another 10 minutes or so the woman exits the plane only to be returned about 5 minutes later and taken to her seat. We wait another 30-40 minutes while various flight and ground crew come and go speaking to the woman. After about 40 minutes she deplanes again this time telling all of the passengers, who are now becoming vocal in support of the flight crew, that all she wanted was an apology from the flight attendant. Evidently that's what the 40 minute delay was all about. Then we waited another 10 minutes for the ground crew to find and remove her luggage from the belly of the plane. 7.) the flight finally leaves and arrives in Dallas an hour or so late. American representatives are waiting at the gate to speak with the first class passenger who made the threats. What I heard was a very apologetic tone coming from two American employees, as if the airline had done something to upset the first class passenger. 8.) when I entered the bag claim area the first class passenger was right in front of me and as soon as he made it through the revolving door there was a camera crew waiting for him on the other side to interview him. That's about as factual of an account as I can provide and I realize there may be other parts of this story that I do not know about or did not witness. From what I saw: a.) if anyone from American should have been punished it should be the ground crew who somehow letting this woman on board with a full size stroller. The flight attendant was put in a horrible situation by a passenger that most passengers in my immediate area thought seemed unstable. She escalated the situation, not him. b.) in my opinion, the first class passenger should have been removed. Had the flight been in progress he might very well have been arrested upon landing for threatening a crew member. Additionally, he could not have seen any of the back of the plane antics of the woman based on where he was seated. c.) I agree the flight attendant may have reacted too harshly in responding to the threatening customer in first class, but his actions with the woman in question were professional throughout the ordeal. I am disappointed American has chosen to punish him.

Quote from: Up All Night on April 22, 2017, 08:24:52 PM
Another version of what happened, but there is no verifiable link:

From Eric, another customer on the AA flight:

I was on this flight directly across the isle from the woman filming the video. This is what I observed: 1.) woman gets on the plane pushing a car seat type stroller with one child in it, carrying a second child on her hip and dragging behind a very large folded stroller that was too big for the overhead bin or to go under a seat. 2.) the flight attendant shown in the video approached from the back of the plane and informed her in a calm manner that there was nowhere to store the stroller. ...

This and the UA incident should have both been handled before boarding.  If airline employees who ''need'' to board show up at the last minute after the plane is full, they need to find another ride.  If someone - in this case this lady - either needs help or simply has too much stuff, the employees need to take care of it, instead of just letting her through to fend for herself in the tiny airplane aisle.

comaphobe

I used Amtrack last weekend. No guitars were broken, and no concussions were sustained. I feel like I am missing out.

ItsOver

Quote from: comaphobe on April 23, 2017, 03:55:38 AM
I used Amtrack last weekend. No guitars were broken, and no concussions were sustained. I feel like I am missing out.
I'll just stick to my car.  Put it on cruise control, turn on the radio, and relax.  I'm usually in no rush and I don't have to put up with the TSA and cattle car treatment.  Plus, I don't have the additional expense and some jerk trying to sell additional charges for a rental car at the destination. 

comaphobe

Quote from: ItsOver on April 23, 2017, 06:49:53 AM
I'll just stick to my car.  Put it on cruise control, turn on the radio, and relax.  I'm usually in no rush and I don't have to put up with the TSA and cattle car treatment.  Plus, I don't have the additional expense and some jerk trying to sell additional charges for a rental car at the destination.

LOL remember Steve Martin and Edie McClurg in Planes Trains And Automobiles?

I don't have a car anymore. I use Subway or bicyclette for daily commuting or local travel. I live and work on the same street so it works for me. When I go long distance I have to use rail services. I may get another car by the end of the decade, it depends. It's very dense where I live, and parking is an extra $100-200/month. Plus I go through 3-4 bikes a year and replacing those is frustrating enough. I don't want to be replacing glass all the time. My last car was always getting broken windows or keyed to fucking hell when it was parked on the street or in public lot. Plus there is snowplow guy to worry about and my ungentrified neighborhood has tight streets. Snowplow guy doesn't leave a note. Snowplow guy takes the front end right off your car and keeps on going. Snowplow guy ain't paying for that fuckup! Snowplow guy is 5000.

Up All Night

http://www.businessinsider.com/united-airlines-ceo-major-policy-change-dao-2017-4?

Future Changes for United AL:

Deploy android robots so that all Rules are complied with before passengers are allowed to board the plane, and after boarding the plane, and during the flight, for safety concerns.

Introducing Walter

WOTR

Quote from: comaphobe on April 23, 2017, 03:55:38 AM
One of my best travel experiences was aboard the Amtrak coast starlight in a sleeper car.  One attendant on the car seeing to your needs, three meals a day (and not bad quality), an observation car to play crib and board games in while watching America's rugged scenery go by.  A completely unhurried feel to the whole thing. 

I would do it again in a heartbeat, if I had the time and were travelling between cities served...