• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Your Fortune Told Here

Started by Camazotz Automat, September 08, 2016, 10:37:52 AM

We present for your consideration, a whimsical, yet profoundly thought provoking song about a camel, the significance of which will not be lost on regular followers of this thread.

It's thought provoking, because it makes what some might interpret as a puzzling prediction. Puzzling, because it appears to make a cryptic reference, three decades before its discovery, to a famous, and to the deep chagrin of many, an infamous and monumentally misunderstood chemical compound that had a profound impact on human society for good or ill depending on your point of view.

So, without further ado, here's tonight's offering, a little ditty we call, "Ali Baba's Camel." To some it will be an Arabian Nightmare, while others are sure to dig the swinging arrangement, particularly the smoking hot horn parts.

https://youtu.be/WnMH2ZhsmmE

XVII. We are but visitors on this rock, hurtling through time and space at 66,000 miles an hour, tethered to a burning sphere by an invisible force in an unfathomable universe.  This most of us take for granted, while refusing to believe these forces have any more effect on us than a butterfly beating its wings halfway around the world.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 24, 2016, 01:02:32 AM
XVII. We are but visitors on this rock, hurtling through time and space at 66,000 miles an hour, tethered to a burning sphere by an invisible force in an unfathomable universe.  This most of us take for granted, while refusing to believe these forces have any more effect on us than a butterfly beating its wings halfway around the world.

Here's the thing. While I pretty much get gravity and centrifugal force on a primal, pre-monolith monkey brain level that's hard wired into my DNA, as God is my witness, I will never go hungry again or understand how it's possible to stand upright on the side or bottom of an oblate spheroid.

Lilith

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 24, 2016, 01:02:32 AM

I'm constantly aware of this, and confused how anyone cannot be. It confounds me, even though it is true, as you say, that most of us take it for granted.

The above mentioned hurtling, into an ever changing "unknown region" is probably more than most nervous systems can manage I suppose.

Lilith

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 24, 2016, 01:29:28 AM
Here's the thing. While I pretty much get gravity and centrifugal force on a primal, pre-monolith monkey brain level that's hard wired into my DNA, as God is my witness, I will never go hungry again or understand how it's possible to stand upright on the side or bottom of an oblate spheroid.

This is further confounded the the theory that suggests, that perhaps, gravity does not exist.  That perhaps "gravity" is just a word created to define something that cannot be understood with only human senses, and the current limitations of the human mind.

GravitySucks

Quote from: brig on September 25, 2016, 01:19:33 AM
This is further confounded the the theory that suggests, that perhaps, gravity does not exist.  That perhaps "gravity" is just a word created to define something that cannot be understood with only human senses, and the current limitations of the human mind.

<ahem>

pate

Quote from: brig on September 20, 2016, 04:33:28 AM
Does the third line in your avatar start with your name Camazotz Automat?  I can only see "tomat".  ..."tomat was insane" it says.  There is so much of the text missing that I can make no sense of it.

Not to tread lightly in deep water; this year I experimented with container grown tomat.  I found the yield to be less than *a* more grounded and controlled experiment.  The answer in yes/no format could be expressed as +/- or -/+, not that it was a super/supra-lative test environ.

To posit a quest in negative answers would be fruitless, true neutrality is the source of the asking.  This takes a delicate cognizance of both the factors of the questioner and the subject.  Often, if not invariably, the quixotic demands yield the reduced fruits of the dedicated laborer's angst.

There we find that a cigar is not always a cigarette.

Which leads to more searching for the obvious question to the concrete answer.

Must think on this...

edit:  *preview* notes

pate

Quote from: WOTR on September 20, 2016, 07:56:11 PM
a geodesic curve,

hah!  Either that is infinitely regressive or progressive.  The data...

I tread water furiously.

Fumarole!

pate

Without making presumptions, I make the following assumption or assumption (dit for brev):

One number is finite, anything beyond that is unaccountable.

Two numbers are infinite, anything less is addressed; anything more undressed.

Three is inconceivable.

---

What of the negative?

3.  Unknowable (a word?)

2.  The union (a concept?)

1. Self (me?)

Where then is the unknowable zero?  Can it save one?  Is it divisive?  Undefinable?

I digress, sauvant.  The quest is:

Can veracity be found in the proof?

edit: logical fallacy, and shouldn't press buttons without reading the labels, or liable... haha.   No answer required.

akwilly

Quote from: pate on September 25, 2016, 04:54:41 AM
Without making presumptions, I make the following assumption or assumption (dit for brev):

One number is finite, anything beyond that is unaccountable.

Two numbers are infinite, anything less is addressed; anything more undressed.

Three is inconceivable.

---

What of the negative?

3.  Unknowable (a word?)

2.  The union (a concept?)

1. Self (me?)

Where then is the unknowable zero?  Can it save one?  Is it divisive?  Undefinable?

I digress, sauvant.  The quest is:

Can veracity be found in the proof?

edit: logical fallacy, and shouldn't press buttons without reading the labels, or liable... haha.   No answer required.
this post will help me start a cult

Quote from: brig on September 20, 2016, 04:33:28 AM
Does the third line in your avatar start with your name Camazotz Automat?  I can only see "tomat".  ..."tomat was insane" it says.  There is so much of the text missing that I can make no sense of it.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 20, 2016, 07:35:49 PM
An avatar like that comes into being when someone artistically (or self-indulgently) zooms the camera view down onto an ancient typed manuscript left behind by an eccentric great uncle from New York City who wrote weird fiction and was mentioning how the noise level at the HH automat was insane.  Just some of his harmless observation/mood setting, I'm sure.

(Until he started talking about the blue man, of course, and the rest of the weirdness that followed.)

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Nota Bene (in the interest of fairness/clarification to future visitors) -

I was evoking the attached avatar at the time of brig's question:

Lilith

Quote from: pate on September 25, 2016, 04:33:16 AM
Not to tread lightly in deep water; this year I experimented with container grown tomat.  I found the yield to be less than *a* more grounded and controlled experiment.  The answer in yes/no format could be expressed as +/- or -/+, not that it was a super/supra-lative test environ.

To posit a quest in negative answers would be fruitless, true neutrality is the source of the asking.  This takes a delicate cognizance of both the factors of the questioner and the subject.  Often, if not invariably, the quixotic demands yield the reduced fruits of the dedicated laborer's angst.

There we find that a cigar is not always a cigarette.

Which leads to more searching for the obvious question to the concrete answer.

Must think on this...

edit:  *preview* notes

tomat/tomate as +/- or -/+e ...  that's what it's all about?

Quote from: brig on September 25, 2016, 01:19:33 AM

;D

That sounds like one of the primary laws of animation physics, which states that gravity will not act upon a cartoon character until it realizes that it's hovering in mid air.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 26, 2016, 12:18:21 AM
;D

That sounds like one of the primary laws of animation physics, which states that gravity will not act upon a cartoon character until it realizes that it's hovering in mid air.

It still sucks. Especially once one realizes it.

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 26, 2016, 12:20:25 AM
It still sucks. Especially once one realizes it.

That's the only thing I get about it, and since it wouldn't make any difference if I was smarter than Michio Kaku, I'm going to quit wasting valuable drinking time trying to understand it.

Lilith

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 26, 2016, 12:33:13 AM
That's the only thing I get about it, and since it wouldn't make any difference if I was smarter than Michio Kaku, I'm going to quit wasting valuable drinking time trying to understand it.

... ir dye type-een.

XVIII.  A mobile phone goes swimming.  This begins a chain of events which will cast much doubt on your service provider and cause you to question the loyalty of a significant other.  A long-lost item is found, restoring a loss of faith.  When you see the skeleton on sale at the store, buy it.  Your lucky numbers are 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42.

Lilith

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 27, 2016, 06:11:13 PM
XVIII.  A mobile phone goes swimming.  This begins a chain of events which will cast much doubt on your service provider and cause you to question the loyalty of a significant other.  A long-lost item is found, restoring a loss of faith.  When you see the skeleton on sale at the store, buy it.  Your lucky numbers are 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42.

That's the nicest thing anybody has said to my computer all day!

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 27, 2016, 06:11:13 PM
XVIII.  A mobile phone goes swimming.  This begins a chain of events which will cast much doubt on your service provider and cause you to question the loyalty of a significant other.  A long-lost item is found, restoring a loss of faith.

That would make one hell of a Lifetime movie set in Connecticut or Sedona, starring one of the guys who played the brothers on "Wings" and Valerie Bertinelli or the eternally unchanging Susan Lucci, who can still convincingly portray attractive mature women more than half her age.

whoozit

Would you please tell my fortune that I want more?  I've been telling it that but it won't listen.  Thanks.

Quote from: whoozit on September 28, 2016, 07:52:05 AM
Would you please tell my fortune that I want more?  I've been telling it that but it won't listen.  Thanks.

I'm not that kind of messenger.  You need to find yourself a good golden toad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Chan

XX. I want to tell you about tomorrow.

Tomorrow ... tomorrow is going to be different from what anything in the past has been.  Tomorrow is going to be the start of a new and better world for all of us.  In the past, we've had a pretty bad time. We've had warsâ€"so many warsâ€"and famines and pestilences.  We've had depressions and haven't known what caused them, we've had people starving when there was food and dying of diseases for which we knew the cure.  We've seen the wealth of the world wasted shamelessly, the rivers running black with the washed-off soil, while hunger for all of us got surer and nearer every day.  We've suffered, we've had a hard time.

Beginning tomorrow, all that is going to be changed.  There won't be any more wars.  We're going to live side by side like brothers.  We're going to forget about killing and breaking and bombs.  From pole to pole the world will be one great garden, full of richness and fruit, and it will be for all of us to have and use and enjoy.  People will live a long time and live happily, and when they die it will be from old age.  Nobody will be afraid anymore.  For the first time since human beings lived on earth, we're going to live the way human beings should.

The cities will be full of the richness of culture, full of art and music and books.  And every race on earth will contribute to that culture, each in its degree.  We're going to be wiser and happier and richer than any people have ever been.  And pretty soon ... pretty soon we're going to send out rocket ships.

We'll go to Mars and Venus and Jupiter.  We'll go to the limits of our solar system to see what Uranus and Pluto are like.  And maybe from thereâ€"it's possibleâ€"we'll go on and visit the stars.

Tomorrow is going to be the beginning of all that.  That's all for now.  Good-bye.  Good night.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 29, 2016, 05:36:33 PM
XX. I want to tell you about tomorrow.

Tomorrow ... tomorrow is going to be different from what anything in the past has been.  Tomorrow is going to be the start of a new and better world for all of us.  In the past, we've had a pretty bad time. We've had warsâ€"so many warsâ€"and famines and pestilences.  We've had depressions and haven't known what caused them, we've had people starving when there was food and dying of diseases for which we knew the cure.  We've seen the wealth of the world wasted shamelessly, the rivers running black with the washed-off soil, while hunger for all of us got surer and nearer every day.  We've suffered, we've had a hard time.

Beginning tomorrow, all that is going to be changed.  There won't be any more wars.  We're going to live side by side like brothers.  We're going to forget about killing and breaking and bombs.  From pole to pole the world will be one great garden, full of richness and fruit, and it will be for all of us to have and use and enjoy.  People will live a long time and live happily, and when they die it will be from old age.  Nobody will be afraid anymore.  For the first time since human beings lived on earth, we're going to live the way human beings should.

The cities will be full of the richness of culture, full of art and music and books.  And every race on earth will contribute to that culture, each in its degree.  We're going to be wiser and happier and richer than any people have ever been.  And pretty soon ... pretty soon we're going to send out rocket ships.

We'll go to Mars and Venus and Jupiter.  We'll go to the limits of our solar system to see what Uranus and Pluto are like.  And maybe from thereâ€"it's possibleâ€"we'll go on and visit the stars.

Tomorrow is going to be the beginning of all that.  That's all for now.  Good-bye.  Good night.

You are obviously a precocious and well mannered young fellow, but I sense you are troubled. It has to do with the feeling of being overshadowed, through no fault of either of you, by the impressive accomplishments of an older sibling and the great praise he has received for them. Please rest assured that your talents are amply appreciated by those who have the special sight to recognize them.

When you are old enough, I would be honored to treat you to a bottle of of 874-year-old Tranya, as well as a prostitute and a pet bear if the latter two are legal where you live.

Not to be pushy or anything, but it's been a few days since the last prophecy. It's almost time for Festival, and we could use some guidance, Landru.

XXI. Driftwood is of the sea; from her it comes, to her it returns.  The green-haired Ocean Goddess may tire of her plaything for a time and toss it carelessly upon the beach, where it lies for years while the shifting sands cover it and the shell-cased creatures of the sea upon its surface die and crumble into lime-flecked dust.  But, in the end, the sea remembers and comes again in storm and hurricane.  She stretches out her foam-white arms; the sands dissolve; and she takes again what she has cast away.  For the sea never really gives up anything, not even her dead, and they who go down to the sea in ships must be listed, like driftwood, to the credit of the sea.