• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

albrecht

Quote from: Tarbaby on September 30, 2014, 03:29:28 PM
It's spooky that this happens just as the series "THE STRAIN" is on, FX channel. That is about the most disturbing series I can remember. And it Bakely mirrors this Ebola epidemic. In some ways. Albeit supernatural.
"Predictive programming?" Had to be said because one knows conspiracy theories will pop up. I just hope my FEMA camp is as nice as those places we are building for illegals. I demand a flat-screen also.

wr250

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 30, 2014, 03:31:30 PM
You going to cover your house in cling film? Wear NBC suits? Filter all your air? Grow all your own food? Sink a well?

isolate myself from all human contact save bellgab.

Kelt

wr250

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 30, 2014, 03:18:03 PM
What is wrong with you? PANIC!!!!!!! Embrace the headless chicken.

does the chicken have ebola?

paladin1991

Quote from: Tarbaby on September 30, 2014, 03:29:28 PM
It's spooky that this happens just as the series "THE STRAIN" is on, FX channel. That is about the most disturbing series I can remember. And it Bakely mirrors this Ebola epidemic. In some ways. Albeit supernatural.
I'm reading Clancy's 'Rainbow Six.'   Engineered Ebola.

wr250

Quote from: area51drone on September 30, 2014, 03:27:15 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/09/12/346114454/how-do-you-catch-ebola-by-air-sweat-or-water

So let's see... it's not extremely likely that you can get it, but YOU CAN GET IT FROM TOUCHING SWEAT SOMEONE JUST LEFT ON THE DOOR HANDLE IN FRONT OF YOU.   It takes 3 weeks to incubate?   I'd say FUCK is right.  Just because swine flu wasn't a big deal doesn't mean it didn't get around, people probably just didn't know they had it.   It wasn't a big deal because people don't fucking DIE from it very often.   This could kill 30%-50% or more of the people it infects, and it is far nastier than a "bad flu".

Batten down the hatches.   I won't be risking my life because some other dumbass was stupid enough to travel to africa and spread this.

you catch ebola by playing in the bodily fluids of an infected person (saliva is a bodily fluid, if a infected person sneezes in your face you are at risk). and note where disease deaths are highest, are the poorest of the poor. poor nutrition, often starvation. bad water, infested with any number of diseases and parasites. little to no medical care (unless you count the local shamen). all of those factors dramatically increase deaths from any disease. it would not surprise me to  much if ebola was a secondary infection (whether parasitic or pathogenic) in most of the cases.
in the meantime thousands die daily from starvation. and no one cares...

paladin1991

Quote from: wr250 on September 30, 2014, 03:48:16 PM
you catch ebola by playing in the bodily fluids of an infected person (saliva is a bodily fluid, if a infected person sneezes in your face you are at risk). and note where disease deaths are highest, are the poorest of the poor. poor nutrition, often starvation. bad water, infested with any number of diseases and parasites. little to no medical care (unless you count the local shamen). all of those factors dramatically increase deaths from any disease. it would not surprise me to  much if ebola was a secondary infection (whether parasitic or pathogenic) in most of the cases.
I feel better already.

Kelt

We should send Jesse Ventura to kick its ass... in fact send the entire original Predator team into the jungle to fuck Ebola's shit up.

Ventura will be immune to the effects of Ebola as he doesn't have time to bleed.

area51drone

When they tell you not to panic, that's when you should start panicking.

Quote from: wr250 on September 30, 2014, 03:48:16 PM

There you go.  Ebola is God's punishment for poverty stricken illegal immigrants who dare cross the border into his country.

bateman

Quote from: area51drone on September 30, 2014, 03:27:15 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/09/12/346114454/how-do-you-catch-ebola-by-air-sweat-or-water

So let's see... it's not extremely likely that you can get it, but YOU CAN GET IT FROM TOUCHING SWEAT SOMEONE JUST LEFT ON THE DOOR HANDLE IN FRONT OF YOU.   It takes 3 weeks to incubate?   I'd say FUCK is right.  Just because swine flu wasn't a big deal doesn't mean it didn't get around, people probably just didn't know they had it.   It wasn't a big deal because people don't fucking DIE from it very often.   This could kill 30%-50% or more of the people it infects, and it is far nastier than a "bad flu".

Batten down the hatches.   I won't be risking my life because some other dumbass was stupid enough to travel to africa and spread this.

This. And it can live on surfaces for days or even weeks. It was spreading through taxis in Liberia without any person-to-person contact.

Quote“According to a WHO staff member who has been in Liberia for the past several weeks, motorbike-taxis and regular taxis are a hot source of potential Ebola virus transmission, as these vehicles are not disinfected at all, much less before new passengers are taken on board,” WHO said.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/ebola-spreading-exponentially-patients-seek-beds-liberia-n198516

coaster

One person with ebola is one too many.

albrecht

The Press Conference gave out more information than I thought they would. Which is scary as it is. He wouldn't say directly but clearly it wasn't a US citizen but someone "visiting his family" and came in from Liberia. Refused to mention the flight and what airports etc he went through. Also wouldn't say if he stayed in any public facilities, hotels, etc. But some who "came into close contact" with him after exhibiting signs are quarantined. And the deal about the infection process seemed to contradict the CDC's own website and previous material. CDC head during Press Con said a patient can spread the disease "only when exhibiting signs of infection" (being sick) but even CDC's own website even AFTER a patient survives Ebola, in those rare cases, the virus is still found in his semen. So presumably, like HIV/AIDS, it could spread like that to wives or girlfriends or in certain communities if he was of that persuasion. And previous articles made it seem it could spread even though the person wasn't exhibiting symptoms via bodily fluids: blood, spit, mucous, semen, feces, etc. So I question this "changing", or clarification, of threats. Also no mention whatsoever in the precise strain of Ebola this guy has.

wr250

Quote from: bateman on September 30, 2014, 04:17:11 PM
This. And it can live on surfaces for days or even weeks. It was spreading through taxis in Liberia without any person-to-person contact.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/ebola-spreading-exponentially-patients-seek-beds-liberia-n198516
saliva droplets from cough/sneeze are bodily fluids. also the virus can live up to 2 days on a surface not exposed to the sun (uv rays from the sun destroy it).thats at something like 70 degrees. the cooler the temp the longer it lives,until freeezing, i understand it cant survive freezing. however the virus must still enter the body to infect it , it isnt like LSD and absorbed through the skin.  therefore precautions that apply to the flu apply here. handwashing is #1 the top two spreaders of disease are attached to your wrists. plain old soap and water is enough.antibacterial soaps are not effective against viruses. you can carry hand sanitizer as it contains alcohol, which will destroy viruses in the amounts in the sanitizer.   

albrecht

Quote from: wr250 on September 30, 2014, 04:38:06 PM
saliva droplets from cough/sneeze are bodily fluids. also the virus can live up to 2 days on a surface not exposed to the sun (uv rays from the sun destroy it).thats at something like 70 degrees. the cooler the temp the longer it lives,until freeezing, i understand it cant survive freezing. however the virus must still enter the body to infect it , it isnt like LSD and absorbed through the skin.  therefore precautions that apply to the flu apply here. handwashing is #1 the top two spreaders of disease are attached to your wrists. plain old soap and water is enough.antibacterial soaps are not effective against viruses. you can carry hand sanitizer as it contains alcohol, which will destroy viruses in the amounts in the sanitizer.
1) does alcohol used internally help fight infection? Maybe if one maintains a constant B.A.C. at a certain level? Or at least do they make a "nice" version of that alcohol-based sanitizer that is, safely, used internally also- not denatured? Sort of a two-for-one deal. Wash my hands and have a pick-me up at one time? Can jello-shots serve a sanitary purpose?
2) if a hippie gets Ebola will the LSD inside him help morph the virus into something that can now be absorbed through the skin?
Have to have some humor about the situation since this infected "traveler" is in my region....

Tarbaby

I'm writing this down fast as I can. First, remove all doorknobs. Second, do not kiss a cadaver. Third, do not eat semen or excrement. Four, use plenty of soap, or not, not clear on that one. Five, no more taxis.

bateman

Quote from: Tarbaby on September 30, 2014, 08:11:49 PM
Second, do not kiss a cadaver. Third, do not eat semen or excrement.

Pfft, there go my weekend plans.

wr250

Quote from: albrecht on September 30, 2014, 08:00:48 PM
1) does alcohol used internally help fight infection? Maybe if one maintains a constant B.A.C. at a certain level? Or at least do they make a "nice" version of that alcohol-based sanitizer that is, safely, used internally also- not denatured? Sort of a two-for-one deal. Wash my hands and have a pick-me up at one time? Can jello-shots serve a sanitary purpose?
no alcohol depresses the immune system. it also can lead to you getting (someone) pregnant and is a leading factor in getting your ass kicked.
2) if a hippie gets Ebola will the LSD inside him help morph the virus into something that can now be absorbed through the skin?
Have to have some humor about the situation since this infected "traveler" is in my region....

the lsd will only make the virus taste sounds.

nextgen.fm

He would be all over this.

What is it tonight on C2c?

More shit about aliens?

We need to focus.

nextgen.fm

Can someone ask Art to make a fAcebook post about this or something

we need his input

Kelt

It has a high mortality rate in Africa because.. it's fucking Africa.  We don't have to go over their habits and lack of hygiene to know that shit spreads over there because they still believe viruses are actually witches and demons and curses and evil unicorns.

They wait until it's too late to go to a hospital, and when they get there the hospital is already full so they just lay down and die on what passes for the sidewalk in places like Liberia.

I'm fairly typical of a westerner in that I shower every day, wash my hands every time I go to the bathroom, and will bang some hand sanitiser on my hands if I'm pushing a shopping basket around.  I appreciate that there are plenty westerners who will happily take a piss or a shit in a public bathroom then walk out without washing their hands.  I've seen them do it restaurants on a regular basis.  That's primarily going to impact the nasty, skeevy portion of America, and for that I say Bring Ebola To America... kill the nasty, skeevy, no-wash-their-hands-after-taking-a-shit-in-a-public-bathroom sorts.

VtaGeezer

The guy in Dallas actually went to the ER two days earlier and was sent home; he was communicable for at least four days in Dallas.  I hope he stayed home and watched a lot TV.  I wonder what kind of shape he was in when they actually admitted him.   I heard a lot of whistling past the graveyard by MD experts on TV today. Luckily, he was in a major city with the right resources. 

Kelt

Quote from: VtaGeezer on September 30, 2014, 10:39:12 PM
The guy in Dallas actually went to the ER two days earlier and was sent home; he was communicable for at least four days in Dallas.  I hope he stayed home and watched a lot TV.  I wonder what kind of shape he was in when they actually admitted him.   I heard a lot of whistling past the graveyard by MD experts on TV today. Luckily, he was in a major city with the right resources.

Texas?

That's probably the one state Ebola has a good chance of spreading, given the number of Yeeehawans who believe in Demons and evil unicorns.

Still, at least Texas has a first rate medical system that comprehensively covers each and every Texan in the event of an outbreak.. let me just see where Texas ranks...

...47th in access to Emergency Care.  Oh, well, that's not good.

...42nd in Quality Care and Patient Safety.  Oh dear.

...49th in Public Health.  Oopsie.

Well, at least Texas has a high instance of insured citizens.

...32% uninsured. 

Well, at least FEMA has a shit-ton of plastic coffins laying around if Alex Jones is right.  So there's that.

Well, as strange as it may sound, I feel pretty lucky that our African-American-African community is quite small, and thus, have limited exposure to visiting African-Africans. That's not to say that our African-American community does not have ties with the African-American-African community; or have friends and loved that are visiting African-Africans.

VtaGeezer

I AB would insert a "Bring out your dead" somewhere.

nextgen.fm

I can't believe it

I am actually listening to C2C

almost nodded off