• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

indigoo

Is the Icecast platform not limited to a certain number of listeners? The logistics of this proposal are monstrous, I feel.

There's no way it will go as smoothly as he thinks. Not even Twitch can handle huge loads of people viewing streamed content. The League of Legends of DOTA2 streams hit almost 100K viewers and kill the rest of the sites bandwidth at times. Art's dreaming if he thinks he will get a substantial amount of people listening to a stream on his lowly dot com.

Sirius really needs to just invest in a better web app. Flash is dead, they should not be using it at this point. Anyway, it will be interesting to at least see where this is headed. I have my doubts, and have concerns that Art is biting off more than he can chew.

jazmunda

Quote from: bateman on November 01, 2013, 06:16:46 PM
Entirely possible. A tease like that makes for great radio. We've been talking about it for days, and we'll keep talking about it until there's a resolution.

Unfortunately, I don't see Sirius complying with this request. Telling us could be a tactic to use against Sirius in the event they continue to be "uncooperative".

It was my understanding that Sirius have been very co-operative in accommodating Art and his audience. Obviously we don't know about the goings on behind the scenes. Perhaps these errors and complaints from the audience are getting on Art's nerve as people can't listen. Perhaps Sirius aren't being co-operative in fixing or even admitting that there's a problem. The point is none of us know and second guessing isn't helping. We all know shit as evidenced by the way we were blindsided by this announcement when we were expecting extra days and weekend hosts.

It's out of our hands so let's just enjoy the ride whilst we're still on it.

ItsOver

Quote from: jazmunda on November 01, 2013, 06:43:16 PM
...It's out of our hands so let's just enjoy the ride whilst we're still on it.

That's what I'm going to try and do.  Enjoy it while I can.  Our "trophy" radio broadcaster.  ;)

bateman

It was my understanding that Sirius have been very co-operative in accommodating Art and his audience.
It's out of our hands so let's just enjoy the ride whilst we're still on it.

Sounds that way thus far, but I think this request is above & beyond what they're willing to do. Internet only package with Sirius costs what, $5-6 a month? Why would they give up that revenue? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Perhaps these errors and complaints from the audience are getting on Art's nerve as people can't listen.

I'm quite sure they are.

Perhaps Sirius aren't being co-operative in fixing or even admitting that there's a problem.

As is typical in radio engineering depts...

Quote from: bateman on November 01, 2013, 06:52:01 PM
Internet only package with Sirius costs what, $5-6 a month? Why would they give up that revenue? Doesn't make any sense at all.

I think it's closer to $15, isn't it?

jazmunda

I pay $15 a month. Considering my geographical situation I'm not going to press my luck and try to get a better deal. ;)

Having said that I would pay more for Art and as a bonus I get some great other content.

As others have said if Art played the stream for free I would still keep my Sirius subscription for the onDemand, live pause and rewind and to support Art but I'm sure there would be many, many others that would cancel their subs. I just see it as business suicide for Sirius despite the extra people that might hear the advertisements.

Art-

Listener for decades. I must say you like to stir the pot. Please do not leave, this show is a good one and we truly love having you back.  I would propose that you try to get Sirius to allow your show to directly compete with CoasttoCoast by allowing syndication.  Free streaming will not do it.

Also, I had a couple problems early on with the Sirius app but once I learned it I have had zero problems with it on three different phones, my tablet, and my desktop.  I think alot of the streaming issues are not Sirius, but instead ISPs and flaky connections - meaning streaming from the website will not fix them.

georgesucks

I think that Art really wants to quit because he knows that he is really a better host then Noory. I think that he will quit by the end of the year.

Quote from: nika01 on November 01, 2013, 06:09:57 PM
I havent read all the posts here, but quite a number are just plain ill informed. I question why this thread even exists. From what I heard, the "request" seems pretty damn reasonable to me. Here is why it makes sense to give it away for free. Any bozo can download any DM show right now. If S/XM gives it away, they get free adverts. The only people that will want to pay are vehicle based users, and there arent that many relative to the total fan base. Furthermore, Art could just as easily produce his own show on the net with no big daddy sponsor. Seems to me that it is S/XM are the ones that have the most to lose.
One final shot, all the people that imply that Art is flaky/flighty etc..WTF. Look at all that went down. What would you do? Jesus H Christ y'all
You say that others are ill-informed and then you go on to a show absolutely no understanding of how SiriusXM operates as a company. Their Internet Radio offering has become a huge part of what they do. Giving Art's show away for free is antithetical to the entire point of the company's existence. Advertising is an incredibly small part of their revenue streams - it's all about subscribers. Putting Art on for free will NOT garner them new subscirbers, and it very likely won't even be subscriber neutral. There are many people here, on the comments section of Art's Facebook page, and on the comments section of the ArtBell.com Facebook page that have already said they would cancel SiriusXM if they could listen for free.

bateman

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 01, 2013, 06:55:49 PM
I think it's closer to $15, isn't it?

Ahh, my bad, I was thinking of the add on price or something.

Quote from: jazmunda on November 01, 2013, 07:01:30 PM
I just see it as business suicide for Sirius despite the extra people that might hear the advertisements.

If Art's telling us the truth, Sirius is taking a few days to work out the numbers, or they're figuring out the most diplomatic way to say "fuck you."

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on November 01, 2013, 07:04:21 PM
Art-

Listener for decades. I must say you like to stir the pot. Please do not leave, this show is a good one and we truly love having you back.  I would propose that you try to get Sirius to allow your show to directly compete with CoasttoCoast by allowing syndication.  Free streaming will not do it.

Also, I had a couple problems early on with the Sirius app but once I learned it I have had zero problems with it on three different phones, my tablet, and my desktop.  I think alot of the streaming issues are not Sirius, but instead ISPs and flaky connections - meaning streaming from the website will not fix them.
SiriusXM's direct competition is terrestrial radio. While it is unlikely that they will allow Art to stream the show for free, it is 100 percent guaranteed that they will NEVER allow Art's show to be on syndicated terrestrial radio. Never.

ItsOver

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on November 01, 2013, 07:04:21 PM

...Also, I had a couple problems early on with the Sirius app but once I learned it I have had zero problems with it on three different phones, my tablet, and my desktop.  I think alot of the streaming issues are not Sirius, but instead ISPs and flaky connections - meaning streaming from the website will not fix them.

Similar here.  The app's working pretty well on my Android.  The only issue I've noticed is with downloads.  There have been several shows I've downloaded and, for some reason, they start several minutes into the show, instead of from the very beginning of the show.  I'm not sure what that's about. 

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 01, 2013, 07:14:08 PM
SiriusXM's direct competition is terrestrial radio. While it is unlikely that they will allow Art to stream the show for free, it is 100 percent guaranteed that they will NEVER allow Art's show to be on syndicated terrestrial radio. Never.

Art must know this.  It almost seems like a manufactured crisis to provide a basis to exit his contract.  I find it hard to believe that "thousands" of people are getting error messages when they log on to Sirius internet.  I've never had a problem, nor have I heard of others having a problem.  Maybe it is his way of bowing out gracefully.

lonevoice

Quote from: Philosopher on November 01, 2013, 07:31:17 PM

Art must know this.  It almost seems like a manufactured crisis to provide a basis to exit his contract.  I find it hard to believe that "thousands" of people are getting error messages when they log on to Sirius internet.  I've never had a problem, nor have I heard of others having a problem.  Maybe it is his way of bowing out gracefully.
A good gauge for the problem is the live thread here on BellGab, which is why Producer-Paul checks in almost nightly.  There hasn't been a night yet that at least some people aren't reporting problems with the stream dropping, sometimes repeatedly.  There was one night earlier this week that easily better than half the participants in the thread were having frequent problems.  At one point, everyone on the thread was affected and we all got a recorded message from SiriusXM apologizing for the technical problem.   We lost a good 10 minutes of Art's show while this apology message played on a loop.   

EarthAlien007

Geez people...this is NOT the Dark Matter Apocalypse.
Relax.

Morgus

Quote from: bateman on November 01, 2013, 06:52:01 PM
Internet only package with Sirius costs what, $5-6 a month?
The  regular price for an internet-only Sirius subscription in the USA is about $15 a month.
Though if you call to cancel they will usually give a lower priced deal for a few months.
In Canada the same package is only $8 a month.

BobGrau

Seems like a bold move to me. Dark Matter is already privately streamed all over the world because of demand, and there is precedent for simulcasts on radio (Opie and Anthony), so why not drag SiriusXM into the 21st century and acknowledge the power of the internet. In this scenario, Art would have control over the quality of his stream, and Sirius would get revenue from his site because nothing is truly ever free.

People like truckers and on demand listeners like myself whose hours don't allow for much live listening would still subscribe to Sirius as well as folks who want the archive. What he's asking for is a 4 hour a night simulcast, if I'm getting this correct. Sirius has already built him a studio in the desert, I can't believe this is not already a done deal with the finer points of revenue sharing to be ironed out.

Art's a radio man through and through. It's in his bones, but he's a pragmatist and he's been aware from the start that much of his old audience is unable to hear him and the obvious solution is the internet. He's also aware of his reputation as a serial retirer and that bothers him so much he set the record straight on Day One. He's not going anywhere, he's enjoying the thrill of the poker game right now, and if he didn't have fantastic numbers already, he wouldn't have a hand. I'd say if this goes through, Noory better buy a box of Depends for himself and Tommy.

BTW: I constantly get 1001 errors on the laptop, but not on the phone app. However, data plans make the phone app out of the reach of a lot of users.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: lonevoice on November 01, 2013, 07:41:02 PM
A good gauge for the problem is the live thread here on BellGab, which is why Producer-Paul checks in almost nightly.  There hasn't been a night yet that at least some people aren't reporting problems with the stream dropping, sometimes repeatedly.  There was one night earlier this week that easily better than half the participants in the thread were having frequent problems.  At one point, everyone on the thread was affected and we all got a recorded message from SiriusXM apologizing for the technical problem.   We lost a good 10 minutes of Art's show while this apology message played on a loop.

Well, perhaps the company will invest in the future of Art and fix the problem.  Their other [shit] talk shows probably garner 30 to 40 listeners at any one time, whereas Art's internet audience is in the multiple thousands.  Whatever the situation is, someone did not do their homework before putting Art on the air.  He'll always dominate Sirius, and not just be another time filler.

Quote from: BobGrau on November 01, 2013, 07:49:14 PM
Damn fine trollin' Mr Reaper.
How in the world is it trolling to point out what SiriusXM's business model is, and that free live streaming and/or licensing the show out for terrestrial syndication do not fit with that model?

I want Art's show to do well. I want to listen to live Art Bell shows for as long as possible. I also happen to be an XM subscriber since 2007 and have a decent sense of how they operate. I figured that might be of value to a conversation. If that's considered trolling, so be it. Hopefully this all works out and everyone gets to keep listening to Art.

nika01

I just love being lectured Mr. Reaper sir. I bet you are a hit at parties.  Virtually everything you said is opinion, much like my post. I think business types, like you apparently, seem to be unable to think outside the box. Here is some news for you. Art Bell isnt owned by S/XM. He is not some neophyte that got a job  and is beholding to them. I believe he could walk out the door at any time he pleases. His show is getting ripped off nightly and you seem to think the S/XM is somehow in control. Seriously? They need to be outside of the shop worn box mentality, and giving it away for free is genius, in my opinion. I have wasted enough of my days on earth on this, I don't give a shit what happens. Life will go on.

SaucyRossy

I don't think this is going to be a huge problem.

I think Sirius knows that Art is a great intro to new subscribers and will say yes to this.

I don't plan on listening to the show live through artbell.com because it's not often that I can listen exactly at 10. Also, after trying the service out I am going to stick with being a Sirius subscriber for a long time.

So no, I don't think this is a huge deal, I think art is throwing his weight around a tiny bit but he is doing it because he wants people to be able to listen on artbell.com with out the hassle of the stream dropping and because he does have a huge international fan base and they have no legal way to listen to art.

My prediction is on Monday this is settled with Sirius saying yes.

nika01

I think this whole thread is a troll ploy, with several players involved.

EarthAlien007

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 01, 2013, 07:59:15 PM
I want Art's show to do well. I want to listen to live Art Bell shows for as long as possible.
Now you sound like Gnoory.

BobGrau

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 01, 2013, 07:59:15 PM
How in the world is it trolling to point out what SiriusXM's business model is, and that free live streaming and/or licensing the show out for terrestrial syndication do not fit with that model?

I want Art's show to do well. I want to listen to live Art Bell shows for as long as possible. I also happen to be an XM subscriber since 2007 and have a decent sense of how they operate. I figured that might be of value to a conversation. If that's considered trolling, so be it. Hopefully this all works out and everyone gets to keep listening to Art.

;D Sorry, when I posted that for some reason I thought you had started the topic and I had this whole agent provocateur scenario worked out and so on. But you do seem a little... emotionally invested.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: nika01 on November 01, 2013, 08:08:25 PM
I just love being lectured Mr. Reaper sir. I bet you are a hit at parties.  Virtually everything you said is opinion, much like my post. I think business types, like you apparently, seem to be unable to think outside the box. Here is some news for you. Art Bell isnt owned by S/XM. He is not some neophyte that got a job  and is beholding to them. I believe he could walk out the door at any time he pleases. His show is getting ripped off nightly and you seem to think the S/XM is somehow in control. Seriously? They need to be outside of the shop worn box mentality, and giving it away for free is genius, in my opinion. I have wasted enough of my days on earth on this, I don't give a shit what happens. Life will go on.

If memory serves, didn't Art have a free Coast to Coast AM stream link on his original web way back when?  I remember listening via the link before they made it a paid service.  I agree that providing a free service would defeat pirates and solidify his fan base.  I haven't figured out how Sirius could maintain a revenue stream without subscriptions. 

bateman

Quote from: SaucyRossy on November 01, 2013, 08:09:34 PMI don't plan on listening to the show live through artbell.com because it's not often that I can listen exactly at 10. Also, after trying the service out I am going to stick with being a Sirius subscriber for a long time.

My prediction is on Monday this is settled with Sirius saying yes.

I will be shocked if they do, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. One way or the other, I'll remain a subscriber too.

dortmunder

Quote from: georgesucks on November 01, 2013, 07:07:13 PM
I think that Art really wants to quit because he knows that he is really a better host then Noory. I think that he will quit by the end of the year.

Your comments so far have made little if any sense.