• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150831 - David Darling - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 31, 2015, 09:58:29 PM

jneilschulman

Quote from: Bradsmith313 on August 31, 2015, 10:43:38 PM
Just when you thought the Atlas Shrugged movies sucked -- along comes Alongside Night . . . .

Or, you can actually watch excerpts from the movie before trashing it:
http://jneilschulman.agorist.com/2015/07/the-most-libertarian-movie-ever/

Of course if you hate libertarians and libertarianism you'll hate this movie even before watching it. How about being honest enough to admit that?

lamr

Very pleased with the Dr Darling show. A good solid bit of radio.

Auslandia

I'm too lazy to read back and see if anyone else picked up on this but… Doesn't this dude sound exactly like Sean Connery?

RcCle

Col. Wilma Dearing (Buck Rogers) meets Dr. David Darling and they marry...
Dearing-Darling Wedding!

Sorry, had to get that out.

Kolchak

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 01, 2015, 03:24:12 PM
Or, you can actually watch excerpts from the movie before trashing it:
http://jneilschulman.agorist.com/2015/07/the-most-libertarian-movie-ever/

Mr. Schulman is doing a huge disservice to himself posting these clips online. That was panful.

jneilschulman

Quote from: Kolchak on September 01, 2015, 04:47:40 PM
Mr. Schulman is doing a huge disservice to himself posting these clips online. That was panful.

I'm not worried about negative comments. I do wish those like you posting them would identify where you're coming from. I'd expect various lovers of authoritarian government to hate my movie and find the libertarian perspective painful.

coaster

Jake Busey used to be a legitimate actor. This movie seems like it would be more a role his crazy father would take.

albrecht

Quote from: Auslandia on September 01, 2015, 04:14:41 PM
I'm too lazy to read back and see if anyone else picked up on this but… Doesn't this dude sound exactly like Sean Connery?
Where are the British experts? He didn't sound Scots to me but maybe acquired a few ism living there? Or maybe like Connery, when he was trying to be sound English etc,but still had remnants? Connery seems to have developed his "own" accent that doesn't fit exactly where he was raised or what actor he is playing. But, as Hunter would say, "it works for me!" So I didn't get that impression with Darling. But don't know "Dundee" accent or Midlands accent where he was born and raised.) Certainly he wasn't from Glasgow! I know that!

jneilschulman

Quote from: coaster on September 01, 2015, 05:02:25 PM
Jake Busey used to be a legitimate actor. This movie seems like it would be more a role his crazy father would take.

Playing a Clintonesque U.S. President isn't legitimate?

Look, if you want to have a real debate about Alongside Night, bring it. But I tend to counterpunch when my cast and crew become collateral damage to trolls who make nasty attacks anonymously. The vice of anonymous posting is that it's without consequence -- a perfect platform for someone paid to sit in an office and take assignments to go online in an attempt to discredit opposition media.

I'm here under my real name and stand up for my production for good or ill. The definition of trolling is attacking without serious discussion of content then cowardly slinking back into the shadows with nothing at risk.

coaster

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 01, 2015, 05:17:21 PM

Look, if you want to have a real debate about Alongside Night, bring it. But I tend to counterpunch when my cast and crew become collateral damage to trolls who make nasty attacks anonymously. The vice of anonymous posting is that it's without consequence -- a perfect platform for someone paid to sit in an office and take assignments to go online in an attempt to discredit opposition media.

I'm here under my real name and stand up for my production for good or ill. The definition of trolling is attacking without serious discussion of content then cowardly slinking back into the shadows with nothing at risk.
Ok blowhard. You must have confused me with someone who gives a shit about you or your cheesy movie. Your movie stinks, get over it.

coaster

I tend to counterpunch when my cast and crew become collateral damage to trolls who make nasty attacks anonymously. The vice of anonymous posting is that it's without consequence -- a perfect platform for someone paid to sit in an office and take assignments to go online in an attempt to discredit opposition media.

Did you accuse me of making nasty attacks? By saying busey used to be a legitimate actor? Stop getting so defensive. I think damage control would be you not making an ass out of yourself online. Just a thought, hotshot.

jneilschulman

Quote from: coaster on September 01, 2015, 05:26:57 PM
Ok blowhard. You must have confused me with someone who gives a shit about you or your cheesy movie.

And the attempt to appear reasonable is abandoned and profane-filled ad hominem is unleashed.

If Art Bell, his radio show, and his web presence isn't the locus of paid government trolls with assignments to ridicule alternative media, Edward Snowden, Julian Assange, and Chelsea Manning would be unnecessary.

albrecht

I have not yet seen your movie, so can't comment good or bad. But IMDB is not the place to go to get reviews, generally. Yours is not the only movie manipulated with regard to ratings or commentary. Reviews, in general, are a bad place to go but certainly online and anonymous ones in which you have no idea of the people, their skills, motives, previous opinions, etc. Having said that- online forums are similarly suspect and this one is not the place to go to get "nice" treatment- even if you have the best of intentions or greatest movie ever even. Especially if you keep posting, even under your own name, on threads unrelated to movies, entertainment, etc. Don't feed trolls, unless it is fun or profitable, I guess. Good luck with movie. My 2 cents.

coaster

Someone sure is butthurt because no one likes their poorly made movie.

Kolchak

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 01, 2015, 04:54:46 PM
I'm not worried about negative comments. I do wish those like you posting them would identify where you're coming from. I'd expect various lovers of authoritarian government to hate my movie and find the libertarian perspective painful.

I have no philosophical objection to the material at all. I'm a regular Free Talk Live listener (and was tickled to see that cameo).

It's more so the awkward green screen, certain performances, the shot/reverse shot composition and the odd scoring choices of Daniel May - at least from what I've seen thus far.

That said, I really enjoyed the theme song by (I assume) your daughter and that Dennis Hof cameo.

The accusations that the government is paying people to bash your film are laughable, and accusing everyone who doesn't think your product looks good of being some sort of plant is just petty.

jneilschulman

Quote from: albrecht on September 01, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
I have not yet seen your movie, so can't comment good or bad. But IMDB is not the place to go to get reviews, generally. Yours is not the only movie manipulated with regard to ratings or commentary. Reviews, in general, are a bad place to go but certainly online and anonymous ones in which you have no idea of the people, their skills, motives, previous opinions, etc. Having said that- online forums are similarly suspect and this one is not the place to go to get "nice" treatment- even if you have the best of intentions or greatest movie ever even. Especially if you keep posting, even under your own name, on threads unrelated to movies, entertainment, etc. Don't feed trolls, unless it is fun or profitable, I guess. Good luck with movie. My 2 cents.

"Don't feed the trolls" is standard advice. I now rarely post in the IMDb forums for that precise reason.

I didn't initiate any discussion of Alongside Night on BellGab. It was BellGab users reacting to Leo Ashcraft's self-produced spots that play on Midnight in the Desert during Dark Matter News. Are there trolling of spots for Arctic Chaga and C.Crane radios? I doubt it -- those ads carry no ideological content so they're not targeted by web trolls, paid or not.

But Art Bell focuses on fringe topics and draws negative attention from those in charge of defending status-quo views, narrowing what the mainstream media consider the allowable limits of topics. These are people who use Orwell's 1984 as an instruction manual.

If there's anywhere a radical alternative indie film like Alongside Night deserves content-driven discussion, it's BellGab.

coaster

If there was some active campaign to smear this guy's work, it wouldn't be some schlock B movie. Waste of time.  I do like his Micheal Horn-esque argument though. Everyone whos disagrees is an anonymous troll. Brilliant.

AppealPlay

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 01, 2015, 05:45:47 PM
"Don't feed the trolls" is standard advice. I now rarely post in the IMDb forums for that precise reason.

I didn't initiate any discussion of Alongside Night on BellGab. It was BellGab users reacting to Leo Ashcraft's self-produced spots that play on Midnight in the Desert during Dark Matter News. Are there trolling of spots for Arctic Chaga and C.Crane radios? I doubt it -- those ads carry no ideological content so they're not targeted by web trolls, paid or not.

But Art Bell focuses on fringe topics and draws negative attention from those in charge of defending status-quo views, narrowing what the mainstream media consider the allowable limits of topics. These are people who use Orwell's 1984 as an instruction manual.

If there's anywhere a radical alternative indie film like Alongside Night deserves content-driven discussion, it's BellGab.

You're nuts.  Maybe you should try some Arctic Chagga.

jneilschulman

Quote from: coaster on September 01, 2015, 05:48:24 PM
If there was some active campaign to smear this guy's work, it wouldn't be some schlock B movie. Waste of time.  I do like his Micheal Horn-esque argument though. Everyone whos disagrees is an anonymous troll. Brilliant.

OK, accept the challenge. If you're not an anonymous troll post your real name and contact info. Mine is online at http://www.jneilschulman.com and http://www.AlongsideNightMovie,com. Googling "J. Neil Schulman" finds me on IMDb, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Wikipedia.

Until you identify your real-world identity as I have you are using your anonymous accounts to attack without possibility of real-world consequence. The possibility you're paid to troll alternative media such as BellGab is reasonable given revelations that such programs exist with operatives from foreign governments, corporations like Monsanto, and various alphabet U.S. government agencies.

The thing is, you don't "disagree." You attack without any analysis of content. You assume your negative conclusions and are cynical enough to expect anyone who reads you to accept your conclusions unexamined.

Anyone can find out what I stand for. Who are you and what are you willing to stand up for under your real name?

AppealPlay

My name is Jonathan Christian Webster III and I completely agree with this fine filmmaker and his completely reasonable response to criticism.

jneilschulman

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 01, 2015, 05:56:19 PM
You're nuts.  Maybe you should try some Arctic Chagga.

Just noting more content-free ad hominem, reinforcing my contention that BellGab is trolled by one or two real persons using multiple anonymous sock-puppet accounts to give the impression there's a unanimity of opinion. Standard Operating Procedure for a paid troll.

aldousburbank

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 01, 2015, 06:01:17 PM
OK, accept the challenge. If you're not an anonymous troll post your real name and contact info. Mine is online at http://www.jneilschulman.com and http://www.AlongsideNightMovie,com. Googling "J. Neil Schulman" finds me on IMDb, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Wikipedia.

Until you identify your real-world identity as I have you are using your anonymous accounts to attack without possibility of real-world consequence. The possibility you're paid to troll alternative media such as BellGab is reasonable given revelations that such programs exist with operatives from foreign governments, corporations like Monsanto, and various alphabet U.S. government agencies.

The thing is, you don't "disagree." You attack without any analysis of content. You assume your negative conclusions and are cynical enough to expect anyone who reads you to accept your conclusions unexamined.

Anyone can find out what I stand for. Who are you and what are you willing to stand up for under your real name?
We know Coaster.  His "real" identity adds nothing to his contributions here nor does yours. If there's anyone being paid to schill fer or agin here it comes from those who've signed up in the past two months.

AppealPlay

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 01, 2015, 06:05:33 PM
Just noting more content-free ad hominem, reincorcing my contention that BellGab is trolled by one or two real persons using multiple anonymous sock-puppet accounts to give the impression there's a unanimity of opinion. Standard Operating Procedure for a paid troll.

I can't figure out if this is a PR disaster or a boon to your film.  I never would have seen it before but now that I realize you're a self-destructive schizophrenic I feel like I need to buy a DVD.  Do you sign copies?  Will you get the voices in your head to sign, too?

jneilschulman

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 01, 2015, 06:07:08 PM
We know Coaster.  His "real" identity adds nothing to his contributions here nor does yours. If there's anyone being paid to schill fer or agin here it comes from those who've signed up in the past two months.

See that's the thing about anonymous accounts. For all anyone here knows you are the same operator as "Coaster" -- sock-puppet accounts defending each other.

I've been following trolling long enough to recognize the tactics.

coaster

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 01, 2015, 06:01:17 PM

When did I attack you? You went off on me because of a comment about Busey. Why is my personal information relevant when it comes to my opinion of an actor's choice of roles and quality of a movie?  For fuck sake, you are insufferable. My advice to you is get over it and move on.