• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Morgus

Quote from: kingotnw on January 30, 2013, 11:42:12 AM
C2C is vvveeerryyy popular, so it would be hard to make a change right at first, but its something we are considering, but we want to see how Art's new show does first, before we make a change."
that statement from that radio station is interesting - does that mean Noory's ratings are very good (popular) after all?
that would explain why the network has stuck with him for ten years...

popple

I wonder if Art has been collecting new potential guests all these years. It would be awesome to hear from some new experts who aren't "experts" trying to sell us something.

ItsOver

It'll be interesting to see how soon PremRat quietly pulls "Somewhere In Time" off the air.  Score one for Art.

morphiaflow

I don't know the details well enough to state them properly; I'm sure someone else here can. But my understanding is that yes, C2C's affiliate count and listenership is very high--BUT that it's also an inflated or misleading figure, since C2C is entirely sold on barter and trade for stations that want Limbaugh, something even Noory nervously acknowledged not long ago when a guest ripped into Limbaugh about something. "Let's leave Rush alone, he's carrying us...." something along those lines. I think this was when Limbaugh was in the midst of or just recovering from his latest round of foot-in-mouth syndrome. Anyway, regardless of how many actual Noory/Coast "devotees" there are, it IS a giant commercial juggernaut that will have to be contended with. It won't just fold, even in the face of a challenge from its founder.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Morgus on January 30, 2013, 01:57:52 PM
- does that mean Noory's ratings are very good (popular) after all?

... from that one little guy's perspective.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: ItsOver on January 30, 2013, 02:08:54 PM
It'll be interesting to see how soon PremRat quietly pulls "Somewhere In Time" off the air.  Score one for Art.

They could also use it to screw with Art.

lasertron

Quote from: FortRock on January 30, 2013, 10:29:50 AM
REMEMBER ART BELL's MODUS OPERENDI SCORPION ARMY MEMBERS!
Art Bell is the Warlock Of Radio, if you look up the definition of the word, one definition comes straight from Scottish Galic, "Oath Breaker"! Art Bell is the Oath Breaker Of Corporate Radio's Rules! My source in Las Vegas says forget about Premire and Cumulus, however Art Bell WILL be on stations of those Ownership Groups. Art will "Cherry Pick" the best, and most powerful stations in the radio markets regardless of Ownership Groups. However know that there might be a bius towards stations carrying CBS-Radio News due to George Napp's participation. Expect Art's return sooner than you think!

Hey bb glad to see you back. I ask that U guide my thoughts, my feelings & my perceptions AMEN

ItsOver

Quote from: Marc knight on January 30, 2013, 02:19:26 PM

They could also use it to screw with Art.

I can't imagine PremRat continuing to play the shows of a "competitor," especially when PremRat's Noory dog in the race is lame and on it's last legs. 

SnapT

I think MIDNIGHT IN THE DESERT WITH ART BELL could be a good name for the new show.

ItsOver

This is beyond great.  ;D   I'd so much rather be contributing to an "Art Bell's New Show" than the "George Noory Sucks!" thread. Noory can slink off into ignominious oblivion.

I'd be perfectly happy with a once week Art show, if that's what it takes to get and keep Art on the air for as long as possible.  I hope Art pretty much picks-up where he left off and continues to do what he does best, delving into the paranormal and spinning the best "setting-around-the-campfire-on-a-dark-night" atmosphere.  As we've painfully learned over these past years, there's only one Art Bell and I hope we get to enjoy his presence on the airwaves of the night soon.

morphiaflow

I wonder if "Ghost to Ghost" and the New Year's Prediction shows will come back.

Also, regarding Somewhere in Time, I don't think it will continue, because it's like free advertising for him....

morphiaflow

Continuing SIT would be free advertising for the name Art Bell.
Granted when Letterman jumped to CBS, NBC aired his very first two weeks of shows from 11 years earlier in the same time slot as a "fuck you". But then Conan came along.

LAM4:2

I just received a CoastGab email, informing me about Art Bell possibly returning. Is this true? Are we WINNING?

ItsOver

Before the latest great news hit yesterday, Art was dueling with PremRat to get them to stop playing his old shows as "Somewhere in Time" on Saturday night, apparently unsuccessfully.  I wonder if Art WILL go with a once-a-week show.  Seems like it would be a perfect substitute for the SIT time slot on Saturday.  It seems obvious, to me at least, Art is not negotiating with PremRat for his new show.  I guess even those stations who are carrying C2C as part of a PremRat deal have the option of picking-up non-PremRat distributed shows but I'm no radio programming expert.  I'd love to see PremRat drop SIT and the local stations could pick-up Art's new show from another distributor to fill that slot.

driton

Wow, i did not expect an email from coastgab about Art, but boy thanks for the update!
Looking forward to quality late night radio once again, which even on Art's worst day hes better then george on his best.
Only hope that the somewhere in time shows id still like to collect will be available somehow.

ItsOver

Quote from: morphiaflow on January 30, 2013, 03:02:07 PM
I wonder if "Ghost to Ghost" and the New Year's Prediction shows will come back....

Wouldn't that be great?  Noory has succeeded in making both of those show unrecognizable from what they were with Art so he wouldn't notice anyway. 

Test4echo

Just an Update to Am 800 CKLW's PD response;

"Hello Test,

Thanks for the e-mail and phone call.
No denying Art Bells popularity.

Let me see what I can find out and if it will fit with AM800's weekly schedule.

Have a Great Day,

Keith"

AM 800 CKLW is HUGE transmitter. Not power wise but geographically wise. Seems they don't know yet.
If any of you happen to live in the Southern Ontario, Michigan Area,  please call. The more the better. Or....e-mail him.
kwc@am800cklw.com

The more the better.

LLAB!

ItsOver

Quote from: driton on January 30, 2013, 03:12:23 PM
Wow, i did not expect an email from coastgab about Art, but boy thanks for the update!
Looking forward to quality late night radio once again, which even on Art's worst day hes better then george on his best.
Only hope that the somewhere in time shows id still like to collect will be available somehow.

Welcome back!  That was good of MV to "get out the word" about the great news. 

Quote from: Test4echo on January 30, 2013, 03:15:54 PM
Just an Update to Am 800 CKLW's PD response;

"Hello Test,

Thanks for the e-mail and phone call.
No denying Art Bells popularity.

Let me see what I can find out and if it will fit with AM800's weekly schedule.

Have a Great Day,

Keith"

AM 800 CKLW is HUGE transmitter. Not power wise but geographically wise. Seems they don't know yet.
If any of you happen to live in the Southern Ontario, Michigan Area,  please call. The more the better. Or....e-mail him.
kwc@am800cklw.com

The more the better.

LLAB!

That pretty much sounds like a "no" to me, or a standard response.

kingotnw

No way C2C will continue airing Art's shows once his new one starts up. They are losing no matter what with Art's new show. Losing the Art Bell name on their show is a huge hit no matter which way you look at it.

Don't you think it likely Art's new show will start in most markets on the talk station competing with Rush, not Rush's station?  That is a handicap, but not one he could not overcome.

ItsOver

Quote from: LAM4:2 on January 30, 2013, 03:05:31 PM
I just received a CoastGab email, informing me about Art Bell possibly returning. Is this true? Are we WINNING?

It's twue.... It's twue!!!

ItsOver

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on January 30, 2013, 03:26:28 PM
Don't you think it likely Art's new show will start in most markets on the talk station competing with Rush, not Rush's station?  That is a handicap, but not one he could not overcome.

I'm not really sure.  I wouldn't be surprised if Art was talking with somebody such as Cumulus but I wouldn't be surprised if he has something else up his sleeve, either. 

driton

And to top off an awesome art bell news day, after 2 years of trying on facebook,i finally got a friend request through...Am i in Art Bells Dreamland?

lonevoice

Art's first facebook message regarding future prospects was the one he posted in August.  In that message, he let the public know that he had asked PremRat to stop airing SIT and that PremRat chose not to do so (which Art specifically mentioned was their legal right).   Art followed that with a thinly-veiled threat to PremRat that "I'm just about to tell the real story of my so-called 'Retirements.' "

That said a few things without having to read too deeply between the lines.  One, and most important to me, was Art's deliberate literary choice to capitalize the word Retirements, to place it in quotes, and, cherry on top, to come right out and define them as "so-called,"  not to mention the use of the plural form.  So, if Art was to be taken at face value here, there was much more PremRat bullshit behind ALL of his so-called "Retirements" than we've previously been given to know.  Maybe Art never actually wanted to "Retire" from broadcasting.  Maybe radio really is part of Art's DNA and he'd like to be holding a microphone in his hand on that day when he eventually shuffles off this mortal coil.

His manner of posting this as not so much a threat, but a promise, to expose some public dirt about PremRat said to me that whatever negotiations he had going with PremRat included the broadcast rights of SIT, and that those negotiations had finally and completely broken down.   I believe Art was at least in the talking stages with PremRat about his eventual return to broadcasting on their network in some form, and part of what Art wanted was ownership of SIT.  Their refusal to agree to that demand was the end of negotiations with them.  As someone upthread said, I agree that it's likely PremRat doesn't want to lose SIT because it makes up a considerable portion of their weekly ratings number of 5 million listeners per week, which determines how much $ they can charge for commercial time.  Take SIT away, and maybe the ratings look considerably worse.   That would directly, perhaps catastrophically, impact their bottom line.

I'd guess that Art has been in deep, high-level negotiations since August.  The negotiations are with some entity,  other than PremRat/Clear Channel, and he's being VERY particular and specific about his side of the bargain.  Once bitten, twice shy.  Art is an extremely intelligent man, PremRat burned him in ways we don't even know, but it won't be happening again.   I believe  Art's  probably looking at what will be his lasting legacy to radio...his first love.   Nuke 'em from orbit, Art.  It's the only way to be sure.

Like everyone else, I really really want this to happen.  More importantly, Art's messages, beginning with the August shot across the bow of PremRat, say that HE really really wants this to happen.   If it doesn't happen, it isn't going to be from lack of Art's trying. 

Good luck, Mr. Bell.  My hope is that you strike a deal that gives you everything you could wish for, and more. 

Juan

Well, the PD at my local station that carries Coast didn't know anything about it.  I gave him the details I had.

morphiaflow

One thing I think is for certain is that we are talking old-fashioned terrestrial radio here, not satellite or podcasts. Not that those might not be subsidiary components, but neither of them is in Art's blood and bones the way that actual radio is.

Sardondi

Quote from: SnapT on January 30, 2013, 02:53:10 PM
I think MIDNIGHT IN THE DESERT WITH ART BELL could be a good name for the new show.

Inspired.

raistlin

Quote from: morphiaflow on January 30, 2013, 03:46:01 PM
One thing I think is for certain is that we are talking old-fashioned terrestrial radio here, not satellite or podcasts. Not that those might not be subsidiary components, but neither of them is in Art's blood and bones the way that actual radio is.

Yeah I'd have to agree with that.  Besides I doubt Art would want to be affiliated with someone like Stern anyhow.  Shock jocks were always something Art frowned on.  Internet on the other hand has come a *long ways since the days when Art was streaming all the time.  It'd be pretty cool to have a show where we could see a stream and do fast blasts again.  I'm not sure that Art would want to use a fully load IRC room, but that'd be cool too.

Surmo

Hallelujah!  May Noory disappear, to quote a favorite movie, "like a fart in the wind."

Thanks MV, for the email, I had not checked in here for two weeks until I got your
email.  To think I was down in the dumps, not knowing events beyond my keen
were taking place.

Now to contact all my local radio stations, starting with AM800, about bringing the
new Art Bell Show (however titled) onboard, be it about gardening, rock gardens,
or whatever Art chooses to talk about.