• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

ge30542

When I hear "top5 or 10" movies. Immediately entering my mind is Patton. Sand Pebbles, Great Escape. Then i have to think about the rest.

Rix Gins

Quote from: ge30542 on July 18, 2016, 07:33:50 PM
When I hear "top5 or 10" movies. Immediately entering my mind is Patton. Sand Pebbles, Great Escape. Then i have to think about the rest.

I have a top 50 movies list.  That way there is room for all of Ed Wood Jr.'s movies.

TigerLily

Quote from: zeebo on July 18, 2016, 07:29:49 PM
I wonder which samurai classic inspired Every Which Way But Loose.

Let me confer with my movie critic colleague in Japan and we'll get back to you. Btw a much better source than Michelle

Beats me, but I bet it was directed by the same hack who made the one on which "Roadhouse" is based.  The cheesy samurai-ish coif Sam Elliott affected for his fight scenes was supposedly an inside joke poking fun at the original because it's so awful that everyone who has seen both considers "Roadhouse" to be a significant improvement, improbable as that sounds.

zeebo

Quote from: TigerLily on July 18, 2016, 08:26:52 PM
Let me confer with my movie critic colleague in Japan and we'll get back to you. Btw a much better source than Michelle

Lol snow monkeys playing pokemon, only in Japan.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 18, 2016, 08:37:02 PM
Beats me, but I bet it was directed by the same hack who made the one on which "Roadhouse" is based.  The cheesy samurai-ish coif Sam Elliott affected for his fight scenes was supposedly an inside joke poking fun at the original because it's so awful that everyone who has seen both considers "Roadhouse" to be a significant improvement, improbable as that sounds.

Roadhouse is a modern classic.   ;)

Quote from: TigerLily on July 18, 2016, 06:55:09 PM
For your viewing pleasure. On TCM Tuesday 6pm/3pm  Red Sun (1972). A Western with Charles Bronson, Toshiro Miffune, Alain Delon and Ursula Andress.  Maybe not a classic but very enjoyable.

Definitely not a classic, but well worth watching just for the scenes with Bronson and TM!  They had great buddy movie chemistry, and it's another one of Bronson's underappreciated roles.

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on July 18, 2016, 09:35:19 PM
Roadhouse is a modern classic.   ;)
Should be sold in those bins of reduced priced dvds as a 'double-feature' with "Stone Cold," classics as they are. Interestingly along that line, TBS used to be the original modern TCM, in that they would always be playing classic Burt Reynolds movies (between Braves's games.)

I_Speculate

Why post trailers? Name the movie and you'll get a link.

Quote from: zeebo on July 18, 2016, 09:35:19 PM
Roadhouse is a modern timeless classic.

Name another movie in which a remorseless rampage of revenge killing ends with the line, "A polar bear fell on me."   ;D

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 18, 2016, 10:08:30 PM
Name another movie in which a remorseless rampage of revenge killing ends with the line, "A polar bear fell on me."   ;D
True. Though I think it is nicely paired with "Stone Cold" for some classic lines and revenge themes. Even if that starred as the vehicle to, supposedly, start a dumb ou football guy as an action hero and failed. Should be one of those dual-sided dvds sold in bins at a reduced price so everybody can see the greatness in those movies.

Quote from: I_Speculate on July 18, 2016, 09:58:01 PM
Why post trailers? Name the movie and you'll get a link.

I like to post the trailers so people; who may not be familiar with the film, can get a sense of it.
If they're interested, they'll do their own homework. :)

Quote from: GravitySucks on July 18, 2016, 07:16:09 PM
I haven't see Yojimbo. I loved the man with no name trilogy. Clint only got paid $15,000. I didn't know they were sued. Cost them over $100,000 to settle out of court. In real dollars.

Neither have I but it is in my collection.  I'll watch it sometime soon.

Quote from: god of thunder on July 18, 2016, 09:55:33 PM
Here are some more historical/biblical epics, these films are all truly classics:

https://youtu.be/oRVE6o5Yz9Y

https://youtu.be/NR1ZHKw09n8

https://youtu.be/qoTGoUaL3-Y

https://youtu.be/1oIY05cDU5w

https://youtu.be/BDNu76OJYX0

https://youtu.be/qepcw9Abw3E

https://youtu.be/3tbMCMS0ovI

My favorite one from this bunch is The Robe.  Ben Hur is a close second.  I love Jay Robinson's Caligula.  It is so hammy but sooo right too.

Diana: [Marcellus has just been sentenced to execution; Diana leaves the podium to stand at his side] Sire, Marcellus is my chosen husband. I wish to go with him.
Caligula: Stand back! You're not on trial! There's no evidence against you!
Diana: Then if it please you, sire, I'll provide evidence. I have no wish to live another hour in an empire ruled by *you*! You dare to call yourself a Caesar. Once the Caesars of Rome were noble, but in you, noble blood has turned to poison. You corrupt Rome with your spite and malice.
Caligula: Stop! Stop it!
Diana: That *you* should be Caesar, vicious, treacherous, drunk with power, an evil, insane monster posing as emperor.
Caligula: STOP IT!
Diana: As for me, I have found another king. I want to go with my husband into his kingdom.
Caligula: Then, by the gods, you shall! Go, both of you, into your kingdom!     

I'll rank them.
1. The Robe
2. Ben Hur
3. Quo Vadis
4. Demetrius and The Gladiators
5. The 300 Spartans

I reserve judgement on Cleopatra and The Fall Of The Roman Empire.  I haven't watched either all the way through.  What I saw of Cleopatra was beautiful but tedious.  I think I will like Fall though as I love all the actors in that film and the director.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 18, 2016, 11:01:21 PM
My favorite one from this bunch is The Robe.  Ben Hur is a close second.  I love Jay Robinson's Caligula.  It is so hammy but sooo right too.

Diana: [Marcellus has just been sentenced to execution; Diana leaves the podium to stand at his side] Sire, Marcellus is my chosen husband. I wish to go with him.
Caligula: Stand back! You're not on trial! There's no evidence against you!
Diana: Then if it please you, sire, I'll provide evidence. I have no wish to live another hour in an empire ruled by *you*! You dare to call yourself a Caesar. Once the Caesars of Rome were noble, but in you, noble blood has turned to poison. You corrupt Rome with your spite and malice.
Caligula: Stop! Stop it!
Diana: That *you* should be Caesar, vicious, treacherous, drunk with power, an evil, insane monster posing as emperor.
Caligula: STOP IT!

Diana: As for me, I have found another king. I want to go with my husband into his kingdom.
Caligula: Then, by the gods, you shall! Go, both of you, into your kingdom!   

Jay Robinson's Caligula, really captures the essence of insanity.

Another memorable scene for me; is Demetrius (Victor Mature), at the foot of the cross. He is devastated; it begins to rain, and he leaves, and runs into Tribune Gallio (Richard Burton). His sorrow gives way to rage, and begins to tell Gallio what he thinks about the Romans. Great scene.

Quote from: god of thunder on July 18, 2016, 11:11:35 PM

Jay Robinson's Caligula, really captures the essence of insanity.

Another memorable scene for me; is Demetrius (Victor Mature), at the foot of the cross. He is devastated; it begins to rain, and he leaves, and runs into Tribune Gallio (Richard Burton). His sorrow gives way to rage, and begins to tell Gallio what he thinks about the Romans. Great scene.

Mature gets a lot of disrespect but he really excelled in this film and he was hilarious in After The Fox.  The Robe is probably his best movie.

ItsOver

Good question.  I'm sure some international classic had to inspire this movie.

http://youtu.be/mE2-7a_F_B0

ItsOver

I viewed a beautiful classic the other day.  It was quite a change from "The Great Escape" or Clint riding the high plains.  The settings and filming are gorgeous and perfectly staged.  A film of innocence, purity, ideals, and, yes, not just for children.  I hadn't viewed it since I was a child. A timeless classic which deserves to be shown much more frequently and is still very worthy of the big screen.  Disney's "Pollyanna" is one of the films which, for me, was emblematic of Walt's live productions.

Haley Mills is perfect as Pollyanna.  A brilliant natural as a child actor, without the usual stilted, over-acting present in so many other young performers.  It's interesting to view the movie now and note some actresses which became better known in the '60s with two popular TV shows, "Green Acres" and "Bewitched."  You'll recognize them as soon as they appear.

Remember when Sunday night had the wonderful Disney shows?  Relive those days with this wonderful film.

ge30542

What's the Deborah Kerr film where she is the wife of a college professor or something, they live on campus. She befriends the soft sensitive violin playing boy, whom all the guys call "sister". She winds up banging him, asking him to look kindly, years from now, at this moment. Anyone know which movie I'm speaking of? Mid-late 50s?

Quote from: ge30542 on July 19, 2016, 08:16:13 PM
What's the Deborah Kerr film where she is the wife of a college professor or something, they live on campus. She befriends the soft sensitive violin playing boy, whom all the guys call "sister". She winds up banging him, asking him to look kindly, years from now, at this moment. Anyone know which movie I'm speaking of? Mid-late 50s?

"Tea and Sympathy" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049829/

I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago, and am surprised they got away with as much as they did for the time.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 19, 2016, 09:22:14 PM
Any other Tim Carey fans here?

Vaguely familiar with him and I know I've seen some of the films he's been in but I can't say I ever noticed him.  I'm more familiar with the Harry Carey's, father and son.

Quote from: ItsOver on July 19, 2016, 05:25:59 AM
I viewed a beautiful classic the other day.  It was quite a change from "The Great Escape" or Clint riding the high plains.  The settings and filming are gorgeous and perfectly staged.  A film of innocence, purity, ideals, and, yes, not just for children.  I hadn't viewed it since I was a child. A timeless classic which deserves to be shown much more frequently and is still very worthy of the big screen.  Disney's "Pollyanna" is one of the films which, for me, was emblematic of Walt's live productions.

Haley Mills is perfect as Pollyanna.  A brilliant natural as a child actor, without the usual stilted, over-acting present in so many other young performers.  It's interesting to view the movie now and note some actresses which became better known in the '60s with two popular TV shows, "Green Acres" and "Bewitched."  You'll recognize them as soon as they appear.

Remember when Sunday night had the wonderful Disney shows?  Relive those days with this wonderful film.

Thanks for the recommendation.  :D ;) Of the Disney live films, my personal favorite is Darby O'Gill And The Little People with Connery and Janet Munro.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 20, 2016, 12:06:07 AM
Thanks for the recommendation.  :D ;) Of the Disney live films, my personal favorite is Darby O'Gill And The Little People with Connery and Janet Munro.
If not my favorite Disney film, definitely in the top 5 for me, as well, 21st.  The Death Coach and the Banshee scared the devil out of me when I saw the movie as a kid.

Quote from: ItsOver on July 20, 2016, 06:46:18 AM
If not my favorite Disney film, definitely in the top 5 for me, as well, 21st.  The Death Coach and the Banshee scared the devil out of me when I saw the movie as a kid.

Me too.  I'm partial to anything that has a bit of horror in it.  I also like Fess Parker as Davy Crockett.

TigerLily

How about Fantasia? My three favorites: Sorcerer's Apprentice; Dance of Hours; and especially Night on Bald Mountain. The last one scared me as a kid but I was always sorry when dawn won out over the demons of the night

Quote from: TigerLily on July 21, 2016, 10:39:46 AM
How about Fantasia? ...especially Night on Bald Mountain. The last one scared me as a kid but I was always sorry when dawn won out over the demons of the night

...an example of the sneaky way watching cartoons can instill an early appreciation/love of classical music.  I still treasure my Fantasia soundtrack LP with Moussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain.

Later I was disappointed to learn that the correct title was "A Night on Bald Mountain", and I wondered why Disney dropped the "A".

TigerLily

IIRC Disney produced a slew of cartoon shorts in the 30's that used classical music. They were called something like Classical Cartoons ... duh.  A great way to introduce classical music to the kiddies