• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Gassy Man

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 12, 2015, 07:04:20 PM
And I also never argued with you about that (your user experience).

What I addressed was the "ad hominem" as ineffective claim. If an ad hominem was ineffective, you would have not responded and everyone else in addition would have not responded.
The actual results are that these ad hominem attacks took over the next two pages of the thread. So they were effective and we negate your claim.
Asked and answered.  Again, your refusal to accept what I posted is not my issue -- it's yours.  But, keep posting so I can use this, etc., etc.

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 07:06:31 PM
Asked and answered.  Again, your refusal to accept what I posted is not my issue -- it's yours.  But, keep posting so I can use this, etc., etc.

I understand that, but can you prove your claim?

Freyja

Quote from: MV on December 12, 2015, 04:58:27 PM
i get that heather wants to be a radio host, but if i were her, i would walk away from this altogether and go do my own thing somewhere else, unencumbered by the ghost of art bell which will continue to haunt her until she's run out of town by crazies with pitch forks.  to start off as the host of a show under these circumstances is less than auspicious, to say the least.

+1 Agreed.

A seasoned host would have a difficult time doing what she is trying to do.

I would listen to her and give her a chance for a great career on another venue, just not in late night radio....and especially on MITD.

For me she just doesn't have the tone, manner and nuance ( perhaps yet) to carry an intimate late night program like we are used to with Art. 

Quote from: onan on December 12, 2015, 06:49:30 PM
You did goad a bit. We only have your word about publishing and awards. And it does smack of sanctimony. I get your point about the better argument. Most of us are quite aware of points of debate. And usually we are protective of people with some history here. With your presentation of teaching others I am somewhat perplexed that you do not see a small part of this as your responsibility. Not that civil conversation isn't a worthy goal. But for a learned man to come into the neighborhood bar and not only criticize one of its members but then to make a claim to authority that can't be proven does shows some limited insight.

Sanctimony 101 Syllabus

About the teacher: Mr. Gassy is frequently published, both on popular internet forums and in the local penny saver, where his weekly column "Limited Insight" can be found between the car wash coupons and the minutes from the neighborhood Cat Fanciers' meeting.  He is the recipient of many awards, including Customer of the Week at the Sizzler on route 6 and a certificate of participation for Dale Carnegie training.  An inveterate gadfly, Mr. Gassy is known to strike up conversations with complete strangers by informing them he makes a comfortable living.

Class materials:  Stuff Mr. Gassy finds on Bellgab.com

Week 1:
Logical Fallacy defined

Week 2:
Ad hominem defined

Week 3:
Repeat of week 1

Week 4:
Repeat of week 2

Week 5:
Repeat of week 1

Week 6:
Repeat of week 2

albrecht

Quote from: Freyja on December 12, 2015, 07:18:06 PM
+1 Agreed.

A seasoned host would have a difficult time doing what she is trying to do.

I would listen to her and give her a chance for a great career on another venue, just not in late night radio.

For me she just doesn't have the tone, manner and nuance ( perhaps yet) to carry an intimate late night program like we are used to with Art.
I'll give her a chance but tend to agree. But sometimes it takes a bit to get going after a legend. But it happens in sports, business, churches, politics, etc all the time to an extent or another. Personally I think they should have MITD (if the show/network will still exist) have multiple hosts on a rotating basis vs having a single-host everyday. That way different perspectives, different voices, different focus vs having one person try to find a new guest/material every night. I suggest a rotating schedule of, for example, 'Bateman', RCH, Howard Hughes, LMH, Strieber, JBW, Ian Punnet, etc. Even an appearance from Art sometimes. People could keep their day jobs (or other shows)

Last night's guest was terrible.  He should have never been invited on.  I don't quite get why Art doesn't understand this is no longer 1997 and people just aren't interested in this caliber of foolishness anymore, we've moved on.  Bullshitter guests are longer entertaining, interesting, or even amusing - Noory took care of that.

There are two reasons Art shouldn't be doing a 5 night a week show anymore, at least along the lines of what he's been doing the past couple decades - there aren't enough worthwhile guests to fill the schedule, and after not very long he gets tired of doing it every night.

To get back to the point, interviewing this ass-clown - especially on a night everyone's thoughts are on Art's retirement - did not provide any kind of basis for evaluating (Redacted)'s abilities at all.  She was bad, Art was bad, the guest was bad, and the callers were bad.  Enough with the jack-off, intelligence insulting, guests.

vansmythe

You can't judge her on the basis of that one show last night at least she bounced that clown after 2 hours of total nonsense from that psycho or wanna-be comedian. Hell, the show last night would have stunk if it had been Johnny Carson  hosting it.

I hosted a podcast once and it was really fucking hard. Never tried it again.

I think she did well, I don't expect her to have the same exact style or presence as a man in his 70s.

You either go "broadcaster voice" and become fake to an extent or you be yourself. Art seemed to always be himself and go with whatever thought or reaction was natural to him. This is what sounds best to me. MV is another radio voice that sounds very natural and honest to himself. Very good listening.

I think that if Heather continues to do the show, it will get better and better, moving towards this natural and honest delivery. If anything it sounded like she was putting up her guard a little bit. Rightfully so, seeing as how there are threads titled like THIS popping up.

dot hash

Give her a chance with one of the classic high quality guests, or 3 hours open lines would be the real test, and then see, I would say.

aldousburbank

Quote from: guildnavigator on December 12, 2015, 08:19:04 PM
I think that if Heather continues to do the show, it will get better and better, moving towards this natural and honest delivery. If anything it sounded like she was putting up her guard a little bit. Rightfully so, seeing as how there are threads titled like THIS popping up.
So true.

phrodo

Quote from: WhiteCrow on December 12, 2015, 08:43:06 PM
Best to you Heather  :-*

Yes I agree. Don't let the asshats get you down.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Freyja on December 12, 2015, 07:18:06 PM

I would listen to her and give her a chance for a great career on another venue, just not in late night radio....and especially on MITD.
I don't agree with this at all. I'm simply saying I don't think the circumstances are fair to Heather.

Nobody is going to be like anyone was "used to" with Art. And that's not Heather's fault.

NXOEED

If she keeps it going, I'll listen every night. I thought she was great under the circumstances.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: NXOEED on December 12, 2015, 09:08:55 PM
I thought she was great under the circumstances.
From what i heard of it, she held things together about 1000% better than most would have.

NXOEED

Quote from: MV on December 12, 2015, 09:14:45 PM
From what i heard of it, she held things together about 1000% better than most would have.

yup.

dot hash

People just want a target to be nasty to because they're upset.

GravitySucks

I agree. She held it together like a pro.

CoolTen10

Is she the one that Art thinks 'gets it'?

Gassy Man

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on December 12, 2015, 07:19:56 PM
Sanctimony 101 Syllabus

About the teacher: Mr. Gassy is frequently published, both on popular internet forums and in the local penny saver, where his weekly column "Limited Insight" can be found between the car wash coupons and the minutes from the neighborhood Cat Fanciers' meeting.  He is the recipient of many awards, including Customer of the Week at the Sizzler on route 6 and a certificate of participation for Dale Carnegie training.  An inveterate gadfly, Mr. Gassy is known to strike up conversations with complete strangers by informing them he makes a comfortable living.

Class materials:  Stuff Mr. Gassy finds on Bellgab.com

Week 1:
Logical Fallacy defined

Week 2:
Ad hominem defined

Week 3:
Repeat of week 1

Week 4:
Repeat of week 2

Week 5:
Repeat of week 1

Week 6:
Repeat of week 2
As before, personal attack, but like I said, just keep proving the point.

Claudius

I agree, but it was still really quite terrible. If I throw you a bomb it's not going to go well no matter how well you personally deal with it.

trostol

i had no issue with her aside from she reminded me of Lisa Garr...a touch too laid back sounding

Gassy Man

Quote from: Claudius on December 12, 2015, 10:28:30 PM
I agree, but it was still really quite terrible. If I throw you a bomb it's not going to go well no matter how well you personally deal with it.
Perhaps after much, much work, she might do better, but last night was just not a good debut.  And it doesn't feel like the show is going to last long enough for her to get her broadcasting chops, but we will see . . .

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 10:27:13 PM
As before, personal attack, but like I said, just keep proving the point.
You mean an ad hominem attack, right?  Or are you unfamiliar with the term?

Gassy Man

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on December 12, 2015, 11:17:14 PM
You mean an ad hominem attack, right?  Or are you unfamiliar with the term?
Read the previous threads and see if you can figure it out.  Also, look up the term and see how it is defined and also known.   :D

CornyCrow

I did not listen, and probably will not.  How can this person compete with a guy with years and years of interviewing experience, and a real active curiosity and enough knowledge to provide insights on a lot of topics?  I don't see it happening.  How about all those radio stations that signed on?  What could they be thinking about this?  Will they stay?  Who gets the Time Traveler income now?