• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mr. Spock's FishingGab Thread.

Started by MR. Spock, April 17, 2016, 05:06:17 PM

MR. Spock

Hello everyone. I started this thread for the bellgabbers who enjoy fishing. If you want to, we can each other tips on better fishing, where to fish and the like. I enjoy fishing in the Sierra Nevada mountians from the Kern River to Lake Tahoe.

MR. Spock

Remember everyone, a bad day of fishing is better then a good day of listening to Noory.

MR. Spock

Little Chris, Where are some of your fishing spots? The water in the kern river is slowly coming up.

venix

What's with the egos on this website that everyone has to start threads with their name?

What's next?

Ponyboysunset's guide to vagina maintenance.

Jazmunda's guide to flushing toilets.

littlechris' guide to being an online creep.

Coasters 12 step guide to pretending to stay sober.

ItsOver

Quote from: venix on April 17, 2016, 05:31:59 PM
What's with the egos on this website that everyone has to start threads with their name?

What's next?

Pate's pocket translator.

MV's guide to proper avatar selection and fashion tips.

Art Bell's tips for random caps, drama creation, quitting, and guilt tripping.

chefist

What's next?

Penix's guide on being boring...

coaster

I love fishing. Usually go for catfish with a nice carolina rig. My father makes some nice homemade stink bait. Went out a few days ago at Conestoga lake here in Nebraska. Was on the boat though, so it was a few small mouths and some crappie. Haven't used lures in quite some time. That was fun.
Though there is nothing better than sitting on shore with a campfire going, and bottom fishing for some huge cats. Flathead cats get big here in stick town. I think the record is 80 pounds.

trostol

What's next?

pretty sure thats already been covered on the simpsons

littlechris

Quote from: MR. Spock on April 17, 2016, 05:22:14 PM
Little Chris, Where are some of your fishing spots? The water in the kern river is slowly coming up.

Yes, was just talking about how we need to go fishing at the Killer Kern river and also look for parts from the stealth bomber that crashed there many years ago.

chefist

Quote from: coaster on April 17, 2016, 05:47:14 PM
I love fishing. Usually go for catfish with a nice carolina rig. My father makes some nice homemade stink bait. Went out a few days ago at Conestoga lake here in Nebraska. Was on the boat though, so it was a few small mouths and some crappie. Haven't used lures in quite some time. That was fun.
Though there is nothing better than sitting on shore with a campfire going, and bottom fishing for some huge cats. Flathead cats get big here in stick town. I think the record is 80 pounds.

My mother's side of the family was from North Platte...my grandfather had homesteaded there...went several times when I was young...

MR. Spock

My biggest catfish was from my uncle's pond and it was a 5 lbs and it did put up a good fight too. My biggest rainbow trout was 3.5 lbs and i caught it near Big Pine Ca.

MR. Spock

Quote from: littlechris on April 17, 2016, 05:48:20 PM
Yes, was just talking about how we need to go fishing at the Killer Kern river and also look for parts from the stealth bomber that crashed there many years ago.
Yes, I am ready to go. Im going to the kern river next weekend to do some fishing the area.

littlechris

Quote from: MR. Spock on April 17, 2016, 05:52:34 PM
Yes, I am ready to go. Im going to the kern river next weekend to do some fishing the area.

Have you been to Lake Isabella? Or further up the river?  My fishing skills suck but I love the outdoors.

I bet Falkie has caught bigger fish than all of us.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 17, 2016, 05:55:14 PM
I bet Falkie has caught bigger fish than all of us.

Aye, he's harpooned the biggest of whales!

trostol

one of these days i'll get back out to it...used to do it a lot as a kid ..even tried fishing from the beach once...but i havent gone in probably..25..30 years

coaster

Quote from: chefist on April 17, 2016, 05:49:51 PM
My mother's side of the family was from North Platte...my grandfather had homesteaded there...went several times when I was young...
I've lived in Nebraska for over 30 years, and have yet to find all it's fishing holes. Have you ever been out to Lake McConaughy?

albrecht

It is fun to catch big cats but I've always heard that the big ones aren't good eating (even claims about mercury, lead, etc dangers.) So I always throw big ones (not that I ever approached the ones you see on internet and tv.) But for cooking ~8lbs or so is my max, when I'm lucky to catch one even that big. For the most part I catch-and-release most things, especially in fresh water (except gars, alligator gars, etc) and in bay/ocean I will keep for eating good stuff (because more costs to go) but will throw-back unintended catches (but mullet, hardheads, and stingrays, etc will be used for bait/discarded/killed.)

chefist

Quote from: coaster on April 17, 2016, 05:57:35 PM
I've lived in Nebraska for over 30 years, and have yet to find all it's fishing holes. Have you ever been out to Lake McConaughy?

Actually camped there as a child...I remember an extremely strong wind storm that blew down our tent...

littlechris

We should do a Bellgab camping/fishing outing here in southern Cali.

Would be fun if you want to hang out with two psychos, Mr.Spock and I. ;D

Quote from: littlechris on April 17, 2016, 05:58:53 PM

Which of you two plays the banjo?

MR. Spock

Quote from: littlechris on April 17, 2016, 05:54:14 PM
Have you been to Lake Isabella? Or further up the river?  My fishing skills suck but I love the outdoors.
Lake Isabella starting to look better after the latest snow and rain that we got. The best spots at Lake Isabella is around Kernville and to the fishery. Downstream past the west side of the dam is ok. There still no water in the kern river in Bakersfield because most of the water is given to the farmers. I will be checking it out next weekend to give everyone an update.

What's next?

Some Random Fat Dude in Missouri's Guide to Random Fat Dudes in Missouri.

littlechris

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 17, 2016, 05:59:23 PM
Which of you two plays the banjo?

Lol. I play the guitar and I can sing pretty good.

coaster

Quote from: MR. Spock on April 17, 2016, 05:51:05 PM
My biggest catfish was from my uncle's pond and it was a 5 lbs and it did put up a good fight too. My biggest rainbow trout was 3.5 lbs and i caught it near Big Pine Ca.
Nice sized trout.
Cats always put up a big fight. I had a cheap Ugly Stik rod once and was fishing for cats in middle of the night. Had a bell on the end of the pole. Heard it and ran. It took my pole right off the shore into the water. After about 30 minutes and soaking wet, I had a 30 pound cat.
Has anyone ever tried noodling? Its actually a lot of fun.

MR. Spock

Quote from: littlechris on April 17, 2016, 05:58:53 PM

That will be fun.  :D

littlechris

Quote from: MR. Spock on April 17, 2016, 05:59:36 PM
Lake Isabella starting to look better after the latest snow and rain that we got. The best spots at Lake Isabella is around Kernville and to the fishery. Downstream past the west side of the dam is ok. There still no water in the kern river in Bakersfield because most of the water is given to the farmers. I will be checking it out next weekend to give everyone an update.

AWESOME.

Please take pictures and share with the rest of us.

MR. Spock

Quote from: coaster on April 17, 2016, 06:00:30 PM
Nice sized trout.
Cats always put up a big fight. I had a cheap Ugly Stik rod once and was fishing for cats in middle of the night. Had a bell on the end of the pole. Heard it and ran. It took my pole right off the shore into the water. After about 30 minutes and soaking wet, I had a 30 pound cat.
Has anyone ever tried noodling? Its actually a lot of fun.
I know that a lot of people go noodling in Oklahoma but I have never tried it.

MR. Spock

coaster

Quote from: chefist on April 17, 2016, 05:58:45 PM
Actually camped there as a child...I remember an extremely strong wind storm that blew down our tent...
Another fishing story about Nebraska. Denton, Nebraska, lake Conestoga. We had storm rolling in but decided to go fishing anyway. Watched a tornado pass by on the other side of the lake. Came home with our catch and turned on the news. Tornado hit Denton. Pretty wild. I hope I can get back out there soon. Beautiful lake.