• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

My Coast Insider Cancellation Letter to C2C producers

Started by aldousburbank, February 16, 2011, 08:34:31 AM

Quote from: b_dubb on February 17, 2011, 01:29:18 AM
Strieber is just as moronic as George just better spoken

Night and day. Strieber spins creepy tales from everyday events. Noory makes the incredible sound pedestrian.

The General

Quote from: anagrammy on February 17, 2011, 12:03:35 AM
General, we hashed the idea of making Coast to Coast great again a long time ago  (I suggested it), but nobody was in favor.  At the time, I don't think I had a grasp on the depth of the problem.  That's why I think it's already evolving its own loyal fanbase of listeners who want to curl up on George Noory's lap and be petted while they purr, "It's an honor to be speaking to you Mr. Noory, such an honor...."    (sound of me puking).

God bless them- let them have him and they can share their mushbrain comments with each other.

We have a list of sponsors and phone numbers, all we need is a plan.  How about starting with a poll on who should be the new host and what should be the name of the new show?

Here's some suggestions I've read

Ian Punnet
George Knapp
Jason Bermas

What's the name of that guy with the super deep voice? Rob somebody...  let's collect some choices and throw it out there.

Anagrammy

I think you only read the red part of my post.
It's an exercise in futility.  Coast will never be great again.

aldousburbank

Quote from: The General on February 17, 2011, 11:39:08 AM
It's an exercise in futility.  Coast will never be great again.

Yes, I think you are right.  And yet, I wrote the following letter today to the Clear Channel geniuses at my local affiliate, or wherever they are, because who knows where these franchisees actually are cubicled.  An exercise in futility for sure and so as I clicked send, I wondered, "Am I just sending this as my personal little way of sticking one last firecracker up a dead dog's butt?"  (Man, this snoory thing really brings up the scatological  in me I must say.)  Answer:  Yes I am!

BTW- I conferred w/Michael V. on whether to include mention of CoastGab in my letter.  He recommended including the DMCA notice link, which I have done.  My actual real life, non super-hero name was included in the original.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
to   "lisacdollinger@clearchannel.com" <lisacdollinger@clearchannel.com>
cc   ChrisApostalides@clearchannel.com,
RochelleLang@clearchannel.com,
KimSeyller@clearchannel.com
date   Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM
subject   Coast To Coast AM w/George Noory

To Whom It May Concern,

I am a long-time listener to KNST 790 in Tucson, Arizona.  In particular, I enjoyed Coast To Coast AM, but I'm writing you to voice my opinion that the program as hosted by George Noory is not of the same consistent caliber or tone as the original program hosted by Art Bell and others.  The fact that C2C has lost it's luster and level of quality may or may not be reflected in your local (Tucson) audience rating estimates specifically, but I assure you that it there is a growing disgruntled community of former listeners, many of whom have chosen to create online talk program alternatives and at least one highly active forum. http://www.coastgab.com/index.php/topic,2236.0.html

In my opinion, there is a growing consensus among discriminating listeners in your audience who value quality programming and who know it when they hear it.

What I am suggesting is that some other alternative programming be considered for the late/overnight and that at a minimum, a replay of several hours is entirely unnecessary in most markets, and based on the quality of the programming, inadvisable.

Thank you for considering this opinion.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Max_TO on February 16, 2011, 04:34:17 PM
Great topic !
But having said that do you think that anything will happen as a result of this , or other streamlink cancelations ?

People, I am cross-linking the following thread here (hoping that's appropriate)- http://www.coastgab.com/index.php/topic,2302.msg34177.html#msg34177, in the "How To Best Throw George Under The Bus" thread.  It's my letter sent to Clear Channel suits today.  Perhaps this is a case of thread-merge now, Michael V.?  BTW, love your avatar but really miss the hair!

aldousburbank

Well this is nice...
-------------------------------------------
from   Public Relations <PublicRelations@clearchannel.com>
date   Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:38 PM
subject   RE: Coast To Coast AM w/George Noory

Hello,

Thank you very much for your email.  We greatly appreciate your feedback. I will forward your concerns to Clear Channel management for their review and consideration.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us.

Best Regards,

Julie

Julie Schorr
Executive Assistant to Lisa Dollinger
Chief Communications Officer
Clear Channel Communications, Inc.
Direct: 210.832.3348

Frankly, I am not a fan of drawing Corporate Attention to this site.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on February 17, 2011, 02:40:17 PM

I understand, really.  Clearly, in PM w/Michael V.,  it was concluded that since they had already requested the whole cease and desist thing with the mp3 postings on this forum, the link was to remind them that we are paying attention, they might want to also.  I know, it' almost moronic to think we would gain from it in any substantive way, since these suckers can only possibly see us as potential holdout ratings sources.  So having said this, with that pissing in the wind note to ClearChannel I now feel like I've matriculated from my place of angst about feeling ripped off.  I get now, that it was my choice to continue to try and listen and pay the monthly fee just in case a couple of decent shows happened.  I guess I'm not that bright...

Now, back to having fun!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on February 17, 2011, 02:40:17 PM
i wouldn't sweat it.  there is nothing wrong with encouraging people not to purchase a product.  it happens everyday, and premiere radio networks isn't immune to it.

anagrammy

Michael V -- Could you set up a stickynote spot with contact info for Clear Channel, Premier and the Sponsors.  And if you could add a little explanation of what the relationships are and, if you are feeling loquacious, a little history of who bought who.  I am sure all who venture thisaway will appreciate it.

Anagrammy

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: anagrammy on February 17, 2011, 11:16:07 PM
Michael V -- Could you set up a stickynote spot with contact info for Clear Channel, Premier and the Sponsors.  And if you could add a little explanation of what the relationships are and, if you are feeling loquacious, a little history of who bought who.  I am sure all who venture thisaway will appreciate it.

Anagrammy
it's a good idea, but i'm not sure when i would have time to dive into something of that nature.  if someone else wants to do it, i'll put it in a good spot.

aldousburbank

Quote from: anagrammy on February 16, 2011, 09:42:52 PM
I don't know about you, but I am not a child, nor am I senile.

Well, one out of two's not bad right?  That's almost 50%.

I was thinking though, What if all 1000+ of us gabbers and lurkers pitch in to buy George some kind of golden parachute, although some might think a shower more appropriate.  You know, a 2012 retirement tribute because I don't know about you, but if George hosts the December Solstice 2012 show, I think it might justifiably be the end of the world.  I mean what if you were the Nephilim, the great interplanetary Zorg, Xenu, the eschaton or whatever and you heard that drivel being broadcast at the precise and glorious moment of our solar system's celestial alignment?  You'd probably start spraying your can of cosmic Raid around and start the damn project all over!

So in an earnest attempt to head that kind of scene off at the pass, I'm willing to give, because that's the kind of good person that I am.  Let's see... I pledge to personally donate:

One English For Dummies book
The DVD box set of The Twilight Zone
One Denny's gift card, good for a full year of All-American Grand Slam Breakfast
An invite to Demonoid
A box of Skittles
Several 2 liter Fantas
My personal back issues of Readers Digest, large print version
A Hello Kitty kimono robe
A pair of fuzzy slippers

That's how much I love the guy.  What about you, any real givers out there who still have a heart, and care?

MV/Liberace!

i would send him a magic 8 ball which could be used as an equally entertaining/informative/accurate replacement guest when the phones drop or when a guest booking falls through.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: aldousburbank on February 16, 2011, 08:34:31 AM
I thought I'd start this thread in which any CoastGabbers who have yet to cancel (Why have we hung on this long?) their "Insider" subscription can share their Dear John letters with the rest of us.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear C2C,

I am (unfortunately) canceling my Coast Insider subscription because the show has gone from un-miss-able to un-listenable.  Although I do enjoy Ian's and George Knapp's hosting, I am convinced that the regular host does not exhibit the necessary skills for conducting an interview, critical thinking, or reading text in an intelligible manner.  Therefore, I do not feel that the approximately 8 entertaining programs per month provides sufficient value to justify the monthly subscription fee.  This is especially so when there are so many much more entertaining hosts and podcasts available online, many of them at no cost whatsoever.

Although I will likely will continue to listen to Ian's, and the other guest hosted shows via broadcast radio, I am sure that I am only one of many that will choose to leave the radio off during the week.

Best Wishes,

Aldous Burbank

The problem is that cancellations and cancellation letters like this probably trickle in at roughly the same pace that unsuspecting, new subscribers trickle in.  There would have to be an organized cancellation, en masse, to catch their attention.  Even then, old Nooron would probably come out unscathed.

Quote from: aldousburbank on February 16, 2011, 08:37:55 PM
Now that my firends, is some funny stuff!  How about Somewhere In Time 5 nights a week, then Michael V., RealCool Daddio, and folks of this nature take over on weekends?
Thanks for endorsement!  The local talk radio station used to run a "talk show idol" contest, with the winner getting the late night sunday spot.  If they run the contest again, I promise to enter.

Michael used to stream a show from this site called Radio Trainwreck.  I caught it a few times (in fact, the first time, when he was trying to get the phone lines working), and have encouraged him to give it a go again.  He promises to keep us posted if he does.

anagrammy

Here are my gifts for the George Noory goodbye nutgiftfest:

Rogets Thesaurus
The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy
A bag of marbles
Book "Radio Hosting for Dummies"

Anagrammy

b_dubb

i believe we could shorten that list to ...

bag of marbles

i wouldn't want to overwhelm the guy

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: anagrammy on February 24, 2011, 04:54:44 PM
Here are my gifts for the George Noory goodbye nutgiftfest:

Rogets Thesaurus
The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy
A bag of marbles
Book "Radio Hosting for Dummies"

Anagrammy
how about we just start with the basics:  "speaking for dummies"

Bart

Quote from: Max_TO on February 16, 2011, 05:49:18 PM
Who " owns " coast ? Who can we write or call that is more then some Georgy porgy door mat ?

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as "franchising or leasing" a show?  Maybe they make money FROM george that way with no risk if it fails.  I'm sure george is quite the businessman tho, thinking there will be no problem supporting the owners, the show expenses and his own salary.  Time eats away at misjudgements tho, so financial problems can accumulate and quickly swallow everything.  This idea makes more sense to me than that they actually OFFER him renewals. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: lasertron on April 15, 2011, 01:17:21 AM
I'm trying to get the courage to do it.
we will be there to support you.  promise.

this is but step one in a long process of recovery and reflection.