• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

Sardondi

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 15, 2012, 03:22:55 PMI caught the second hour of Wells' disastrous attempts to interact with a theoretical physicist on the universe and existence.  It was simply horrible.  He made Noory look like a world class interviewer.  C2C as entertainment/info for thoughtful people seems truly doomed.
I'm sorry to hear that, since I want to like Wells as a refreshing antidote to Simple George. (I like his voice - I know, stupid reason. Don't hate me.)

IMO with the retirement of Art Bell and the open-ended med leave/sabbatical of IP (does anyone else think this may be a face-saving way to let Ian go?) George Knapp is the only host left who can do a good job with complex subjects. But while he can, I think GK is leery of them, & maybe thinks they're audience killers. 

Then there's the balance problem for the bosses: how to keep shows interesting and challenging enough to attract a maximum # of listeners but simple and non-threatening enough to keep them listening in the sleepy, wee hours to all those lovely revenue-producing ads. Seems to me that the limitations of hosts and audience make complex & theoretical topics next to impossible to do well on CTC. Which makes me appreciate Art Bell's unique abilities and general excellence even more. 

Of course some of the great guests hardly need a host; Michio Kaku for example. And, loathe him or hate him, Richard Hoagland just needs to know there's a live microphone somewhere in the vicinity and he's off to the races, at least until you either cut his feed or tell him you have a sniper in a tower locked onto him & waiting for your word. But for the most part difficult concepts are usually poorly done.

Not to sound like a horse's ass, but I feel that most of the folks here would like to have more difficult and theoretical shows. Mainly because they're perhaps better read, maybe a little better educated, probably familiar with the subjects and even more capable of grasping them. After all, for most of us it's our frustration with Noory's doltishness, incompetence and intellectual limitations that brought us here in the first place. We need a higher level of discourse...even if it is from time to time more about ghosts, Bigfoot and UFOs than cosmology and eschatology. Hey, we can like the intellectual equivalent of Oreos and milk too, you know.

Jeez, I know how conceited and arrogant this must sound, and I really don't do this with any smug sense of superiority. I'm just stating what I think is a fact, that I've seen higher IQs here than I've heard coming out of the mouths of most CTC callers. And I like it. So sue me. Or call me an elitist arrogant ass & an IQ nazi and organize an internet version of a mob beatdown...it's happened before. 

Susan Foreman

Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I hate that mustachioed moron and what he's done to C2C.  I started to listen 15 years ago when I was very ill and began a series of 18 surgeries, (apropos only because it explains the inability to sleep and desperation for something interesting to take my mind off how I felt) it was a joy.
I was one of those kids who went straight from "In Search Of" and the odd ghost or crypto segment on "That's Incredible" to "Unsolved Mysteries" and "Sightings" I haunted (oh dear) the 133 section of every library I came into contact with, and my friends and I spent hours talking about anything odd.  I studied anthropology at uni, since there's nowt as queer as folk, and I revel in interesting.
Art Bell was interesting.  His guest were usually interesting, and when they weren't he either wrung interest out of them, or he went to unscreened open lines, which never disappointed.  I loved it all. He was smart, he was funny, he was open and thought provoking, and his love for what he values was palpable.  He was superb, just superb, and some days, waiting for the show got me through the day.  He gave me a lifeline, and helped me more than I can explain.  That sounds insane, but anyone who has had a similar situation in life (oh I hope you won't, if you haven't) will get what I mean.  The worst thing possible, I believe, is to have nothing to think about.
Then Dexter Monterray entered my life.  At first I thought it was okay.  Then I began to think differently.  Then, he lulled me back in to complacency again, but, my doubts resurfaced.  Eventually, I decided that it was either the heavy doses of percs, the progression of demonic infestation, some kind of time slip, or George Noory Sucked. 
Percocet is very powerful, causes unconsciousness, nausea and hallucinations, but those are also the side effects of George.
If Captain Howdy had a radio show I guarantee he'd be much smarter and more interesting than George, and probably in Latin.
There can't be somewhere in time that George could be from, in days past there were many more weapons and much less law enforcement, he'd never have made it.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.  I looked up improbable in the dictionary and "George Noory is a professional radio talk show host in the United States." was the example given.
The worst of all, for me, is that George actively promotes Not Thinking.
I'm sorry, this was a rant, but it's been building for a while now.  I've loved reading this site, and I've laughed until I cried.  I found kindred spirits.
Thanks, if you actually made it to the end of this, I owe you a Coke.

stevesh

Welcome to Coastgab.

Your experience is just like that of a lot of us (save the surgeries): found Art Bell through whatever mystery of life (in my case it was taking a part-time job delivering newspapers, so I was in the car from 1-5 AM), loved the show, suffered through the on-again, off-again ordeal of Art's 'retirements', endured all the guest hosts (I still can't think of Hilly Rose without throwing up in my mouth a little, but I liked Rollye James and we ended up with a more-or-less permanent Ian Punnett), tried to give Simple George a chance when he took over but finally had to concede defeat, admit that he terminally sucked, and abandon the show.

Now that Johhny Bravo has invaded Saturday night, the all-too-rare appearances of George Knapp  and Ian's once-a-month Sunday are the only shows worth listening to, which means if your schedule doesn't match the time the show is on, and you can't bring yourself to pay to be a 'Coast Insider' to listen to a couple of dozen shows a year - no C2C for you.

The real shame is that the market can't correct this aggravation, since Premiere owns so much of syndicated radio it's unlikely a competing show would ever gain enough traction to be successful.

Tara

Welcome Susan Foreman:  Love what you said so succinctly,  "George actively promotes non-thinking."  Most of the down and out and/or emotionally disturbed C2C listeners are in their respective positions because they spent a lifetime of non-thinking.  They'll be staying where they are if Noory is their guide.

I enjoy all the posts of brand new Coastgab members.   It's usually the same:  What has Noory done to C2C?  I miss AB, am I the only one who thinks this way? and then, ah, I'm one of many.

Galaga

John B. Wells sucks too. He belongs on NPR, assuming he belongs anywhere on radio.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Susan Foreman on January 16, 2012, 04:48:34 AM
Percocet is very powerful, causes unconsciousness, nausea and hallucinations, but those are also the side effects of George.

Welcome to coastgab, Susan.  You're among friends here, given this observation! 

fysisist

Given a choice, I'd just as soon get my unconsciousness, nausea and hallucinations from Percocet rather than Noory. 

JohnnieB

Can someone tell me how to upload photos?

I'm trying this - [IMG*] url link [IMG*] ...not working.

Zenof

I hope George is in LA when it happens... the thing involving the newly appointed son of the mad man

No for those of you who will read this and try to jail me in the future for conspiring with them I have no idea when/if it will happen but assumptions can be made about any future event

JohnnieB

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Hey Susan, welcome aboard. I'm new here myself. You'll find kindred spirits here in the 133 section of the internet.  ;)

Quote from: Susan Foreman on January 16, 2012, 04:48:34 AMThen Dexter Monterray entered my life. 

My God, that name sounds like a character off 'Days of Our Lives'. Bruce Goldberg is so full of shit.
What the hell kind of karma have we all accumulated to suffer through George in the year 2525?

Ben Shockley

Right on, Sardondi.  And no need for self-deprecation or apologies.  All I'd disgree with you about is:
Quote from: Sardondi on January 15, 2012, 11:55:01 PM
Then there's the balance problem for the bosses: how to keep shows interesting and challenging enough to attract a maximum # of listeners but simple and non-threatening enough to keep them listening in the sleepy, wee hours to all those lovely revenue-producing ads. Seems to me that the limitations of hosts and audience make complex & theoretical topics next to impossible to do well on CTC. Which makes me appreciate Art Bell's unique abilities and general excellence even more.
...because, see, with that, you assume that the present crappiness of "NoorCoast" is the natural state of affairs, into which Art Bell popped for a moment, and brought something special into the equation.
The fact is that Premier or whoever it was bought the show circa 2002 knew what they were getting; whatever revenue stream the show could generate with whatever Art was doing was obviously attractive enough for them to pay whatever they paid.  Art alone was not --could not be-- what "made" that version of the show work so well.
In other words, they have knowingly screwed up something that was working --"screwed up" at least in terms of keeping much of a thinking audience.
For our purposes here, that includes the mix of guests / topics -- plus the matter of call-screening.   No one is ever going to convince me that the present screening system isn't meant to keep out anyone with 6 functioning brain cells, and I have no idea how anyone expects that to "make the show better."
The issue of combining "interesting / challenging" and "simple / non-threatening" seem to me to be a host problem, not a topic problem.  A good, smart, engaged host can do a lot with even deep topics.
Look-- not every show and it's topics are for everyone.  You can't be all things to all (lowbrow) people, try though Georgie (and Premier?) may.

Plus~ the listening audience does not necessarily equal the sponsor-supporting audience.  As they plumb the depths of intellect and the extremes of socio-political fringiness in search of "more customers," I have to believe that they lose a lot of potential customers at the upper, uh~ less-flaky, end.  The large number of people who might grit their teeth and stay semi-regular listeners in hopes of the occasional worthwhile show aren't likely to be spending money on the stuff pushed via the doomsday ads -- nor, frankly, to even accept the worldview that a lot of "NoorCoast" advertisers seem to want to exploit.

And uh~ oh, yeah, Sardondi: no explanations necessary!

Sardondi

Quote from: Susan Foreman on January 16, 2012, 04:48:34 AM...I started to listen 15 years ago when I was very ill and began a series of 18 surgeries, (apropos only because it explains the inability to sleep and desperation for something interesting to take my mind off how I felt) it was a joy.

Heh. I'm also a post-surgical discoverer of CTC. But I'm not up to your heroic figures: I had 13 surgeries over 4 years, and spent many a sleepless night listening to CTC trying to distract my mind from pain. I began in 2003-4, when George came on occasionally to spell Art from back problems.

And I think you're on to something about the pain meds and CTC. On those occasions I was on narcotics after a surgery I was Mr. Love Everybody, and I thought George was fine - a sweet-natured, feel-good guy with a happy word for everyone, etc. But I realized later that I was also Mr. Stupid when I was on the pain meds, and off narcotics I did not like the things I had liked while I was on them...inlcuding Simple George.

So what if George's audience is made mostly of people on pain meds after surgery, chronic pain patients on narcotics, and, well, junkies? It goes a long way to explaining how people can stomach him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And Ben Shockley - thanks. I think you're absolutely right about the distinction between mere listeners and buyers, as well as how an excellent host can cure many guest/subject shortcomings. But the best one at that I've ever seen is somewhere in the Philippines I think, and he says he ain't ever coming back.

b_dubb

Quote from: JohnnieB on January 16, 2012, 02:58:03 PM
The Conspiracy Show With Richard Syrett: Trailer
syrett is also president of a covert group of Canadian metrosexuals (Consortium for A Better Canadian Haircut) who are trying to outlaw mullets.  their arch nemesis is of course the NHL which has been mullet friendly since sometime in the 1960's.  i think. 

Sardondi

Re tonight's show it's a real neck-and-neck race to see who has the lower IQ, George or 2nd-hour guest Paula Harris...but they're both giving it all they've got.

astroguy

I actually saw Paula Harris at a local UFO convention once.  It was right next to our SkeptiCamp :).  I peeked in and she was sitting, very lonely looking, at a table with many copies of her books, trying to sell them.

Sardondi

I was wrong about her name: it's "Paola" if I heard correctly.

astroguy

Quote from: Sardondi on January 17, 2012, 01:58:29 AM
I was wrong about her name: it's "Paola" if I heard correctly.

Quite right.  And because I can't modify my post after a microsecond from posting, I cannot correct it.

Zenof

Haha I love how they just rode noorys ass on the whole coincidence thing, more guests need to call him out on things ^.^

coaster

I figured I'd give tonight's show a chance because I haven't heard a ufo related show on coast in awhile. I quit listening after she said her dad was the most famous person in the world at one time.

valdez

Captain Kelly Sweeney on the Costa Concordia wreck.  I don't expect a lot from the world these days, with things changing, the abandonment of all morals, and all around general craziness, but some things are timeless, and I expect a captain to either be the last guy out, or go down with the ship.  Period.  Last week George told a caller he would do "two or three" more shows on the Mayan thing before December 21.  Yeah, right.  I predict he'll do about 75, beginning tonight with Steve Alten, talking about Mayans, and some god named Kubalakan, which reminded me of Kookala, Fran and Ollie, the old tv show.  What happened to them?  Paola Harris and Kim Arnold on ufos.  George played a tape of an old (1950's) interview with the guy who coined the phrase, "flying sauscers."  I dig original source historical documentation.

Francesco Schettino, captain of the Costa Concordia.
Francisco Schettino: una disgrazia di un capitano!

Avi

So that's what happened to Gopher (after he became a Congress-critter, I mean).

Jasmine

Hey JohnnieB, thanks so much for posting those Richard Syrett links, I enjoyed watching them. I live in New Hampshire, so hopefully I'll be able to catch his show. if not, I'll download the links. Don't know why your posted links were removed from this thread - I guess there's no room here for anything else but the Snoory ranting and raving. Although, Richard certainly doesn't belong on the same sub-basement level as Georgie boy.

Quote from: b_dubb on January 16, 2012, 08:31:54 PM
syrett is also president of a covert group of Canadian metrosexuals (Consortium for A Better Canadian Haircut) who are trying to outlaw mullets.  their arch nemesis is of course the NHL which has been mullet friendly since sometime in the 1960's.  i think. 

Hey, don't knock our wonderful neighbors to the north, we're not exactly all that down here. True, Richard the Canuck may have Metrosexual moussed hair going on there (and, wowza!) but at least he can form a proper sentence and string together a coherent line of thought! I think he rocks. As for the NHL, I may live in NH, but I'm an avid Montreal Canadiens fan girl!

I tuned into C2C the other night, and was tortured by the banal conversation between George and that damn Mary Ann Winkowski, who admittedly is sweet, but definitely is a few fries short of a McDonald's Happy Meal. She was peddling her latest book entitled 'Recipes From The Dead'. Uh huh. Mary Ann, in that annoying, nasal, Hooterville voice, was going on an on about receiving psychic messages from carnate beings. Her "cookbook of the dead" is filled with delicious appetizers, entrees and desserts. One can only imagine: "Mary Ann! It's Naomi here! I can't possibly go into the light and be at peace until I pass on my mama's cabbage roll recipe! It's to DIE FOR! Do you come in? Over!"

What killed me (pardon the pun) was that she repeatedly made references to reincarnation. After a few minutes, ole Georgie boy pipes up with this: "Mary Ann. I gotta ask you this. Do you believe in reincarnation?" *GROAN* And off went my radio.

I can only think of the title of that old Jane Fonda film, 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?'

Jasmine

Quote from: valdez on January 17, 2012, 05:57:08 AM
Captain Kelly Sweeney on the Costa Concordia wreck.  I don't expect a lot from the world these days, with things changing, the abandonment of all morals, and all around general craziness, but some things are timeless, and I expect a captain to either be the last guy out, or go down with the ship.  Period.
Francesco Schettino, captain of the Costa Concordia.

This Italiano el-Capitaino reminds me of the numerous Italian Casanovas who repeatedly harassed
my girlfriends and I when we were in Rome last year. They thought they were God's gift to women. Please!  I hope they throw the book at this guy for the horror and death he inflicted on his passengers and crew. Apparently, he abandoned ship well before most of the passengers, and the Italian Coast Guard repeatedly warned him to get back aboard...he didn't want to. Nice. Nice.

Quote from: Zenof on January 17, 2012, 02:45:17 AM
Haha I love how they just rode noorys ass on the whole coincidence thing, more guests need to call him out on things ^.^

Damn, I missed that. Can someone fill me in on what transpired?

Sardondi

Quote from: Jasmine on January 17, 2012, 09:48:52 AM...One can only imagine: "Mary Ann! It's Naomi here! I can't possibly go into the light and be at peace until I pass on my mama's cabbage roll recipe! It's to DIE FOR! Do you come in? Over!"......

"Do you come in? Over!"....mmwwwaAAAAAHAAHAAHAAAA!!

Thanks, Jas.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Jasmine on January 17, 2012, 09:48:52 AM
She was peddling her latest book entitled 'Recipes From The Dead'.
Just seeing that book title in the Friday promo creeped me out.  Never even turned the Friday show on.  I  knew I'd be gravely disappointed in what GN would do with Friday the 13th.

Zenof

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 17, 2012, 11:46:24 AM
Just seeing that book title in the Friday promo creeped me out.  Never even turned the Friday show on.  I  knew I'd be gravely disappointed in what GN would do with Friday the 13th.
Be glad you didn't, Snoory "joked" about changing the name of the show... He didn't say it was a joke on the air, but when I rung his ass via email he said he was joking... I don't think he was joking...

Quote from: Jasmine on January 17, 2012, 09:48:52 AM
... She was peddling her latest book entitled 'Recipes From The Dead'...

I didn't even know Phil and Jerry and Bobby cooked...

Jasmine

Coast to Coast with George Noory equates a Prefrontal Radio Lobotomy: Surgical interruption of nerve tracts to and from the frontal lobe of the brain; often results in marked cognitive and personality changes of the listener.

Or,

Transorbital Lobotomy: A method of performing a prefrontal lobotomy in which the Coast to Coast radio signal is inserted above the eyeball and moved to cut brain fibers.

Morgus

Quote from: Zenof on January 17, 2012, 01:54:44 PMSnoory "joked" about changing the name of the show...
that was when he got a bunch of international callers and thought that Coast to Coast AM was outdated now.
perhaps it should be called Continent to Continent AM until he starts getting calls from outer space?  :o

Zenof

Quote from: Morgus on January 17, 2012, 04:06:22 PM
that was when he got a bunch of international callers and thought that Coast to Coast AM was outdated now.
perhaps it should be called Continent to Continent AM until he starts getting calls from outer space?  :o
Well like UFO Phil sang, call in with your space transmitter or your telephone