• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Braunschweiger Talk/Rate the Braunschweiger

Started by pate, October 11, 2018, 01:44:10 PM

pate

I developed a taste for Braunschweiger in Germany.  Damn that stuff is good, it is like a meat butter you put on toast for breakfast, or whenever.  I love me some meat spreads, pates, headcheese etc.  Braunschweiger is awesome in Germany, but somewhat lacking here in the States if it can even be found.  I saw an Oscar Mayer Braunschweiger at the grocery store and made the mistake of purchasing it, awful.  Oscar Mayer gets an F.  Deutches Fleischerie WUNDERBAR.

Anyone else ever tried this spreadable meat miracle and found a decent American version?  Coz I haint.

Jackstar

You're gonna have to import it. Worth any tariff. I've checked.

pate

Perhaps I should do the evil Bene Gesseritt trick of plans within plans within plans and ask the cat ladies for a recipe?

I can attempt to turn this place into a recipe and catpic site or something.

Does anyone have access to the Nazi wunderwaffe recipe for Braunschweiger?  I must have this secret!

I have random chunks of pork in the freezer and a food processor, surely that and some spices are all that would be required... hmm.

http://recipegoldmine.com/worldgerman/braunschweiger.html

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/braunschweiger

The second one looks interesting, I like marjoram and nutmeg.

I think making my own in the absence of a suitable American product might be more economical that the import idea...

Jackstar

Quote from: pate on October 11, 2018, 02:07:41 PM
I can attempt to turn this place into a recipe and catpic site or something.

Wouldn't you rather discuss the mysterious absence of research at public universities into anti-gravitic technologies? I feel like the cat thing is played out.

pate

I see your anti-gravity and raise you a magnetic mono-pole, sir.

I would like to see your theoretical workings on the basis that anti-gravity is a property that might exist.

Magnetic monopoles if ever found, might be instrumental.  You'll have to ask GravitySucks for moar details on magnetic monopoles, though.

I suspect he would pooh-pooh and hand-wave both concepts away, however.

And just to keep it topical, the magnetic mono-poles might be instrumental in the creation of a softer creamier Braunschweiger in a low/zero-g environment.  I do see where you are going with the anti-grav, sir.

Intriguing, but I like to keep my foods old skool.  Also a no-go on lab-grown Braunschweiger, perhaps for the proles, but not to pass my lips.  Thankee!

pate

Metroid, I don't think liverwurst is exactly the same as Braunschweiger, couldn't say never ate any, it looks like a bologna/salami type thing.  Is liverwurst soft and spreadable with a knife? Could it be eaten with a spoon in a manner similar to how the truly enlightened consume mayonnaise?

I will try to find and sample your Boar's Head liverwurst, aren't they just a fancy and expensive Oscar Mayer essentially?  I think I have seen/heard commercials for various Boar's Head meats...

I did see this stuff one time at the grocery store and didn't immediately buy it:

https://frickmeats.com/our-meats/braunschweiger/

THey appear to be localish, Not Sure where Washington, MO is... I guess I need to get to Goggling...

Asuka Langley

Head Cheese Loaf is great you would never think cow lips and pig buttholes would taste so good but they do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUpa-L7Y2W4

pate

Head cheese LOAF?  I am talking meat-spread here.  Spreadable meat, mmm...  Head Cheese, the one where you simmer a pig head for hours until it melts then pick out the bones and refrigerate it into a meat-jello, yes.  But to somehow turn that into a loaf, as if it could be sliced?  Sacreliege!

I just want to type the words "Spreadable Meat" again.

Head Cheese Loaf sounds more like "Tubular Meat."  When discussing those it is important to know if they are HOT Tubular Meats or COLD Tubular Meats.

No Kousin Al, I think you miss the thread subject, Braunschweiger is most certainly a Spreadable Meat.

Spreadable Meat, laddies and gentlemen.  Lettuce stay on topic!

ediot: I also want to type the words "Meat Spread" again, thankee

Asuka Langley

Quote from: pate on October 11, 2018, 11:08:58 PM
Head cheese LOAF?  I am talking meat-spread here.  Spreadable meat, mmm...  Head Cheese, the one where you simmer a pig head for hours until it melts then pick out the bones and refrigerate it into a meat-jello, yes.  But to somehow turn that into a loaf, as if it could be sliced?  Sacreliege!

I just want to type the words "Spreadable Meat" again.

Head Cheese Loaf sounds more like "Tubular Meat."  When discussing those it is important to know if they are HOT Tubular Meats or COLD Tubular Meats.

No Kousin Al, I think you miss the thread subject, Braunschweiger is most certainly a Spreadable Meat.

Spreadable Meat, laddies and gentlemen.  Lettuce stay on topic!

ediot: I also want to type the words "Meat Spread" again, thankee

I am not a butcher but i think the loaf has at meat by-products from at least 4 animals. And you could probably spread it if you put it in a blender first.

pate

I think the true Braunschweiger involves pork liver, and maybe pork blood?

Not sure.  I do know there was a delicious hot tubular meat that had a Braunschweiger-like texture that I ate one time down in LA bayou-country.  It was served hot and you would bit the end off the sausage casing and sort of squeeze the hot almost peanut butter consistency contents into your mouth, you would throw the casing away after you squeezed all the hot Spreadable Meat out...

I wonder what that stuff was, it was damn good.

GravitySucks

Quote from: pate on October 11, 2018, 11:28:46 PM
I think the true Braunschweiger involves pork liver, and maybe pork blood?

Not sure.  I do know there was a delicious hot tubular meat that had a Braunschweiger-like texture that I ate one time down in LA bayou-country.  It was served hot and you would bit the end off the sausage casing and sort of squeeze the hot almost peanut butter consistency contents into your mouth, you would throw the casing away after you squeezed all the hot Spreadable Meat out...

I wonder what that stuff was, it was damn good.

Boudin.  More rice than meat though.

ItsOver

Quote from: pate on October 11, 2018, 01:44:10 PM
I developed a taste for Braunschweiger in Germany.  Damn that stuff is good, it is like a meat butter you put on toast for breakfast, or whenever.  I love me some meat spreads, pates, headcheese etc.  Braunschweiger is awesome in Germany, but somewhat lacking here in the States if it can even be found.  I saw an Oscar Mayer Braunschweiger at the grocery store and made the mistake of purchasing it, awful.  Oscar Mayer gets an F.  Deutches Fleischerie WUNDERBAR.

Anyone else ever tried this spreadable meat miracle and found a decent American version?  Coz I haint.
You might try checking out some area with a German ancestry/ tradition.  Queen City in Cincinnati has some darn good stuff and it looks like they have Braunschweiger.  I can't say I've ever tried it, though.  I'm more a Metts and Brats guy.

https://www.queencitysausage.com/index.php/article/about-us/

Here's where their Branschweiger is listed.
https://www.queencitysausage.com/index.php/products/page-2/

Jackstar

Quote from: ItsOver on October 12, 2018, 04:53:38 AM
You might try checking out some area with a German ancestry/ tradition.

Quote from: Jackstar on October 11, 2018, 01:56:13 PM
You're gonna have to import it. Worth any tariff. I've checked.

This guy gets it.

Metron2267

Quote from: pate on October 11, 2018, 10:52:28 PM
Metroid, I don't think liverwurst is exactly the same as Braunschweiger, couldn't say never ate any, it looks like a bologna/salami type thing.  Is liverwurst soft and spreadable with a knife? Could it be eaten with a spoon in a manner similar to how the truly enlightened consume mayonnaise?

Yes, yes, and yes:

However, we have Americanized it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braunschweiger_(sausage)

Braunschweiger (named after Braunschweig, Germany) is the name for several types of sausages in different regions. In the German language, Braunschweiger is the demonym for people from Brunswick (German name, Braunschweig), but under German food law refers to a variety of mettwurst.[1] In Austria, Braunschweiger is known as a type of parboiled sausage (Brühwurst), while American Braunschweiger is often confused with liverwurst.[2]

QuoteI will try to find and sample your Boar's Head liverwurst, aren't they just a fancy and expensive Oscar Mayer essentially?  I think I have seen/heard commercials for various Boar's Head meats...

https://boarshead.com/products/bolognas-wursts-loaves/342-small-lite-braunschweiger-liverwurst

Made in the German way with pork and select spices, this smooth blend is a lighter take on a classic. Boar’s Head Lite Braunschweiger Liverwurst delivers all of the taste with less fat and fewer calories per slice.

https://boarshead.com/products/bolognas-wursts-loaves/314-strassburger-brand-liverwurst

Made with select cuts of pork and crafted using a traditional recipe from Straßburg, Austria, this tasty blend comes in a natural casing. Boar’s Head Strassburger Liverwurst has a rich, authentic taste and smooth texture.

QuoteI did see this stuff one time at the grocery store and didn't immediately buy it:

https://frickmeats.com/our-meats/braunschweiger/

THey appear to be localish, Not Sure where Washington, MO is... I guess I need to get to Goggling...

That one's new to me.

I just know the Boar's Head brand has a far superior taste/texture to the more mass market Jones product.

I feel you will not be let down. ;)

pate

I went on a supply run to the neighborhood grocery store yesterday, I needed some missing items to make a jambalaya recipe I've been messing with trying to un-gummify the rice <-- that story for another thread.

On a lark I decided to go by the pork sausage section and lo there was the very Frick's Braunschweiger I was talking about earlier.  I think it was $2.89 for a 1lb tube.  So I grabbed it and went to the bread isle to see if there might be a pumpernickel loaf on sale, I remember eating the stuff on black rye in Deutschland...

[attachment=1]

I settled on a Brooklyn Rye, I figured that would be close enough in a flavor profile, so I tried it out this morning with a fresh but gnarly looking tomato from the garden.

[attachment=2]

First I conducted an animal food trial to make sure it was safe for human consumption, and I have this new puppy that hasn't figured out how to consistently pee and poop outside, so I figured if it killed him, no big deal:

[attachment=4]

It was puppy approved!

[attachment=5]

After I tried it I was a bit upset that I wasted it on the puppy.  My memory may be suspect, but this stuff was delicious.  As far as I can tell it tasted like the German stuff I had for breakfast fairly often.  I do recall the German version I had being a bit darker and less pink.

[attachment=3]

I am recommending Frick's;  damn good.  Package says to consume within 5 days of opening, I don't think I will have a problem accomplishing that.

K_Dubb

That tomato looks delicious, congratulations!  In its absence, I have always enjoyed the various liver pastes with sweet pickles.

pate

Hmm, as I recall at the French place I used to sous-chef at we put some cornichons on our Liver Pate plate.  I just happen to have some "cornichons" from last year or the year before that I haven't opened yet, if I run out of fresh garden tomatos which is likely as I have tons of green ones but not too many ripe one with this cold snap and imminent freeze...

I bet (if my home-made cornichons don't suck) they'd go good with that Braunschweiger.  I think I have some other sweet pickles besides the "cornichons" as well.  I will have to dig around.

Thanks, m'Kay_Dubb!

K_Dubb

Oh homemade cornichons would be ideal!  Yes, that's the classic French accompaniment, though I'm sure my grandma from whom I learned it had never been to a French restaurant in her life 

The Polish deli near where I used to work made their own liver sausage similar in texture to Braunschweiger and would serve thick slices on sandwiches with thinly sliced raw onion, also delicious.  They were suspicious when I requested pickles, however -- some sort of cultural divide had been crossed.

pate

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 13, 2018, 02:25:19 PM
Oh homemade cornichons would be ideal!  Yes, that's the classic French accompaniment, though I'm sure my grandma from whom I learned it had never been to a French restaurant in her life 

The Polish deli near where I used to work made their own liver sausage similar in texture to Braunschweiger and would serve thick slices on sandwiches with thinly sliced raw onion, also delicious.  They were suspicious when I requested pickles, however -- some sort of cultural divide had been crossed.

I am going to guess that the modest cucumber doesn't grow that well in Poland?  Onions probably in abundance, can't be bothered to research this.  Hmm, a rye Braunshcweiger sandy with white onion, tomato and sweet pickle.. that sounds like lunch!

K_Dubb

Quote from: pate on October 13, 2018, 02:32:22 PM
I am going to guess that the modest cucumber doesn't grow that well in Poland?  Onions probably in abundance, can't be bothered to research this.  Hmm, a rye Braunshcweiger sandy with white onion, tomato and sweet pickle.. that sounds like lunch!

Grandma used to grow cucumbers in cold frames here, so you're probably right.  Bon appetit!