• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Larry King Show

Started by Art_s Farts, December 19, 2015, 02:58:27 PM

Art_s Farts

Does anyone know where I can find recordings of Larry King's old radio show. Before Art, I used to listen to Larry King every night. This would have been around 1984-1989. His show was very similar to Art's. The first hour would be a guest, followed by 2 hours of the guest taking calls from listeners. The last 2.5 hours were called "Open Phone America" and he would take calls on any and all topics, very much like Art's open lines. If anyone has any links or info I would appreciate it. I recently acquired most of Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story" and would like to add some Larry King to my mix, which also includes Art and Phil Hendrie. 

Quote from: Art_s Farts on December 19, 2015, 02:58:27 PM
Does anyone know where I can find recordings of Larry King's old radio show. Before Art, I used to listen to Larry King every night. This would have been around 1984-1989. His show was very similar to Art's. The first hour would be a guest, followed by 2 hours of the guest taking calls from listeners. The last 2.5 hours were called "Open Phone America" and he would take calls on any and all topics, very much like Art's open lines. If anyone has any links or info I would appreciate it. I recently acquired most of Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story" and would like to add some Larry King to my mix, which also includes Art and Phil Hendrie.

Wish I could help, because I listened to him all the time in the early eighties and enjoyed his show a lot.  It's a shame he gave it up for CNN and shallow, borderline sycophantic interviews with celebs and hack politicians.  I wish he'd come back to radio, because that's what he does best.  Good luck with your search!

Art_s Farts

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 19, 2015, 03:24:30 PM
Wish I could help, because I listened to him all the time in the early eighties and enjoyed his show a lot.  It's a shame he gave it up for CNN and shallow, borderline sycophantic interviews with celebs and hack politicians.  I wish he'd come back to radio, because that's what he does best.  Good luck with your search!

Thanks and I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. His CNN show was a pale comparison to his old radio show. When I say he is one of my favorite interviewers, people assume I am basing my judgement on his TV program and think I'm crazy. Not a lot of people remember his old show on the real Mutual Broadcasting System.   

Ciardelo

Quote from: Art_s Farts on December 19, 2015, 03:49:13 PM
Thanks and I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. His CNN show was a pale comparison to his old radio show. When I say he is one of my favorite interviewers, people assume I am basing my judgement on his TV program and think I'm crazy. Not a lot of people remember his old show on the real Mutual Broadcasting Network.
Count me in as one of the old time listeners. Too bad we didn't have the internet to make a jimbohannonsucks.com site.

I collect OTR but I have slowed down lately because if I started listening today to all that I have, most likely Christ will have come back and left again before they all play.

But I used to be around some Yahoo group (are they still a thing?) Also there are a couple of OTR groups on usenet. They seem to have slowed down quite a bit too, but you could put a shout out there. Might want to try the site http://www.oldradio.net/ I'm on their listserv and it seems to still be around.

If you get lucky, please post back. I'd like to add it to the pile.

onan

Quote from: Art_s Farts on December 19, 2015, 03:49:13 PM
Thanks and I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. His CNN show was a pale comparison to his old radio show. When I say he is one of my favorite interviewers, people assume I am basing my judgement on his TV program and think I'm crazy. Not a lot of people remember his old show on the real Mutual Broadcasting System.

I remember his old show, his ice cream story, and a few others. I didn't think he was a great host. But I always chalked it up to being late night radio.

albrecht

I never was into Larry King but see that, apparently, he is working for RT now. :o I miss Bruce Williams and Jerry Williams and Art Bell. Locally, for now, we still have a good AM station with local hosts though they are changing the format somewhat (bringing in the "FM" guys onto the AM and a changing of the guard.) Lots of good OTR found at archive.org though not sure about 'talk' radio- though "America's Town Meeting of the Air" is sorta, and a good, interesting show.

Ciardelo

Bruce Williams was carried here for years. I like Clark Howard too but our local station has totally jacked up the time he is on for me.

I did follow Bruce over to his foray into internet/podcasting. But to me he seemed to be really slowing down so I didn't keep any of those shows.

I just took a quick look at http://brucewilliams.com/ which seems to be a way to find some of his old shows...to bad these guys can't just go on forever.

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 19, 2015, 04:07:53 PM
Count me in as one of the old time listeners. Too bad we didn't have the internet to make a jimbohannonsucks.com site.

;D No kidding!

QuoteI collect OTR but I have slowed down lately because if I started listening today to all that I have, most likely Christ will have come back and left again before they all play.

Have you heard this station?  He has an outstanding and diverse selection covering just about every genre.  Whenever possible, each day he airs episodes that were originally broadcast on the same date, which is a nice touch.

http://radio.macinmind.com

[/quote]

Ciardelo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 19, 2015, 07:59:21 PM
;D No kidding!

Have you heard this station?  He has an outstanding and diverse selection covering just about every genre.  Whenever possible, each day he airs episodes that were originally broadcast on the same date, which is a nice touch.

http://radio.macinmind.com
I'll go check it out. We have a local OTR show that airs just on Sundays for 3 hours and he tries to mach the dates too--it's kind of a neat touch--Thank you!

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 19, 2015, 08:03:07 PM
I'll go check it out. We have a local OTR show that airs just on Sundays for 3 hours and he tries to mach the dates too--it's kind of a neat touch--Thank you!

Glad to help!  This guy is an avid collector and has enough to run 24/7 with replays of certain shows every day.  He's also in his late thirties rather than a senior citizen from what I've gathered, so his station should be around for a long time.  Enjoy!

Ciardelo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 19, 2015, 08:23:18 PM
Glad to help!  This guy is an avid collector and has enough to run 24/7 with replays of certain shows every day.  He's also in his late thirties rather than a senior citizen from what I've gathered, so his station should be around for a long time.  Enjoy!
I have been listening off and on (mostly on) since last night. I like the variety I took a break last night to watch a couple of movies and hear Vara's rant but I like it.

When I started last night I caught the tail end of something then those freakin Cinnamon Bears started. lol I think I might have most or all of them somewhere but who knows where? I was going to switch it off but I thought I needed to hear something light after all this drama around here. So I suffered through them. :)

I enjoy too the curated aspect of the shows. It's nice to let it play and see what comes up  :D

Thanks again.

briantroutman

Quote from: Art_s Farts on December 19, 2015, 02:58:27 PM
Does anyone know where I can find recordings of Larry King's old radio show.

In the early ’80s, C-SPAN cameras sat in on Larry King’s Mutual show a few times, and since C-SPAN catalogs a great deal of their video content, those shows are available to watch in their archives. (Here’s one, for example: http://www.c-span.org/video/?124083-1/larry-king-show). They also have many more of his successor, Jim Bohannon, although he’s still on the air today.

Larry King and Bruce Williams were the first two talk shows I started listening to as a four-year-old (!) in the late ’80s. Bruce’s show was in nearly continuous operation from the start NBC Talknet in 1981 until about 2008 when it was being carried on a shoestring network called Lifestyle Talk Radio. He came back with his own self-funded live Internet-only show in 2012, but by spring 2013, he decided the operation was losing too much money, and he decided to pull the plug. Through all those years, his delivery and mannerisms were virtually unchangedâ€"the only difference being that in his glory days, his show was non-stop calls, but as he lost affiliates (and therefore callers) in later years, he’d talk more about the economy, politics, and news items that caught his eye.

Anyway, all of the 2012-2013 podcasts are still available for download, and since Lifestyle Talk Radio was podcasting his radio episodes in the mid to late 2000s, I’m sure those last years of radio shows are floating around out there somewhere. I don’t have a complete collection, but I do have several weeks’ worth laying around on various drives.

Art_s Farts

Many thanks to all who provided links and other helpful info. 

Art_s Farts

Quote from: briantroutman on December 20, 2015, 04:15:03 PM
In the early ’80s, C-SPAN cameras sat in on Larry King’s Mutual show a few times, and since C-SPAN catalogs a great deal of their video content, those shows are available to watch in their archives. (Here’s one, for example: http://www.c-span.org/video/?124083-1/larry-king-show). They also have many more of his successor, Jim Bohannon, although he’s still on the air today.

Larry King and Bruce Williams were the first two talk shows I started listening to as a four-year-old (!) in the late ’80s. Bruce’s show was in nearly continuous operation from the start NBC Talknet in 1981 until about 2008 when it was being carried on a shoestring network called Lifestyle Talk Radio. He came back with his own self-funded live Internet-only show in 2012, but by spring 2013, he decided the operation was losing too much money, and he decided to pull the plug. Through all those years, his delivery and mannerisms were virtually unchangedâ€"the only difference being that in his glory days, his show was non-stop calls, but as he lost affiliates (and therefore callers) in later years, he’d talk more about the economy, politics, and news items that caught his eye.

Anyway, all of the 2012-2013 podcasts are still available for download, and since Lifestyle Talk Radio was podcasting his radio episodes in the mid to late 2000s, I’m sure those last years of radio shows are floating around out there somewhere. I don’t have a complete collection, but I do have several weeks’ worth laying around on various drives.

I was a young teenager myself. I listened to a local sports call-in show, and Larry King came on immediately afterwards and that is how I started listening.

ChairSpud

Wish I could help but had to say oh man your post brings back memories! and I'd love to hear Larry King's shows again too so am anxious to check out any King the links. I grew up in NY in the 50's so radio is in my blood and in the 60's would listen to Jean Shepherd, Bob and Ray Mary Noble Backstage wife and later long John Nebel late at night, it's so long ago, what great radio we had. Jean Shepherd is streaming live on the Insomnia channel if anyone's interested. CBS Radio Mystery Theater was my staple until it went off the air (that's available streaming too) and then in the 80's Larry King kept me up late too many nights. The wife hated the radio under the pillow and eventually moved to another bedroom. When Larry left for CNN Jim Bohannon filled in uhh but was like the Nooray or Segal of the time. Then when Art Bell went national it was great late night radio again for many years. Sorry if I bored anyone but I just love this stuff and would love to hear Larry again!

ChairSpud

Maybe this might help, this is where I often go to find the good stuff but am not very good at searching it, maybe someone else will with more patience may have better luck and share their results. Best I could find is Larry's old CNN shows and some audio stuff.

https://archive.org

pate

His old ball-sacj ubterrypted search criteria.

Old shit busy gettu... boink... thyme's yuck (billions)m n'deed, I t'uhh...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovntV3ZMDc

starramus

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 19, 2015, 03:24:30 PM

He has a show on RT (Russia Today) now.  Some of the better programming today one must get out of Moscow. What a turn around eh? There are some videos on youtube of his CNN show. You might enjoy his interview of Travis Walton from the CNN days.  https://youtu.be/6G1LTErasps I doubt any recordings of the old radio show exist, but i could be wrong.