• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Darth Pikachu

I hate it when old farts ramble on and on and on and on...

AZZERAE

What's with her putting on this deep voice the whole time?

Nobody

Quote from: JesusJuice on June 04, 2016, 12:10:44 AM
$90 for this!  :P

$90 for a good radio is worth it, but the Skywave does not appear to be built to last:

1.0 out of 5 stars

Incredible Reception, Sensitive, Selective, JUNK construction and components. SO SAD!
By Marlingspiker on February 9, 2015

Verified Purchase

UPDATE: Unfortunately the radio failed rapidly. Two of the buttons stayed completely pressed and would not return to the ready position. A quick view inside revealed that a thin "foam" like sheet is used to add spring tension to the buttons. In fact upon opening the radio I discovered what a complete cheap piece of JUNK it actually is.

Reception: on all freqs, AWESOME

Construction: Overall quality and quality of components, switches, buttons, knobs, etc. ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!

That does not sound like a radio I would want to pay $90 for. :(

Nobody

Quote from: Darth Pikachu on June 04, 2016, 12:19:54 AM
I hate it when old farts ramble on and on and on and on...

Any radio host worthy of the name does not allow that to happen.

Nobody

Heather: Everyone has something to offer.

One of these days, do you think you might get around to offering us a good radio programme, Heather?  A lot of your listeners who have been hanging on for months waiting for one would like that.

Quote from: JesusJuice on June 04, 2016, 12:10:44 AM
$90 for this!  :P

Doubtless Crane has went downhill in the last few years, as has everything else, but their high end offerings in the early 2000s were great.

Cosmic Dust

Quote from: BelgianCarbonFibre on June 04, 2016, 01:36:03 AM
Doubtless Crane has went downhill in the last few years, as has everything else, but their high end offerings in the early 2000s were great.
Still have my Baygen Solar/Crank Radio from the Y2K days.

ge30542

Quote from: JesusJuice on June 03, 2016, 10:42:41 PM
Wait? The caller says he became a homosexual after he was abducted by aliens?
What?  That's how it happened to me too.

dan7800

For the record, I think Heather is doing ok (not great), but is still Far better than Dave, which isn't hard to do.

People complain about Dave all the time and about the mistakes he makes on his show. My question for them has always been why do they waste their time listening to a show they think sucks so bad?

For all the people incessantly complaining about Heather: Why do you keep listening?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: dan7800 on June 04, 2016, 07:56:44 AM
For the record, I think Heather is doing ok (not great), but is still Far better than Dave, which isn't hard to do.

People complain about Dave all the time and about the mistakes he makes on his show. My question for them has always been why do they waste their time listening to a show they think sucks so bad?

For all the people incessantly complaining about Heather: Why do you keep listening?

Because even though her show often sucks Bellgab is still entertaining. I still listen but wouldn't we're it not for Bellgab. Many Bellgabbers don't listen anymore but will just ask others how bad the show is. I'll admit that she's had some better guests on lately but her interviewing still leaves much to desire. If she was interviewing guests with more of the Bellgab mind she had as a poster here it might not be so bad but she had to 180 it because she's one of the beautiful people now...and they try to never challenge or offend one another. What a deal with the devil. Sure, you can have everything you've ever wanted, Heather...but you'll have to become the exact opposite of who you really are to get it.  :P

K_Dubb

She's still more interesting than George, though not for any reason she'd appreciate.  I keep waiting for her to find the subject she can talk about (or not talk about, and just let the guest talk) with the same unforced warmth with which she talks about her cat.

I'm guessing her show prep involves researching the guest's topic.  Instead of trying to impress the guest, she'd be better off acting the part of an interested novice.  I don't know how many interesting digressions she's thwarted just to show she's done her homework.

boxman

As much as I think Dave sucks he still manages to make more entertaining radio than Heather does.

And by the way I only listen to her a few times a month now out of curiosity or while waiting for OSOM and even then most of the time I get so bored or annoyed that I have to turn off the stream.
She is truly one of the worst radio hosts I have ever come across and instead of improving she has actually gotten progressively worse after she desperately tried more and more to copy Art in the way she talks.

Robert

Quote from: K_Dubb on June 04, 2016, 01:07:19 PMI'm guessing her show prep involves researching the guest's topic.  Instead of trying to impress the guest, she'd be better off acting the part of an interested novice.  I don't know how many interesting digressions she's thwarted just to show she's done her homework.
Exactly!  I haven't listened in a month because of my Windows problem, but it seems she wants to show she's the opposite of Noory.  "Interested novice" is what most of us are, so ask the questions that most of us would, because few can get in via phone or Skype.  The purpose of researching the topic is not to show us what you know or to impress the interviewee, but just in case the interviewee either makes a remark severely at odds with what you know, or glaringly omits a part of the subject matter.  Ms. Wade was like, oh, all that prep wasted if I can't demonstrate to the listeners what I know about this!  They'll think I'm unprepared like Jorch!  I'm sure they prefer to listen to the more informed interviewer, so I better show it or the show loses to the competition!

Mr. Bell would occasionally pull out something he knows to show his guest couldn't pull a fast one on him or the listeners.  You don't play your cards unless you need to.

boxman

Quote from: K_Dubb on June 04, 2016, 01:07:19 PM
I'm guessing her show prep involves researching the guest's topic.  Instead of trying to impress the guest, she'd be better off acting the part of an interested novice.  I don't know how many interesting digressions she's thwarted just to show she's done her homework.
Just shows again that she is trying to copy Art except she takes it to the extreme by constantly interrupting he guest so she can prove she knows what he/she is talking about.

Firefighter

Quote from: Nobody on June 04, 2016, 12:05:46 AM
Heather: We're on very select stations right now. ::)

Translation: No one wants to pick up the show and the only stations carrying it are the ones who haven't actually listened to it.

I'd be interested to know if any stations have dropped the show completely, I know some stations didn't change their format when MITD went to 5hrs those stations just go to what was already in place after the 3hr show

and I read in the art bell forum from art bell himself saying subs have dropped off for the show however followed up with that subs are going back up...so who knows

trostol

Quote from: Firefighter on June 04, 2016, 07:37:03 PM

I'd be interested to know if any stations have dropped the show completely, I know some stations didn't change their format when MITD went to 5hrs those stations just go to what was already in place after the 3hr show

and I read in the art bell forum from art bell himself saying subs have dropped off for the show however followed up with that subs are going back up...so who knows

my guess the stations are few now...some she is no longer listed..and others, like KCAA dropped the last 2 hours for of all people RCH lol

GravitySucks

Quote from: trostol on June 04, 2016, 07:43:58 PM
my guess the stations are few now...some she is no longer listed..and others, like KCAA dropped the last 2 hours for of all people RCH lol

They didn't drop the last two hours for RCH. RCH's two hours used to be Wolfman Jack reruns. They dropped the Wolfman Jack reruns to stream OSOM. Since MITD was originally 3 hours, that is all they ever streamed. Once they agreed to stream OSOM in that timeslot, they could not extend the MITD timeslot to accommodate the new 5 hour format.

trostol

whats also interesting..of all the stations listed..i found the show actually listed on only like..1 or two of them

boxman

Quote from: Firefighter on June 04, 2016, 07:37:03 PM

I thought Art Bell had quit on us again??

trostol

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 04, 2016, 07:47:13 PM
They didn't drop the last two hours for RCH. RCH's two hours used to be Wolfman Jack reruns. They dropped the Wolfman Jack reruns to stream OSOM. Since MITD was originally 3 hours, that is all they ever streamed. Once they agreed to stream OSOM in that timeslot, they could not extend the MITD timeslot to accommodate the new 5 hour format.

i guess i meant they couldn't be bothered to pick up the last 2 hours and instead chose crazy ass RCH

Firefighter

For the same reason I watch movies on the SyFy network produced by the SyFy network

I enjoy movies that are so bad they are good

However I wouldn't put myself in the class of "incessantly complaining about Heather"....I will admit when I do listen I'm quick to point out on here anything ridiculous hw says

Catsmile

Quote from: JesusJuice on June 03, 2016, 10:42:41 PM
Wait? The caller says he became a homosexual after he was abducted by aliens?

Anal Spelunking...
NOT EVEN ONCE!!!1

Ghost Nutter

Quote from: trostol on June 04, 2016, 07:55:09 PM
i guess i meant they couldn't be bothered to pick up the last 2 hours and instead chose crazy ass RCH
There is such a thing as...crazy like a fox

JDFP

Quote from: sydtron on June 03, 2016, 10:55:04 PM
Jesus Christ COME ON MAN, GET WITH IT!!

intowhich the other program im alluding to. What I mean is the radio specteum in general between the times of 12a.m. to 5 a.m.  of the other program towith I reference. 

WHAT?!?!?  SHE JUST GAVE RESPECT TO NOORY? ??

Boooooooo!!!!      I remember that shit. Alot of that shit was justified!

"Somebody go back and get a shitload of dimes!!!'  - Taggert, Blazing Saddles.

God FORBID she mention Bellgab.

Well, damnit, I'm sorry. I was pretty drunk at the time and didn't think I'd actually get through to speak with her. Normally I don't ramble so much but when I've been drinking some I tend to go on a bit. So, yeah, I regularly lurk here.

Anyway, the big point I wanted to make with Heather was that just because you're a fan of her program doesn't mean you can't be a fan of Syrett's "Conspiracy Show" or Noory. I'll probably get mucho hate for that, but it's not about praising Noory (I've certainly had some not so positive things to say about Mr. Pizza Roll in the past even if I still overall enjoy his program)or being an apologist to him so much as being one of those rare people who enjoys most of the different programs. My point was that I think there's a tremendous amount of vitriol and hate towards George that just seems unwarranted to me.

I did give Heather great praise for how I feel she's doing a fine job and I truly enjoy her program. And perhaps her change from her posts as (Redacted) to her personality now is from understanding what it's like to sit in the type of chair George does every night as well (well, he mostly stands according to him, but still).

Anyway, hopefully she didn't block me for my call - it wasn't intended to be offensive toward her in bringing up George.

And thanks to JesusJuice for bringing up the previous history of some comments.

Tinfoil_Helm

Quote from: Nobody on June 04, 2016, 12:27:29 AM
Heather: Everyone has something to offer.

One of these days, do you think you might get around to offering us a good radio programme, Heather?  A lot of your listeners who have been hanging on for months waiting for one would like that.

YUP.  But it ain't gonna happen.  She can't read.

And anyone who think Heather is better than Noory is on glue.  I'm optimistic Amy will be okay.

Nobody

I keep waiting for her to find the subject she can talk about (or not talk about, and just let the guest talk) with the same unforced warmth with which she talks about her cat.

The "unforced warmth" you mention comes from her being able to forget herself when she talks about her cat.  Her chronic self-consciousness seems to disappear (if only for a time) when she is talking about a subject near to her own heart.

Sadly, such unforced warmth manifests itself on her show all-too-rarely.  Most of the time, MITD is the audio equivalent of listening to a dreadfully constipated person sitting on the toilet, muscles straining, face contorted with effort, grunts and groans pouring forth, trying to have a bowel movement.  Only, instead of producing a turd, Heather produces a radio show.

Instead of trying to impress the guest, she'd be better off acting the part of an interested novice.  I don't know how many interesting digressions she's thwarted just to show she's done her homework.

Six months on, Heather still has not twigged to the fact that a good radio host thinks in terms of, "What can I do to make this guest more interesting to the listening audience," not, "What can I do to make myself more interesting to the listening audience." 

Until that happens, the only way I can extract any fun from her programme is to view the proceedings like an Ed Wood* film and laugh at all the gaffes, miss-timings, and, worst of all, a radio host repeatedly trying to demonstrate "Why you should take me seriously," when she hosts a show about Bigfoot, UFOs, and other topics that have the most entertainment value when they are not taken seriously.

It is ironic to me that someone who is trying to emulate Art Bell so hard won't emulate one of his best traits: that of not taking himself too seriously whilst on the air and telling callers "I am just a talk show host" whenever they were over-lavish with their praise.  Heather's painfully transparent "aw shucks" false modesty always puts me in mind of Golda Meir's remark to Moshe Dayan: "Don't be so humble, you're not that great."

*JesusJuice touched on this theme earlier in the thread: "Noory is merely a bad movie whilst Heather is turning into a cult classic. Like The Room or something Ed Wood would make."

ge30542

Quote from: Nobody on June 06, 2016, 02:23:03 PM
Heather's painfully transparent "aw shucks" false modesty always puts me in mind of Golda Meir's remark to Moshe Dayan: "Don't be so humble, you're not that great."

I love this. The ONLY place in the world, in this age of "low information" humans, where one can get a reference to Moshe Dayan & Golda Meir in 2016, is BellGab.
Excellent!

trostol

i want to say good for her for getting back to what she is comfy with..but eh..more ufo talk

dan7800

Just goes to show how far this show has fallen. Look at the lack of comments about it. There are about 5 more shows with recent comments.

What is the over/under on Art trying another comeback at some point?

Sad to say, but I think I've had it with him. His shows were great, but I cannot deal with the drama.