• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

El Chapo free!

Started by albrecht, July 12, 2015, 08:41:54 AM

albrecht

No word if he will be eligible for a Dreamer status or has already crossed the open-border or been relocated per the Obama Doctrine, but recall Mexican officials assured us that there is no way he could escape prison and wouldn't extradite. Classic.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mexico-drug-lord-el-chapo-guzman-escapes-through-tunnel/ar-AAcSnRL?ocid=mailsignout

but this is also interesting:
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2015/07/the-medicine-cartel-phenomenon-made-in.html

WOTR

So, did the US even bother to file the request?
From your linked article
After Guzman was arrested on Feb. 22, 2014, the U.S. said it would file an extradition request, though it's not clear if that happened.

The fact of the matter is that the US prision system was not even able to keep those two behind bars in their NY prison, leading to the recent manhunt.  To say that this could never have happened in the US seems awfully confident.  Perhaps not as likely, but there are escapes that do occur.

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on July 12, 2015, 02:16:10 PM
So, did the US even bother to file the request?
From your linked article
After Guzman was arrested on Feb. 22, 2014, the U.S. said it would file an extradition request, though it's not clear if that happened.

The fact of the matter is that the US prision system was not even able to keep those two behind bars in their NY prison, leading to the recent manhunt.  To say that this could never have happened in the US seems awfully confident.  Perhaps not as likely, but there are escapes that do occur.
Maybe, there are not that many prison breaks in the US. But there are some, sure. Prisoners have nothing but time to plan and if guards get in on it than sure. But much rarer than in Mexico, where it is SOP. The odd thing is that, usually, the 'big shots' in Mexican prisons have it pretty good (especially compared with the poor prisoners and lowly paid staff) but US prisons (even WITH our rape, gangs, etc) are better than Mexican prisons for the poor people. But not for the Capos who don't like it because harder to escape and less ability to operate their enterprises, bring in girls, get better food, etc. For the illegals we actually catch and convict for all their pass-times (rape, drug dealing, DUI accidents, domestic abuse, child molestation, murder, etc) have a great life in our prisons compared to their home ones.
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2012/09/the-treatment-of-americans-in-mexican.html

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on July 12, 2015, 07:04:14 PM
You will have to excuse me, while I pick myself up off the ground.  This has to be the first Mexican that you want to come to America and you even are asking to extend to him free housing, medical, dental and education...  Not only that, but you are upset that Mexico respected the boarders and refused to burden the American taxpayer... 8)

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on July 12, 2015, 11:00:51 PM
You will have to excuse me, while I pick myself up off the ground.  This has to be the first Mexican that you want to come to America and you even are asking to extend to him free housing, medical, dental and education...  Not only that, but you are upset that Mexico respected the boarders and refused to burden the American taxpayer... 8)
Nah, I like Mexicans! Discovered a new favorite mole sauce the other day- see other threads. Sucks they ran their country into the ground, especially after our bailouts, vacation money, hunting money, and Spring Break antics (not to mention the prescription drugs, prostitution, and drug addictions that, managed well, should've made Mexico #1 economy.)

But still, I wouldn't have the bad ones as a "boarders" (as you call it)- like we are running some B&B,  but if we get them at least in our custody we could milk for information, etc of seize more funds. And, yes, I do- even for illegals- (as so often happens) that anyone in prison deserves humane treatment (unlike they do in Mexico or other countries of distinction.) I disagree with many of the laws that put people in prison, but if there you should be cared for, even if you are an illegal (though I would bill- take funds from programs we give their countries- to pay for the costs. And any lawsuits by illegals (arising from civil or criminal incidents) should be given to social programs, or as a tax-rebate to tax payers, and not to the abagado or the illegal.

WOTR

Wow, you are no fun... It was just a comment on the number of times that you have called for closed boarders and mentioned how upset you are at the number of illegals (and especially those with a criminal background) being allowed in... You do not see at least a tiny bit of humour in your request that a know Mexican criminal be invited to the US, by you of all people?  (yeah, you can be logical and say how it if for prison, or your can laugh and see the obvious humour staring you in the face...) 8)

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on July 12, 2015, 11:38:03 PM
Wow, you are no fun... It was just a comment on the number of times that you have called for closed boarders and mentioned how upset you are at the number of illegals (and especially those with a criminal background) being allowed in... You do not see at least a tiny bit of humour in your request that a know Mexican criminal be invited to the US, by you of all people?  (yeah, you can be logical and say how it if for prison, or your can laugh and see the obvious humour staring you in the face...) 8)
Touche. But there is a BIG difference between extradition to a SuperMax and the guys kicking doors, under guise of lawn crews, and stealing stuff! Or much, much worse

So this dude is telling Donald Trump to shut up? Now gangbangers are influencing U.S. politics. Wonderful.

onan

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 13, 2015, 09:34:37 PM
So this dude is telling Donald Trump to shut up? Now gangbangers are influencing U.S. politics. Wonderful.

Other than yearly income, I defy you to tell the difference.

Juan

Quote from: onan on July 14, 2015, 12:29:51 AM
Hair.

Eddie Coyle

This is an amazing and shocking story.

That a Mexican drug lord was in prison, I mean.

Chine

Been following this thread and though I feel absolutely ignorant on this whole subject, yet at the same time, I'm riveted. I like to poke my head in this thread and enjoying the conversation .  Forgive me for posting this link here, as it's not fully related but as I've been following tweet news on El Chapo, ArtNews shared this and as you guys can imagine, I really dig it. Drug Kingpins and the art they adore.

https://news.artnet.com/market/3-drug-kingpins-art-adored-316531?utm_content=buffere770a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialmedia

Oh shit. It just hit me. I had a dream two weeks ago that I was in the back of some car. A hand reaches over from the front seat, handing me a huge check. I sat there thinking 'Oh this is great. I'm making mad money now. Wait... But I'm working with the cartel'

Then to see this article on Twitter this morning. Ha!

Can anyone recommend a decent book on the Cartel, history and politics of it all. I really want to read up and learn more about it. Thanks.

albrecht

Quote from: Chine on July 14, 2015, 10:54:37 AM
Been following this thread and though I feel absolutely ignorant on this whole subject, yet at the same time, I'm riveted. I like to poke my head in this thread and enjoying the conversation .  Forgive me for posting this link here, as it's not fully related but as I've been following tweet news on El Chapo, ArtNews shared this and as you guys can imagine, I really dig it. Drug Kingpins and the art they adore.

https://news.artnet.com/market/3-drug-kingpins-art-adored-316531?utm_content=buffere770a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialmedia

Oh shit. It just hit me. I had a dream two weeks ago that I was in the back of some car. A hand reaches over from the front seat, handing me a huge check. I sat there thinking 'Oh this is great. I'm making mad money now. Wait... But I'm working with the cartel'

Then to see this article on Twitter this morning. Ha!

Can anyone recommend a decent book on the Cartel, history and politics of it all. I really want to read up and learn more about it. Thanks.
Haha. A lot of people are doing business with the cartels (whether they know it or not), some like some big banks know it and end up paying slap-on-the-wrist fines every so often.
A few books:(some are dated but still gives background and history)
"Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden (about Pablo Escobar)
"El Narco: Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency" by Ioan Grillo
"The Last Narco" by Malcolm Beith (about El Chapo in particular)
"Murder City: Ciudad Juarez and the Global Economy's New Killing Fields" by Charles Bowden

A great resource are the various blogs, though the content can be VERY disturbing, but that is the reality of the country right across our open-border.
www.borderlandbeat.com (excellent source of information and has been quoted by mainstream news and in published research papers.)
www.blogdelnarco.com (if you know Spanish)

The situation with the cartel is very fluid. Ironically, as the big shots are busted or enforcement ramps up the cartels often splinter, or fight over territory, or get more violent. There are also "auto-defensas" (self-defense groups) that can sometimes act like a cartel, and corrupt police units that can act like a cartel so it can be a chaotic situation* in which often there are no "good guys" except the poor people being exploited and killed.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War
look at the "belligerents" section on the right.

Chine

Quote from: albrecht on July 14, 2015, 12:50:48 PM
Haha. A lot of people are doing business with the cartels (whether they know it or not), some like some big banks know it and end up paying slap-on-the-wrist fines every so often.
A few books:(some are dated but still gives background and history)
"Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden (about Pablo Escobar)
"El Narco: Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency" by Ioan Grillo
"The Last Narco" by Malcolm Beith (about El Chapo in particular)
"Murder City: Ciudad Juarez and the Global Economy's New Killing Fields" by Charles Bowden

A great resource are the various blogs, though the content can be VERY disturbing, but that is the reality of the country right across our open-border.
www.borderlandbeat.com (excellent source of information and has been quoted by mainstream news and in published research papers.)
www.blogdelnarco.com (if you know Spanish)

The situation with the cartel is very fluid. Ironically, as the big shots are busted or enforcement ramps up the cartels often splinter, or fight over territory, or get more violent. There are also "auto-defensas" (self-defense groups) that can sometimes act like a cartel, and corrupt police units that can act like a cartel so it can be a chaotic situation* in which often there are no "good guys" except the poor people being exploited and killed.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War
look at the "belligerents" section on the right.

Thanks. Eddie gave me a few as well and listed 'Killing Pablo' for me to check out as well. I wrote all of these down and going to pick one up this week. There is a new series coming out in NetFlix next month, 'Narcos' on Pablo Escabar.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a35981/netflix-narcos-trailer/?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_200758249

I'm also eager to see the documentary Cartel Land which was just released nationally. It got great reviews at Sundance and other festivals. From what I read, it should be very good. Looks like it was very well done.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a36168/cartel-land-drug-war/?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_204343347

Zoo

So Glad he is out... Way to go... Best news I have heard all week!!1

Chine

Albrecht. Wow. Just glanced through BorderlandBeat site. I'm going to take your advice and prepare myself through parts which will be disturbing. Before El Chapo, who was the Kingpin before him? Are there families? Clans? Rivals? As they maneuver into a positioning themselves into hierarchy of power? I'm guessing that's the case as I read different titles of 'head of' etc  I'm sure I can google on it. I'm trying to chill and gently doze off but want to keep perusing through this site. Riveting stuff.

albrecht

Quote from: Chine on July 14, 2015, 10:37:43 PM
Albrecht. Wow. Just glanced through BorderlandBeat site. I'm going to take your advice and prepare myself through parts which will be disturbing. Before El Chapo, who was the Kingpin before him? Are there families? Clans? Rivals? As they maneuver into a positioning themselves into hierarchy of power? I'm guessing that's the case as I read different titles of 'head of' etc  I'm sure I can google it. It's extremely heartbreaking and tragic as I've read from recent articles. I'm trying to chill and gently doze off but want to keep perusing through this site. Riveting stuff.
You need to check out the wiki or the history/explanation on borderlandbeat or the DEA and FBI sites for latest updates and maps of control areas. There are rival cartels; some were based on families but more often based on regions (and in some cases almost cult-like, like Templars Mich or paramilitary (Los Zetas whose leadership were elite Mexican soldiers/police trained by us and Mex who decided "hey more money in the other side" etc.) There are also corrupt politicians, police, prison guards, and military to further complicate things. There also are relationships with foreign mafias, street and prison gangs (including in the US) when it comes to distribution to US and import of precursors, guns, or certain drugs into Mexico. Most the fighting is over control over La Plazas and the smuggling lines (so control over a place like Laredo or Juarez is important because access to US and money laundering opportunities.)

Chine

Quote from: albrecht on July 14, 2015, 10:43:53 PM
You need to check out the wiki or the history/explanation on borderlandbeat or the DEA and FBI sites for latest updates and maps of control areas. There are rival cartels; some were based on families but more often based on regions (and in some cases almost cult-like, like Templars Mich or paramilitary (Los Zetas whose leadership were elite Mexican soldiers/police trained by us and Mex who decided "hey more money in the other side" etc.) There are also corrupt politicians, police, prison guards, and military to further complicate things. There also are relationships with foreign mafias, street and prison gangs (including in the US) when it comes to distribution to US and import of precursors, guns, or certain drugs into Mexico. Most the fighting is over control over La Plazas and the smuggling lines (so control over a place like Laredo or Juarez is important because access to US and money laundering opportunities.)

Huh. Interesting. Thank you so much for posting all this for me. Familiar with only parts of it (Los Zetas, the prison and street fangs) but never explored further on how it's all intertwined, connected.

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on July 14, 2015, 10:43:53 PM
There are also corrupt politicians, police, prison guards, and military to further complicate things. There also are relationships with foreign mafias, street and prison gangs (including in the US) when it comes to distribution to US and import of precursors, guns, or certain drugs into Mexico.

Chine

I can't wait for this series. I posted in 'I'm currently watching' thread and posting here too as it is the based on the cartel and Pablo Escabar. NetFlix just released the trailer for 'Narcos' which premieres next month.
While watching this and listening to the narration, immediately reminded me of Ray Liotta in 'Goodfellas'

http://youtu.be/U7elNhHwgBU

Chine

Watching the documentary 'Killing of Pablo' Mark Bowden is in it and I need to get his book. I'm well aware the TV, films is a more romantic view for entertaining masses. Except however, documentaries are much more honest and brutal stuff. I'm into a half hour of Killing Pablo and it's something else.

I was also checking out the videos and photos from Chapo's escape.

Quote from: onan on July 14, 2015, 12:29:51 AM
Criminal records? Fwiw, I don't care for Trump either.
I find it rather odd that we have taken out people with drones for doing far less.

onan

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 15, 2015, 05:43:18 PM
Criminal records? Fwiw, I don't care for Trump either.
I find it rather odd that we have taken out people with drones for doing far less.
I wish there were a tongue in cheek emoticon... hell I would be too lazy either way.

Quote from: onan on July 15, 2015, 05:44:56 PM
I wish there were a tongue in cheek emoticon...
I know, right?

Chine

Finished the documentary 'Killing of Pablo' which was extremely compelling. Especially the maneuvering between Delta Force, Los Pepes and Columbian govt. I'm still planning to purchase Bowden's book and others you guys mentioned as I'm hungry to explore in greater depth. Also, I began another documentary on Los Zetas as well as I'm chomping at the bit for Cartel Land to play at a theater nearby.

My mother took us to many great Espionage films when we were kids in the 70s. She also had many books on the subject. Eagle Has Landed, Marathon Man, 3 Days of the Condor, Bear Island, etc etc. I am currently reading Nordic crime writer, Jo Nesbo. Political Crime, Espionage fascinates the hell out of me. Watching maneuvers, begins the scenes activity. Surveillance, tactics, etc.

Jackstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nIwmSMVh8Y

There are subtitles. It is Spanish. There is music.

I don't know what else to tell you, how have you not seen this yet?

albrecht

Frontline recently had a good documentary on El Chapo and the corruption and violence right across our open-border. If anyone missed it you can watch it here. Well done though no answers have how to fix the culture. Very sad.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/drug-lord/