• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Lord Grantham

What the hell did that have to do with anything?

Lord Grantham

Quote from: WhiteCrow on June 10, 2018, 03:24:22 AM
There are still some huge holes in Art's time line.

1. Can't find any source information about the rescue fight for kids from Vietnam.

2. The unknown wife and possible kids from that marriage.

From what I recall from the 'Art of Talk' the rescue flight may have been during his time as a DJ in Alaska. It's more than likely that he just raised money for it as part of a radio-telethon, but over they years it's been inflated into him personally flying a C-130 below radar level into Ho Chi Minh City.

I think the real question is what Art actually did while serving as an AF medic during the war. He was stationed in Okinawa, but there are times in old shows where he talks like he was actually in country (even claiming to have nightmares over the things he witnessed and turning down a chance to visit Vietnam decades later because of raw emotions). But in his book he never mentions having his boots on the ground in 'Nam.

Lunger

Quote from: Lord Grantham on June 10, 2018, 06:56:26 AM
From what I recall from the 'Art of Talk' the rescue flight may have been during his time as a DJ in Alaska. It's more than likely that he just raised money for it as part of a radio-telethon, but over they years it's been inflated into him personally flying a C-130 below radar level into Ho Chi Minh City.

I think the real question is what Art actually did while serving as an AF medic during the war. He was stationed in Okinawa, but there are times in old shows where he talks like he was actually in country (even claiming to have nightmares over the things he witnessed and turning down a chance to visit Vietnam decades later because of raw emotions). But in his book he never mentions having his boots on the ground in 'Nam.

I heard that (Yesterday) I think on a SIT show.  Art talking about having 'nightmares' about Viet Nam and I immediately think 'You little bitch! you weren't in-country'.

Well, Art was one to never let the truth get in the way of a show.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lunger on June 10, 2018, 07:00:52 AM
I heard that (Yesterday) I think on a SIT show.  Art talking about having 'nightmares' about Viet Nam and I immediately think 'You little bitch! you weren't in-country'.

I always wondered about his USAF service. Didn’t he say one time that he answered some important phone call in the command post? Maybe when Kennedy was assasinated?

My questions started there. Why was an enlisted medic in a command post? I know you can FOIA his basic service record but I never worried about it.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Lunger on June 10, 2018, 07:00:52 AM

We must be listening to U7 at the same time.

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 10, 2018, 07:09:40 AM
I always wondered about his USAF service. Didn’t he say one time that he answered some important phone call in the command post? Maybe when Kennedy was assasinated?

My questions started there. Why was an enlisted medic in a command post? I know you can FOIA his basic service record but I never worried about it.

It was during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and it wasn't just any phone, but the HOTLINE

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lord Grantham on June 10, 2018, 07:19:15 AM
We must be listening to U7 at the same time.

It was during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and it wasn't just any phone, but the HOTLINE

That’s right!  And what got me at the time was his age. He would have been about 17.5 years old. I know he quit high school after the 10th grade but I don’t know when he went in the service.

If you add up the number of weeks of basic training and the number of weeks for air force medical tech school, I am not sure he would have even been at his first duty station by October 1962.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 10, 2018, 07:29:01 AM
That’s right!  And what got me at the time was his age. He would have been about 17.5 years old. I know he quit high school after the 10th grade but I don’t know when he went in the service.

If you add up the number of weeks of basic training and the number of weeks for air force medical tech school, I am not sure he would have even been at his first duty station by October 1962.

You had mentioned FOIA requests . . . I may do that, it'll take up to 8 months to receive a reply, but it could be interesting.
The guy made his service public knowledge, let's see if it was true or not.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lord Grantham on June 10, 2018, 07:39:56 AM
You had mentioned FOIA requests . . . I may do that, it'll take up to 8 months to receive a reply, but it could be interesting.

I don’t even think it takes a foia request. A bellgab user called gunther65 got Douglas Dietrich’s records pretty quick. I am sure he mentioned the form he used in that thread.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Lord Grantham on June 10, 2018, 06:56:26 AM

Nailing hot Asian poon.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Lord Grantham on June 10, 2018, 07:39:56 AM

They talked about the airlift on the interview with Art's ex. According to them there is no record of it at all.

Ghost

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 06, 2018, 01:27:24 PM
Art may be having some "wtf did I get Heather into" moments then... :-\

Nope. Heather had her Eyes Wide Shut, she knew what she was getting herself into. She’s got big girl panties.

Ghost

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 07, 2018, 08:50:01 AM
Not littered with homeless camps , tents and passed out Cali-druggies either...

Bwahahaha the High Desert has no one to pan handle off of. Perhaps, a few crumbs outside the Chicken Ranch.....

GravitySucks

Quote from: Ghost on June 10, 2018, 07:50:30 AM
Bwahahaha the High Desert has no one to pan handle off of. Perhaps, a few crumbs outside the Chicken Ranch.....

There are plenty of panhandlers in Pahrump. All with meth teeth.

Ghost

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 10, 2018, 07:56:56 AM
There are plenty of panhandlers in Pahrump. All with meth teeth.

Gross! Bad visual image!

GravitySucks

Interesting how he just revealed the content of his character on an old show.

I remember several shows where he was admonishing the behavior of some military members that were refusing to serve in Bosnia under the UN flag saying it was their duty to follow orders.

Now I’m listening to a show shortly after the Phoenix lights case where he talks about heing stationed in Okinawa. He says he was called in and told by his Captain to stop cohabiting with a local Japanese woman. He then said he refused to comply.

So I guess as long as it comes to sex lawful orders don’t count.

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 10, 2018, 08:08:40 AM

I remember several shows where he was admonishing the behavior of some military members that were refusing to serve in Bosnia under the UN flag saying it was their duty to follow orders.

Now I’m listening to a show shortly after the Phoenix lights case where he talks about heing stationed in Okinawa. He says he was called in and told by his Captain to stop cohabiting with a local Japanese woman. He then said he refused to comply.

I would imagine Art enjoyed his stay on Okinawa

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on June 10, 2018, 08:32:26 AM
I would imagine Art enjoyed his stay on Okinawa

I don’t remember him being that tan.

Claudius

Also don't forget he on multiple occasions claimed to have been flying high enough to warrant oxygen masks while in the Air Force, but wait Art I thought you were just a helicopter medic, or a DJ, or a watch officer at the age of 18? He was so full of it we'll probably never know the truth, he may have raised money to help orphans get over from Vietnam, but I doubt he did more than simply help raise it. In case anyone has forgotten Art constantly inflated his own importance in every conceivable scenario. Except of course when he was totally hoodwinked and spread the false story of a "companion" to Hale-Bopp... he had NOTHING to do with that....  ::)

Bart Ell

If anyone has a high quality copy of his audio book I will reward you with 2 bartcoins for a link to it.
#Blessings
#Legacy

El Chorro

Quote from: Bart Ell on June 10, 2018, 08:37:32 AM
If anyone has a high quality copy of his audio book I will reward you with 2 bartcoins for a link to it.
#Blessings
#Legacy

Hey Bart...I can't figure out how to play the music on your Nye site. I have an iPhone. Is that a problem?

Bart Ell

Quote from: El Chorro on June 10, 2018, 08:57:12 AM
Hey Bart...I can't figure out how to play the music on your Nye site. I have an iPhone. Is that a problem?

The player on the right doesn't work for you?
Does it work directly at https://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/KINGDOMOFNYERADIO/ ?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Bart Ell on June 10, 2018, 09:09:29 AM
The player on the right doesn't work for you?
Does it work directly at https://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/KINGDOMOFNYERADIO/ ?

Seems like I am having the same problem. It works on theradionomy link.

I just get the circle on the nye site

Bart Ell

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 10, 2018, 09:12:51 AM
Seems like I am having the same problem. It works on theradionomy link.

I just get the circle on the nye site

Are you on an iPhone, too?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Bart Ell on June 10, 2018, 09:23:19 AM
Are you on an iPhone, too?

It is working now on both Safari and Chrome.

Thanks

Bart Ell

Thanks for letting me know. I added a direct link to Radionomy

GravitySucks

Quote from: Bart Ell on June 10, 2018, 09:45:55 AM

The last time it seemed to hiccup again. I pushed the button a couple of times and it started playing. There may just be a lag in the redirect that iOS/safari doesn’t like.

El Chorro

Quote from: Bart Ell on June 10, 2018, 09:45:55 AM

I clicked on the new Radionomy link and it played fine from there. Thanks!

ETA....you must have just worked some magic. The whole player is up now on the site and plays fine :)

El Chorro

You can probably take the "can't hear us?" link above the player off now and just leave the lower one

Here's what I see now when I scroll down:

albrecht

iHate Media, Inc reaired the fairly cool episode with Pankau "how to disappear" book and Art mentioned whimsically how it might be nice to disappear to somewhere like Tahiti and how he has friends there who talking about the 'nice weather and dancing girls.'  Maybe Art faked it and off to Tahiti and living it up with Morrison, Elvis, Kaufman,etc?