• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on October 25, 2017, 07:35:58 AM
Just watched Thor: Ragnarok. It's basically another fairly forgettable superhero film with poor quality cgi and all the other things you find in the rest of the Marvel movies. Only see it if you enjoy those sorts of films and want more of the same, but don't go into it without having seen them as you probably won't know what's going on.

Has a lot of lowest-common-denominator humour and it's absolutely filled with characters with Kiwi accents and using their slang, so I guess you can tell the film was directed by a New Zealander.  ::)

They make a joke throughout the movie about calling Thor 'lord of thunder', and at the films climax he's asked what he's god of, and do you know what song they play? No, not God of Thunder by Kiss - that'd make too much sense thematically and lyrically. They play the bloody Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin set to slow motion fighting against cgi monsters.

I suggest you listen more closely to the lyrics of The Immigrant Song or here, just read them:

We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun, where the hot springs flow
The hammer of the gods
W'ell drive our ships to new lands
To fight the horde, and sing and cry
Valhalla, I am coming!
On we sweep with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore
Ah-ah, ah!
Ah-ah, ah!
We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
How soft your fields so green
Can whisper tales of gore
Of how we calmed the tides of war
We are your overlords
On we sweep with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing
Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 25, 2017, 07:55:09 AM
I suggest you listen more closely to the lyrics of The Immigrant Song or here, just read them:

Fair enough, but I think for the scene in question God of Thunder would have fitted much better.

Swishypants

Quote from: Taaroa on October 25, 2017, 08:18:19 AM
Fair enough, but I think for the scene in question God of Thunder would have fitted much better.

Don't be civil to him! Put "tha' feyag make-up on him!" :)

https://youtu.be/JqPH-C083xU

ItsOver

"Diary of a Madman."  Vincent Price.  A nice little Halloween treat last night on TCM.  Loosely based on "The Horla," which may have inspired Lovecraft's "The Call of Cthulhu."  Yes, Cthulhu, baby.  Pronounce that one, Jorch.

A couple bits of trivia.  Elaine Devry, who plays the girlfriend of the falsely accused murderer about to go to the guillotine, was married to a fellow who ended-up being convicted of multiple robberies in Los Angeles and sentenced to five years probation. The couple resided in Butte, but divorced in 1952. She also had a six-year marriage to actor Mickey Rooney, whom she met in the fall of 1952, and married on November 15, 1952, in Las Vegas.  She's still around, at 87, but I doubt she looks as good as she did for this shoot.

"Curse of the Demon," with Dana Andrews.  Not a bad little piece of intrigue with some interesting banter between Andrews and Niall MacGinnis, who plays the evil Dr. Karswell.  Peggy Cummins also plays reasonably well off of Andrews, as his love interest.  I'd never seen this flick before and it wasn't bad at all.  The depiction of the demon isn't completely terrible, either, for the time, and, in my book, beats the usually cartoonish-looking CGI of today.  Reasonably creepy, as it materializes out of smoke, and chases Andrew's character through the forest for one scene.  It almost brought that whole Darby O'Gill Banshee/ death coach effect to mind, only in black and white.

I would have loved to catch another viewing of "Carnival of Souls" on TCM but it was past my bedtime.  Jorch was ready to tuck me in, with some warm sour milk and stale turkee hor d'oeuvres.  Yum.

Taaroa

I watched The Warriors and Chinatown for the first time last night.
The Warriors I enjoyed and wouldn't be surprised if one day it gets remade to make it more violent and a bit less corny (by today's standards). The final scene with the Joe Walsh song playing over it was an excellent ending.

https://youtu.be/ljSuROOUxg8

Chinatown I was let down by and I didn't particularly enjoy it (probably a controversial opinion). Acting, music, and directing/cinematography were all decent but I thought the plot was a bit too meandering and 'complex' for its own good. With that said though, I can at least understand why the final line and scene is so well regarded.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: ItsOver on October 25, 2017, 09:15:47 AM
"Diary of a Madman."  Vincent Price.  A nice little Halloween treat last night on TCM.  Loosely based on "The Horla," which may have inspired Lovecraft's "The Call of Cthulhu."  Yes, Cthulhu, baby.  Pronounce that one, Jorch.

A couple bits of trivia.  Elaine Devry, who plays the girlfriend of the falsely accused murderer about to go to the guillotine, was married to a fellow who ended-up being convicted of multiple robberies in Los Angeles and sentenced to five years probation. The couple resided in Butte, but divorced in 1952. She also had a six-year marriage to actor Mickey Rooney, whom she met in the fall of 1952, and married on November 15, 1952, in Las Vegas.  She's still around, at 87, but I doubt she looks as good as she did for this shoot.

Devry was part of Jack Webb's ensemble company who played various roles in his shows (Dragnet, Adam 12, Project UFO, Emergency) in the late 60s/70s.  She usually played a very respectable, dignified character. 

albrecht

Quote from: Taaroa on October 28, 2017, 11:17:18 PM
I watched The Warriors and Chinatown for the first time last night.
The Warriors I enjoyed and wouldn't be surprised if one day it gets remade to make it more violent and a bit less corny (by today's standards). The final scene with the Joe Walsh song playing over it was an excellent ending.

https://youtu.be/ljSuROOUxg8

The Warriors, based on the Sol Yurick's novel*, is an excellent film. But one of those that seems to have various edits, especially for tv. Beginning and endings, as I recall, could be different depending where you saw it? Last I heard MTV had bought the rights to remake? Idk. They also released some kind of cut (I didn't like) with comics interspersed. What is awesome is that the movie is so obvious- but nobody really thinks of it- at least I didn't initially. CYRUS? *Anabasis? Can You Dig It!? Uniting the gangs, the arduous trip back home after leader killed etc. An excellent movie and should be shown in schools. Along with El Cid (for currently political reasons in Iberia.)
ps: "One thing we might get out of Cyrus's get-together is meeting some strange wool. I wouldn't mind laying something down on the way back."

Quote from: ItsOver on October 25, 2017, 09:15:47 AM

Nice ass.  Have that movie on blu-ray.  I guess I should watch it.

pate

I've been enjoying an on again off again relationship with Lexx a sort of quirky pre/post millennial production lost in the general chaos...

I may or may not have been a contributor back in my college daze, it's so Germanic...

pate

Quote from: albrecht on October 28, 2017, 11:37:40 PM
The Warriors, based on the Sol Yurick's novel*, is an excellent film. But one of those that seems to have various edits, especially for tv. Beginning and endings, as I recall, could be different depending where you saw it? Last I heard MTV had bought the rights to remake? Idk. They also released some kind of cut (I didn't like) with comics interspersed. What is awesome is that the movie is so obvious- but nobody really thinks of it- at least I didn't initially. CYRUS? *Anabasis? Can You Dig It!? Uniting the gangs, the arduous trip back home after leader killed etc. An excellent movie and should be shown in schools. Along with El Cid (for currently political reasons in Iberia.)
ps: "One thing we might get out of Cyrus's get-together is meeting some strange wool. I wouldn't mind laying something down on the way back."

I had a room-mate back a few yearns ago that played the hell out of that game.  Apparently the whole storyline was lifted from ancient Greek mythology, "Xenophon's March" or somesuch.  Whoever the guy was that lost the Anatolian Greek city-states to Cyrus or something.  Pre-dated the whole Spartan vs. Darius(?) thing.  I furgoat...

Lt.Uhura

Watched Michael Clayton on NetFlix. An intelligent, suspenseful story about a fixer in a law firm who gets involved in a billion dollar lawsuit against a Monsanto-type bio food company. The complex plot isn't always easy to follow but the acting is superb, with stellar performances from George Clooney, Sydney Pollack, Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton...

Clooney is especially good. Always charismatic and easy on the eye, his acting skills are so effective at drawing in the audience. Beyond the dialogue, every expression is so emotionally nuanced, it gives his character a depth and realism unequaled by other actors of his generation. Highly recommended!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on November 09, 2017, 10:03:45 PM
Watched Michael Clayton on NetFlix. An intelligent, suspenseful story about a fixer in a law firm who gets involved in a billion dollar lawsuit against a Monsanto-type bio food company. The complex plot isn't always easy to follow but the acting is superb, with stellar performances from George Clooney, Sydney Pollack, Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton...

Clooney is especially good. Always charismatic and easy on the eye, his acting skills are so effective at drawing in the audience. Beyond the dialogue, every expression is so emotionally nuanced, it gives his character a depth and realism unequaled by other actors of his generation. Highly recommended!

Pass!  ::)

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 29, 2017, 01:11:39 AM

Nice ass.  Have that movie on blu-ray.  I guess I should watch it.
It's not bad.  It's worth watching, just for Vincent.  Sorry, no ass, though.

coaster

Stranger Things. Not since True Detective have I been so excited to watch a tv show. It's got something for everyone. I am 36, and a child of the 80's. The nostalgia alone punches me in the face. The kids are awesome and I really relate to the beer drinking, chain smoking Jim Hopper. He's probably my favorite character of the show. I'm currently watching episode two of the second season, and really enjoying it.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: coaster on November 10, 2017, 02:20:19 PM
Stranger Things. Not since True Detective have I been so excited to watch a tv show. It's got something for everyone. I am 36, and a child of the 80's. The nostalgia alone punches me in the face. The kids are awesome and I really relate to the beer drinking, chain smoking Jim Hopper. He's probably my favorite character of the show. I'm currently watching episode two of the second season, and really enjoying it.

Season one was great! If Spielberg made a miniseries (maybe he did?) this is what it would look like. Haven't started season 2 yet but I've heard mixed reviews.

Zetaspeak

Watched Murder on the Orient Express film that just came out a week ago. I always liked a good mystery flick.

albrecht

Quote from: Zetaspeak on November 21, 2017, 09:36:31 PM
Watched Murder on the Orient Express film that just came out a week ago. I always liked a good mystery flick.
I didn't realize it was already out! How does it compare to the various other versions? I do want to check it out simply if even to do a small part in keeping mysteries,  plot, acting,  and no CGI movies viable.

Rix Gins

I watched 1954's Secret of the Incas on YouTube.  It starred Charlton Heston as Harry Steele, a guy who lives somewhere down in Peru.  Harry is a brash ne'er-do-well who makes a living by giving visiting tourist ladies 'what they want' while their husbands are sleeping off the effects of the thin air from the high altitude.  Harry comes across a scientific expedition that is searching for an Incan sun burst relic made from solid gold and worth a million dollars.  Harry gains the trust of the expedition leader (Robert Young) and is allowed to hang out at the diggings.  Harry is not interested in Science, though.  He wants the relic for himself.

Interesting to note that Harry's clothes almost match those of our modern, Indiana Jones.  Also there is a singer by the name of  Yma Sumac who played an Incan lady who sings several songs throughout the movie.  Yma had quite a voice.  She could sing low and then go up real high to where you feel like your eardrums are going to burst. 

Fun adventure yarn to watch on a rainy day.

Here is a song from the movie.
https://youtu.be/NYlguwsFPb4

comaphobe

The Stuff (1985)

A new and tasty and possibly addictive dairy-based dessert similar to ice cream or yogurt has the population consuming mass amounts of the sweet and mysterious substance. Not much is known about The Stuff or where it comes from but people can't seem to get enough of it.

Excellent movie. Kind of a cross between They Live and Soylent Green with some elements of Robocop and Halloween III (Silver Shamrock). In some parts it is campy like Creepshow 1 or 2.

It has Michael Moriarty, Paul Sorvino, and others.

The movie has some really good stunts and gravity effects.

I think The Stuff is really good.

ShayP

Quote from: comaphobe on November 22, 2017, 05:35:23 PM
The Stuff (1985)

I think The Stuff is really good.

I'm with you man!  I haven't seen it in ages but I did enjoy it.  I need to watch it again. 

Every time I see this "stuff" in the store I think of that movie.

Why doesn't Netflix have "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" on for Thanksgiving? 
Good ol' John Candy was so good in it.

comaphobe

Quote from: ShayP on November 22, 2017, 06:43:30 PM
I'm with you man!  I haven't seen it in ages but I did enjoy it.  I need to watch it again. 

Every time I see this "stuff" in the store I think of that movie.

That literally looks like The Stuff.

QuoteIt has Michael Moriarty, Paul Sorvino, and others.

It also has the Where's The Beef lady.

Quote from: Étouffée on November 22, 2017, 06:57:37 PM
Why doesn't Netflix have "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" on for Thanksgiving? 
Good ol' John Candy was so good in it.

:'â,¬= You the showercurtin fella? :'Â¥= :'â,¬=

:'â,¬= Train dont run outta Witchita... Not unless you got VPN or streamlink :'Â¥= :'â,¬= :'g :'#= ... :'â,¬=

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 21, 2017, 10:12:49 PM
I watched 1954's Secret of the Incas on YouTube.  It starred Charlton Heston as Harry Steele, a guy who lives somewhere down in Peru.  Harry is a brash ne'er-do-well who makes a living by giving visiting tourist ladies 'what they want' while their husbands are sleeping off the effects of the thin air from the high altitude.  Harry comes across a scientific expedition that is searching for an Incan sun burst relic made from solid gold and worth a million dollars.  Harry gains the trust of the expedition leader (Robert Young) and is allowed to hang out at the diggings.  Harry is not interested in Science, though.  He wants the relic for himself.

Interesting to note that Harry's clothes almost match those of our modern, Indiana Jones.  Also there is a singer by the name of  Yma Sumac who played an Incan lady who sings several songs throughout the movie.  Yma had quite a voice.  She could sing low and then go up real high to where you feel like your eardrums are going to burst. 

Fun adventure yarn to watch on a rainy day.

https://youtu.be/NYlguwsFPb4

It used to be on TBS back in the 80's and I caught it there once or twice but I haven't seen it since.  It is a Paramount film and has yet to be released on disc.  And you're on the right track.  Secret of the Incas was a huge influence on Spielberg and Lucas for the Indiana Jones films.  The film itself is good but not great.  I'd like to see it again.

Alphalpha

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 21, 2017, 10:12:49 PM
<snip>the effects of the thin air from the high altitude. <snip>
OMG! Are you sure they didn’t rent a theramin to do that scene!
Geez killin’ me. :-)

Zetaspeak

Quote from: albrecht on November 21, 2017, 09:43:03 PM
I didn't realize it was already out! How does it compare to the various other versions? I do want to check it out simply if even to do a small part in keeping mysteries,  plot, acting,  and no CGI movies viable.

I never saw the 1974 version so I can't compare it, even though I want to. I enjoyed this version, has a lot of star power on the train but they don't do much as it focus most on the lead (Poirot). There's a little CGI but it's not too overwhelming.

ItsOver

An excellent Kirk Douglas flick on TCM tonight. 

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/613826/Ace-in-the-Hole/

Overview

Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole is one of the most scathing indictments of American culture ever produced by a Hollywood filmmaker. Kirk Douglas (Spartacus) gives the fiercest performance of his career as Chuck Tatum, an amoral newspaper reporter who washes up in dead-end Albuquerque, happens upon the scoop of a lifetime, and will do anything to keep getting the lurid headlines. Wilder's follow-up to Sunset Boulevard is an even darker vision, a no-holds-barred expose of the American medias appetite for sensation that has gotten only more relevant with time.