• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight and Speculation

Started by Up All Night, March 08, 2014, 08:33:46 PM

Incredibly sad news. The owner of the forum I moderate was born in Malaysia. I admit the first thing I did when the news broke was look at the passenger manifesto for his family name. I can't imagine how the families of those on board feel now, but my heart goes out to each and every one. We've had our share of bad ones in NY. You never get used to the shock that so many lives can be lost in an instant.

I truly wish the Langoliers was true.  :-\

George Drooly

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on March 09, 2014, 03:59:31 AM

Going on the assumption you have, you wish him dead? Says a lot.

Have you ever heard his show?

Let's hope there weren't any kids on that flight, or George will report it with one hand down his pants.

FallenSeraph

Quote from: George Drooly on March 10, 2014, 02:25:08 AM
Have you ever heard his show?

Let's hope there weren't any kids on that flight, or George will report it with one hand down his pants.

I think there were two infants.

And thank you for the image of George with his hand down his pants.

**struggles to swallow a spoonful of breakfast yogurt**

Why oh why do I always make the mistake of reading this forum while I'm eating?

George Drooly

The death of infants or children is of exactly equal value to the death of any other age group, period. No better, no worse. Actually, if an adult has proven their life is of value by their talents or work, then their life is worth more than an infant or child who might just as well grow up to be a criminal or layabout (or, fuck us, a politician or cop). Tired of this sort of morbid sentimentalization that Noory and the rest of the media practices. Tired of hearing reporters preface missing or dead children's name with "Little" so and so. It's all emotional manipulation.

One assumes you are not a father.  I've lost both parents, a best friend, loved ones...  I managed to bounce back.  I can't fathom what I'd do if my only child passed away.

I am not saying you're a horrible person, George, but the death of a child does strike many people as worse than the death of an adult.

Uncle Duke

Today I actually heard callers to a local, main stream talk show give some serious, yet amazingly stupid, answers to the question "What happened to the Malaysian airliner?"  Included were:

"It got taken up by a UFO."

"The plane was hijacked and taken to a secret island base."

"Maybe those African pirates captured it."

IF Dames wasn't out doing his cloak & dagger stuff to get his family out of Ukraine, I'm sure George would have him on answering the same question.  Sadly, I'm not sure we'd get any better answers.

Weird the stolen passport was used by an Iranian.

The Thai travel agent who booked the men onto Malaysia Airlines MH370 says that they used a middleman who only asked for the cheapest flight to Europe.
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/new-details-emerge-about-men-who-used-stolen-passports-on-malaysian-jetliner/article17391753/?service=mobile

Uncle Duke

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 10, 2014, 09:04:26 PM
The Thai travel agent who booked the men onto Malaysia Airlines MH370 says that they used a middleman who only asked for the cheapest flight to Europe.
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/new-details-emerge-about-men-who-used-stolen-passports-on-malaysian-jetliner/article17391753/?service=mobile

Another explanation might be those guys were in Pattaya for sex tourism/human trafficking, and using the stolen passports and middleman who bought the ticket to hide their identities. 

Reports are now that they were just two guys trying to escape Iran. 

Juan

I happened to hear Michael Savage while I was in the car.  He's usually wrong when he goes on a rant, but he did raise an interesting idea.  Is there a chop shop for 777s? We know human organs can be harvested and sold.

In a measured, low-register voice:

"Previously on LOST...."

Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 10, 2014, 08:20:27 PM
One assumes you are not a father.  I've lost both parents, a best friend, loved ones...  I managed to bounce back.  I can't fathom what I'd do if my only child passed away.

I am not saying you're a horrible person, George, but the death of a child does strike many people as worse than the death of an adult.

I agree WotR. I've friends who lost a child to a horrible accident and their lives were over. I don't want to imagine how they felt because I know I'd gladly give up my own life for my son. Losing a child is every parent's worst nightmare.

Stolen passports are big business in Thailand where these two passports were first reported stolen. Sometimes the owners sell them for $200, or they are stolen when people rent motorbikes and leave them as a deposit guarantee and then they go on the black market. They could go to militants, but they can be sold for a lot of other reasons, too, including work immigration. http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/10/uk-malaysia-airlines-thailand-passports-idUKBREA290K620140310

albrecht

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on March 11, 2014, 08:21:30 PM
Stolen passports are big business in Thailand where these two passports were first reported stolen. Sometimes the owners sell them for $200, or they are stolen when people rent motorbikes and leave them as a deposit guarantee and then they go on the black market. They could go to militants, but they can be sold for a lot of other reasons, too, including work immigration. http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/10/uk-malaysia-airlines-thailand-passports-idUKBREA290K620140310
Yeah, and there is a big difference between stolen passports (a relatively easy process, especially in places like Thailand) and forged passports (that would pass background checks, linked with credit and other details, etc). But I don't like this idea that some airlines, or countries, don't even run a check if passport was reported stolen. Or that the country of the stolen passport wouldn't pass on that data to the other countries and airlines. But, then again, caveat-emptor when choosing airlines and countries in which to travel.  And I also don't like the awful politically-correct TSA etc checkpoints and methods we use here treating citizens as criminals but ignoring statistical threats (based on age, race, sex, country-of-origin, religion, etc) and leaving the border, pretty much open, except when travelling by plane...and give "trusted traveler" speedy immigration check status to people like the Saudis but force those dangerous Swiss and Norwegians etc with full on passport check, thumbprint, and customs control....though I also never liked the "taking of the passport" in European hotels even if they just took a photocopy. But, again, to each their own.

Foodlion

Quote from: George Drooly on March 10, 2014, 07:08:31 PM
The death of infants or children is of exactly equal value to the death of any other age group, period. No better, no worse. Actually, if an adult has proven their life is of value by their talents or work, then their life is worth more than an infant or child who might just as well grow up to be a criminal or layabout (or, fuck us, a politician or cop). Tired of this sort of morbid sentimentalization that Noory and the rest of the media practices. Tired of hearing reporters preface missing or dead children's name with "Little" so and so. It's all emotional manipulation.
I'd have to take your side on this. Most of the time the death of a child is over extended to gather emotional attention. I got sick of listening to Alex Jones because he cries "do it for the children!" or "They are poisoning out children!" and realize that it's just a lame publicity stunt to try and make it personal to the audience.
Don't get me wrong, I see the death of a child as more of a innocent victim than an adult assuming it was done by direct violence, but we're talking about a plane going down. They all suffered the same fate equally.

Just nobody take this the wrong way. Just to be very clear, I'd save a kids life just as fast as I would an adult.

albrecht

Quote from: Foodlion on March 11, 2014, 09:10:33 PM
I'd have to take your side on this. Most of the time the death of a child is over extended to gather emotional attention. I got sick of listening to Alex Jones because he cries "do it for the children!" or "They are poisoning out children!" and realize that it's just a lame publicity stunt to try and make it personal to the audience.
Don't get me wrong, I see the death of a child as more of a innocent victim than an adult assuming it was done by direct violence, but we're talking about a plane going down. They all suffered the same fate equally.

Just nobody take this the wrong way. Just to be very clear, I'd save a kids life just as fast as I would an adult.

I, guess, the actuarial tables could consider an adult in the their "prime" age the worst loss. So let's say these days, early or mid 40's because already got into their career and now going to hit higher positions? So, money-wise, more loss cause already on track? Or, it could be argued, that from a human existence modality, that girls from 12-19 would be worth more (certainly the Arab actuaries might say) because they haven't yet, hopefully, reproduced, but are biologically prime to do so and for a few decades more with modern technology help breed more of the species and haven't lost their reproductive capacity or yet ruined it by drugs or whatever. Or, it could be from sentimentality and survival perspective, that those old people who died should be valued most. Who survived things like the Great Depression, The Cultural Revolution, the two world wars, etc because what they can teach us about war, deprivation, survival, forgiveness, and their experience. But, most likely, the reason why babies and young children deaths make headlines and are valued more is because they haven't yet had a chance to do anything. Make mistakes. Or Make history. Or tell their stories. Or have their own families. etc.

I think it's because our natural instinct is to protect children out of love, of course, if they're our own, and also out of a primal sense that they are our future. It's a grievous tragedy that anyone suffered and died on that flight, no matter what the age, but in the case of the children, there is also the possibility that an entire family was wiped out, including it's future and that will make their relatives grieve all the more. It's happened before in crashes, and it's no less sad now. But, yes, the loss of any of those lives is unspeakable.

yumyumtree

It's truly a baffling mystery. Nothing really adds up.  But here are my random thoughts.

1. Most crashes of big airplanes happen during takeoff of landing not mid flight or high altitude.

2. There's nothing saying that  both terrorism and a crash couldn't have happened, maybe a crash caused by terrorism. It may have been a deal similar to United 93 except in the Pacific Ocean instead of a PA field. But why have they only found oil?

3. A lot of terrorists are klutzes and their efforts abortive. Look at the underwear bomber. But think what might have happened if he had succeeded at whatever he was trying to do.

4. I'm not tech savvy enough to know what cell phones ringing means. But lots of people have more than one and these phones may not have even been with them on the trip.

5. As previous posters have suggested, the stolen passports may be a coincidence, but it makes me mad if the airlines are being so reckless about it while the TSA is tormenting people with their Deaconian bullshit at the same time. Passport photos have to fit a strict set of guidelines as anybody who's travelled recently knows. But if they aren't even going to look at them closely, what's the point?

Up All Night

Beginning at time of Reply # 34, the title of my thread in my original post, was changed somehow from:

Malaysian Boeing 777 Flight MH 370 disappears over the Gulf of Thailand

to

Crashed Malaysian Airlines Flight - Islam

Just Sayin' . . .

yumyumtree

I guess the oil they found turned out to be from another source.

But I guess somebody has seen debris off the coast of Viet Nam.

Quote from: Up All Night on March 12, 2014, 01:21:37 AM
Beginning at time of Reply # 34, the title of my thread in my original post, was changed somehow from:

Malaysian Boeing 777 Flight MH 370 disappears over the Gulf of Thailand

to

Crashed Malaysian Airlines Flight - Islam

Just Sayin' . . .

Sometimes the subject area gets inadvertently changed. All you have to do is change it back when you post which is what I just did.

Birdie

The news today about the Malaysian military tracking the plane after the transponder went out is fishy. Why would the military keep that information secret? Why waste time searching an area that is not the plane's last known location? This bothers me. I bet it really bothers the responding search teams from other countries, as well.
I was wondering why they moved the search to such an unlikely place yesterday, especially without a plausible explanation. I thought they were just desperate and grasping at straws.
The story keeps getting more and more strange. I am beginning to doubt we will ever know what really happened.

George Drooly

Quote from: Birdie on March 12, 2014, 02:23:58 AMI am beginning to doubt we will ever know what really happened.

I blame the children

VtaGeezer

The longer we go without knowing what happened to Flight 730, the more outlandish the possibilities presented become.  Last night our unfavorite idiot radio host actually asked a guest with an aviation safety background if Flight 730 "may have gone through a portal", thus setting a new threshold for stupid Noory questions and ensuring no rational C2C listener will admit to it in public.

coaster

China found some debris via satellite where the plane originally was thought to be and where an oil rigger claimed to see a plane crash. I think Malaysian authorities are responsible somehow. They had a witch doctor try to find the plane instead of helping China.

albrecht

I haven't yet tested. Has anyone? There is some controversy on the radio waves. If a cell phone is destroyed, or even off, and you call it do you here a ring, in your phone, first prior to get going to voicemail or message? That's what I thought but George claimed no. But Craig Lewis says yes. Various callers and guests claim different things. Put this deal about passenger's phones still "working" to bed.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on March 12, 2014, 04:55:13 PM
The longer we go without knowing what happened to Flight 730, the more outlandish the possibilities presented become.  Last night our unfavorite idiot radio host actually asked a guest with an aviation safety background if Flight 730 "may have gone through a portal", thus setting a new threshold for stupid Noory questions and ensuring no rational C2C listener will admit to it in public.

Was there ever any doubt Jorch would ask about a portal? Next will be angel sightings where the crash occurred. And then Ed Dames retroactively claiming he remote viewed the crash.

I've listened to C2C too long.  ::)

Foodlion

Quote from: albrecht on March 11, 2014, 09:27:37 PM
I, guess, the actuarial tables could consider an adult in the their "prime" age the worst loss. So let's say these days, early or mid 40's because already got into their career and now going to hit higher positions? So, money-wise, more loss cause already on track? Or, it could be argued, that from a human existence modality, that girls from 12-19 would be worth more (certainly the Arab actuaries might say) because they haven't yet, hopefully, reproduced, but are biologically prime to do so and for a few decades more with modern technology help breed more of the species and haven't lost their reproductive capacity or yet ruined it by drugs or whatever. Or, it could be from sentimentality and survival perspective, that those old people who died should be valued most. Who survived things like the Great Depression, The Cultural Revolution, the two world wars, etc because what they can teach us about war, deprivation, survival, forgiveness, and their experience. But, most likely, the reason why babies and young children deaths make headlines and are valued more is because they haven't yet had a chance to do anything. Make mistakes. Or Make history. Or tell their stories. Or have their own families. etc.
Makes sense.
We are all different people with different views on life. I can agree on that perspective.