• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

jazmunda

Quote from: HorrorReporter on June 12, 2013, 03:37:21 PM
Hmmmm.... What's he planning...?

Perhaps a cat version of hot or not?

Quick Karl

For Art to sit there and thumb his nose at listeners while a dolt turns C2C into a bad carnival side show, I think Art sucks.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Quick Karl on June 13, 2013, 02:22:02 AM
For Art to sit there and thumb his nose at listeners while a dolt turns C2C into a bad carnival side show, I think Art sucks.

while i both understand and share your frustration with art over his numerous false starts and the pleasure he seems to take in toying with his fans who just want to hear him on the radio again, i think it's a bit of a stretch to blame him for noory.  noory is not art, and art can't be blamed for the actions of another man or the corporate interest that continues to employ him.  art says he wasn't a factor in the choice of noory as host, and i believe him when he says that.  art is a company man, and he showed that when he said noory "gets it," but i think that's the extent of art's contribution to the noory decline.

soooo, i say blame art for being cryptic and stringing people along, but not for noory and what he's done to the show.

Morgus

Quote from: MV on June 13, 2013, 12:31:51 PM

while i both understand and share your frustration with art over his numerous false starts and the pleasure he seems to take in toying with his fans who just want to hear him on the radio again, i think it's a bit of a stretch to blame him for noory.  noory is not art, and art can't be blamed for the actions of another man or the corporate interest that continues to employ him.  art says he wasn't a factor in the choice of noory as host, and i believe him when he says that.  art is a company man, and he showed that when he said noory "gets it," but i think that's the extent of art's contribution to the noory decline.

soooo, i say blame art for being cryptic and stringing people along, but not for noory and what he's done to the show.
however you can blame Art for selling the show to PremRat in the first place, that allowed them to hire somebody like Noory and keep using Art's name for the show instead of Noory having to start from scratch without an existing show name recognition and built-in audience and huge number of affiliates.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Morgus on June 13, 2013, 01:04:20 PM
however you can blame Art for selling the show to PremRat in the first place, that allowed them to hire somebody like Noory.

i guess... but i'd do the same in art's position, given enough money.

Juan

when he said noory "gets it,"
Maybe he meant sNoory gets a fat check (for sNoory) and an ass fucking from corporate.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: MV on June 13, 2013, 01:05:45 PM

Not only that but I believe Art is genuinely trying to bridge the gap between "hope" or "potential" and reality with the constant fits and starts.  We all griped when he stayed silent, now we gripe when he communicates with us.  I am glad he thinks enough of his audience to keep interacting with us even though he's retired.  If he decides to come back, great!  If it's just one-liners on facebook, so be it.  Evidently artbell.com is on the way back, so maybe podcasting?  Online chat?    The point is that the man owes us nothing but apparently wants to stay involved with us.  I think we should cut him some slack.

Quote from: MV on June 13, 2013, 01:05:45 PM

Yep. 

What puzzles me is that people think that once something is sold, it still belongs to the original "originator". 
Don't get me wrong.  I think no one can come close to Art Bell on Coast.  But, and it's a BIG BUT, he walked away.  And I'm not trying to criticize him. It was his decision, and he was the only one to make it. More power to him. His original shows are still available, and he has a brand new life.

It's too bad about the crap-fest the show has become, but it has nothing to do with Art. 
But, and another big BUT, I do so like saying "nasty stuff" about the current "host"...  George Noory Sucks!  Oh, wait...wrong thread... :P

The way I remember the Noory "gets it" comment from Art was when a caller said that he didn't like the direction George was taking the show in, and Art responding with a brief discussion about the radio business, and the success or failure of a show coming down to one thing  - ratings.  In other words, if you got the ratings, you can do whatever you like, like take a late night, caller driven show about politics, and turn it into a UFO/ fringe science/paranormal show.  I always understood Art's comment to be that George gets the business, and in that regard, he is probably right.  No ratings = no Noory.

Agree wholeheartedly that Art was a company man, but would guess that (if my recollection is correct), that that means George is one, too.

onan

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 13, 2013, 07:06:56 PM
The way I remember the Noory "gets it" comment from Art was when a caller said that he didn't like the direction George was taking the show in, and Art responding with a brief discussion about the radio business, and the success or failure of a show coming down to one thing  - ratings.  In other words, if you got the ratings, you can do whatever you like, like take a late night, caller driven show about politics, and turn it into a UFO/ fringe science/paranormal show.  I always understood Art's comment to be that George gets the business, and in that regard, he is probably right.  No ratings = no Noory.

Agree wholeheartedly that Art was a company man, but would guess that (if my recollection is correct), that that means George is one, too.

It would be fun to hear that show again. I remember it differently, I remember Art saying george "gets it" rather emphatically regarding noory's understanding about the paranormal.

I remember Art saying Noory 'gets it' as in Noory getting the paranormal subject matter of c2c. In the beginning, I think Noory did until he began believing the smoke blown up his ass that he was somehow responsible for c2c's success, rather than having the great good fortune of a show like that falling into his lap. He was the Nighthawk on a moderately successful overnight show and maybe that's what caught PremRat's eye, but in the end he fell into the trap Art always avoided of moving to LA and becoming a company man, and a laughingstock along the way because he sold himself, Art's vision and the show out. And now he's just a lazy sod, coasting along on the ghost of what the show was, making it clear every night that he isn't prepared, doesn't give a shit and will remain or so he thinks, until he drops, because he's a company man.

Onan et al, you might be right, it was a long time ago and my memory ain't what it used to be.  But I am pretty sure that Art did make comments about ratings ultimately deciding whether or not George would be successful in his role.  Might well have been a different show than the "get's it" comment, though.

Scully

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 13, 2013, 07:06:56 PM

... Agree wholeheartedly that Art was a company man, but would guess that (if my recollection is correct), that that means George is one, too.

Guess we have different ideas of what a company man is.  I think George is a complete Premiere toady.  I think Art only did what he had to do until he couldn't stand it any longer and got up and walked away.

I'd pay a pretty penny for a book that tells the story of Art's relationship with Premiere, especially his abrupt departure after Ghost to Ghost in October 2010.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on June 13, 2013, 08:19:01 PM
I remember Art saying Noory 'gets it' as in Noory getting the paranormal subject matter of c2c. In the beginning, I think Noory did until he began believing the smoke blown up his ass that he was somehow responsible for c2c's success, rather than having the great good fortune of a show like that falling into his lap. He was the Nighthawk on a moderately successful overnight show and maybe that's what caught PremRat's eye, but in the end he fell into the trap Art always avoided of moving to LA and becoming a company man, and a laughingstock along the way because he sold himself, Art's vision and the show out. And now he's just a lazy sod, coasting along on the ghost of what the show was, making it clear every night that he isn't prepared, doesn't give a shit and will remain or so he thinks, until he drops, because he's a company man.

Agree except for that.  Noory isn't stupid enough to believe that he "created" C2C's success.  He knows where the show came from.  I think it maybe more that he's high on the fact that he's managed to keep it afloat and they haven't brought in Mike Seigel to replace him.

ItsOver

Quote from: Scully on June 14, 2013, 01:07:07 AM

Guess we have different ideas of what a company man is.  I think George is a complete Premiere toady.  I think Art only did what he had to do until he couldn't stand it any longer and got up and walked away....

That's my assessment.  Noory is a complete corporate shill.  Art's smart enough to know what the corporate game is and no doubt would play it, as required.  However, Art's always been somewhat of a rebel and likes doing things his way.  Once PremRat was in control, you could sense him chafing at the collar with the PremRat corporate weinies.  I have a hard time visualizing someone who likes to live in the middle of nowhere doing HAM radio as a "company man."

Morgus

Quote from: ItsOver on June 14, 2013, 06:42:15 AM

That's my assessment.  Noory is a complete corporate shill.  Art's smart enough to know what the corporate game is and no doubt would play it, as required.  However, Art's always been somewhat of a rebel and likes doing things his way.  Once PremRat was in control, you could sense him chafing at the collar with the PremRat corporate weinies.  I have a hard time visualizing someone who likes to live in the middle of nowhere doing HAM radio as a "company man."

Yes you can hear the shift in the shows between the early-mid 90s and the shows after Art sold the show to Clear Channel / PremRat around the end of the decade...

coaster

I imagine a lot of coast's listeners are too young to remember Art Bell, so they have no one to compare Noory to. If they had listened to Art in the past, they would know just how horrible Noory is as a host.

Quote from: Morgus on June 14, 2013, 01:10:08 PM
Yes you can hear the shift in the shows between the early-mid 90s and the shows after Art sold the show to Clear Channel / PremRat around the end of the decade...

There was a definite zeitgeist in the '90s that was perfect for Art/C2C... Sightings, X-Files, alien autopsy on were on TV, Star Trek still had a popular TV series, plus there were a bunch of blockbuster sci-fi movies like Contact etc.

The Noory version of C2C pairs itself perfectly with all the reality TV crud, endless movie remakes, blahbitty blah blah blah.

the 17th is Art's birthday. Maybe he will announce the flavor of his birthday cake on artbell.com.

Seriously, how long can someone leave a text question mark up ... ?? The count has been days.

Quote from: HorrorReporter on June 16, 2013, 09:21:31 PM
the 17th is Art's birthday. Maybe he will announce the flavor of his birthday cake on artbell.com.

Seriously, how long can someone leave a text question mark up ... ?? The count has been days.

I just went to artbell.com and there is a fugging question mark on the site? Hmmm............

SnapT

Art Bell has officially turned into The Riddler.

"Stay tuned, Batman!  Bwaaahahahahaha!"

Morgus

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on June 17, 2013, 03:48:12 PM
I just went to artbell.com and there is a fugging question mark on the site? Hmmm............
yeah that appeared about a week ago...

Quote from: SnapT on June 17, 2013, 04:13:21 PM
Art Bell has officially turned into The Riddler.

"Stay tuned, Batman!  Bwaaahahahahaha!"

lol, indeed. Art's b-day is today. Maybe he will announce something tonight at 10:00 PM.  ;D

VtaGeezer

Quote from: ItsOver on June 14, 2013, 06:42:15 AM

I have a hard time visualizing someone who likes to live in the middle of nowhere doing HAM radio as a "company man."

Bell will never come back to broadcast radio. Bell is a recluse who awoke one day to find his quirky little wee-hours program on UFOs, bigfoot, and ghosts had a grown into a vast nighttime institution...and he HATED that.  He never assimilated success. He couldn't deal with it. Fercrissakes, he was still broadcasting from his f'ing double-wide residence in Backwater Central NV long after C2C had grown into a huge success.  He's taken his Premiere deal winnings and retreated back into his comfort zone....obscurity, with a new Ham rig.

He could at least change the font color of the question mark to spice things up..

jazmunda

Quote from: HorrorReporter on June 18, 2013, 04:37:16 AM
He could at least change the font color of the question mark to spice things up..

The page is no longer displaying a question mark. It is now displaying an exclamation mark.

Are they fucking with us? How many more punctuation symbols until we get some real content.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on June 17, 2013, 05:17:29 PM
Bell will never come back to broadcast radio. Bell is a recluse who awoke one day to find his quirky little wee-hours program on UFOs, bigfoot, and ghosts had a grown into a vast nighttime institution...and he HATED that.  He never assimilated success. He couldn't deal with it. Fercrissakes, he was still broadcasting from his f'ing double-wide residence in Backwater Central NV long after C2C had grown into a huge success.  He's taken his Premiere deal winnings and retreated back into his comfort zone....obscurity, with a new Ham rig.
If this was the case, Art would have never gone mainstream, written his books, etc.

I keep going back to the fact that Art loves radio. Yeah, maybe they are fucking with us regarding his website, but something is in the works, it has to be. If Art doesn't come through after doing this on his website, he will alienate even his most loyal fans; me being one of them.

awguy

Quote from: VtaGeezer on June 17, 2013, 05:17:29 PM

I disagree. In Arts book, he says almost the opposite of this. People have accused Art of being a recluse (that's the exact word he used actually) but he has insisted that he is not. Art wanted a big overnight radio network. He changed the name from "West Coast AM" to Coast to Coast AM" and moved the time slot of the show to appeal to east coast stations.

However, Art has always been wary of big radio executives. The people up top who wanted to commercialize the show and make it as profitable as possible, even if it meant dumbing down the on air product. Many successful media personalities (Johnny Carson comes to mind) fought constantly with management.

I don't think Art sold the show to premiere directly (perhaps I'm wrong on this). He sold the show to a smaller company, which in turn was eventually bought by premiere. At that point, Art said "I'm outta here" . He knew he couldn't win this time in the radio corporate game.

With the exclamation point clearly someone is having fun.. But it would be better if we were in on the joke...

Juan

Quote from: awguy on June 18, 2013, 08:41:54 AM
I don't think Art sold the show to premiere directly (perhaps I'm wrong on this). He sold the show to a smaller company, which in turn was eventually bought by premiere. At that point, Art said "I'm outta here" . He knew he couldn't win this time in the radio corporate game.
Art made a syndication deal with Premiere, then Jacor bought Premiere, then Clear Channel bought Jacor.  After a few years, Art sold to Clear Channel's Premiere division.