• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Winter Holiday Thread

Started by pyewacket, December 04, 2015, 12:33:34 AM

pyewacket

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 26, 2016, 05:44:32 PM
Thanks for bringing the Winter Holiday Thread back, Pye.  I really enjoyed it last year and did you know that it was the inspiration of the 100 Years Ago thread?  (Hope we get to sing karaoke together at the 2016 BellGab office party.)

You're so sweet, Rix Gins! You need to thank K_dubb- he's the one who brought the thread back for this season. I was hoping that other people would start fun/interesting threads and I'm happy if I played a small part in that. :)

I'll be happy to hear you sing- it's better that I sit this one out.  I've tried it before- karaoke and liquor ...

pyewacket

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 26, 2016, 06:29:30 PM
That and your josticks.  ;) ;)

Cheers Sweetie Darling, but save your breath- you'll need it to blow up your date.  ;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: pyewacket on November 26, 2016, 07:28:02 PM
Cheers Sweetie Darling, but save your breath- you'll need it to blow up your date.  ;D

Aw, I did that last week. She's still pretty well inflated. Anyway...

pyewacket

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 26, 2016, 07:37:21 PM
Aw, I did that last week. She's still pretty well inflated. Anyway...

You can always tell when you buy a quality product.  ;D

I can't believe it's that time of year again.  :o

pyewacket

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on November 26, 2016, 07:58:08 PM
I can't believe it's that time of year again.  :o

Hi Ibby! You know what that means- time to decorate!

I found an interesting article about the history of Christmas lights:

http://gizmodo.com/5425395/christmas-lights-the-brief-and-strangely-interesting-history-of

albrecht

Quote from: pyewacket on November 26, 2016, 08:42:29 PM
Hi Ibby! You know what that means- time to decorate!

I found an interesting article about the history of Christmas lights:

http://gizmodo.com/5425395/christmas-lights-the-brief-and-strangely-interesting-history-of
Ha, I can easily see the electric companies and bulb mfgs trying to play up the Christmas lights! I still have several strings of the large, old kind for outdoor use that you can't plug in more than 2 strings together because it will blow the fuse and when I turn them on and look at my electric meter the wheels are spinning. One of these days I need to go LED but still somewhat expensive up-front cost and they also aren't as bright and the clear kind sort of give a more bluish white light.

pyewacket

Quote from: albrecht on November 26, 2016, 08:59:35 PM
Ha, I can easily see the electric companies and bulb mfgs trying to play up the Christmas lights! I still have several strings of the large, old kind for outdoor use that you can't plug in more than 2 strings together because it will blow the fuse and when I turn them on and look at my electric meter the wheels are spinning. One of these days I need to go LED but still somewhat expensive up-front cost and they also aren't as bright and the clear kind sort of give a more bluish white light.

I remember those, too! I did love those old tacky bubble lights as well.

I wonder how many posters here had one of those aluminium trees- we had a silver one with two color wheels that my mom loved. They seem to be gaining popularity with nostalgia seekers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjikbbC2PF0 

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on November 26, 2016, 08:59:35 PM

I know what you mean about the LEDs, but there are some with a great, warm color now that have fooled me until I got up close.

My absolute favorite are the old C7 bulbs that blink on and off randomly, not according to some set program in a box.  I once had my whole tree covered with them, and could stare at that crazy thing for hours.  But they gradually slow down and stop, like all truly great things.  :'(

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 27, 2016, 01:42:59 PM
I know what you mean about the LEDs, but there are some with a great, warm color now that have fooled me until I got up close.

My absolute favorite are the old C7 bulbs that blink on and off randomly, not according to some set program in a box.  I once had my whole tree covered with them, and could stare at that crazy thing for hours.  But they gradually slow down and stop, like all truly great things.  :'(
I think my old strings that draw so much power are C9 though I have some C7 strings also. I'll have to check out LED options. I'm told you can get cheaper now on Amazon etc from China but without "seeing" the lights I'm suspect that, at least the cheap ones, will have that "bluish white light" and not be bright enough. I do like the idea of saving energy costs and having bulbs that don't break easily when putting up, getting back out of storage, etc. If I was more motivated I would remove each bulb before storing but, alas, I take the easy way out and deal with breakage. Haha. Gonna put them up today.

K_Dubb

Quote from: pyewacket on November 26, 2016, 09:14:55 PM
I remember those, too! I did love those old tacky bubble lights as well.

I wonder how many posters here had one of those aluminium trees- we had a silver one with two color wheels that my mom loved. They seem to be gaining popularity with nostalgia seekers.

I love the pink!  Never seen a colored one before.  There's a tree lot near me that still does that heavy, tinted flocking with sparkles in it -- I got a huge blue one a few years ago that scandalized the family.  The best thing about that heavy flocking is that the needles don't drop off.

K_Dubb

For Advent, here is the absolutely gorgeous melody KoppÃ¥ngen (named after a sort of national park) played on the nyckelharpa.  There are countless sung versions (my favorite is by Orphei Drängar) with some in English, notably by Anne Sofie von Otter, but the English translation they use is a treacly (example:  "we share our dreams about our destination" seriously?) faith-affirming thing that captures none of the doubt and ambiguity of the Swedish lyrics (example:  "I can sing and believe it; let the message reach the skies"), so I've attempted my own, clumsy but definitely more faithful, with my new-found poet skillz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLxPvtzicQ4

Here is stillness and silence now that snow is the ground;
From the snug old church below me I can hear the choir's sound.
In the fast-falling twilight I have paused along my way,
And I'm resting here enchanted, caught between the night and day.

Through the old, pointed window I can see the candles' glow
That surrounds those within, their singing softened by the snowfall,
And know that this is, to those who've left us, how we must appear,
Like a flickering candle, as long as we are here.

As the stars, one by one, began to twinkle in the sky,
With my life so near I almost touched it, I could see that I
Stand caught here, like a handprint captured in the frosty rime
On a windowpane, my life prolonged but by the grace of time.

For a moment, I see forever, then it fades from sight.
For a second I live life fully in that blessed nighttime.
I stand still, transfixed, on my frozen road, but I'm warm here anyway,
Though the snow starts to fall and the sky turns into gray.

Now there's stillness and silence as the hymn draws to a close.
Though my mind forgot the words I find that, yes, my heart still knows,
And I sing to the sky above, which may or may not hear,
"Hosianna in the highest!", words that echo in my ear.

I walk down to those others, longing for the peace of Jul
As I long to believe that He is born and with us truly.
It is Christmastime and the child in me wants to trust that holy night,
And, each Sunday in Advent, a candle-flame I light.

pyewacket

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 27, 2016, 02:11:25 PM
For Advent, here is the absolutely gorgeous melody KoppÃ¥ngen (named after a sort of national park) played on the nyckelharpa.  There are countless sung versions (my favorite is by Orphei Drängar) with some in English, notably by Anne Sofie von Otter, but the English translation they use is a treacly faith-affirming thing that captures none of the doubt and ambiguity of the Swedish lyrics (example:  "I can sing and believe it; let the message reach the skies"), so I've attempted my own, clumsy but definitely more faithful, with my new-found poet skillz:

Here is stillness and silence now that snow is the ground;
From the snug old church below me I can hear the choir's sound.
In the fast-falling twilight I have paused along my way,
And I'm resting here enchanted, caught between the night and day.

Through the old, pointed window I can see the candles' glow
That surrounds those within, their singing softened by the snowfall,
And know that this is, to those who've left us, how we must appear,
Like a flickering candle, as long as we are here.

As the stars, one by one, began to twinkle in the sky,
With my life so near I almost touched it, I could see that I
Stand caught here, like a handprint captured in the frosty rime
On a windowpane, my life prolonged but by the grace of time.

For a moment, I see forever, then it fades from sight.
For a second I live life fully in that blessed nighttime.
I stand still, transfixed, on my frozen road, but I'm warm here anyway,
Though the snow starts to fall and the sky turns into gray.

Now there's stillness and silence as the hymn draws to a close.
Though my mind forgot the words I find that, yes, my heart still knows,
And I sing to the sky above, which may or may not hear,
"Hosianna in the highest!", words that echo in my ear.

I walk down to those others, longing for the peace of Jul
As I long to believe that He is born and with us truly.
It is Christmastime and the child in me wants to trust that holy night,
And, each Sunday in Advent, a candle-flame I light.

K_dubb this is beautiful!! I think you captured the sentiments and memories so well. I could close my eyes and see what you're describing. The older I get the more I can appreciate past traditions. I hope the younger generations are able to connect with the old- it would be a pity to let it all fade away in time. 

You sir, have great breadth and depth of understanding and expression- both qualities that I greatly admire and are a rare find these days.   :-*

K_Dubb

Quote from: pyewacket on November 27, 2016, 02:47:02 PM
K_dubb this is beautiful!! I think you captured the sentiments and memories so well. I could close my eyes and see what you're describing. The older I get the more I can appreciate past traditions. I hope the younger generations are able to connect with the old- it would be a pity to let it all fade away in time. 

You sir, have great breadth and depth of understanding and expression- both qualities that I greatly admire and are a rare find these days.   :-*

Oh thank you dear Pye, but all the good things are there in Swedish; I just tinkered with the end rhymes a bit to make them work in English.  I can't think of another song that says quite the same thing, and it makes me mad that the only translation I've heard leaves out the whole point of the song, which speaks to those of us who've left.

pyewacket

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 27, 2016, 03:04:54 PM
Oh thank you dear Pye, but all the good things are there in Swedish; I just tinkered with the end rhymes a bit to make them work in English.  I can't think of another song that says quite the same thing, and it makes me mad that the only translation I've heard leaves out the whole point of the song, which speaks to those of us who've left.

It still takes skill and a real grasp of meaning to make this happen. You captured true emotions and memories. I appreciate your effort.

K_Dubb

Quote from: pyewacket on November 27, 2016, 03:15:34 PM
It still takes skill and a real grasp of meaning to make this happen. You captured true emotions and memories. I appreciate your effort.

Thank you Pye, it was worth it.

pyewacket

I'm hoping to find more information about old traditions in the USA.

Quote from: articles.mcall.com
The history of Belsnickel: Santa's cranky cousin
Pennsylvania Dutch character carries candy for good boys and girls â€" and a hickory switch for naughty children
November 29, 2013|By Kathy Lauer-Williams, Of The Morning Call

A few nights before Christmas, a rap would come at the door. A cross-looking man wearing furs would step through the door. He held a hickory switch in one hand and a sack laden with candy and nuts in the other.

One by one, he called the children in the house forward and asked them to recite a poem, a Bible verse or math equations. He'd warn them to behave. Then he'd toss the goodies on the floor â€" but woe to children who forgot their manners and greedily dove for the candy and nuts. They might feel the sting of the switch on their backs.

Call him the dark side of Santa, but der Belsnickel's job was to remind little ones that they still had a little time left to behave before the benevolent Saint Nicholas would arrive on Christmas Eve.

A visit from the Belsnickel was just as common as a visit from Saint Nick about 125 years ago in Pennsylvania German regions of the Lehigh Valley.

The name Belsnickel literally means Saint Nicholas in furs, says Sarah Thayer of the Lehigh Valley Heritage Museum. The crotchety Belsnickel was a forerunner of the modern day Santa.

"All the traditions are interwoven," Thayer says. "He was one of the traditional Pennsylvania German gift bringers. It was very simple and non-commercial."

The Belsnickel was one of several companions of Saint Nicholas, a character who originated in the Rhine, which included Germany, France and Switzerland. When people immigrated to Pennsylvania, they brought their German traditions with them.

Thayer has talked to seniors who recalled being frightened by a visit from the Belsnickel. But his switch was more of a threat, she says, and few children actually were struck.

Through history, the Belsnickel took different forms. The most familiar is the dark tattered man in furs who carries a switch and candy. The second figure was more animal-like, and wore a mask with horns or a tongue. The third Belsnickel version was a slight figure dressed in white who slipped in through a keyhole and left gifts on a plate.

Bruce Rodenberger of Salisbury Township portrays the Belsnickel for the Lehigh Valley Heritage Museum. He says the character used to create excitement in the middle of winter. "It was a cold, dark and difficult time for people before electricity and modern heat," Rodenberger says. "He was really benevolent but made something of a ruckus when he showed up."

Rodenberger wears bells â€" "to be noisy" â€" and carries a whip, switch and a pillowcase full of candy.

"The idea is to look disheveled," he says. "I look frightening and scold them or threaten them if they're not good but gradually come around, making sure each child has a fist full of candy."

Rodenberger portrays Belsnickel for the Pennsylvania Dutch Christmas on Dec. 7 at Troxell-Steckel Farm Museum in Egypt. Traditional Belsnickels portrayed by other actors also can be found at the Old Time Christmas, Dec. 7, 8, 14 and 15 at Quiet Valley Living Historical Farm in Stroudsburg and Christmas on the Farm, Dec. 14 at the Pennsylvania German Cultural Heritage Center at Kutztown University.

Today's Belsnickel, Thayer says, is not a serious disciplinarian.

"He's a kinder, gentler Belsnickel," she says.

kathy.lauer@mcall.com
http://articles.mcall.com/2013-11-29/entertainment/mc-belsnickel-christmas-pennsylvania-dutch-20131129_1_candy-pennsylvania-dutch-christmas-furs

albrecht

Quote from: pyewacket on November 28, 2016, 05:15:46 PM
I'm hoping to find more information about old traditions in the USA.
http://articles.mcall.com/2013-11-29/entertainment/mc-belsnickel-christmas-pennsylvania-dutch-20131129_1_candy-pennsylvania-dutch-christmas-furs
Interesting. The Pennsyvania "Dutch" are really mainly German immigrants so it would make sense that they have that tradition. Neat to see they are keeping it. The real Dutch have a tradition somewhat similar. Their version of Santa comes earlier in the month on Dec 6th and is called Sinterklass and based off of St.Nicholas. He has a helper who is a little black guy called "Zwarte Piet" (Black Pete.) Sinterklass gives out treats to children but has a list! And if you were bad child during the last year Zwarte Piet will grab you and put you in a sack and take you back with him to Spain! (Which today doesn't seem like a bad thing but apparently was related to back when the Moors held Spain and used to take white slaves and kill Christians and of course you'd miss your family.) It is claimed that Sinterklass is the main source of the Anglo-American "Santa Claus" in terms of the look, list, etc but our Santa eliminates the bad side of the traditional legends (heck in the old days even a chunk of coal could be considered a good thing to get!)

Juan

If George ever has open lines again, you should call and claim to have seen Belsnickle several times as a child.  See if you can get the story ginned up.  Maybe claim he looked like Himmler.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on November 28, 2016, 06:35:14 PM
Interesting. The Pennsyvania "Dutch" are really mainly German immigrants so it would make sense that they have that tradition. Neat to see they are keeping it. The real Dutch have a tradition somewhat similar. Their version of Santa comes earlier in the month on Dec 6th and is called Sinterklass and based off of St.Nicholas. He has a helper who is a little black guy called "Zwarte Piet" (Black Pete.) Sinterklass gives out treats to children but has a list! And if you were bad child during the last year Zwarte Piet will grab you and put you in a sack and take you back with him to Spain! (Which today doesn't seem like a bad thing but apparently was related to back when the Moors held Spain and used to take white slaves and kill Christians and of course you'd miss your family.) It is claimed that Sinterklass is the main source of the Anglo-American "Santa Claus" in terms of the look, list, etc but our Santa eliminates the bad side of the traditional legends (heck in the old days even a chunk of coal could be considered a good thing to get!)

I may have mentioned this last year, but in Norway bad children get a lørt med langt bånd på -- a turd with a long ribbon on it.

I am curious how much of this tradition is standard universal bogeyman stuff to encourage good behavior, and how much might be ancient, pre-Christian belief.  I think children were threatened that the Julebukkers might punish them -- one might imagine this a useful way to channel the neighborhood toughs' talents against a particularly difficult adolescent in an age when a violent thrashing wasn't necessarily bad -- but whether this was in the service of any specific deity is a mystery.

pyewacket

Quote from: Juan on November 28, 2016, 06:44:42 PM
If George ever has open lines again, you should call and claim to have seen Belsnickle several times as a child.  See if you can get the story ginned up.  Maybe claim he looked like Himmler.

It would be funny to see if George could pronounce 'Belsnickle'.  ;D Yeah- he looked like Himmler and had a hook hand. Sounds like a job for Maryann- haha

pyewacket

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 28, 2016, 06:51:19 PM
I may have mentioned this last year, but in Norway bad children get a lørt med langt bånd på -- a turd with a long ribbon on it.

Is that where the South Park people got the idea for Mr. Hanky?  ;D Some traditions should not be kept- haha

How about the Yule Lads from Iceland

Quote from: smithsonianmag.com
Today, as the Museum describes, the Yule lads are:

Sheep-Cote Clod: He tries to suckle yews in farmer's sheep sheds

Gully Gawk: He steals foam from buckets of cow milk

Stubby: He's short and steals food from frying pans

Spoon Licker: He licks spoons

Pot Scraper, aka Pot Licker: He steals unwashed pots and licks them clean

Bowl Licker: He steals bowls of food from under the bed (back in the old days, Icelanders used to sometimes store bowls of food there - convenient for midnight snacking?)

Door Slammer: He stomps around and slams doors, keeping everyone awake

Skyr Gobbler: He eats up all the Icelandic yogurt (skyr)

Sausage Swiper: He loves stolen sausages

Window Peeper: He likes to creep outside windows and sometimes steal the stuff he sees inside

Door Sniffer: He has a huge nose and an insatiable appetite for stolen baked goods

Meat Hook: He snatches up any meat left out, especially smoked lamb

Candle Beggar: He steals candles, which used to be sought-after items in Iceland<

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/meet-the-thirteen-yule-lads-icelands-own-mischievous-santa-clauses-180948162/#x5TwoRhGAZDp35IU.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89dKjCO0Z3c

Juan

They look like a cold version of the Duck boys on our TV.

pyewacket

Quote from: Juan on November 28, 2016, 07:14:07 PM
They look like a cold version of the Duck boys on our TV.

Haha- The Yule boys for the creepier side of the holidays- I can think of a few people who do deserve a potato though...  ;D

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 28, 2016, 06:51:19 PM

I am curious how much of this tradition is standard universal bogeyman stuff to encourage good behavior, and how much might be ancient, pre-Christian belief.  I think children were threatened that the Julebukkers might punish them -- one might imagine this a useful way to channel the neighborhood toughs' talents against a particularly difficult adolescent in an age when a violent thrashing wasn't necessarily bad -- but whether this was in the service of any specific deity is a mystery.
Ha, I'm glad we didn't keep THAT tradition!

I think a lot is as you mention, practical and fun way to encourage good behavior, safety (don't go into woods or water alone, at night, etc) and social norms and mores but also clearly some ancient traditions were adopted into Christian ceremonies and practices. But also sort of fun I think (even today we like to be scared.) Frankly I think we should bring some of the 'bad element' back. There appears to be no "downside" for children these days, regardless of behavior, and they get far too many gifts to appreciate them in many cases. (I know that in many places and families this is not the case.) Not that we should bring the switch back, sack em and take them to Spain, or tie a ribbon on some shit for them! Haha.