• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

Eddie Coyle

Surrealistic feeling watching these celebrations...reminds me of the Iranian hostages being freed in '81 or the US Hockey team at Lake Placid in '80.

MV/Liberace!

so does anyone have the final word on what ed "shit bag" dames remote "viewed" about bin laden?

EvB

Quote from: The General on May 01, 2011, 09:57:25 PM
Is this coverage knocking "The Apprentice" off the air for the night?
Cause that's pretty funny, really.

thank you - I needed a major grin just now!  :D   ;D   :)

Bosco

Bin Laden Update:

In hockey terms:  Osama Bin Laden (upper body injury) will not return

EvB

Quote from: the_wanderer on May 01, 2011, 09:08:44 PM
the republicans will  need a new enemy now.

I'm not a fan of the republican party ( at least, not as it is today )  But we do, as a nation, economically and emotionally, seem to need an enemy.  So, yes, there will be a new enemy - but i don't think it can be blamed on a particular party.

Poly Styrene, singer of seminal punk band X-Ray Spex.

Quote from: Bosco on May 02, 2011, 12:00:06 AM
Bin Laden Update:

In hockey terms:  Osama Bin Laden (upper body injury) will not return

As a huge hockey fan, I just lol'ed my fucking ass off.  ;D

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 01, 2011, 09:11:12 PM
   Didn't realize Bin Laden was an ally of the Democrats....

I guess you havent seen the plethora of bumper stickers and heard the sound bites that 10 out of 10 muslim terrorists prefer/like obama.

onan

I read this on CNN this morning:

A senior administration official also said bin Laden's body would be "handled in accordance with Islamic practice and tradition. This is something that we take very seriously, and so therefore this is being handled in an appropriate manner."

I realize that many think this will show how sensitive we Americans are. But does anyone with even half a brain think that will sate the anger of zealots?

Forgive me for wanting an eye here, but bin laden was a shitbag dressed in turd sauce. And maybe I am too angry to be the voice of reason but bin laden wasn't in my way of thinking anywhere near spiritual.

In my opinion there are many that deserve respect and empathy for their suffering... but goddamnit so do we. The best bin laden deserves is to be burnt to a crisp and hung from a bridge (I wonder where I got that image from?)

Sorry I am in a pissy mood.

Lunger

Quote from: the_wanderer on May 01, 2011, 09:08:44 PM
the republicans will  need a new enemy now.

Yeah, after killing an ally of the libtards.....   what will they do?

onan

Quote from: Lunger on May 02, 2011, 07:05:20 AM

Yeah, after killing an ally of the libtards.....   what will they do?

Hopefully divorce themselves from the idiocy that would make a work like libtard.

The General

Quote from: onan on May 02, 2011, 06:21:42 AM

I realize that many think this will show how sensitive we Americans are. But does anyone with even half a brain think that will sate the anger of zealots?

Forgive me for wanting an eye here, but bin laden was a shitbag dressed in turd sauce. And maybe I am too angry to be the voice of reason but bin laden wasn't in my way of thinking anywhere near spiritual.

In my opinion there are many that deserve respect and empathy for their suffering... but goddamnit so do we. The best bin laden deserves is to be burnt to a crisp and hung from a bridge (I wonder where I got that image from?)

Sorry I am in a pissy mood.

BRAVO!  We kill him then we respect the muslim burial rites for him?  Fuck that.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Fly By Night on May 01, 2011, 09:33:59 PM
Thanks about the avatar. Your a lucky person to have that view! I only get to visit places like that

The Sonoran Desert is a beautiful, but intense place to live.  It helps if, like me, you love the heat.  But please everybody, don't mention that for at least half the year most people would find the weather perfect, like yesterday, when it might have hit 70 degrees at my house, 50 this morning.  We want everybody to think that it's insufferable here because we don't like to fund new freeways.  Thanks.

aldousburbank

The taking of OBL certainly raises President Obama's military legacy above the president that the Rushies compare him to the most; Carter.  Carter's failed Falkland and Iranian fiascos will never wash off, and no matter the repercussions yet unseen, President Obama's proven testosterone levels are now raising his global street cred.  Of course, we all await Rush's comments on the dispatching of OBL.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on May 02, 2011, 03:14:13 AM

I guess you havent seen the plethora of bumper stickers and heard the sound bites that 10 out of 10 muslim terrorists prefer/like obama.

"Plethora" of bumper stickers and sound bites? HARDLY. Wing-nuts, the kooks on the margins-yes, but it's far from common.

The "Republicans need a new enemy" post I was responding to is the type of idiocy which is de rigueur . On the surface it looks like a shot at the GOP(probably was), but couldn't it easily be interpreted as saying the Democrats are cowards and soft on Bin Laden...it's foolish. Democrats,by and large, having been calling for Bin Laden's demise as well. He was AMERICA'S enemy, it's not a fucking partisan issue.

EvB

Quote from: The General on May 02, 2011, 08:18:24 AM
BRAVO!  We kill him then we respect the muslim burial rites for him?  Fuck that.

1) it's right - are we to become what we despise? It's not, IMO - about respect for bin Laden - it's just about being descent.  He doesn't deserve it, it's about us not deserving to debase ourselves with pettiness.

2) (and more important) it's smart - why make crazy-angry people even more crazy angry?  He's dead.  As far as bin Laden himself is concerned, that seems like enough.

EvB

Quote from: onan on May 02, 2011, 06:21:42 AM

No. But why be as crazy as they?

Eeesh - sorry guys - it's hardly the time to be making noise as if i support any of Bin Laden's craziness - or that of those who follow him.  I don't mean that at all.

The General

Quote from: EvB on May 02, 2011, 09:30:55 AM
1) it's right - are we to become what we despise? It's not, IMO - about respect for bin Laden - it's just about being descent.  He doesn't deserve it, it's about us not deserving to debase ourselves with pettiness.

2) (and more important) it's smart - why make crazy-angry people even more crazy angry?  He's dead.  As far as bin Laden himself is concerned, that seems like enough.

It's not like I want the corpse desecrated or something ghastly.  I'm just saying, no rites, no prayers, no Congressman Ellison citing Quran verses.  Just a quick cremation or burial or whatever.  Or give the remains to his family in Saudi Arabia if you want Muslim burial rites.  I'd be fine with that.  But for the US Government to do it? INSANE.

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 02, 2011, 09:17:02 AM
         "Plethora" of bumper stickers and sound bites? HARDLY. Wing-nuts, the kooks on the margins-yes, but it's far from common.

The "Republicans need a new enemy" post I was responding to is the type of idiocy which is de rigueur . On the surface it looks like a shot at the GOP(probably was), but couldn't it easily be interpreted as saying the Democrats are cowards and soft on Bin Laden...it's foolish. Democrats,by and large, having been calling for Bin Laden's demise as well. He was AMERICA'S enemy, it's not a fucking partisan issue.

My apologies, I somehow took the tone of your post much differently than I now read it. again I apologize.

You are right it isn't or at least shouldn't be a partisan issue.

As to questioning plethora, perhaps it is just a local thing. But swear to the stars, in the last 2 weeks I have seen the same bumper sticker many times. Yes I do live in whacknut territory.

EvB

Quote from: The General on May 02, 2011, 09:43:30 AM
It's not like I want the corpse desecrated or something ghastly.  I'm just saying, no rites, no prayers, no Congressman Ellison citing Quran verses.  Just a quick cremation or burial or whatever.  Or give the remains to his family in Saudi Arabia if you want Muslim burial rites.  I'd be fine with that.  But for the US Government to do it? INSANE.

Hmm, yeah - I can see there would be a "middle way" that would not make us look like assholes. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on May 02, 2011, 09:48:54 AM

My apologies, I somehow took the tone of your post much differently than I now read it. again I apologize.

You are right it isn't or at least shouldn't be a partisan issue.

As to questioning plethora, perhaps it is just a local thing. But swear to the stars, in the last 2 weeks I have seen the same bumper sticker many times. Yes I do live in whacknut territory.

No apologies needed. I also live in an area high on whacknuts, BUT..they're conflicted due to being big time union guys, so they deeply dislike "liberals" on many social issues, but self-preservation(keeping their jobs)forces them to temper the hatred a bit.

onan

Quote from: EvB on May 02, 2011, 09:30:55 AM

No we shouldn't become what we despise. The offering of respect is certainly the honorable course. But, and I could be wrong, I think those we are trying to impress will see the gesture as hollow.

Returning the corpse to the family as The General suggests seems reasonable to me.

It seems schizoid to me to, on one hand to pursue the "mastermind of 9/11", offer millions in reward so we could hunt him down and kill him. And then on the other hand, once dead to "honor" him. Just seems nuts to me.

And yes I probably should have been more measured before posting about wanting an eye. But make no mistake Bin Laden's plan was malevolent for more than just the horrible day of 9/11. His plan was for the financial collapse of the USA. Which would have and may still bring havoc to us as a society in ways not yet thought of.

So I have a tough time with displaying homage to Bin Laden. Respect to his family and country, sure why not?

EvB

Quote from: Fly By Night on May 01, 2011, 09:16:43 PM
Screw politics on this event. BOTH Republicans and Democrats can agree on this one. This is great news. Altought I expect to see the crazy conspiracy theorists to be posting ramblings soon

I saw a video of that sort of thing - the person involved was an American journalist (well, and American I think is a journalist) speaking form Japan.  He was well spoken enough to make an interesting point or two - but DAMMIT I lost track of the video form the Google page while trying to connect to the YouTube version to post here. Now can't find it at all, even with the same search string (which, BTW - was "Bin Laden death aftermath")

anyway - he (the guy in Japan) mentioned:

Assassination as the retirement of a former CIA asset. (okay, I can see some connection here)
    The fact that his death has been announced many times before - so why do we believe it now? (um, am I getting really senile?  while I recall other reports of his death, I've never seen anything so world-wide huge as this.  It may be PR, but WTF?)
    The notion of "extra judicial" killings as a war crime.  I honestly don't know what the 'rules' are here - and i do wish, over-all - we'd play by the rules more often and thereby keep our noses out of other's business.  But this - well - at least my emotional reaction says it's not the same  thing as going after Gaddafi - which he compared it to. He also suggested that this announcement was being used as a distraction from issues surrounding Gaddafi.

To be fair to the actual report, you'd have to see it - but those are the talking points I noticed most.

EvB

Quote from: onan on May 02, 2011, 10:03:43 AM

No we shouldn't become what we despise. The offering of respect is certainly the honorable course. But, and I could be wrong, I think those we are trying to impress will see the gesture as hollow.

Returning the corpse to the family as The General suggests seems reasonable to me.

It seems schizoid to me to, on one hand to pursue the "mastermind of 9/11", offer millions in reward so we could hunt him down and kill him. And then on the other hand, once dead to "honor" him. Just seems nuts to me.

And yes I probably should have been more measured before posting about wanting an eye. But make no mistake Bin Laden's plan was malevolent for more than just the horrible day of 9/11. His plan was for the financial collapse of the USA. Which would have and may still bring havoc to us as a society in ways not yet thought of.

So I have a tough time with displaying homage to Bin Laden. Respect to his family and country, sure why not?

Well said!

aldousburbank

Interesting that they went after Quadaffi a day or so before the scheduled OBL raid- I've read that the latter was postponed for 24 hrs due to weather.

EvB

QuoteAnd yes I probably should have been more measured before posting about wanting an eye. But make no mistake Bin Laden's plan was malevolent for more than just the horrible day of 9/11. His plan was for the financial collapse of the USA. Which would have and may still bring havoc to us as a society in ways not yet thought of.

Oh, and Onan - I don't think anyone expects "measured" right now.  Whatever we think about all of this - it's going to strike emotional chords.

aldousburbank

From- http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/05/01/2011-05-01_osama_bin_laden_adolf_hitler_both_declared_dead_on_may_1.html

Osama Bin Laden and Adolf Hitler share a towering reputation for evil - and also an anniversary.

Both were declared dead on May 1.

Late on May 1, 1945 - about as late as President Obama's TV announcement Sunday - German radio announced that Hitler had fallen "fighting to the last breath against Bolshevism and for Germany."

He had actually committed suicide the day before.

In some cultures May 1 is the official beginning of summer. In many places, May Day is also Labor Day, a celebration of the working man.

May 1 is also the anniversary of President Bush's ill-conceived 2003 Mission Accomplished speech, prematurely announcing an end to combat in Iraq.

Obama, who might have used the words in his TV address, did not.

EvB

this is interesting - a poll on emotional reactions to OBL's death from the New York Daily.  Notice that "anger" is the top ranking answer.  But what does that tell you?  I imagine what it means is that thinking of OBL brings up their anger about what he stood for - but that's not clear form the poll.

It kinda makes me want to think  ;)

The General

Wow, Ev, that poll is ridiculous.
Confusion? Fear? Anger?  Who did they poll?  Pakistan?

Anyway, the #1 response SHOULD have been: satisfaction.