• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Metron2267

Quote from: Bobs Your Uncle on May 22, 2018, 03:21:54 PM
Don Ecker already has that one.

Aw crap, you're right!

I can't see him surrendering it either - crusty old guy that he is.

I wonder if Sirius has some copyright claim on Dark Matter (singular) as a program title.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 22, 2018, 03:13:31 PM
I like that...a LOT...

You have evoked Art's last great ponderance in the paranormal, repeated the network 's name, and Dave's podcast is "called Darkness Radio", so all the bases have been touched.

Very nice play, sir!

:) :) :)

I don’t see why they couldn’t make it happen. Huge PITA *maybe* in terms of marketing, etc.. I don’t really know. But Im starting to wonder what Dave thinks of all this? Would he perhaps welcome a bit of distance from Art?

Lola2001

Quote from: Robert on May 22, 2018, 01:01:41 PM
If Ms. Wade's the one who booked the guests Mr. Schrader's been interviewing, then:

EMPLOY MS. WADE AS BOOKER!  These have been vy interesting shows to me.  Ms. Wade's found her proper calling, & Mr. Schrader is a superior interviewer.  These shows have been more interesting than almost any of those I used to hear him m.c. on C2C.

See, everybody's happy.  Mr. Schrader's doing great interviews, Ms. Wade's booking good guests.  Now we just need to get Mr. Noory off C2C & have him record vocals for MITD bumper music.

Michelle booked the guests for Heather. Heather booked guests for Art until she took over the show.

Metron2267

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 22, 2018, 03:27:33 PM
I don’t see why they couldn’t make it happen. Huge PITA *maybe* in terms of marketing, etc.. I don’t really know. But Im starting to wonder what Dave thinks of all this? Would he perhaps welcome a bit of distance from Art?

Well prying the title away from Ecker would be tough, but Dark Matter (singular) might fly if Sirius doesn't own it.

The other possibility is just follow TV's lead and rip off the Brits.

"After Dark with Dave Schrader"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Dark_%28TV_series%29

After Dark was a British late-night live discussion programme broadcast on Channel 4 television between 1987 and 1997, and on the BBC in 2003. Roly Keating of the BBC described it as "one of the great television talk formats of all time"[1] and the Daily Mail as "the most intelligent, thought-provoking and interesting programme ever to have been on television".[2] In 2010 the television trade magazine Broadcast wrote "After Dark defined the first 10 years of Channel 4, just as Big Brother did for the second".[3]

Broadcast live and with no scheduled end time, the series, inspired by an Austrian programme called Club 2,[4] was considered to be a groundbreaking reinvention of the discussion programme format. The programme was hosted by a variety of presenters, and each episode had around half a dozen guests, often including a member of the public.

Quote from: Robert on May 22, 2018, 01:01:41 PM
EMPLOY MS. WADE AS BOOKER! 

You'd kinda have to make her employable? I mean, compiling lists of guests and phoning them occasionally might be doable between manic lapses, but who really wants to deal with that outside of beta cuck orbiters with fantastically compromised judgement (vara)?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Kolchak on May 22, 2018, 03:24:01 PM
That's what Karen calls it.

Yeah, I have to wonder if it was an inside joke she perpetuates for sentiment's sake.

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 22, 2018, 03:34:24 PM
Well prying the title away from Ecker would be tough, but Dark Matter (singular) might fly if Sirius doesn't own it.

The other possibility is just follow TV's lead and rip off the Brits.

"After Dark with Dave Schrader"

We don't have to be creatively bankrupt here.

GravitySucks

Quote from: DarKPenguiN on May 22, 2018, 03:24:39 PM
Damn every couple days theres another novels worth of text added to this thread.

WTB cliff notes.

Art Bell died
Heather Wade cried
Lasha Seniuk lied
Mr Winnie applied
Karen Jackson sighed
Joe Montonaldo tried
Michael Vera is fried
Liberace pried
<end of side one>

Hells Mole

Quote from: a is jump on May 22, 2018, 03:01:50 PM
According to the head of his html document, Carl is actually spinning the gold of artbellLegacy on Microsoft Frontpage, a WYSIWYG editor that's been discontinued for over a decade. Carl's version seems to be the one that was included in Office 2003.

Bleeding edge tech, here.

It's possible he is using WordPress to edit or manipulate code that was pulled from somewhere else that was originally created with Frontpage such as someone else's page, a template, or one he began on Frontpage before importing it.  The header could be a remnant that has not been stripped out due to him not noticing, not caring, or not even being aware if he uses WYSIWYG only and never manually surveys any of the code.

69CheckMate

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 22, 2018, 03:11:30 PM
Fair points both.

I think the CG tune could remain as an outro, but perhaps not every night.

The show really needs its own identity and each bit of Art's personal foibles that pile up do it legacy damage of you will. I mean suppose someone really makes the pedo charges stick, that would be an advertiser no-sell for MITD.

Meanwhile Dave has a good workmanlike style of his own, businesslike, a bit more aggressive than Art at times, but also some wry humor. I'd like to see him and Keith define a new paradigm in terms of branding and I'd like to suggest they consider making it millennial- friendly, however one manages that delicate advertising feat.

An aging late night audience and their memories are a sure fire way to send MITD to the same place newspapers and network TV have been going.

And for that we have George Noory!

And Karen still has her classic Art and Romona time and temp carts.

;)

Gee, thanks for deciding what us ol' non-millenials should be relegated to have to listen to.

ALL HAIL JUDGE MENTAL!

Corona Kitty

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 22, 2018, 03:44:13 PM
Art Bell died
Heather Wade cried
Lasha Seniuk lied
Mr Winnie applied
Joe Montonaldo tried
Michael Vera is fried
Liberace pried
<end of side one>

This is a good hakiu, well done.

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 22, 2018, 03:44:13 PM
Art Bell died
Heather Wade cried
Lasha Seniuk lied
Mr Winnie applied
Joe Montonaldo tried
Michael Vera is fried
Liberace pried
<end of side one>

I like it! :)

a is jump

Quote from: Hells Mole on May 22, 2018, 03:49:00 PM
It's possible he is using WordPress to edit or manipulate code that was pulled from somewhere else that was originally created with Frontpage such as someone else's page, a template, or one he began on Frontpage before importing it.  The header could be a remnant that has not been stripped out due to him not noticing, not caring, or not even being aware if he uses WYSIWYG only and never manually surveys any of the code.

Just from a performance standpoint, the site makes my head hurt. All of those buttons on the site are not actually styled buttons... they're images. Whyyyyyy

Hells Mole

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 22, 2018, 03:11:30 PM
Meanwhile Dave has a good workmanlike style of his own, businesslike, a bit more aggressive than Art at times, but also some wry humor. I'd like to see him and Keith define a new paradigm in terms of branding and I'd like to suggest they consider making it millennial- friendly, however one manages that delicate advertising feat.

It's already gone a long way to being millennial-friendly. It has a comparatively very fast past.  The guests are rapid-fire.  It's three hours instead of Art's original five hour format from C2C's heyday.  Two or three scratch-the-surface conversations before ejecting and moving on to the next.  It suits the micro attention spans of today.  They get a taste and if they are interested more in the guest or product they can do additional research immediately on line.  Nobody but truckers, lonely graveyard shift workers and me wants to hear slow-paced long form five hour interviews anymore.

With the short attention span though even if you get everything right to capture their interest it won't be for very long.  There's just too many options and endless new material thanks to the internet and the ease at which any person can create and publish content.  I think the days of shows like Art Bell's C2CAM with millions upon millions of live listeners are pretty much over.

Lola2001

This is the post I saw. Maybe I misunderstand.

ItsOver

Quote from: 69CheckMate on May 22, 2018, 03:50:40 PM
Gee, thanks for deciding what us ol' non-millenials should be relegated to have to listen to.

ALL HAIL JUDGE MENTAL!
Ha!  No kidding.  Jorch Noory and suckass ministry of propaganda newspapers.  I guess North Korea is too good for the rest of us.

Metron2267

Quote from: 69CheckMate on May 22, 2018, 03:50:40 PM

ALL HAIL JUDGE MENTAL!

Here's the thing - radio is already a dying medium ftmp, why let MITD trail off too?

http://thefuturebuzz.com/2013/07/16/am-fm-radio-is-already-over-and-no-one-will-miss-it/

So if digital "sounds" old, it gets the same cold shoulder Foolsbook is seeing from millennials now - a dating and sharing service for seniors.

Dave has already done a good job freshening the bumpers, he might take a listen to Mysterious Universe and their electronica theme, or he might use his own instincts.

The Crystal Gayle tune is a classic, but it's also a moldy old now that appeals primarily to aging boomers.

Kolchak

Quote from: Lola2001 on May 22, 2018, 03:57:53 PM
This is the post I saw. Maybe I misunderstand.

I think this is just one of Heather's cat lady followers tuning in and announcing that Heather wasn't on the air at that moment.

Hells Mole

Quote from: Bobs Your Uncle on May 22, 2018, 03:21:54 PM
Don Ecker already has that one.

It didn't stop Art from using it.  I imagine he would have sued most anyone else that did that but you'd have to have had some serious Law-Fu to go against Bell and his extensive financial and litigational prowess.

DynamoHum

Quote from: Lola2001 on May 22, 2018, 03:55:15 PM
On one of the FB groups.

Screenshot for context?

Edited to add: I see you posted one, thank you. Which group was this?

Metron2267

Quote from: Hells Mole on May 22, 2018, 04:00:28 PM
It didn't stop Art from using it.  I imagine he would have sued most anyone else that did that but you'd have to have had some serious Law-Fu to go against Bell and his extensive financial and litigational prowess.

Do you know who had it first, Art or Ecker?

I suppose it's doable to rebrand it "A Dark Matter with Dave Schrader", or some such variation.