• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: ItsOver on December 16, 2015, 10:50:49 PM
Wow.  The glory days of July.  I miss the Braaps madness.

Me too, Art and Hoagland were delivering a hell of a five hours of radio back then.

phrodo

Quote from: Cynnie on December 16, 2015, 10:39:25 PM
Yanno , arts wife and child are being terrorized and people act like art should just install machine guns at all the windows and throw the kid a sharpshooter manual .
I understand where art is at mentally.

I fully understand too. Asia is/was likely scared beyond shitless -- I would have been at her age given the circumstances. 
But I also know you should never give in to terrorists because they win if you do. And we lose.

Is it better to propagate living in fear or catching the bastard and Art gets to return to the air?

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: nika01 on December 16, 2015, 08:29:06 PM
I fail to understand how night vision, video cameras, and AR-15's couldnt have resolved this.

Waddya reckon?  Airyn crawling around with the Night Vision Goggles, Asia back in the security control room and Art on the roof with the rifle pointed towards the dead end?

It's the Bell Special Tactical Service!   ;D

trostol

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 16, 2015, 10:59:16 PM
Can you imagine what Hoagland's resume looks like?

I would be shocked. Richard's out for #1, that's abundantly clear.

i am guessing its 10 pages full of BS lol

The Snorchlax

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on December 16, 2015, 11:01:57 PM

Waddya reckon?  Airyn crawling around with the Night Vision Goggles, Asia back in the security control room and Art on the roof with the rifle pointed towards the dead end?

It's the Bell Special Tactical Service!   ;D

THey would have Art lay down land mines, fools

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: phrodo on December 16, 2015, 11:01:54 PM
I fully understand too. Asia is/was likely scared beyond shitless -- I would have been at her age given the circumstances. 
But I also know you should never give in to terrorists because they win if you do. And we lose.

Is it better to propagate living in fear or catching the bastard and Art gets to return to the air?

C'mon man. Really? You're right. Catch the bastard.

Giant mouse traps. That mouse Art saw was an omen, dammit.

zeebo

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 16, 2015, 11:01:28 PM
Me too, Art and Hoagland were delivering a hell of a five hours of radio back then.

The amount of radio-time sippin-scotch I was working through is a testament to that.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Art Bell on December 16, 2015, 07:56:49 PM
This person may never be caught unless I catch him and hold him at gunpoint till the cops get here, or I think far less likely one of the random Police patrols gets him. I have chewed this over from a million angles and it still comes down to most likely a crazy person because you have got to be crazy to fire shots at the end of a dead end road.

I will say I reacted emotionally when my Wife said she had had enough but that's life I guess and of course I miss it. I could have said I would just take a break till we get this resolved but I said what I said and you can't take words back.

I have said that if time passes without incident I might do a show every now and then to give Heather a night off but will do so unannounced.

I am going to remain a Bell Gabber.

Art

Art, whatever you agreed to with your wife is obviously a family decision, so it's your business and not ours. As for the rest of the situation, it seems to me that many of those expressing heartfelt support for you and yours are doing so, at least in part, because of what you've told us is at stake.

From what you've posted, you believe that the lives of you and your family are truly in danger and that the choice was either to continue risking everyone's lives, at great emotional cost, or end your hosting of the show. I would just ask that beyond spending however much time you're spending trying to get a handle on your intruder/trespasser/whatever, that you please make the effort to take several (more?) giant steps back and get some perspective.

Knowing what you know and have experienced, and what we have no way of knowing for ourselves, do you believe within a reasonable doubt, and do the police believe, that your lives are in real danger? I'm only asking because sometimes the emotional response to a perceived problem can either eclipse or magnify the problem itself. We've all been there. Worse, we've all had the experience of prioritizing the wrong problem, as hindsight bears out.

The other thing is that the consensus that seems to be emerging here is that, one way or another, if you're not back or don't announce that you will be back in the next few weeks, MITD and DM will simply die on the vine and fold.

I really hope that you make the best decisions possible at this point and that things somehow work out. There is no replacing you.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: The Snorchlax on December 16, 2015, 11:02:51 PM
THey would have Art lay down land mines, fools
Not really. That job should only be handled by professionals.

phrodo

Quote from: Gumby, Dammit on December 16, 2015, 11:03:56 PM
C'mon man. Really? You're right. Catch the bastard.

Giant mouse traps. That mouse Art saw was an omen, dammit.

Don't stop me now.. I'm on a roll dammit Gumby. I stopped short of placing a vintage Sherman tank parked in the cul-de-sac.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Stardust Ancestor on December 16, 2015, 11:00:17 PM
lol I just googled it. She ain't right in the head lol. Look at her pic

Melody Hensley
@MelodyHensley

Activist, atheist, secular humanist, intersectional feminist, fashion blogger, future eccentric old lady

She forgot "idiot"...   ;)

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: phrodo on December 16, 2015, 11:07:47 PM

Don't stop me now.. I'm on a roll dammit Gumby. I stopped short of placing a vintage Sherman tank parked in the cul-de-sac.
A tank would be cool, but what if the bad guy was a former tank guy? Woops.
There are LOTS of cool options. Like infrared video surveillance, for one. IF ya really wanted to catch the guy or gal. It's just really hard to imagine a tough guy like Art killing his show, holed-up and livin in fear.

Quote from: Stardust Ancestor on December 16, 2015, 11:00:17 PM
lol I just googled it. She ain't right in the head lol. Look at her pic

She's a special snowflake, isn't she?

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on December 16, 2015, 11:12:31 PM
Melody Hensley
@MelodyHensley

Activist, atheist, secular humanist, intersectional feminist, fashion blogger, future eccentric old lady

She forgot "idiot"...   ;)

She's a victim...

nneptune

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 16, 2015, 10:32:12 PM
Ha. Welcome to Bellgab, post often.
Thanks..
Norry's mustache smells of tumeric.

zeebo

Quote from: nneptune on December 16, 2015, 11:16:55 PM
Thanks..

You'll fit in just fine here.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: nneptune on December 16, 2015, 11:16:55 PM
Thanks..
Uggh.
Be truthful, you never get that close to it, right?
I mean it's GOT to smell of Tommy's ass.

whytide

Quote from: Value Of Pi on December 16, 2015, 11:05:43 PM
Art, ...
There is no replacing you.

True.

Also, consider the prospects for survival of Art Bell material. A lot of it will probably survive, IMO. But -- interviews conducted in the hi-speed Internet age are more likely to survive than pre-Internet interviews, at least it seems so to me. I am a relative late comer to the Art Bell world compared to some here, and I've only heard 1990s Art Bell interviews a few times. (It's not the 1990s anymore, when you had to send a snail mail letter to a station with a check and wait for cassette tapes in the mail. Note that some of the most-viewed Art Bell offerings on Youtube are 2013 Dark Matter Sirius interviews.)

The way I see it, if a man has a gift, he is obliged to share it with the world. Art Bell could do regular or occasional broadcasts for the next twenty years, if he wanted to. Seventy is by no means "old" in 2015. If Internet Age interviews are really much more likely to "survive," as I say, Art has got to do more. Not for us, but for posterity!  8)

I am with those who thought that some of the MITD shows were generally very good. Please come back, Art.

nneptune

Quote from: Gumby, Dammit on December 16, 2015, 11:19:45 PM
Uggh.
Be truthful, you never get that close to it, right?
I mean it's GOT to smell of Tommy's ass.

Bad cologne and Tommy's ass. <shiver>

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: nneptune on December 16, 2015, 11:23:45 PM
Bad cologne and Tommy's ass. <shiver>
Old Spice and ass flaps.
Jesus.

phrodo

Quote from: Shalom! on December 16, 2015, 11:15:05 PM
Doing just 1-2 shows a week should have satisfied the wife, the listeners, and of course Art Bell himself,
because I know he'll miss it like hell.
It would also keep the subscribers paying their subs - doing a random show once in a while probably wont.
ps. and I don't buy the shooter story, sorry.

If Art were to do the random show that would free up a lot of RANDOM time for him to lay in wait for the stalker to cruise by .. since he wouldn't know what day Art would be going to the guest house. Maybe even hire a body double wearing a vest/body armor to act like Art walking to the studio as bait??

SciFiAuthor

We really need technology to move faster so we can load Art into an AI. He can retire for good and we still get more shows from robo-Art. Well until it becomes self-aware and annihilates us all, but new shows won't matter at that point because we'll be dead.

trostol

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 16, 2015, 11:33:11 PM
We really need technology to move faster so we can load Art into an AI. He can retire and we get more shows. Well until it becomes self-aware and annihilates us all, but it won't matter at that point.

think we need to send a terminator back in time

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: phrodo on December 16, 2015, 11:28:06 PM
If Art were to do the random show that would free up a lot of RANDOM time for him to lay in wait for the stalker to cruise by .. since he wouldn't know what day Art would be going to the guest house. Maybe even hire a body double wearing a vest/body armor to act like Art walking to the studio as bait??
Or he could station a few Bigfoot out there. Because, remember Chewbacca?

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: trostol on December 16, 2015, 11:34:54 PM
Or as a joke send him way way forward in time.

SciFiAuthor

Can't, I broke it. I know it cost you a lot and I shouldn't have been using it as a can opener, but ya know, sorry.

ItsOver

The Jorchinator.  Sucked back in time.

trostol

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 16, 2015, 11:37:32 PM
Can't, I broke it. I know it cost you a lot and I shouldn't have been using it as a can opener, but ya know, sorry.

see this is why we cant have nice things and Skynet kills us

phrodo

But all said -- and I think I may have posted this here or maybe one of Art's FB threads --

I think that if the stalker REALLY wanted to injure Art he would already have done so. Therefore I think the stalker is full of shit. Making a threat and actually carrying it through are two different mindsets/crazys and an amount of penitentiary-years apart. The stalker has had a few chances to carry through his threats ... but apparently (and thankfully) only fired warning shots. So basically the stalker is merely another troll.

whytide

Quote from: phrodo on December 16, 2015, 11:41:51 PM
the stalker is merely another troll.

What kind of "troll" slices someone's Internet wires?