• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Missing Submarine

Started by albrecht, November 21, 2017, 06:22:40 PM

albrecht

Argentinean sub still missing and now experts are saying oxygen will be running out soon. I hope the situation resolves itself, cue "For Those In Peril On The Sea," and the sailors are rescued or can escape.
http://wqad.com/2017/11/21/argentina-missing-sub-could-be-out-of-oxygen-soon/
Their Navy can't find it and our Navy and others are helping to try to find. I know the ocean is vast but it is still weird how, with all our technology and trillion-dollar defense budgets, we can "lose contact" and not find things like submarines and planes. And what happened to the boat? Accident? Sunk? Defected?

starrmtn001

Quote from: albrecht on November 21, 2017, 06:22:40 PM
Argentinean sub still missing and now experts are saying oxygen will be running out soon. I hope the situation resolves itself, cue "For Those In Peril On The Sea," and the sailors are rescued or can escape.
http://wqad.com/2017/11/21/argentina-missing-sub-could-be-out-of-oxygen-soon/
Their Navy can't find it and our Navy and others are helping to try to find. I know the ocean is vast but it is still weird how, with all our technology and trillion-dollar defense budgets, we can "lose contact" and not find things like submarines and planes. And what happened to the boat? Accident? Sunk? Defected?
The Hunt For Red October?

starrmtn001

I've been on a submarine.

When I was a little girl, my uncle, Captain Ken Nauman, was stationed at the Coronado Naval Base in California.
My mother, grandma, and I were there for a family visit and Uncle Ken took us on a tour of the submarine under his command.  That was FUN! ;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 06:33:31 PM
I've been on a submarine.

When I was a little girl, my uncle, Captain Ken Nauman, was stationed at the Coronado Naval Base in California.
My mother, grandma, and I were there for a family visit and Uncle Ken took us on a tour of the submarine under his command.  That was FUN! ;D

You lucky duck! Cool!  8)

starrmtn001

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 06:31:00 PM
Das Boot.  Best submarine mover ever.
Good, yes, but hard to watch.  I think it was made in the 1930s.  Movies at that time were all B/W and usually a little choppy.  The sound was hard to hear too, even when my ears were young.  The premise, however, was excellent.

Hadn't heard about this - very sad to hear.

My favorite Submarine movie is The Enemy Below although half of the scenes involve a destroyer on the surface as well.
Bob Mitchum vs Curt Jurgens

Little bit biased as my Dad served on a Destroyer in WWII - this finger scene always made him cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XVrnXy15y4

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 06:38:47 PM
Good, yes, but hard to watch.  I think it was made in the 1930s.  Movies at that time were all B/W and usually a little choppy.  The sound was hard to hear too, even when my ears were young.  The premise, however, was excellent.

No, 1980's.  You must be thinking of something else.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 21, 2017, 06:42:20 PM
Hadn't heard about this - very sad to hear.

My favorite Submarine movie is The Enemy Below although half of the scenes involve a destroyer on the surface as well.
Bob Mitchum vs Curt Jurgens

Little bit biased as my Dad served on a Destroyer in WWII - this finger scene always made him cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XVrnXy15y4

That is probably second best for me then Hunt would be 3rd.

Excellent film from the early sound era is Devil and the Deep with Charles Laughton, Gary Cooper and Cary Grant.  Only the climax takes place on a submarine.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 06:48:22 PM
No, 1980's.
"Das Boot" is one of the few movies that I think is better when they rereleased to the theaters with surround sound audio etc but also one of those with various "versions" depending on year, theater, or tv- with some large length differences. Apparently they are remaking it into a tv show on Sky.

"Run Silent, Run Deep" was pretty good as I recall but haven't seen in forever.

Quote from: albrecht on November 21, 2017, 06:53:27 PM
"Das Boot" is one of the few movies that I think is better when they rereleased to the theaters with surround sound audio etc but also one of those with various "versions" depending on year, theater, or tv- with some large length differences. Apparently they are remaking it into a tv show on Sky.

First saw it in high school and was immediately enthralled.  Have watched it since and still great.

starrmtn001

Yes, it is sad.  I hope and pray they find the crew alive and in good health.
At least they know where they were last seen or heard from.
I agree with you, Albrecht, that with the advanced technology we have today, it shouldn't be that hard to locate them.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 06:49:21 PM

That is probably second best for me then Hunt would be 3rd.

Yeah - Hunt's probably #3 for me too.  Although Run Silent Run Deep is probably a close 4th - not that it's a great film but the
protagonist is called the cool name of Bungo Pete...........

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 06:56:48 PM
You can watch this free on YouTube. ;)

Why do that when I have the dvd?  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 21, 2017, 06:56:40 PM
Yeah - Hunt's probably #3 for me too.  Although Run Silent Run Deep is probably a close 4th - not that it's a great film but the

And Don Rickles debut in a serious role!

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 21, 2017, 06:56:40 PM

Yeah,  that is a good one but liked the others better.  Probably put it at 5 behind Devil and The Deep.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 06:58:59 PM
Yeah,  that is a good one but liked the others better.  Probably put it at 5 behind Devil and The Deep.

I'll have to look for that one - I've never seen it.  Laughton is pretty awesome.

starrmtn001

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 06:57:49 PM
Well, ya see, I didn't know that! :o    ;D

BTW, who is that guy in your avatar? 

starrmtn001

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 21, 2017, 07:00:33 PM
I'll have to look for that one - I've never seen it.  Laughton is pretty awesome.

Here ya go. ;)

https://youtu.be/jrXlLAINmV8

With Tallulah Bankhead, Gary Cooper, and Cary Grant.
And introducing, Charles Laughton.

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 07:00:36 PM
Well, ya see, I didn't know that! :o    ;D

BTW, who is that guy in your avatar?

I'm wondering if it is the Father or the Son?    I'm not sure without cheating.............

starrmtn001

Quote from: ItsOver on November 21, 2017, 07:01:52 PM
That's one helluva movie.

I didn't know it was re-made.  I'll have to find it and watch the newer one now.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 21, 2017, 07:05:03 PM
I'm wondering if it is the Father or the Son?    I'm not sure without cheating.............
Oops. :-[   Sorry Walks.  That question was meant for 21st.  My bad. :-[ :-[ :-[

starrmtn001

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 06:57:49 PM

Hey, 21st.  Who is that guy in your avatar?

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 07:07:41 PM
Oops. :-[   Sorry Walks.  That question was meant for 21st.  My bad. :-[ :-[ :-[

No - not your bad.   I'm thinking I know who it is but there's a Dad and a Son that look alike.  Not sure which one it is but don't want to cheat
with image search...............     8)

I'll guess it's the Son

starrmtn001

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 07:04:16 PM
Here ya go. ;)

https://youtu.be/jrXlLAINmV8

I started playing this to get the cast names.  Think I'll keep watching.  Good stuff. ;) ;D

starrmtn001

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 21, 2017, 07:10:31 PM
No - not your bad.   I'm thinking I know who it is but there's a Dad and a Son that look alike.  Not sure which one it is but don't want to cheat
with image search...............     8)

I'll guess it's the Son
Your avatar reminds me of a poster for the Exorcist, but I don't think it is.

albrecht

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 21, 2017, 07:04:16 PM
Here ya go. ;)

Wow, that is quite a great cast!!

Btw, as far as I know "Das Boot" wasn't remade but modified/released by different cuts depending on where/how shown and format (and improving audio channels) but I just saw on interwebs that they plan to remake it as a tv show or mini-series on Sky but I don't have any details.