• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 20, 2015, 08:57:53 PM
At least in baseball they haven't fucked it up to the point we don't know what it and is not a catch yet.  Give 'em time.

They did for the first few weeks of the season then everyone complained and MLB changed it back.

The Giants did what they should have done after the 2014 season - signed a couple starting pitchers, and just added a defensive center fielder who can bat leadoff.  They could still use some bench strength, and the relievers are another year older, but the main holes are filled

Baring injuries to key players at playoff time, they should be the favorites to win the World Series.

If anyone is interested in watching the 1960 Home Run Derby TV show, it's on Saturdays and Sundays on The Works network at 9 eastern time.  Quite a few of the contestants are future Hall of Famers, such as Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Harmon Killebrew, Ernie Banks, along with others who aren't as well known but were some of the premier power hitters of the day.  It was filmed in Wrigley Field on Catalina Island, which was owned by then Cubs owner Philip K. Wrigley (who also owned the island) and has ivy covered walls like the one in Chicago.  The production values are very cheap by today's standards, and for some odd reason the producers apparently decided not to have an audience so the stands are empty, which gives it kind of a bleak atmosphere. The interaction between the host and the players is stilted and probably scripted to some extent, but that just adds to the cheesy retro fun of the show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Run_Derby_%28TV_series%29

ShayP

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 21, 2016, 01:56:04 PM
If anyone is interested in watching the 1960 Home Run Derby TV show, it's on Saturdays and Sundays on The Works network at 9 eastern time.  Quite a few of the contestants are future Hall of Famers, such as Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Harmon Killebrew, Ernie Banks, along with others who aren't as well known but were some of the premier power hitters of the day.  It was filmed in Wrigley Field on Catalina Island, which was owned by then Cubs owner Philip K. Wrigley (who also owned the island) and has ivy covered walls like the one in Chicago.  The production values are very cheap by today's standards, and for some odd reason the producers apparently decided not to have an audience so the stands are empty, which gives it kind of a bleak atmosphere. The interaction between the host and the players is stilted and probably scripted to some extent, but that just adds to the cheesy retro fun of the show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Run_Derby_%28TV_series%29

Can't get that here in Virginia.  I do remember seeing reruns of this when I was a kid in Pittsburgh.  Not sure what network.  I recall Mickey Mantle especially.  8)

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 10, 2016, 12:51:16 AM
The Giants did what they should have done after the 2014 season - signed a couple starting pitchers, and just added a defensive center fielder who can bat leadoff.  They could still use some bench strength, and the relievers are another year older, but the main holes are filled

Baring injuries to key players at playoff time, they should be the favorites to win the World Series.
It's the end of Timmy-Time.  I'm going to be upset if The Freak goes to the Padres, or to any  competitor NL team.  I'm still pissed at Juan Uribe for signing with the LA Dogs.

pate

Royals have signed 2015 All-Star, World Series Champion, & MVP catcher Salvadore "Salvy" Perez on for five more years.  I love it.

Spring training games, now if I can find some on the radio, I can be happy.  Forget that silly basket-weaver game that is all the rage this time of year.

Royals Spring Training

This year is already crazy.
White Sox GM told 1B Adam LaRoche he would have to bring his kid to the clubhouse less during the regular season and LaRoche announced his retirement.

South Side Sox has a hilarious discussion.
http://www.southsidesox.com/2016/3/16/11248332/adam-laroche-chooses-family-over-baseball

SouthSideSox is a lot like Bellgab: love-hate relationship with their team, posts quickly devolve into other topics, and they even have European posters that have never been to a baseball game.
(See if you can guess who I am)

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 17, 2016, 07:22:21 AM
This year is already crazy.
White Sox GM told 1B Adam LaRoche he would have to bring his kid to the clubhouse less during the regular season and LaRoche announced his retirement.

South Side Sox has a hilarious discussion.
http://www.southsidesox.com/2016/3/16/11248332/adam-laroche-chooses-family-over-baseball

SouthSideSox is a lot like Bellgab: love-hate relationship with their team, posts quickly devolve into other topics, and they even have European posters that have never been to a baseball game.
(See if you can guess who I am)

I mostly follow the local teams, and have weaned myself off of actually watching or going to games.  I've barely heard of this guy.

When I read the story a day or two ago, it said  last year he'd signed a 2 year contract for $25 million, and was leaving $13 million of it on the table by walking away from the second year.  And that he was 36 and hit .207 last year.  I look up the rest of the stats and find out his production dropped off dramatically to 12 HRs, 41 Runs Scored, 44 RBI, and he whiffed 133 times.  Well, does he help his team in the field?  No, 2/3 of the time he's the DH.

The White Sox ought to be thrilled to get out of this contract.  Am I missing something?

Why isn't his child in school like the other 14 year olds? Too many parents wants to be friends instead of parents.

Giants fans remember Laroche for being offered good money to come to SF but he chose to go to Washington instead for less money because he doesn't like San Francisco. Our fans are quick to remind him about it. Think he's a strange cat.

The last time a kid hung around the locker room that long, JT Snow saved his life on home plate.

having your kid constantly around the team and locker room reminds me of this guy

trostol

Quote from: Crash Folly on March 17, 2016, 10:27:45 AM
Why isn't his child in school like the other 14 year olds? Too many parents wants to be friends instead of parents.

Giants fans remember Laroche for being offered good money to come to SF but he chose to go to Washington instead for less money because he doesn't like San Francisco. Our fans are quick to remind him about it. Think he's a strange cat.

The last time a kid hung around the locker room that long, JT Snow saved his life on home plate.

having your kid constantly around the team and locker room reminds me of this guy

i couldn't tell you why..perhaps the kid has a tutor on the road with him...perhaps Adam felt it best to have this time with his son now why he can before the boy was off on his own doing what ever he wants to do..it is a weird situation but seemed to upset the president more than any one else..i think ultimately it should have been the managers call or the players..but

Quote from: trostol on March 17, 2016, 02:03:25 PM
...it is a weird situation but seemed to upset the president more than any one else..i think ultimately it should have been the managers call or the players..but

It's inappropriate.  The players and manager need to have a good day-to-day relationship with him, so it should fall to the GM or someone in management to tell him to dial it back a little.  Someone had to tell him he can't bring his kid to practice and into the clubhouse every single day?, wow.  He'd rather walk over this than collect $13 million to play another season and possibly end his career on a better note last year's performance?  The guy's a pampered ass, he should go hang out with Johnny Football or JaWalrus Russell.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 17, 2016, 08:01:07 AM
I mostly follow the local teams, and have weaned myself off of actually watching or going to games.  I've barely heard of this guy.

San Jose Giants P*B. Great park, players are very kind to the young folks, beautiful sunsets.

3OctaveFart

Adam Eaton says the White Sox have lost a "leader" in 14-year-old Drake LaRoche.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/4699033-adam-laroche-son-drake-white-sox-clubhouse-adam-eaton

I'm ready for this story to take a hike.

Quote from: Meatie Pie on March 19, 2016, 06:51:55 PM
Adam Eaton says the White Sox have lost a "leader" in 14-year-old Drake LaRoche...

Well, now they have an excuse for not winning..

Quote from: Meatie Pie on March 19, 2016, 06:51:55 PM
I'm ready for this story to take a hike.

South Side Sox usually hates (President) Kenny Williams but they are all sticking up for him this time-it's eerie.
The general consensus over there is "Shut up and do your job".

3OctaveFart

Mind Flayer Monk-

I read the link you posted, very entertaining discussion.

Kenny Williams has a well-earned reputation as a doofus (at least as personnel goes) but the guy is the president of the organization. There should have been no debate.

Chris Sale is coming off like a huge drama queen in all of this.

Twenty-nine other teams are talking about their goals two weeks from Opening Day and the White Sox are talking about a high-school freshman.

pate

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 17, 2016, 08:01:07 AM
I mostly follow the local teams...

How about the Nationals (Wash, DC?)

In other baseball news:  Tigers shoe St. Lu?

Nfer...

Zetaspeak

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 20, 2016, 08:54:03 AM
South Side Sox usually hates (President) Kenny Williams but they are all sticking up for him this time-it's eerie.
The general consensus over there is "Shut up and do your job".

I am actually kind of surprised by that, but I have to agree. It's cool to bring your kid once in a while to work, but when it becomes a "regular" thing it just brings added situations and possible distractions that are just not needed.

Taco Bell

Quote from: Zetaspeak on April 04, 2016, 10:38:41 PM
I am actually kind of surprised by that, but I have to agree. It's cool to bring your kid once in a while to work, but when it becomes a "regular" thing it just brings added situations and possible distractions that are just not needed.

Just imagine how much dad dick that kid has seen in this time at the clubhouse. Gross.

ponyboysunset

Praying to God my Tigers don't suck as bad as they did last year. Sigh.

GravitySucks

Cubs start their season with a quest to break the 108 year old drought and destroy the curse of the goat once and for all. Started off on the right foot. 9-0 win against the Angels on the road. Go Cubbies!

ponyboysunset

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 05, 2016, 09:39:04 AM
Cubs start their season with a quest to break the 108 year old drought and destroy the curse of the goat once and for all. Started off on the right foot. 9-0 win against the Angels on the road. Go Cubbies!
I watched a lot of that game as Tmobile is giving out free MLB passes for the whole season. So I streamed it on my Roku. I love my Cubbies. I have a Cubs tattoos as well that I got in Chicago in Wrigleyville.

Ms. C

Quote from: ponyboysunset on April 05, 2016, 09:34:49 AM
Praying to God my Tigers don't suck as bad as they did last year. Sigh.
They won't!!!!  Verlander's healthy and back in charge of Tigers staff (pitching) ... first pitch tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Marlin territory.

3OctaveFart

I miss Eddie on this thread.

A's ace Sonny Gray comes down with food poisoning and Oakland has to start Rich Hill, a LOOGY who has started four games since 2009, and he doesn't make it out of the third inning.

Anibal Sánchez pitched 5 innings for the Tigers today and did *not* pull,tear, strain or tweak anything.

Imagine that?    ::)

Ms. C

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 06, 2016, 06:49:50 PM
Anibal Sánchez pitched 5 innings for the Tigers today and did *not* pull,tear, strain or tweak anything.

Imagine that?    ::)
Tigers won!  Swept the 2 game series!  Hope it keeps the motivation up.

Jake Arrieta threw a no-hitter against the Reds tonight and the Cubs won 16-0, which is the largest margin of victory since James " Pud" Galvin and the Buffalo Bisons beat the Detriot Wolverines in 1884, and is about as lopsided as it gets.  I watched the game, and he didn't look sharp through the first six innings.  He had great movement, but his location was off.  He finished the sixth with eighty-five pitches, and then found his rhythm and threw just thirty-four more, mostly getting the hitters out on weak contact.  It was his second no-hitter in eleven regular season starts, and he hasn't lost a regular season game since his first one. He also helped his own cause by getting two hits. It doesn't get any better than that!

And if anyone was wondering, this is what "Yorkshire" Pud Galvin looked like.

Check out this amazing slide by Javier Baez to get a stolen base in last night's Cubs/Brewers game. It's one of the slickest evasive maneuvers I've ever seen. It wound up being an important play, because he scored later and his run was the margin of victory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNeTvkikMJ8

albrecht

Curt Shilling erased by ESPN in documentary about the 2004 season. (Earlier they fired him because he wasn't leftist enough for them.) Remember when ESPN was fun and was about sports and not all about politics, spousal abuse, sexuality, fund raising to fight various diseases, gender-bending, social causes, etc?
http://nypost.com/2016/05/02/espn-goes-stalinist-by-erasing-curt-schilling-from-history/