• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

SiriusXM streaming app "Logged out due to inactivity" problem

Started by devoidzero, September 11, 2013, 09:38:22 AM

devoidzero

If one decides to record SiriusXM shows using a streaming app (whether it be the web app or a mobile app), one runs into the issue of the stream stopping every hour with the message, "You have been logged out due to inactivity."  If you press OK the show resumes, but you have lost that few seconds of audio (and much more if you're not able to be around to press it). 

There have been "unofficial" apps in the past that have circumvented this problem (i.e. MusicDock for iOS and SiriusXMStreamer for Windows).  However, since Sirius keeps changing their API these no longer work for all channels (including Indie, the channel that Art Bell's Dark Matter will be on).

I'm sure that others will be recording the show, but I'd like to be able to do it for myself to have more control (i.e. bitrate, file and ID3 tag naming), and the most convenient way would be recording the audio from one of the streaming apps.  Does anyone know of a way of getting around this problem, short of buying a physical XM radio and recording the audio output from that?

If you are using the app, your best best might just be to change the channel briefly during one of the commercial breaks and then change it back to Channel 104, and then just edit out the audio of the brief channel change(s) using audacity.

The app times out after 90 minutes of activity, as does the web-based online player. The SiriusXM tabletop radio (called the TTR1) does not seem to have the timeout issue, at least in my experience. So yeah, either that or recording the audio output from a physical xm satellite radio might be your best options - hope this helps, as I'm a longtime SiriusXM user.

williedee

as someone who knows how little bandwidth streaming talk radio uses, i can't believe they have a 90 minute timeout. It should be 6+ hours if not longer.

Quote from: williedee on September 11, 2013, 10:53:05 AM
as someone who knows how little bandwidth streaming talk radio uses, i can't believe they have a 90 minute timeout. It should be 6+ hours if not longer.

I agree, it's completely ridiculous.

bateman

Quote from: williedee on September 11, 2013, 10:53:05 AM

Just wondering, do you happen to know how much data I'd be using over cellular if I was streaming an hour of Art before I had access to wifi again..?

indigoo

Quote from: DontFearTheReaper on September 11, 2013, 10:41:32 AM
If you are using the app, your best best might just be to change the channel briefly during one of the commercial breaks and then change it back to Channel 104, and then just edit out the audio of the brief channel change(s) using audacity.

The app times out after 90 minutes of activity, as does the web-based online player. The SiriusXM tabletop radio (called the TTR1) does not seem to have the timeout issue, at least in my experience. So yeah, either that or recording the audio output from a physical xm satellite radio might be your best options - hope this helps, as I'm a longtime SiriusXM user.

This. A lot of the online radio apps do this for some reason.

devoidzero

Quote from: DontFearTheReaper on September 11, 2013, 10:41:32 AM

OK it's 90 minutes, my bad.  Yeah, the thing is I won't always be around to reactivate the stream when it times out (I record using a timer).  I looked up the tabletop SXM Internet radio on Amazon, and there are lots of one star reviews that say it is constantly buffering or dropping the connection.  Have you experienced this?

The other option is buying an actual satellite radio, but I'd need to get the outdoor antenna (more $$), and it's more of a hassle to setup.  I'd go with the tabletop if I was sure it was reliable.

Quote from: devoidzero on September 11, 2013, 01:13:33 PM
OK it's 90 minutes, my bad.  Yeah, the thing is I won't always be around to reactivate the stream when it times out (I record using a timer).  I looked up the tabletop SXM Internet radio on Amazon, and there are lots of one star reviews that say it is constantly buffering or dropping the connection.  Have you experienced this?

The other option is buying an actual satellite radio, but I'd need to get the outdoor antenna (more $$), and it's more of a hassle to setup.  I'd go with the tabletop if I was sure it was reliable.

I've definitely read those same reviews, but I can only speak to my experience with the tabletop radio. I got it off of Best Buy a few weeks ago for $50 and have not had any problems - I connect to it via wi-fi and have not had any issues at all, but I believe it can also be used with a "wired" connection. I would imagine the wired connection would solve any stream issues (except for a stream issue coming directly from the SiriusXM online servers themselves). Again, I can only speak to the experience I've had with it.

In terms of a satellite radio itself, it can be a bit of a hassle to set up the antenna initially, but once everything is setup it should work flawlessly. I used to have one in my bedroom, with the antenna just on my nightstand (which was near a south facing window) and I never had any issues with signal drops.

onan

I am fairly certain the shows will be available for down loading.

As for the timer... all I can say is my channels aren't dropping due to inactivity. I have no idea why that is.

The shows will definitely be available for downloading, but my understanding (based on how the other talk shows on SiriusXM do it) is that the downloads are "in-app" and only valid for a certain period of time.

For example, one of the other flagship shows on XM 104 is Stand Up! With Pete Dominick. You can download the shows but only listen to them within the SiriusXM app, and they automatically delete themselves I believe 14 days after they are uploaded. They usually keep 7 to 10 shows in the rolling archive at any given time.

onan

Quote from: DontFearTheReaper on September 11, 2013, 01:54:59 PM
The shows will definitely be available for downloading, but my understanding (based on how the other talk shows on SiriusXM do it) is that the downloads are "in-app" and only valid for a certain period of time.

For example, one of the other flagship shows on XM 104 is Stand Up! With Pete Dominick. You can download the shows but only listen to them within the SiriusXM app, and they automatically delete themselves I believe 14 days after they are uploaded. They usually keep 7 to 10 shows in the rolling archive at any given time.

ugh!

PM me

lonevoice

I wanted a tabletop radio for bed time listening.  After some research, I decided against the Sirius-branded one and went with the one from Grace Digital.  It costs more, but it also does a lot more.  It has 446 reviews on amazon with a 4.2 rating.  Besides sirius, it does a great job with Pandora, Live365, iHeartRadio, etc. etc.  The 3.5" display is beautiful, and the user-interface is easy to use.

It has the sirius app pre-installed, though I haven't activated it yet...waiting for a few more days to pull the trigger on the 30-day free trial.    I've been giving the Grace Digial radio a pretty heavy workout for several weeks now, and it's been without fault.  The sound quality, even without separate speakers, is pretty great.  I don't know yet if it will have the same time out issue as the Sirius radio has...possibly so.  If it's an issue, this radio can also go with an ethernet connection.

amazon link:  http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-3-5-Inch-Display-GDI-IRC6000/dp/B004YI9NTS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378929274&sr=8-2&keywords=grace+digital+mondo

Quote from: lonevoice on September 11, 2013, 02:11:31 PM
I wanted a tabletop radio for bed time listening.  After some research, I decided against the Sirius-branded one and went with the one from Grace Digital.  It costs more, but it also does a lot more.  It has 446 reviews on amazon with a 4.2 rating.  Besides sirius, it does a great job with Pandora, Live365, iHeartRadio, etc. etc.  The 3.5" display is beautiful, and the user-interface is easy to use.

It has the sirius app pre-installed, though I haven't activated it yet...waiting for a few more days to pull the trigger on the 30-day free trial.    I've been giving the Grace Digial radio a pretty heavy workout for several weeks now, and it's been without fault.  The sound quality, even without separate speakers, is pretty great.  I don't know yet if it will have the same time out issue as the Sirius radio has...possibly so.  If it's an issue, this radio can also go with an ethernet connection.

amazon link:  http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-3-5-Inch-Display-GDI-IRC6000/dp/B004YI9NTS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378929274&sr=8-2&keywords=grace+digital+mondo

Those are supposed to be fantastic radios, too. I am trying to decide between the Grace Mondo or the Logitech UE Smart Radio - both have their quirks but one doesn't seem to be better than the other, from the reviews I have read.

onan

I am not sure, but I think using an app like doitagain will keep your siriusxm stream running.

williedee

Quote from: bateman on September 11, 2013, 11:19:42 AM
Just wondering, do you happen to know how much data I'd be using over cellular if I was streaming an hour of Art before I had access to wifi again..?

Well, if the bitrate is.. 48kbps (2x that of the art bell shoutcast streams) which is entirely possible. You'd be using  about 20 megabytes per hour. (48kbps*1h). Even if it was 96kbps (which is very high for talk) it would still be only  around 45 megabytes.

bateman

Quote from: williedee on September 11, 2013, 03:19:59 PM
Well, if the bitrate is.. 48kbps (2x that of the art bell shoutcast streams) which is entirely possible. You'd be using  about 20 megabytes per hour. (48kbps*1h). Even if it was 96kbps (which is very high for talk) it would still be only  around 45 megabytes.

Hmmm, thanks!

bateman

Another potentially silly question. My schedule is going to make this kind of a pain in the ass, but I'll make it work somehow.

Can I record the show over wifi, on my iPhone or iPod, then when I get in my car after the show's over, play it back..? Meaning, it has to be stored locally on one of my devices, so as not to incur any data charges.

I don't think you can record it, per se, in the app. However, the in-app downloads are made available almost instantly after the show ends - when you download it, you can listen through the app without any data charges. Hope that helps answer your question.

bateman

Quote from: DontFearTheReaper on September 11, 2013, 03:52:26 PM
I don't think you can record it, per se, in the app. However, the in-app downloads are made available almost instantly after the show ends - when you download it, you can listen through the app without any data charges. Hope that helps answer your question.

ORLY? Can anyone confirm this? That would be the ideal solution.

Quote from: bateman on September 11, 2013, 04:00:15 PM
ORLY? Can anyone confirm this? That would be the ideal solution.
that's definitely how it works for a lot of the other xm talk shows that I listen to. Hopefully will be for art too.

bateman

Quote from: DontFearTheReaper on September 11, 2013, 06:21:07 PM
that's definitely how it works for a lot of the other xm talk shows that I listen to. Hopefully will be for art too.

That's awesome, thanks. Hopefully it's within just a few minutes.. I'll have to play with it.

jazmunda

Quote from: DontFearTheReaper on September 11, 2013, 03:52:26 PM

Are you sure that it physically downloads on your mobile device and isn't just streaming on demand?

Quote from: jazmunda on September 11, 2013, 06:48:29 PM
Are you sure that it physically downloads on your mobile device and isn't just streaming on demand?

Yes. I download Pete Dominick's show on my iPod touch and listen to it in my car, in which i have no wifi access.

They do, however, have on-demand access for most talk shows as a separate feature.

jazmunda

Quote from: DontFearTheReaper on September 11, 2013, 06:50:34 PM
Yes. I download Pete Dominick's show on my iPod touch and listen to it in my car, in which i have no wifi access.

They do, however, have on-demand access for most talk shows as a separate feature.

Are you downloading the show via the Sirius app?

Also are you listening to those downloaded shows through the Sirius app?

I thought you can't access the Sirius app with network connection as you need to log in.

Quote from: jazmunda on September 11, 2013, 07:39:29 PM
Are you downloading the show via the Sirius app?

Also are you listening to those downloaded shows through the Sirius app?

I thought you can't access the Sirius app with network connection as you need to log in.
I am downloading them at home via the app while I am connected to WiFi, and then listening to the downloaded shows on my iPod touch in the SiriusXM app while in my car or at work. When you open the app without a network connection, it allows you to listen to your downloaded programs.

jazmunda

Quote from: DontFearTheReaper on September 11, 2013, 08:41:57 PM
I am downloading them at home via the app while I am connected to WiFi, and then listening to the downloaded shows on my iPod touch in the SiriusXM app while in my car or at work. When you open the app without a network connection, it allows you to listen to your downloaded programs.

I never realized that you could download them I thought you could just listen to them via streaming on Demand.

Good to know. Thanks.

Quote from: jazmunda on September 11, 2013, 10:27:34 PM
I never realized that you could download them I thought you could just listen to them via streaming on Demand.

Good to know. Thanks.

No problem! And yeah, it is a really helpful feature. Hopefully they will have it for Art's show.

jazmunda

Quote from: DontFearTheReaper on September 11, 2013, 10:36:38 PM
No problem! And yeah, it is a really helpful feature. Hopefully they will have it for Art's show.

Thanks again. This will definitely save my on the fly mobile data consumption.

williedee

Quote from: jazmunda on September 11, 2013, 10:43:41 PM
Thanks again. This will definitely save my on the fly mobile data consumption.

i guess we know how we will be getting teh show files..  8)

Heather Wade

Quote from: lonevoice on September 11, 2013, 02:11:31 PM

It looks sweet and comes with a remote.  Fuckin A!