• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Will you ever understand the greatness of George Noory?

Started by ericdxx, October 15, 2012, 03:57:30 PM

Where IS your credibility?

in your sock drawer
0 (0%)
in your rape and tourture section of the basement
6 (18.2%)
out back with the bodies
11 (33.3%)
in a safe deposit box
7 (21.2%)
up my ass and to the left
9 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Morgus

Quote from: Doomed on October 22, 2012, 03:02:49 AM
Art Bell had cats. Anyone remember a bird named Tower?
yeah, but didn't Tower disappear at some point and Art suspected one of the cats got him?  8)

ericdxx

Ok I have to admit. Sometimes Noory is big retard on the air. Like when he claims that 25% of one third equals three out of ten....or when he cut of a guest to claim that Ford took bail-out money in 2009.

Other times he is right there. Doing the shows that Art Bell never did. Being the fabric of the night time America. Listening, feeling, being open to emotions.

This is not anti-Art Bell. It's just that Art Bell didn't do those kind of shows.

b_dubb

you need to use quotation marks around greatness when you mention noory

ItsOver

Quote from: ericdxx on October 22, 2012, 02:30:06 PM
....Doing the shows that Art Bell never did....

Such as making childish "sound effects" and pretending he can sing?

b_dubb

hate is too strong a word.  i no more hate noory than i would hate a well used diaper

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on October 22, 2012, 03:33:58 PM
hate is too strong a word.  i no more hate noory than i would hate a well used diaper

or the contents of that diaper.

ziznak

Yeah ericdxx you need to elaborate a little more on things or we're just going to misunderstand and keep hating... enlighten us please?

Sardondi

Okay, this truly is a straight thread, and not an elaborate parody of the silliness of a Nooron? I had been giving the parody theory the benefit of a doubt, especially since I got schooled by EgoFartSnooryBoy for stepping on his similarly-styled parody at "Notice of pending action" http://coastgab.com/index.php/topic,3533.msg83681.html#msg83681.

So I've been a little slow to actually bite. But apparently you're for real. And my question is....WHY?! Why come to the world's leading site for Noory "haters" (as you've so conveniently reminded us that Noory has labeled us), and try to proselytize on the churchhouse steps as it were? You're not disrespectful, you're not disruptive, and you have as much right as the next joe to express and opinion. I just don't see that it's a profitable expenditure of time and effort for you. Do you think you're really going to convert anyone? I don't see it.

Then there's the risk of it going the other way: your own faith might be shaken. Have you never been frustrated at George's total absence of improvement in any aspect of  the program or his performance over the last 10 years? Don't you get embarrassed at how often George asks a question which the guest answered just two minutes earlier, making it obvious George isn't paying attention? Isn't George's faux bonhomie irritating to you? His lack of preparation for his interviews? His embarrassing lack of so much basic knowledge of literature, history, science, politics and current events (other than the headlines of "People" and "Weekly World News")? His inability to listen to criticism or a counter-argument?

These things have to eat away at the mind of anyone with moderate intelligence and a modicum of intellectual curiosity. Such a person has to feel embarrassment for the show, to see it humbled so. And also to feel embarrassed for George, who is apparently too dense himself to gather that he should be personally embarrassed. 

So think on these things, ericdxx. Think on these things...and come with us.

ziznak

Quote from: Sardondi on October 22, 2012, 08:08:46 PM
Okay, this truly is a straight thread, and not an elaborate parody of the silliness of a Nooron? I had been giving the parody theory the benefit of a doubt, especially since I got schooled by EgoFartSnooryBoy for stepping on his similarly-styled parody at "Notice of pending action" http://coastgab.com/index.php/topic,3533.msg83681.html#msg83681.
That thread became hilarious when I realized that most of us didn't know it was a joke

as for ericdxx he's already showing cracks in the wall... he'll be hating in no time

Sardondi

Quote from: ziznak on October 23, 2012, 12:49:03 AM
That thread became hilarious when I realized that most of us didn't know it was a joke

as for ericdxx he's already showing cracks in the wall... he'll be hating in no time

You're right: it wasn't funny until it became clear people totally mistook it, because they just couldn't believe someone went to that effort to be, uh....unfunny. Heh.

Eddie Coyle

Devil's advocacy here. And I have no idea about the background of this purported Noory fan, but I must consider this: Say the kid is about 20 years old. And he started listen to C2C say, at 15, which would mean all he's ever known is Noory as primary host. Art was in a emeritus role before leaving, Ian has seen his role diminished(seemingly by choice) and Knapp is just a few times a month.

Now those of us who listened to Art in the good old days are all too aware of the steep decline, but these relative neonates have no such luck. And maybe it's me, but even the "Somewhere in Time" really don't capture the essence of classic C2C...I hate to be the old fogey who says "you had to be there"...but it kinda feels that way for me. Somebody who under 20 would have a tough time really appreciating the utter absurdity of Y2K madness, which began in earnest in roughly 1997.

And that concludes that monthly occurrence of my having an open mind and understanding. I had to get it out of my system, it's like phlegm.

ziznak

you did "have to be there" for the art stuff ed.  Think about it... The area 51 fly over show was on the AB stream last night and being somebody that wasn't there for it live I thought to myself "holy crap if i had heard this stoned off my ass back in the day" i would have gone nuts... listening now you can't really put yourself in that timeframe...  those old shows that we hear bring us back to when we were new to all the crazy c2c theory's and kookery... thing is... it's not new to us but to the younger listeners maybe hearing the poopsloosh of dames or hoaxy is a bit jarring?  just means it's up to us to edumacate the younguns on what's bs and whats not....

for you younguns...
planet X is here and the annunaki are coming back to kick EVERYBODY's ass!

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 23, 2012, 03:44:40 PM

Devil's advocacy here. And I have no idea about the background of this purported Noory fan, but I must consider this: Say the kid is about 20 years old. And he started listen to C2C say, at 15, which would mean all he's ever known is Noory as primary host...

It means....George is their Art.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on October 23, 2012, 11:20:00 PM
It means....George is their Art.
Leno is their Carson!  Hagar is their Roth! Michael Strahan is their Regis.

Devolution sucks.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 23, 2012, 11:56:06 PM
        Leno is their Carson!  Hagar is their Roth! Michael Strahan is their Regis.

Devolution sucks.

GAAAAAAAAAH! Stop it! Stop it, please!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on October 24, 2012, 12:15:24 AM
GAAAAAAAAAH! Stop it! Stop it, please!

I'm trying to think of an upgrade or sign of progress in our culture...

(22 minutes later) well, shit out of luck. Can't think of one.

BobGrau

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 24, 2012, 12:24:13 AM
       I'm trying to think of an upgrade or sign of progress in our culture...

(22 minutes later) well, shit out of luck. Can't think of one.

Breaking Bad. Whenever I despair over the state of popular culture, Breaking Bad gives me hope. Also The Thick Of It. ...and the books of Iain M. Banks.

God, noory sucks though.

Sardondi

Quote from: BobGrau on October 24, 2012, 03:29:58 AM
Breaking Bad. Whenever I despair over the state of popular culture, Breaking Bad gives me hope....

WARNING: Sardondi Wall O' Textâ,,¢
Summary for WO'T-averse: BB writers improperly make it too easy for Walt to justify becoming an international drug distributor and mass murderer.

I'm pretty much the opposite: as much as I have enjoyed BB, it depresses the hell out of me, as I think what many folks call the moral complexity and realism it's just one more sign of a decadent culture in decline. In one sense I'm glad the writers are having Walt spiral down into a brutal, greedy murdering bastard, just like any other big doper. But a lot of the attraction of BB, whether admitted or not, is wanting to see Walt beat the "bad guys" who include law enforcement. We're seeing now that he's gone to far. There's no turning back, it's too late for him to change, and he's destroyed ever single decent thing and relationship in his life.

Unfortunately there are masses of adolescent viewers or assorted ages who completely miss the point, and cheer each of Walt's cold blooded murders and big scores. But the writers must be blamed for creating the initial moral chaos, and for excusing Walt's lawbreaking by stacking the deck so high against him(at least in our eyes) that we abandon our principles about right and wrong because of his difficult circumstances.

It's an old writer's ploy. They stack the deck with "unfairness" against Walt: his terminal-stage cancer; his having been cheated out of a fortune by his business partners as a young chemist; the fact of Walt Jr.'s CP; Skyler's bitchiness/lack of understanding/ultimate infidelity. So the writers paint him as a noble character who "rises above principle" to achieve what they would have us agree is the morally preferable goal of ensuring his family has a financially comfortable life after Walt is gone. Think about that for awhile: that what the writers ultimately set up is the equation that Walt's murders, greed and cruelty is essentially permitted because it's just so hard not having enough money to avoid all those negative changes, such as being forced to move from your suburban house to a leased three-bedroom apartment.

But there are thousands of American families who wish they had the problems that Walt White and his family had, and they don't feel they have to start cooking the purest meth known in America. They lose the father or mother or child or children to cancer; they lose the family home and move into an apartment; it's tough on the kid or kids with CP or MD or MS but they suck it up and go. The wife goes to work. It's hard. If they're fortunate they have other family or very good friends to lean on, but a lot of folks don't, and they still don't feel like they're excused the normal social and legal rules everyone else faces.

But it's morally permissible for Walt to do it because of the unspoken but implicit idea in BB that because one's circle of friends has a certain standard of living, and because you may have once enjoyed that certain standard of living, and if you didn't do anything yourself to bring on the negative changes, then you shouldn't have to suffer a change yourself. That's "fair".

I'm just uncomfortable with that kind of moral calculus.

BobGrau

I'm going to chew over this wall of text while I get my hair cut. For now I just want to point out that I meant breaking bad in terms of quality writing and production values, and the fact that for once it appears to have been made by people who actually watch television.

Oh, and I forgot to mention South Park. South Park gives me hope.

Quote from: ziznak on October 23, 2012, 04:54:33 PM

for you younguns...
planet X is here and the annunaki are coming back to kick EVERYBODY's ass!

OMG!!!! Where's the safe place?!  What's the name of that dried-up food place?! How much rice can I shove under my bed?!

Oh, wait......... I'm not a "youngun".  Whew.  Nevermind.    :P

BobGrau

Quote from: Sardondi on October 24, 2012, 08:49:41 AM
WARNING: Sardondi Wall O' Textâ,,¢
Summary for WO'T-averse: BB writers improperly make it too easy for Walt to justify becoming an international drug distributor and mass murderer.

I don't think Walt is 'justified'. Everyone I've spoken to about this has had a moment where they've realised "wait a minute... Walt's an asshole". (For me this happened around season 3 - I liked Gus, dammit!) I think this story is more about Hank.
Hank started the series as a cocky piece of shit, the kind of blinkered, loudmouthed 'cop' character we all love to hate when set against a 'nice guy' like walt or a 'loveable rogue' like jesse. But Hank is the only character that hasn't 'broken bad' and has evolved morally over the series in a positive direction.

In short, I agree with you that Walter White is a poor role model, but I'd like to think that the show is a little less one-dimensional than you're making out.

Pragmier

I don't watch the show but agree with Wall O' Textâ,,¢. The part about justifying bad behavior.

stevesh

Sardondi gives great wall, but it may be that Walt is just a hero for our times, rather than a leading indicator.

With respect, law enforcement officers are all too often the 'bad guys', it seems. One doesn't have to subscribe to Alex Jones' nitwittery to be horrified by the almost weekly reports of cops shooting (often with dozens of rounds) unarmed (or barely armed) street people and college students, or killing law-abiding homeowners who commited the crime of living next door to a suspected criminal while the cops SWATed the wrong house. Dozens of Feds dressed in black, with armor and automatic weapons, to serve a warrant on an Amish raw milk operation ? Please.

We live in a time of increasing militarization of police agencies (the fucking University of Georgia campus police have a SWAT team), and there's only one way that can end - when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Don't get me started on the TSA.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: stevesh on October 24, 2012, 11:12:14 AM

It seems that cops have come to divide the population into three groups: cops, cops' families and friends, and criminal scum (that would be the rest of us). Don't get me started on the TSA.
On a wall, just out of the public's view, at a State Police barracks in South Boston,Ma, I got to see a credo of the troopers emblazoned on a pennant.

There are bad assholes
           There are good assholes
           And there are Troopers.

BobGrau

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 24, 2012, 11:37:28 AM

There are bad assholes
           There are good assholes
           And there are Troopers Haters.

New forum header?

ChewMouse

Still part of hijacking the thread, I want this from Coaster for the next header:

Tinnitus is basically carpal tunnel of the ear. Or not.

It shows our willingness to make stuff up, our lack of obsession with "facts" and the way we aren't afraid to admit we could be wrong.

It's just so CoastGab.

kf5iwe

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 24, 2012, 11:37:28 AM
       On a wall, just out of the public's view, at a State Police barracks in South Boston,Ma, I got to see a credo of the troopers emblazoned on a pennant.

There are bad assholes
           There are good assholes
           And there are Troopers.

Speaking as a Deputy Sheriff, I only divide people into 2 groups, Cops and criminal scum. Booked too many of my family members. SWAT ON!!!