• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Lilith

Quote from: nooryisawesome on May 16, 2018, 07:28:40 AM
RCH kept the other side of midnight

I think that's because its Hoagies show, Carried by Keith on his network, whereas MITD is Keiths Flagship show, hosted by whoever he makes arrangements with.  I could be wrong.

Bart Ell

Quote from: Tootsie Wootsy on May 16, 2018, 08:33:41 AM
why doesn't Keith Rowland hire a lawyer instead of asking questions on twitter?  I THOUGHT he had more on the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can pay a lawyer to find an address or you can crowd source the address for free. Why does everyone become John D. Rockefeller when it comes to filing a C&D?

Bart Ell

Quote from: Jackstar on May 16, 2018, 08:27:14 AM
That's not going to work--she only loves cigarettes.

I disagree, that just means it will work even morer!

Pizzapunch

Quote from: brig on May 16, 2018, 08:47:04 AM
I think that's because its Hoagies show, Carried by Keith on his network, whereas MITD is Keiths Flagship show, hosted by whoever he makes arrangements with.  I could be wrong.
Furthermore if you go look at Arts posts around the time of the formation of the show, it's apparent Keith was there every step of the way. He put everything together. My guess would be he owns the largest stake in the show.

QuoteI want to know if the BartEllLegacy.com store sells delay dumps.

Taking a Dump is the Legacy...

Sean92008

Heather claims to be friends with the owner of KCAA out of Loma Linda... So, somehow, she needs a dump button for that station and that station alone. This is, of course the day after a horrible debut in which she didn't have a dump button then.

For the sake of her "friend," I hope she doesn't pull a Joe Meth. 

I am curious though, how did she become friends with this person? I mean, is it a friendship based off of a personal relationship or is it a friendship based on a co-dependent need for her show to be aired on some sort of terrestrial radio station and she gives him telephone BJ's?

Asking for a "friend."

Sean92008

Quote from: Bart Ell on May 16, 2018, 08:50:56 AM
I disagree, that just means it will work even morer most greaterly!
FIFY

GravitySucks

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 16, 2018, 08:58:44 AM
Heather claims to be friends with the owner of KCAA out of Loma Linda... So, somehow, she needs a dump button for that station and that station alone. This is, of course the day after a horrible debut in which she didn't have a dump button then.

For the sake of her "friend," I hope she doesn't pull a Joe Meth. 

I am curious though, how did she become friends with this person? I mean, is it a friendship based off of a personal relationship or is it a friendship based on a co-dependent need for her show to be aired on some sort of terrestrial radio station and she gives him telephone BJ's?

Asking for a "friend."

That station used to carry both MITD and OSOM. When RCH pulled OSOM from DMDN, MITD expanded to 5 hours. KCAA only carried the first 3 hours of MITD. Then they carried OSOM as a stand-alone show. For a few months anyway before he and Hoagland got sideways over something. Probably money.  That’s why he left DMDN.

I don’t know why she calls him a friend. I think she calls anyone she speaks to more than once a friend, but only when it is convenient.

p.s. I have a feeling the only reason he is carrying her show is because he doesn’t like having to deal with Keith. 

Juan

Isn’t this the day Joe tells all? I’ve already lost the link.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Juan on May 16, 2018, 09:09:17 AM

You're forgiven. This HW train wreck saga is enough to lose the will to live.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Juan on May 16, 2018, 09:09:17 AM
Good ole' double stream Joe! Wonder if he pee'd his Belgian sheep dog too! ;)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 16, 2018, 09:03:48 AM

That station used to carry both MITD and OSOM. When RCH pulled OSOM from DMDN, MITD expanded to 5 hours. KCAA only carried the first 3 hours of MITD. Then they carried OSOM as a stand-alone show. For a few months anyway before he and Hoagland got sideways over something. Probably money.  That’s why he left DMDN.

I don’t know why she calls him a friend. I think she calls anyone she speaks to more than once a friend, but only when it is convenient.

p.s. I have a feeling the only reason he is carrying her show is because he doesn’t like having to deal with Keith.

If one of her 'generous' old male sycophants calls her more than once ($5.99 per minute) presumably they'll be the best she's ever had?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Pizzapunch on May 16, 2018, 08:51:47 AM
Furthermore if you go look at Arts posts around the time of the formation of the show, it's apparent Keith was there every step of the way. He put everything together. My guess would be he owns the largest stake in the show.

Dr J had his own show on DMDN. Then Keith hired him as Art’s producer. Anyone that worked on MITD had a contract with Keith, not with Art.

Cowkiller

Quote from: El Chorro on May 16, 2018, 12:33:32 AM
That's a good point about how Art played along with guests, but just as we're different listeners today, I wonder if some of the genre guests just aren't as good at stringing along the yarns. Have the guests that made Art's technique possible no longer around, or their aging presentations too dated, and the newer personalities not as good at the game?

Just catchin up you know, had fo sleep a bit.   

Maybe its like that belgabber said, Art had callers from his ham buddy world, calling in.  Theres alot to that cause radio guys are often characters and could develop interesting stuff over time.  Remember when CB was happening?
It is a different age even tho its only 25 years.  I still think the powers that be didn't like what was happening and put a lid on Arts show because it was too popular and affecting popular culture too much.  Remember x-files,. Men in black, y2k,  all that shit was influenced by arts show.  As Noory took over, the fun stopped and the night became safe again.

Metron2267

Quote from: Cowkiller on May 16, 2018, 09:15:24 AM
Just catchin up you know, had fo sleep a bit.   

Maybe its like that belgabber said, Art had callers from his ham buddy world, calling in.  Theres alot to that cause radio guys are often characters and could develop interesting stuff over time.  Remember when CB was happening?
It is a different age even tho its only 25 years.  I still think the powers that be didn't like what was happening and put a lid on Arts show because it was too popular and affecting popular culture too much.  Remember x-files,. Men in black, y2k,  all that shit was influenced by arts show.  As Noory took over, the fun stopped and the night became safe again.

I strongly suspect the same thing, the paranormal cat got out of the bag (so to speak) and then it had a litter and then another and at some point animal control was sent out to handle things.

Noory does "safe" radio which mostly equates to snoory radio.

Now all the pets are chipped and accounted for.

DaveSchrader

So the question is, for a fringe style show, would you rather the host challenge the guests with respect or just allow the story, inaccuracies and contradiction just slide?

Should the show be total escapism or entertainment with a foot still grounded in skepticism?

Just asking for a friend. ;)

DS

ponyboysunset

entertainment with a foot still grounded in skepticism.
Just my two cents.
Tide Pods DS!

Bart Ell

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 16, 2018, 09:36:58 AM
So the question is, for a fringe style show, would you rather the host challenge the guests with respect or just allow the story, inaccuracies and contradiction just slide?

Should the show be total escapism or entertainment with a foot still grounded in skepticism?

DS

Tell your friend I think he has the right balance and to keep doing what he is doing but he should find a better word than fringe.

Jackstar

Hang a spinner on the wall, with attitudes ranging from "hostile skepticism" to "eating it up with a spoon." Spin the wheel every 45 minutes, and immediately adopt whatever comes up.

You know in your heart that you yearn to do this. Make it happen.

Pizzapunch

DS
Dave in my opinion if it's entertaining and going somewhere it can lead to great radio to let them speak (Mel's hole for example). However, if it's David Adair droning on about some Generals 3rd cousin to set up his story for an hour by all means dump! You seem to have good instinct in making that judgement.

chefist

DS

Challenge, please. Your guests need to come prepared for both their own stories, and responses to challenging questions.

Last night was the perfect example. Dunnett mentions electronic devices that fail during encounters with UFO's, then has almost no comment or analysis of the best evidence of UAP in the Nimitz recordings. The excuse of "device failure" cannot be used as a crutch in the Nimitz incident.

He should know the Nimitz data inside and out, if he supposedly and expert on "USOs"...have his interpretations and questions regarding every facet of the event...he had next to nothing.

They need to come better prepared...and if you speak with them before booking, and they know you have a reputation for tough but fair questions, you will get the most out of them and your discussion.

That being said, I enjoyed the show last night...keep up the good work!

Thanks, Dave

Quote from: El Chorro on May 16, 2018, 12:33:32 AM
That's a good point about how Art played along with guests, but just as we're different listeners today, I wonder if some of the genre guests just aren't as good at stringing along the yarns. Have the guests that made Art's technique possible no longer around, or their aging presentations too dated, and the newer personalities not as good at the game?

Art was a smarter man and a better host, it's just as simple as that.  He knew how to keep the conversation fresh and free flowing unlike anyone else in talk radio.  Look at HW's style where she just asks her list of pre-planned questions and inserts as much fluffy bullshit as she can between them as needed to fill time.  She simply relies too much upon the guest to make the show interesting. 

In contrast the interview style that Art Bell had with a guest was kinda like thoroughly reading a book, he would listen very attentively to what the guest was saying and then peel open each "chapter" of the guest's stories as they hit on interesting details.  He had a real talent for finding the most interesting tidbits and exploring them, a "free flowing" style, it wasn't just running down a list of boilerplate questions like other hosts do.

The biggest problem with HW and many other hosts is that they are simply not as genuinely passionate as Art was about the guest's material.  Art himself used to say that show prep was a very tedious process for him, probably because he took the time to actually learn the material and understand the topic before the interview.  He didn't just ask a list of pre planned questions that relied on the guest to make the show interesting, he had a very "dynamic" interview style that made his show very interesting no matter who the guest was. 

You cannot fake passion or intelligence on a topic. It's a talent that cannot be taught, and HW is living proof.

TigerLily

Quote from: HumanBeing on May 16, 2018, 04:07:03 AM
Lasha really wants to moderate the info Heather and her facebook followers get to read.
It is looking more like a cult every day. Either you think and behave like they do or they'll put you on a list  ;D
What a fucking controlling bitch she is  :D

As usual Bellgab is way ahead of the curve. It already keeps a list of trolls. Praise mv

http://bellgab.com/index.php?action=mlist

ponyboysunset

Quote from: TigerLily on May 16, 2018, 09:43:32 AM
As usual Bellgab is way ahead of the curve. It already keeps a list of trolls. Praise mv

Shhh..you're killing the resistance when you leak this information to the otherside.  ;) Just kidding. Good Morning Tiger!

HumanBeing

Quote from: TigerLily on May 16, 2018, 09:43:32 AM

bellNwhistle

DS

As long as you’re not being a total dick about it, I don’t see why you can’t challenge them a bit. ;)

Lord Grantham

"What was going on in your life, what caused these near-death experiences?"

"I was raped Dave."

Metron2267

DS

I think with a guest like P.M.H. Atwater you have to fight to get any handle on guiding the interview as she simply riffs on like a paranormal Jack Kerouac!

Interesting lady regardless.

Vote for "challenge".

GravitySucks

DS

I am glad you asked because I was trying to figure out how to start a discussion on this very topic.

In the early 90’s people could spin a yarn and noone could google the actual facts behind a tale or a theory. Today it is much easier to be a debunker than it is to be a believer. So many of these paranormal topics offer no proof. It is funny to me that people that will shun religion because they refuse to believe in an “invisible sky god” will sit around and debate whether ETs are biological entities or androids and whether they travel faster than the speed of light or are hiding on the dark side of the moon.

Sometimes I just want to be entertained. Guests with personal narratives can be entertaining. Guests like Preston Dennett who are just spouting “facts” that some people “slipped him” and maybe it was 5 or 10 people that told him about the 4 people that were there (sic) is just beyond my ability to suspend belief.

If you are going to call yourself a researcher then present facts. If you are going to call yourself an experiencer then tell a good story but know where to draw the line on speculation.

Maybe we need different types of segments and different types of guest introductions. “Tonight we are going to suspend all disbelief and enjoy a take about this person’s experience”, and “Tonight we are going to analyze this guest’s research and claims that 8 foot tall reptoids shape shift into the members of the CFR and decide who will attend Bildeberg to select the next US President “.

We aren’t getting new UFO evidence and all the UFO guests are either dying off or like in the acse of Rendelsham Forest, starting to stretch the story to make it more interesting.

Same can be said for almost every paranormal topic. 

Anyways I don’t have a perfect answer. If you become the hardnosed skeptic you will not he able to book a guest.

Personally I would like to see guests selected more often from topics that are given as TED talks. Current research and cutting edge ideas. I had sent suggestion after suggestion to Heather when she was a producer and then again when Art quit and not a single one of them were booked. It is difficult for me to believe that out of all the TED talk presenters, that noone fit the format of the show.  It was like it was safer to have guests that had been interviewed on c2c than it was to take a chance on a new one.

Those are my initial thoughts. I’ll email you with any additional ones and any specific guest suggestions I might come across. 

Thanks for asking us.