• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Nice Little Facts

Started by MV/Liberace!, June 20, 2014, 04:56:20 PM

George Drooly

Quote from: jazmunda on August 28, 2014, 07:49:51 PM
All the planets in the solar system would fit between Earth and the moon.

How many can fit between Richard Hoagland's ears?

jazmunda

Istanbul, Turkey is the only city in the world located on two continents - Europe and Asia.

Tarbaby

Quote from: Treading Water on August 27, 2014, 02:56:10 PM
Yep, I think most of them end up in spider webs in my back yard.     :o
except for fireflies, they can burn their way through spiderwebs. I think. I'm pretty sure. But I have heard that butterflies elude spiderwebs because they are too slippery.
(MV: okay, I'll stop. I'll stop.)

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 30, 2014, 02:23:17 PM
except for fireflies, they can burn their way through spiderwebs.

The light emitted by fireflies contains no UV or IR wavelengths, so it isn't going to "burn" (i.e. heat up) anything.

It seems like common sense that if heat from the light, or the body of the firefly could start a forest fire, it would burn up the firefly first when it is applied.

Tarbaby

Okay, fine, it would also make commonsense any person of ordinary intelligence would know I've been kidding about fireflies. But, what about the butterflies? Have you a scientific theory for them?

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 30, 2014, 02:45:17 PM
Okay, fine, it would also make commonsense any person of ordinary intelligence would know I've been kidding about fireflies. But, what about the butterflies? Have you a scientific theory for them?

A butterfly flapping its wings in China will cause the Great Red Spot on Jupiter.

Tarbaby

Yes, that's why people who are wielding flamethrowers always die in a horrible fire. Wait… They don't.

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 30, 2014, 02:50:53 PM
Yes, that's why people who are wielding flamethrowers always die in a horrible fire. Wait… They don't.

It always seems to aggravate you intensely whenever I reply to one of your posts.  In the interests of forum harmony, I won't critique your analogy, but will just say that if you think about it, and maybe study the process of how and where a firefly produces light, you'll understand why this analogy is unconvincing.  You can PM me for details if you want.

All of this presumes that you weren't kidding with this post, too.  If you were, then you got me again, you rascal.

onan

Thug fireflies place lit cigarettes in a book of matches, then close the book. It happens all the time...

jazmunda

Quote from: onan on August 30, 2014, 03:26:54 PM
Thug fireflies place lit cigarettes in a book of matches, then close the book. It happens all the time...

Would that make them "firebugs"?

jazmunda

In 1996, a Swedish couple tried to name their son “Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116.” They would have pronounced it “Albin.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_law_in_Sweden

Tarbaby

When I was a kid we used to go out in the woods after dark and catch fireflies. We put them in a jar and played with them. So I knew from experience that fireflies contained no heat element. And are harmless. But I guess not everyone knows that. Like kids from the city.

I wish we had fireflies.  They always sounded so cool.. or hot.. or something.

zeebo

The word "facetiously" has all the vowels in the right order.  I think there may be a couple others but I'm not really motivated to find them.

Quote from: MV on August 28, 2014, 04:36:30 PM
According to the American Journal of Sports Medicine, pole vaulting is the sport with the highest death rate per participant.
i would consider each one an unrecorded record.  8)

jazmunda

Quote from: zeebo on August 30, 2014, 09:45:23 PM
The word "facetiously" has all the vowels in the right order.  I think there may be a couple others but I'm not really motivated to find them.

absteinous
abstemious
abstemiously
abstenious
abstentious
accession country
adecticous
adventitious
adventitiously
aerious
anemious
annelidous
arenicolous
arsenious
avenious
battle it out
caesious
cavernicolous
facetious
facetiously
fracedinous
hareiously

http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category_talk:English_words_that_use_all_vowels_in_alphabetical_order

jazmunda

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 31, 2014, 12:11:15 AM
This one is the best on so many levels

I don't know why they snuck that "one word" in there.

Quote from: jazmunda on August 31, 2014, 12:13:14 AM
I don't know why they snuck that "one word" in there.

Being as you are an expert in having things "snuck" into unexpected places, I yield to you sir

zeebo

Quote from: jazmunda on August 31, 2014, 12:01:33 AM
arenicolous
cavernicolous
hareiously

Damn I should have known - I use these ones multiple times a day!

jazmunda

Quote from: zeebo on August 31, 2014, 01:47:29 AM
Damn I should have known - I use these ones multiple times a day!

I would love it if George even attempted to pronounce one of these successfully.

Yorkshire pud

Hear about the bloke frozen to absolute zero? He's OK now.

jazmunda

Laughing when tickled is actually your body emitting a panic response.

George Drooly

So is punching the tickler

zeebo

Dune, the world's best-selling sci-fi novel of all-time, was submitted to and rejected by twenty different publishers.  It was finally published by Chilton Books, which is better known for publishing auto repair manuals.

Quote from: zeebo on September 01, 2014, 12:17:25 AM
Dune, the world's best-selling sci-fi novel of all-time, was submitted to and rejected by twenty different publishers.  It was finally published by Chilton Books, which is better known for publishing auto repair manuals.
cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilton_Company#Fiction_publishing jump to fiction published.

pate

Sometimes people mistake the beer Old Milwaukee for the (alleged) beer Milwaukee's Best (or is it Beast?)

zeebo

James Joyce's entire novel Ulysses takes place over the course of a single day:  June 16, 1904.  But why did he pick that day?  It was the day of his first date with his future wife, Nora.