• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 13, 2015, 04:44:08 PM
I think I might cry if Art quits MITD.  I haven't had a good cry in a long time. :'(

I just hopes he understands he has options if the current timeslot isn't working.  There are many, many ways to make MITD work whether it be pre-recorded shows or new timeslot or whatever.  I hope he considers those options before making a brash decision.

Even a pre-recorded 2 hour show works for me. I don't need to listen to obnoxious callers ask the guest stupid questions.

CornyCrow

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 13, 2015, 07:29:07 AM
I've soured on Hoagland recently.  I want him to stay in full crazy mode and not the Hollywood/science fiction shows.  It's also ridiculous when he starts talking politics.  I don't care or want to hear Hoagie's opinion on anything political.  It makes me kill the stream immediately.

Space woo is great.  HP Lovecraft?  Eh, no thanks, Richard.
You see, my tastes in Hoagie seem to run in the direct opposite direction of yours.  Shows need a variety in order to attract and keep an audience.   

BellBoy

Quote from: morgana213 on September 13, 2015, 04:47:53 PM
y'all

y'all would connotate "you all"... I was rednecktifying "your, you're & yours"  ;)

(hence yor'n)

Art Bell

Jeez, relax I did not say I was leaving I was just pointing out to those of you who wrote that you thought I might leave because of a few critics. I have never cared what people say about what I do or experiment with. I was trying to point out what is important to me and what is not.

Art

Zenman

Quote from: Art Bell on September 13, 2015, 03:32:16 PM
Well here is the deal, even a younger person must adjust your day to do a show that is 9PM-12AM, meaning you can not make it the end of your day but more like the middle of your day. Plus I drink Coffee to be as alert as I must be. I am not complaining but just explaining.

The show is fun but the price is pretty high at the personal level. If it ever comes to it I might just turn it over to the right person or just keep doing it.

At any rate feel free to always say anything you feel about any show you have strong feelings about, does not bother me a bit.

Art

Hey Art, maybe record your show while the daughter's at school, then release it at night (like the late night TV shows do--it still seems quite live). Nothing changes for us, you get your family time back and Dave still gets his ass kicked.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on September 13, 2015, 08:17:51 AM
That's part of the problem with human thinking. We can only think and perceive from our perspective. Imagine an ant trying to grasp the concept of relativity. It could not and therefore would dismiss it as something that is not part of their experience. God is something that we could never hope to understand with our limited human minds and experiences.

Didn't one of these luminaries recant on his deathbed?
That is kind of my point.  When you reduce god to being not understandable, you put it on the same plane as the scientific unanswerables.  You peruse with your imagination.  That kind of god is not the thing that is spoken of in the Old Testament - the god who wipes out races and is jealous and insecure enough to have to test people. 

To say you believe in god is the same as a scientist mentioning that science has many new frontiers in which to search.  At that level, saying you believe or do not seems to have little real meaning.

BellBoy

Quote from: Art Bell on September 13, 2015, 04:56:29 PM
Jeez, relax I did not say I was leaving I was just pointing out to those of you who wrote that you thought I might leave because of a few critics. I have never cared what people say about what I do or experiment with. I was trying to point out what is important to me and what is not.

Art

Once again, the tail wags the dog...

aka: The Butterfly Effect

AppealPlay

Art

Oh, thank god.  Art, you scared us! ;D

We all love you, man. :D

morgana213

Quote from: BellBoy on September 13, 2015, 04:54:17 PM
y'all would connotate "you all"... I was rednecktifying "your, yours & you're"  ;)

(hence yor'n)
They say all of those here in N. Florida/S. Georgia...redneck land. Up north (midwest) we said "you guys."  We shouldn't forget you'ins either. :)

wr250

Art
this is bellgab. speculation is rampant and everything overblown. thats what makes us vaguely loveable.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: CornyCrow on September 13, 2015, 04:49:45 PM
You see, my tastes in Hoagie seem to run in the direct opposite direction of yours.  Shows need a variety in order to attract and keep an audience.

Mine too, I can handle the pareidolia Mars stuff every few weeks, but if it were night after night, it would get crushingly boring and repetitive very quickly. I really appreciate that show's variety and Richard's apparent ability to have a knowledgeable, comfortable conversation on just about any topic. Plus, Richard still turns into the werehoagland and tosses in Mars comments during most shows, usually towards the end.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 13, 2015, 04:56:09 PM
Me too!  Very interesting, thank you.
Heck the way the country is going I wish there was a village like that to live "back when" for even the non-dementia people. Haha. But seriously it is an interesting thing because often, especially in earlier stages, the "old memories" and "older ways" are still "working" and the general idea also (I think) of anyone (even just an older person or out of work young person) just sitting in front of a tv or thinking they need "others" for support etc is not beneficial to them. So even if you are "tricking," or making them do even a "nominal" work and self-care will help them. TV, to me, is the worst though an almost totally passive thing. Older people who have hobbies, garden, play bridge, travel, do crosswords, etc are far more happier and live longer (personal anecdotal admittedly but the ones who go to a nursing home and set in front of a tv...not so much good happens.)

Dateline

My opinion is that I like the fact that at Art's age and experience level he is willing to try new ways and approaches.  That keeps the show dynamic. 

Here is a tip.  I logged onto Bellgab and all of the posts were on the Art Bell thread, I just knew that there was an alarm.  The King of Late Night Talk can bring the gabbers to their knees. 

Quote from: BellBoy on September 13, 2015, 04:41:27 PM
...it is sounding rather ominous. SixWeekTenure(tm), what say you? (Time to slightly modify the trademark?)

That's the danger of the new show being independently run because it will only last as long as Art is willing to put in the time. I completely understand where he's coming from when talking about family and missing moments with Asia, so I'm content just riding this wave as long as it goes. Suggestions about drastically changing the time the show airs or shifting into a pre-recorded, interview driven podcast isn't what Art wants to do and, if that were the case, he would have to make sacrifices on the bumper music again, which was a major sticking point while getting Midnight in the Desert off the ground. I don't see anything changing except for possibly dropping Fridays to help him rebound for the weekend.

BellBoy

Quote from: morgana213 on September 13, 2015, 05:00:39 PM
They say all of those here in N. Florida/S. Georgia...redneck land. Up north (midwest) we said "you guys."  We shouldn't forget you'ins either. :)

...and in New Jersey that would be "you'z guy'z  ;)

Shout Out to Herbn-Legend!

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: PaulAtreides on September 13, 2015, 05:16:59 PM
So you were skullfucked?

All I remember is that it involved mayonnaise.

Jahshines

Art, you are on about the same schedule as I am in regards to quality time with my three daughters. I'm a bear in the a.m./get ready for school time, then I see them afternoons /bedtimes then we have all weekend together. So, it's not just you buddy. I bet you are a great dad, being a little older gives one a different view on parenting. Better view in my opinion. Keep rocking it Art. The show is great, your hitting your stride, and we love you man. Would love a show on white-light experiences/near death, and near-term death experiences. I'll call in! I saw the white-light of God/source. I no longer fear death and it was no trick.

Quote from: CornyCrow on September 13, 2015, 04:58:57 PM
  That kind of god is not the thing that is spoken of in the Old Testament - the god who wipes out races and is jealous and insecure enough to have to test people. 
Oh, that wasn't the real God, that was a race of space aliens pretending to be God. The real God is something unfathomable for the most part.

Hey Corny Crow, we're both going to get our asses spanked if we keep derailing Art's thread.

Mild Bill

Art

As long as you're having fun, balancing your air time with your family life...it's all good!

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on September 13, 2015, 05:19:06 PM
Oh, that wasn't the real God, that was a race of space aliens pretending to be God. The real God is something unfathomable for the most part.

Hey Corny Crow, we're both going to get our asses spanked if we keep derailing Art's thread.

True, but at least it was both learned and beautifully expressed. Thank you for your delightful contribution.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on September 13, 2015, 09:16:14 AM
I agree. We are all on a different path. I don't have an issue with Atheists unless they are beating others over the brow with their version of truth. They are not that different from Evangelicals or others who Bible thump. I don't know who is more obnoxious-Jehovah's witnesses or Atheists. At least Jehovah's Witnesses are nice about it.
The only problem that I have with some atheists is that they seem to suppose that we now know all there is to know. 

Religionists are a different story.  I was placed in a Christian fundie church.  Brainwashing young children with myth only for the sake of teaching them morality is a horrible thing to do to them.  It turned me bitter and hating religion for a long, long, time.  Catholics who leave the church are often like that, and so are people who were once Orthodox Jews. 

Lying to young impressionable minds is just inexcusable. 

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 13, 2015, 05:24:55 PM
Thank you for your delightful contribution.

Is that what the tart said to the Vicar, or is that the other way round?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on September 13, 2015, 05:29:52 PM
Is that what the tart said to the Vicar, or is that the other way round?

I have never had the privilege of meeting your charming relations so am unable to tell you. However that last sentence of yours was truly a feast for the heart and the intellect, and I thank you so very deeply for bestowing it upon us.

MR. Spock

Art, why dont you hire Falkie to be your weekend host/guest host when you need a break? He really needs to get off of welfare. The Tax payers are tired of paying his bills. ;)

Quote from: MR. Spock on September 13, 2015, 05:36:22 PM
Art, why dont you hire Falkie to be your weekend host/guest host when you need a break? He really needs to get off of welfare. The Tax payers are tired of paying his bills. ;)

Falkie is a disabled senior citizen. That's his story and he's sticking to it. A job would mean loss of benefits. Besides, Noory is giving him his own show.

b_dubb

Quote from: MR. Spock on September 13, 2015, 05:36:22 PM
This isn't a good idea and it definitely isn't funny. Boo.