• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

Quote from: ChewMouse on April 04, 2013, 09:45:46 PM
My God. Who are you to judge the quality of life for someone else? Ebert in fact addressed this and said he could do without speech and eating, but treasured still his family and his life. He made significant contributions post-surgery.

Yours was such a thoughtless and unkind comment.

Well said, CM.  I cannot but imagine the quality of Ebert's life was somewhat diminished after his ordeal, and maybe that was the point McPhallus was trying (inartfully) to make, but how can we not admire Ebert's will to live, the love for life shown in that very articulate man?

McPhallus

It was diminished in ways the rest of us can't even imagine. He said in an interview that the last surgery was the final one he would have, not matter what course his health took.  Most of us would likely have given up long before then.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on April 05, 2013, 02:00:35 PM
Well said, CM.  I cannot but imagine the quality of Ebert's life was somewhat diminished after his ordeal, and maybe that was the point McPhallus was trying (inartfully) to make, but how can we not admire Ebert's will to live, the love for life shown in that very articulate man?

Quote from: McPhallus on April 05, 2013, 03:38:35 PM
It was diminished in ways the rest of us can't even imagine. He said in an interview that the last surgery was the final one he would have, not matter what course his health took.  Most of us would likely have given up long before then.

Yeah, I can't imagine what it must have been like the day he was told they'd be taking his entire lower jaw, but that it would keep him alive.  I can't imagine the physical and emotional pain of looking in the mirror and seeing what had become of the face he (and so many others) knew so well.  You're a better man than I, Gunga Din, to have been able to do that and then return to public life.... 

He must have had such a strong will to live and remain with those he loved.  He is to be much admired.  It was just two days ago that the announcement was made that he was stepping away from his job; 24 hours later he was gone.

McPhallus

Margaret Thatcher will not be down for tea this morning.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: McPhallus on April 08, 2013, 06:50:17 AM
Margaret Thatcher will not be down for tea this morning.

Oh happy day!  :) 

stevesh

Annette Funicello, first love (maybe lust) of a generation (mine) of American boys dead at 70 of complications from MS.

I wish Sardondi were back - I suspect his eulogy for Annette would be another CG classic.

Juan

Annette bothers me a great deal.  She remained friends with Shelly Fabres, and Shelly talked occasionally about what bad shape Annette was in.  He MS was first diagnosed just as she and Frankie Avalon hooked up again and put together a road show.  I'm sorry she's gone, but glad she's not suffering anymore.

Morgus

A tribute to Annette Funicello, singing and dancing "The Monkey's Uncle" with the Beach Boys:
The Beach Boys: The Monkey's Uncle

I'm a touch too young to remember Annette's early days.  I knew the name in a pop-culture historical way, but it wasn't until I saw Back to the Beach in 1987 that I saw her beauty and charisma for myself.  RIP.

Milo O'Shea also passed away today -- some of you may remember him as Friar Laurence in the 1967 film Romeo and Juliet

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 08, 2013, 10:07:07 AM

I just played Richard Thompson's "tribute" to her, Mother Knows Best from 1991. Her ascendancy resulted in a significant NORAID boost in my neighborhood.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 08, 2013, 02:08:13 PM
           I just played Richard Thompson's "tribute" to her, Mother Knows Best from 1991. Her ascendancy resulted in a significant NORAID boost in my neighborhood.

And resulted in significant unemployment, manufacturing destruction, community destruction and ongoing poverty in certain areas in mine.  >:(

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 08, 2013, 02:45:54 PM

And resulted in significant unemployment, manufacturing destruction, community destruction and ongoing poverty in certain areas in mine.  >:(
I could say the same about her American counterpart in that era as well.

McPhallus

I just thought of the perfect name for Noory's incredibly noble effort to help the least fortunate of his victims fans: Nooraid.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 08, 2013, 02:08:13 PM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: McPhallus on April 08, 2013, 03:31:27 PM
I just thought of the perfect name for Noory's incredibly noble effort to help the least fortunate of his victims fans: Nooraid.
Ah, very good. ;D 

Then have the IRA sue him for trademark theft.

BobGrau

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 08, 2013, 02:45:54 PM

I was a kid in the eighties... The bitch snatched my milk!

stevesh

Used to be that celebration of anyone's death elicited a chorus of criticism here. I guess British politicians don't count, or most CG members have Pud on their Ignore lists, as do I.

Well, I don't personally do a jig for joy when someone I've not liked passed away, but when politics are involved, detractors aren't going to be found on just one side of the aisle (conservative/liberal).  As I recall, when Ted Kennedy died, Brietbart was practically chortling.  (No, he was not a member of this forum, obviously -- I'm just pointing to the general dynamic at play nowadays.)

We are seeing polarization becoming more and more evident (and toxic), with one side ready to deify and name a constellation after one of their fallen own, while a handful of those on the opposite side are high-fiving and squealing with glee.  Thankfully, the majority on each side maintains a reasonably quiet and respectful silence.

I don't have anyone on ignore.  Paperboy and I sure don't agree on everything (or maybe even much at all!), but I think we could hoist a beer together and have an interesting conversation.  Maybe I should change my name to Candide.

McPhallus

Quote from: West of the Rockies on April 08, 2013, 04:29:12 PM
I don't have anyone on ignore.  Paperboy and I sure don't agree on everything (or maybe even much at all!), but I think we could hoist a beer together and have an interesting conversation.  Maybe I should change my name to Candide.

Or Candida!  Just kidding.

You seem to have a sense of perspective which is a bit lacking on these forums, especially lately. You have to admit that Paperboy never descends into flame wars with anyone, and believe me, he's taken his share of hits over the years.

I have exactly two people on my ignore list. One is a leftist with so much arrogance I could no longer stand any of his posts.  And the other recent addition is a nutcase who flipped out without any warning or provocation.  I learned from another forum member that she's a lunatic.  Most of the nutcases around here get banned before they end up on too many ignore lists.

onan

I don't ignore anyone. Just because somebody pisses me off doesn't mean their very next post couldn't be relevant.

Quote from: McPhallus on April 08, 2013, 04:45:21 PM
Or Candida!  Just kidding.

You seem to have a sense of perspective which is a bit lacking on these forums, especially lately. You have to admit that Paperboy never descends into flame wars with anyone, and believe me, he's taken his share of hits over the years.

I have exactly two people on my ignore list. One is a leftist with so much arrogance I could no longer stand any of his posts.  And the other recent addition is a nutcase who flipped out without any warning or provocation.  I learned from another forum member that she's a lunatic.  Most of the nutcases around here get banned before they end up on too many ignore lists.

Candida!  Now there's a song I've not heard in 30 years!....

I think that flaming and trolling are sort of sociopathic behaviors, and quite honestly, I'm too lazy to put in such effort!  I appreciate Paperboy's attempt to support his points with some sort of evidence.  Now, he and I may disagree about World News Daily being a credible reference source (as he may dispute something I gather from Daily Kos), but I appreciate his usual civility.  Not to turn this into some sort of mutual admiration society, but I always am eager to read your take on matters, too, MacPhallus. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go stir the pot over at Redstate;D

coaster

I only have one person on ignore, and I know that person will never leave a relevant post.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on April 08, 2013, 04:50:02 PM
I don't ignore anyone. Just because somebody pisses me off doesn't mean their very next post couldn't be relevant.

A pretty fair policy. But what if...

Art Bell is coming back on April 31st! I know this because my sources have...

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 08, 2013, 06:31:24 PM
       A pretty fair policy. But what if...

Art Bell is coming back on April 31st! I know this because my sources have...
Ok, it is a safe bet some will never hit the goal. But as a mentor of mine told me a long time ago...
"pathology is its own reward."

Quote from: West of the Rockies on April 08, 2013, 04:29:12 PM
... Paperboy and I sure don't agree on everything (or maybe even much at all!), but I think we could hoist a beer together and have an interesting conversation.  Maybe I should change my name to Candide.

After all these years I finally had an Anchor Porter on tap (from the same folks that bring us Anchor Steam).  Wow!  New favorite beer for awhile.

b_dubb

with Thatcher and Funicello checking out on the same day ... someone's post had me thinking why would Richard Thimpson have a beef with Annette Funicello? oh wait ... nevermind

Anchor Steam is a good beer out of San Francisco!  It goes really with quality fish & chips....  :P

BobGrau

No, it's not right to crow over anyone's death. But you (stevesh, MV, and others) CANNOT understand how much thatcher was reviled in this country. It's not (just) about politics. She was the figurehead for a very definite movement towards a "screw you, I've got mine" mentality which made Britain in the 80's a palpably sinister place in which to grow up.

PS her death is a real tragedy, in the sense that now she can't be questioned regarding her rapist friend jimmy saville - y'know, the one that boasted he was untouchable because he had friends in high places.

the day that thatcher dies

stevesh

I only have three people on Ignore, and not because of the content of their posts. One is a childish punk who doesn't grasp the intent of this forum. Pud and the third member are on my list because of the number and (especially) the length of their posts. Posts which contain multiple partial quotes which make me navigate back to the original quoted post if I want to figure out what the quoter is referring to are almost always a waste of time. Multiple posts in a row in the same thread (always double-spaced) make me waste time scrolling, even if the content is occasionally interesting, and I think violate forum etiquette, if not rules.

Lunger

You sound like an juvenile asshat.  Britain continues to benefit from Thacher's accomplishments.  She will be missed.